gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:51:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 393919 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 27, 2015, 08:07:51 PM »

From Mike's Facebook page:

---

Only a few days left to enter for a chance to win tickets! Contest ENDS April 1st.

U.K.* and U.S** fans let’s celebrate The Beach Boys’ 2015 Tour! Invite a friend to "LIKE" Mike Love's Facebook page, add a comment below on or before April 1st, telling us which Beach Boys song from the “Summer Days and Summer Nights” album is your favorite (except “California Girls”) and you and your friend will be entered for a chance to WIN tickets (2 concert tickets/passes). As an added bonus, you will get to hear YOUR song choice be played LIVE!

---

If I win and pick I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man, do you think they'll play it?

face it; IF you pick IBAMOM as your song choice,  you won't be picked as the winner.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: March 27, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »

From Mike's Facebook page:

---

Only a few days left to enter for a chance to win tickets! Contest ENDS April 1st.

U.K.* and U.S** fans let’s celebrate The Beach Boys’ 2015 Tour! Invite a friend to "LIKE" Mike Love's Facebook page, add a comment below on or before April 1st, telling us which Beach Boys song from the “Summer Days and Summer Nights” album is your favorite (except “California Girls”) and you and your friend will be entered for a chance to WIN tickets (2 concert tickets/passes). As an added bonus, you will get to hear YOUR song choice be played LIVE!

---

If I win and pick I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man, do you think they'll play it?

face it; IF you pick IBAMOM as your song choice,  you won't be picked as the winner.

Looking through the album really quick to see what they have and haven't played:

The Girl from New York City: They did this once in the 80s? I actually think M&B could do really well on this one.
Amusement Parks USA: I don't think anyone's ever done this one, but I doubt anyone would pick this as their favorite.
Salt Lake City: Supposedly M&B play this everytime they're at Salt Lake City, but I've never heard a recording.
ATIKH: Randell's only vocal, right?
Girl Don't Tell Me: Now this would be really cool to hear live. I wonder who they'd pick to do it?
Rhonda: This one's been done a million times, great Cowsill vocal, etc.
CG: Out of the running.
Let Him Run Wild: Scott knocked this out of the park at C50, but it probably won't sound as good without all the bells and whistles that band offered.
YSGTM: Well, since we all loved Bruce's performance on this...
Summer Means New Love: They won't pick an instrumental for this, especially one with an orchestra.
I'm Bugged at My Old Man: No one needs to hear this. No one.
And Your Dream Comes True: Great vocal piece, but only a fragment.

So that's six tracks M&B haven't done live, but we can probably safely rule out all of those except for The Girl From NYC and Girl Don't Tell Me.

Personally, I'm betting they choose Let Him Run Wild as the winner.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 28, 2015, 05:34:36 PM »

The Girl From NYC & Amusement Parks USA would be great M&B songs...

Girl Don't Tell Me would be interesting

California Girls, Help Me Rhonda, Let Him Run Wild, Then I Kissed Her, and You're So Good To Me really wouldn't be surprising at all...

and anything else would just be pointless...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: March 28, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »

I really wish that Randell would get more leads. He used to really shine on certain songs. I'm So Young, Good To My Baby (Brian's part) come to mind. I think that he and Jeff are very comparable in their falsettos, and both do great leads on whatever they are assigned to sing, falsetto or otherwise. I think that Randell slightly edges out Jeff on Don't Worry Baby, but Jeff does slightly better on Good Vibrations. Jeff is a much better fit on Darlin than John C, though John did an admirable job over the years. There were some setlists earlier in the year where other members covered Jeff's leads, maybe because he had a cold? It was interesting to see what was assigned to who. Scott sang Good Vibrations, John took back Darlin, Randell took back Don't Worry Baby, and also sang Carl's part on Kokomo. Mike posted the setlists on Facebook, and they were annotated accordingly. The setlists were from January 9th and 10th. Cool to know that they have very capable vocalists to take over leads when needed.

I too prefer Randell's falsettos to Foskett. They're less abrasive and seem to blend better in my opinion. Now, I've only seen Foskett back with the boys once so maybe this was just a matter of mixing, but I know I felt the same way when I saw him with B-A-D in 2013.

And I gotta say....Cowsill knocks "Darlin'" out of the park...haven't heard Foskett do it, but I find it hard to believe he does a better job than John.
They both do a great job, but I feel Jeff's lead is much closer to the original:

Jeff: The Beach Boys - Darlin: http://youtu.be/TrKk95qk100

John: Beach Boys & John Cowsill, Darlin' live Niagara F…: http://youtu.be/yv7Uf34-Q_w

I agree, they both do a great job...Foskett did better than I expected. But, it was very clean and pleasing.

I like a good ole raw Cowsill performance of Darlin'  Azn
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: March 28, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »

Give me Cowsill on that, rawer Carl like energy in 70s and 80s. Foskett too polished and more like Carl in late 90's. Mike looks ridiculous early in the Foskett clip, when he saunters over.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 28, 2015, 09:36:38 PM »

I've said it before.  With Brad Delp and Carl both no longer with us and Brian and Macca nowhere near what they used to be, I honestly think Foskett is the greatest living Pop singer out there.  I was REALLY sad to see him leave Brian's band (and side), although I have no problem with his decision, given the circumstances, and the best thing about him joining Mike and Bruce is that he gets to do more of what he really does best, and that's sing in his regular, full voice range.  Anyone who likes Carl's version of "Darlin'" and sees fault with Jeff's needs to have their head examined because they've got some serious denial issues.  Thanks for posting!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: March 28, 2015, 10:00:55 PM »

Give me Cowsill on that, rawer Carl like energy in 70s and 80s. Foskett too polished and more like Carl in late 90's. Mike looks ridiculous early in the Foskett clip, when he saunters over.

Let's not forget his choreography for "dream about you often my pretty darlin'" where he makes his hands like a pillow and then does the hourglass figure hand motion...keep it classy Mike....
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #807 on: March 28, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »

I really like Jeff's lead, mostly because it's just really solid, and because it at different times during the performance reminds me of the studio version, the late 80s/ early 90s live version, and also John C's version.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: March 28, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »

With Brad Delp and Carl both no longer with us and Brian and Macca nowhere near what they used to be, I honestly think Foskett is the greatest living Pop singer out there.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #809 on: March 28, 2015, 10:29:21 PM »

Billy Joel shouldn't be overlooked!
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: March 28, 2015, 10:33:36 PM »

Brian's played there.

Now you are doing exactly what you accused SB of doing, a bit hypocritical, is it not?  As someone once said...

"Which has precisely what to do with the subject in question, my dear little troll ? Go away, not wanted."

Cheesy

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 29, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »

The Ryman? That old dump? Wasn't it closed down once for about twenty years? Such a dive that Elvis played there once and never went back, even though he practically lived there.

Boy, the "legacy" must have dropped about five notches after playing that show.

Brian's played there.

I realize that.

I intended the post to be sarcastic. Certainly not knocking The Beach Boys for playing there. (I really need to get the photo-straightener out.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 12:02:52 PM by SonoraDick » Logged
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 29, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »

To each their own. Superb vocal from Jeff on Darlin'.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 29, 2015, 11:36:49 AM »

To each their own. Superb vocal from Jeff on Darlin'.

Very definitely. Excellent vocal.

Dunno what the hell Mike was doing but it didn't distract Jeff a bit. No doubt, Jeff's delivery directly rivals Cowsill's.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: March 29, 2015, 12:02:32 PM »

The Ryman show:

The Ryman? That old dump? Wasn't it closed down once for about twenty years? Such a dive that Elvis played there once and never went back, even though he practically lived there.

Boy, the "legacy" must have dropped about five notches after playing that show.

The Ryman Auditorium is a legendary place, home of the Grand Ol' Opry for decades.
Elvis didn't go back because he was not invited again after his first (and only) performance at the Opry. He was told to not give up his daytime job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryman_Auditorium

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #815 on: March 29, 2015, 02:32:43 PM »

Brian's played there.

Now you are doing exactly what you accused SB of doing, a bit hypocritical, is it not?  As someone once said...

"Which has precisely what to do with the subject in question, my dear little troll ? Go away, not wanted."

Cheesy

Pointed out it was good enough for BW, thus OT. So, no, it is not.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 29, 2015, 03:25:48 PM »

I thought this was the no-spin zone. Mike cannot spin his way out of killing the C50.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 29, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »

I thought this was the no-spin zone. Mike cannot spin his way out of killing the C50.

The first rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about the faults of Mike Love. The second rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about anything ever remotely being blamed on Mike Love. Them's the rules. I didn't make 'em.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 29, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »

Exactly, well played CD.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 29, 2015, 07:25:10 PM »

The first rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about the faults of Mike Love. The second rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about anything ever remotely being blamed on Mike Love. Them's the rules. I didn't make 'em.

Sounds more like the rules of Brian Wilson...most fans on here that actually go see M&B seem more than willing to poke fun at them!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #820 on: March 30, 2015, 02:32:30 AM »

Wrong: The rule is "don't use different standards". Someone indirectly accused Mike of damaging the legacy by playing at a venue he deems inappropriate, AGD remarks that Brian also played there. And Brian doesn't get snipe remarks for playing there.

It's perfectly OK to criticize Mike for his actual faults, like becoming a religious fanatic over TM in the early 70s resulting in non-meditators being removed from the scene for example. Post a rant about that, fine with me. Spewing bile over Mike for something Brian also did is IMHO hypocritical.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #821 on: March 30, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »

A swift once-over of the coverage of Mike in any given media post-1978 to date suggests your comment may be slightly wide of the mark.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:58 AM »

Wrong: The rule is "don't use different standards". Someone indirectly accused Mike of damaging the legacy by playing at a venue he deems inappropriate, AGD remarks that Brian also played there. And Brian doesn't get snipe remarks for playing there.

It's perfectly OK to criticize Mike for his actual faults, like becoming a religious fanatic over TM in the early 70s resulting in non-meditators being removed from the scene for example. Post a rant about that, fine with me. Spewing bile over Mike for something Brian also did is IMHO hypocritical.
Micha - it is a sort of "extremism" and reminds me of the workers of opposite political parties who, in their fervor to get each's candidate elected, love warring, division and pettiness. All the while, the actual "principals" have worked toward concession, rather than division.  It is what made C50 happen. Concession and profession respect.  Just like politicians who have to work together for consensus after the elections are over. 

Some have retreated after C50 to their respective intractable positions.  MIC embodies all that is good.  We are all flawed, and no one needs to point out those flaws.  Unless you're perfect.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: March 30, 2015, 10:07:44 AM »

I think this wrongly implies that criticizing Mike for something is any kind of acknowledgment or assertion that Brian has never been guilty of the same thing. We shouldn’t have to dole out equal criticism of both of these guys just so someone somewhere doesn’t jump the gun and think a poster critical of Mike about something is a hardcore “Brianista” or something.

While the original comment about the Ryman appears to have been sarcastic in nature, it’s also worth noting that as it pertains to some of the underlying issues being raised in such “criticisms” of Mike (that is, issues regarding watering down the band’s legacy, diluting the trademark, etc.) that Brian and Mike are NOT comparable in this regard. Mike tours as “The Beach Boys” while Brian tours as “Brian Wilson.” If one believes a band named “The Beach Boys” playing some dive venue damages the band’s legacy or worth or trademark value, then Brian Wilson can never be guilty of the same thing.

If anything, it’s much more common for band members to break away from a band and do solo gigs at smaller, less prestigious venues. Rarely would a solo name coming from a HUGE band be expected to be held to the same standard in terms of selling power, ability to book comparable venues and markets, etc., especially when the band in question is STILL simultaneously touring.

Also worth keeping in mind is that there have been indications that Brian in the last year or so has been given any number of “friendly reminders” from legal quarters to make sure he doesn’t over-emphasize the “Beach Boys” name in advertising his solo shows. Al alluded to this in an interview last year.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:12:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: March 30, 2015, 10:27:24 AM »

Mike tours as “The Beach Boys” while Brian tours as “Brian Wilson.” If one believes a band named “The Beach Boys” playing some dive venue damages the band’s legacy or worth or trademark value, then Brian Wilson can never be guilty of the same thing.  

True.

It's not equivalent to compare the two entities (The "Beach Boys" of today vs. Brian Wilson touring as Brian Wilson). If BW, Al, and Dave were still in the touring band called The BBs, the band would most likely not have to play the smaller, more particularly embarrassing venues, simply because there would be more perceived value in the name for that touring entity.  

And yes, I realize it's a somewhat moot point considering Brian/BRI "allows" it to happen with the M&B thing. I do wonder if there would be a "venue" of such a level that BRI would consider to be "beneath" the legacy or inappropriate to associate with The BBs name, and if they'd ever step in to deny a particular gig to happen. Like if the Westboro Baptist Church booked M&B, with Mike taking the gig, saying "hey, it's good money"... I wonder if that could cause a line to be drawn by the BRI shareholders. It's an extreme example, and I don't think that would ever happen. Just a hypothetical.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:35:00 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx