gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390964 times)
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »

Excellent show in Manchester tonight, no idea how many songs but 8pm til 11pm with a 20 min intro. Amazing to hear them do stuff like Til I Die and Kiss Me Baby, and the mini Smile set of Heroes And Villains followed by Surf's Up was certainly pleasant...

Shocked Who sang Surf's Up? I'm guessing Scott.
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 27, 2015, 04:46:40 PM »

It was Jeff who did that one
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 27, 2015, 04:48:23 PM »

Mike had to check with him beforehand that it was from Smile...  Roll Eyes
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 27, 2015, 04:49:54 PM »

Oh actually I think it was Scott and Jeff doing various bits...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 27, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »

Nice that Mike is only doing SMiLE stuff without BW. Thanks for not allowing Surf's up and Cabinessence on the C50.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1005 on: May 27, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »

Who can forget his love of the cantina verse and Our Prayer? Mike Love was always such a staunch advocate of SMiLE music and it's good to see him so proud of Brian's legacy. Hopefully he can bring this medley to Nutty Jerry's or something for us poor Americans.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:32:35 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: May 27, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »

Nice that Mike is only doing SMiLE stuff without BW. Thanks for not allowing Surf's up and Cabinessence on the C50.... Roll Eyes

I think pigs would probably fly before Mike would touch Cabinessence with a 10 foot pole. Do I recall reading that it was difficult to get Mike onboard to be enthusiastic during C50 to sing Our Prayer, but that he did relent for a small handful of shows? And has Surf's Up ever been played by M&B in the US before?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: May 27, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »

Who can forget his love of the cantina verse and Our Prayer? Mike Love was always such a staunch advocate of SMiLE music and it's good to see him so proud of Brian's legacy.
Last time I looked at the cover of Smile it had the artist as The Beach Boys. Mike has also never knocked the music, just some of Van Dyke's lyrics. Brian will be remembered just as much for I Get Around and California Girls as for Smile.  

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: May 27, 2015, 05:41:27 PM »

They also did All I Wanna Do. My jaw was on the ground. Farmer's Daughter too.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: May 27, 2015, 05:41:43 PM »

That's my take too.

All I Wanna Do was sublime - with Brian E, Scott T and Jeffrey F you have effectively three falsettos for such songs - Til I Die, Surf's Up and All This Is That were fantastic.

Bruce's voice got better as the night grew young and Disney Girls sounded better than ever, made better by the frailty in his voice in the same way that GOK benefits from Brian Wilson's older voice.

Had a nice chat with John Cowsill and his son after the gig… apparently there some some nerves about some of the "new" songs in the set but - hands down - I think this was one of the best BBs gigs I've been to in decades, and would have been up there with the C50 gigs I saw if Brian and Al had been on stage with them.

David Marks was there for a good portion of the show but probably less than half; his guitar didn't seem to be turned up throughout and some of his guitar breaks seemed initially lost. Curious.

Suspect the RAH shows are going to something else again. bring 'em on!

Thanks thanks thanks to everyone who didn't buy my Manchester ticket when offered … I was obliged to use it and came away deliriously happy.

“We live in divisive times.”
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: May 27, 2015, 05:43:05 PM »

They also did All I Wanna Do. My jaw was on the ground. Farmer's Daughter too.

NO. WAY. That is seriously awesome, no kidding. I am happily stunned.  Props to Mike for playing it. He should be very proud of that tune.

Please tell me someone recorded this...

I'm assuming Mike sang his original lead parts (just sans the falsetto bit)?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:45:29 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: May 27, 2015, 05:46:12 PM »

That's my take too.

All I Wanna Do was sublime - with Brian E, Scott T and Jeffrey F you have effectively three falsettos for such songs - Til I Die, Surf's Up and All This Is That were fantastic.

Bruce's voice got better as the night grew young and Disney Girls sounded better than ever, made better by the frailty in his voice in the same way that GOK benefits from Brian Wilson's older voice.

Had a nice chat with John Cowsill and his son after the gig… apparently there some some nerves about some of the "new" songs in the set but - hands down - I think this was one of the best BBs gigs I've been to in decades, and would have been up there with the C50 gigs I saw if Brian and Al had been on stage with them.

David Marks was there for a good portion of the show but probably less than half; his guitar didn't seem to be turned up throughout and some of his guitar breaks seemed initially lost. Curious.

Suspect the RAH shows are going to something else again. bring 'em on!

Thanks thanks thanks to everyone who didn't buy my Manchester ticket when offered … I was obliged to use it and came away deliriously happy.

Very impressive set of songs performed at your show. I am happy for you that things worked out the way that they did.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: May 27, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »

Michael is choosing some real winners for this tour. Brian and company need to pull out All I Wanna Do now.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
MaxL
Smiley Smile Associate

"It's a damn shame"

View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: May 27, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »

I've added a setlist up at setlist.fm but it's quite rusty, probably missing a few. Did notice some odd things too like how Sail On, Sailor was played very late on. Plus it's the first time I've ever seen the Boys do a one song encore. They really went all out and played as much as they could! More than makes up for the Ł100 taxi journey.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: May 27, 2015, 05:51:50 PM »

I wrote down the set as it happened with a few notes on vocalists… will try to post in the am … need shut eye now.

One more - THWFOS… just Mike, Bruce, Scott and Brian. You could have heard a pin drop. And they nailed it. Brian E is such a fine addition to the vocal strength of this lineup. And yes, nice that there's a Freshman singing with the Beach Boys on a cover of a Freshmen's song.

Dave did Getcha Back.

Dennis did Do You Wanna Dance; Carl GOK… JohnC the Heroes verses… all terrific.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: May 27, 2015, 05:52:09 PM »

I would rather take a performance of the whole NPP album with selected BBs/BW solo cuts.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: May 27, 2015, 06:01:05 PM »

That set is remarkable...I agree, it is odd to consider Mike doing these songs...I can't understand why he's so stuck on this idea that this music will ONLY be appreciated in Great Britain...it's not 1966 anymore, that article means nothing now...

"All I Wanna Do" is incredibly exciting. I bet he's in great voice for that...if that's still in the set when they get back to the states, I might have to spring for a show.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: May 27, 2015, 06:02:27 PM »

I would rather take a performance of the whole NPP album with selected BBs/BW solo cuts.
Not surprising in the least.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: May 27, 2015, 06:03:04 PM »

Michael is choosing some real winners for this tour. Brian and company need to pull out All I Wanna Do now.

I concur… And Mike should join them to sing his vocals. And they should just reunite again, dammit. Such a no-brainer. Leggo the ego and reunite!!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: May 27, 2015, 06:49:53 PM »

Great setlist! I am very jealous! Mike always rises to the occasion when Brian seems to be getting more attention and comes out stronger!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: May 27, 2015, 06:58:12 PM »

Great setlist! I am very jealous! Mike always rises to the occasion when Brian seems to be getting more attention and comes out stronger!

Well, we haven't seen with Brian has in store for us with Al & Blondie yet...if Mike can find the sense to bring this mega-show back to the states, I think the two tours will give each other quite a run for their money.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: May 27, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »

Well... damn. Looking forward to Sunday even more now. That's up in the top 5 UK setlists for sure. Can't understand anyone bitching at that.

No... wait...  LOL

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 27, 2015, 11:48:51 PM »

Well, we haven't seen with Brian has in store for us with Al & Blondie yet...if Mike can find the sense to bring this mega-show back to the states, I think the two tours will give each other quite a run for their money.

I think the two tours have, here in the UK at least, done just that albeit in different ways for a while now. But last night took M&B's show into a new realm. Brian's done some tours here which didn't come near what took place last night.

Mike's current lineup isn't just strong, but every singing member has a strong/distinctive voice, and last night every singing member had at least one lead vocal. And bear in mind, no guests - this was the regular M&B lineup.

Can't get over what an accomplished show it was. And what a generous show - was pre-warned that if would end at 10.20pm but it ran on by almost 40 minutes… the band was having a blast!

And two of those guys were on the very first records and tour dates this band ever did.

Seismic, for this lifelong fan at least.

jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 28, 2015, 12:55:43 AM »

Now I'm neither in a car nor rocking a screaming baby, I'll give slightly more expanded thoughts on last night. I've never seen M&B before and I'll confess to having had a slightly snobbish attitude that they represented the tackier end of the BB live experience. Well, not last night they didn't (barring the woman dancing on stage during Kokomo, at least). There were two moments before the gig when I started to realise how special it would be, as I was there for the VIP meet n greet stuff. Before we went into the soundcheck, you could clearly hear them playing Surf's Up (is it true from Setlist.fm that it's not been played by 'the Beach Boys' since 1975? Certainly Mike introduced it as something 'we haven't done with this, erm, configuration'). Then when we came out of the meet 'n' greet, the venue staff were changing the set time posters in the lobby to reflect the change of end time from 10.20 to 10.55. Result.

Obviously, the backing band aren't going to match the incredible sound that Brian's bigger band can achieve, but it was hard to imagine anyone playing those songs better than they were last night, and the harmonies were absolutely mindblowing. Mike's voice generally sounded a lot better than I've heard on videos or the C50 live album, and particularly on the lovely All I Wanna Do. Bruce's voice was also better than I expected from comments on here, slight and fragile but perfectly suited. And he's such a lovely goofball, who was so welcoming in the VIP bit. Obviously I've not seen them without Jeff and Brian, so I can't compare, but their vocals were magical, particularly Brian's.

I could go on and on, but it was a really special evening and I was delighted to come away with Mike/Bruce/David's signatures on my TWGMTR LP and hopefully a nice photo of Mike pointing amusedly at my Mike Love Not War t-shirt that I wore for the occasion.

So the moral is, stop being a snob and go see the Beach Boys.
Nicko1234
« Reply #1024 on: May 28, 2015, 01:12:13 AM »

I don`t think anyone could sensibly complain about the setlist. I count 20 deep cuts and many of those are genuine classics. Pretty much every comment I`ve seen about the show has raved about it unsurprisingly...

An even better setlist than 2004 or 2008 probably as Still Cruisin, Summer in Paradise and Everyone`s in Love With You have been omitted...

(and some people seem to have conveniently forgotten that Brian`s band have said that he finds it tough to sing Surf`s Up which is why he doesn`t do it anymore)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx