gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:20:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 391003 times)
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 28, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »

All I Wanna Do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Q6qNt6qks
Surfs Up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct1HCqVwmnw
Cottonfield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIp4J5iqC1s
Farmer's Daughter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWPq527RTjI

I'm not uploading these, by the way, just finding them on YouTube. Looks like someone taped most, or all, of the deep cuts.

On Surf's Up, Jeff sings "turn around hard" instead of the correct lyric. Great effort all around but could barely hear the short parts Mike sings at the end.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 28, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »

[sigh]

Didn't take long for normal service to be resumed, did it ?
It's always the same ones.

2012: grrrr… they didn't do Surf's Up!

2015: grrrr… they did Surf's Up!

Smiley LOL :/

“We live in divisive times.”
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1102 on: May 28, 2015, 02:05:58 PM »

C'mon, more like...

2015: grrrr… they did Surf's Up! ...without BW or AJ despite them being very much alive and having hoped to continue being Beach Boys

Still, at least they are back on the videoscreens. A touching tribute to their memory. Keep it clean with stock photos of Al Jardine!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:09:16 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 28, 2015, 02:07:00 PM »

While it seems Brian had a bit of a hard time getting some songs in to the C50 set list, I doubt he was terribly keen on them doing Surf's Up, given that he has only done it with Jeff Beck since the BWPS shows, right?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 28, 2015, 02:20:21 PM »

C'mon, more like...

2015: grrrr… they did Surf's Up! ...without BW or AJ despite them being very much alive and having hoped to continue being Beach Boys

Still, at least they are back on the videoscreens. A touching tribute to their memory. Keep it clean with stock photos of Al Jardine!

+1. It is ridiculous, and Kokomaoists, don't even pretend it's not.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:23:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 28, 2015, 02:25:12 PM »

Ontor wins the thread!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1106 on: May 28, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »

I'm going to shred it into confetti and feed the poor with it. It's what Mike would've wanted.

Seriously, tho: glad some of you guys had fun at the show! I'd have been excited at some of the selections too. But Surf's Up and Til I Die? I dunno. Feels weeeeird. Might as well toss in Love and Mercy at that point, as someone else mentioned.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 02:34:20 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 28, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »

Only Mike Love would play deep cuts with his cover group instead of the BBs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 28, 2015, 02:49:51 PM »

I think I give up all hope…

“We live in divisive times.”
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: May 28, 2015, 03:28:36 PM »

C'mon, more like...

Damned if you do (the deeper cuts) and
Damned if you don't...

No amount of effort would please some people...

As Roseanne Roseanna Danna used to say..." It's always something."

There is no effort to be made which would satisfy some people. 

One can't have it both ways. 
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: May 28, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »

Only Mike Love would play deep cuts with his cover group instead of the BBs.

Like it or not, they are the Touring Beach Boys...

For years people complained that they did too many deep cuts.  

Likely before you were born.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:34:47 PM by filledeplage » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 28, 2015, 03:33:15 PM »

Mike's band gets flak for playing too many surf and car songs.
Mike's band gets flak from same people when they don't play surf and car songs and try deeper cuts.
Makes total sense to me.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 28, 2015, 03:34:02 PM »

I think I give up all hope…
Those who continue this rant with a closed mind, represent themselves.

Glad you enjoyed the show...I'm quite jealous not to have seen that setlist performed.  Wink
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1113 on: May 28, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »

Sorry, it's a bit hard to read these messages through all the tears caused by listening to "Pisces Brother." I hope you'll understand.

That said, I'm never gonna complain about any band, anywhere, playing "Farmer's Daughter." Always appropriate! Forget "Surf's Up," throw in "Finders Keepers" and "The Baker Man." Those would be fun! Marsland's band did a really energetic version of "The Baker Man" and it might be a neat one for M&B to throw in for giggles.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:43:29 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 28, 2015, 03:39:33 PM »

Sorry, it's a bit hard to read these messages through all the tears caused by listening to "Pisces Brother." I hope you'll understand.

That said, I'm never gonna complain about any band, anywhere, playing "Farmer's Daughter." Always appropriate!
Oscar Wilde - "Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

No one ever alleged that fans wept in the aisles (in the States) maybe UK feels a deeper loss with George...I wasn't there, and didn't know that you were.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1115 on: May 28, 2015, 03:42:05 PM »

I don't really like arguing with you and don't want to insult you using literary quotes, so how about I just back away gently again? Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:43:42 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1116 on: May 28, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »

Mike's band gets flak from same people when they don't play surf and car songs and try deeper cuts.
Makes total sense to me.

I actually haven't seen any but a few trolls regularly assert any longer that Mike's band plays "only the hits." For the last decade or so, probably lining up to some degree with Scott Totten's tenure in the band, Mike's band has worked in deeper cuts. While there is some subjectivity to what constitutes a "non hit" or "deep cut", and Mike's band does so many gigs per year and so many types of venues that sometimes he might still do a shorter, more hits-heavy setlist, a simple perusal of setlists will show that Mike's band has been much more pro-active in adding deeper cuts.

The criticism of doing stuff like "Surf's Up" is, as I mentioned earlier, a rather subtle, bittersweet criticism that has more to do with the context of when and how he has added such songs. As I said, his role in leaving the reunion in 2012 will continue to haunt him, in the eyes of some fans (and not just anti-Mike trolls).

I again also suggest that those pining for Mike to reunite with the other guys (and/or lamenting that he isn't still with them) is a tacit endorsement of what Mike adds to the whole.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Nicko1234
« Reply #1117 on: May 28, 2015, 03:45:12 PM »

How did I know that so many people who haven`t posted in this thread for months would reappear when Mike and Bruce started getting rave reviews...

Have yet still yet to read anything but exceptional reviews from anyone who actually attended.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: May 28, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »

*yawn* same tired Kokomaoists coming out....

Nicko1234
« Reply #1119 on: May 28, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »

You know I think it`s actually legitimate for people who enjoy watching Mike and Bruce perform to post in this thread. Only on this board could it be considered otherwise...  LOL
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 28, 2015, 04:08:36 PM »

I think the band sounded pretty great on the new additions and I liked Mike's performance on All I Wanna Do..not perfect but I very nice to hear a  sensitive performance from Mike that shows some vulnerability.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:00:43 PM by Terry » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 28, 2015, 04:45:56 PM »

There's a term for that, but every time I mention it, I'm the one who gets attacked for bringing it up, instead of the ones who are actually hammering Mike.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 28, 2015, 04:56:04 PM »

Two brilliant gigs into a tour with some great, pleasant surprises so far and all that goes on is more and more bitching and moaning from the same posters. Smile Brian's so clearly pushing an agenda yet tries to shrug off any attempt at calling him out as coming from a "kokomaoist". It's not the difference in opinions that irks me but the sheer toxicity with which he and others do it. Just STFU and enjoy the music and don't judge a live concert based on a cellphone video (this reeeeeaaaalllly should not have to be said as often as it is -- it's common sense).

But then again it's Mike and nothing he does will ever be good enough for some people. I'm looking forward to the May 31st show, gonna be my 3rd and final BB's show of the tour and it promises to be special. Probably not gonna bother checking in here afterwards because it's become a joke seeing the pettiness from the same children over and over again.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 28, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »

C'mon, more like...

Damned if you do (the deeper cuts) and
Damned if you don't...

No amount of effort would please some people...

As Roseanne Roseanna Danna used to say..." It's always something."

There is no effort to be made which would satisfy some people.  

One can't have it both ways.  

Actually, not true at all.  I am quite pleasantly surprised to see these songs added to M&B's set, truly floored at the addition of All I Wanna Do, both are moves in an excellent direction... but the fact is the "having it both ways" thing is really Mike having the BBs name back after C50 (yes, I know BRI allows it). The effort that would satisfy most people would be if the reunion had not ended the way it did, and if these wonderful songs were performed with Mike and Bruce back where they should be, which is onstage with their septuagenarian bandmates and family member(s), while all of these talented folks are still on this earth.

Mr. Positivity should have found a way to be positive enough to positively push through any non-positive vibes he was feeling, taken a brief pause to think it over, and then positively assert that he would not let the reunited BBs slip away as they did in such a positively ridiculously negative manner. So let's not pretend that there's no effort that would have satisfied people. THAT would have positively satisfied 99% of fans! C'mon Mr. Positivity! You can still do it!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:03:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 28, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »

Two brilliant gigs into a tour with some great, pleasant surprises so far and all that goes on is more and more bitching and moaning from the same posters. Smile Brian's so clearly pushing an agenda yet tries to shrug off any attempt at calling him out as coming from a "kokomaoist". It's not the difference in opinions that irks me but the sheer toxicity with which he and others do it. Just STFU and enjoy the music and don't judge a live concert based on a cellphone video (this reeeeeaaaalllly should not have to be said as often as it is -- it's common sense).

But then again it's Mike and nothing he does will ever be good enough for some people. I'm looking forward to the May 31st show, gonna be my 3rd and final BB's show of the tour and it promises to be special. Probably not gonna bother checking in here afterwards because it's become a joke seeing the pettiness from the same children over and over again.

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx