gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:14:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 393521 times)
Mr. French
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: January 10, 2015, 07:14:51 AM »

Mike & Bruce are playing a nice setlist.  Imagine our surprise at the time if the 80's Beach Boys had trotted out something like "Ballad of Ole Betsy"?  I'll be truly impressed if and when this band makes an attempt at "Surf's Up"!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: January 10, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »

I know it's just a 30 second clip...but I think we can take a lot from it!

First off, I think it further solidifies the report that Mike has a cold which seems totally evident...as is his reading of the lyrics on the floor...

Secondly, Bruce sounds GREAT! I like having the lead vocal split between them.

Hopefully this makes a return sometime soon...if they come close enough for me this year, this would surely be a highlight of the evening. The only real complaint (if you wanna call it that) is the band doesn't seem too into it...except Scott & John, as usual. Foskett looks incredibly bored...
COMMENT ---  He's not looking at lyrics (as if he needs them) on the floor, he's looking at the first three rows of people. It's a small venue. The only thing posted on the floor is the playlist.  The band may look bored to you, but remember this is the last song of the show. They've been singing and dancing around for two hours before you see this snip of time.
I would also comment that the sound is a direct feed. When you add in the acoustics of the hall (reverb and such) the sound will fill out and fill in.  Listen to the crowd reaction.  After the first short clip follows a three minute segment.
 ~swd

I was referring to the clip of "Here Today"...not "Fun, Fun, Fun" which it sounds like is what you're describing. I'm not trying to be critical, I'm very much in approval of what Mike and Bruce are doing. I've seen their show five times and don't regret any of them!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: January 10, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »

Stephen's 'review' of his night with old friends was an eye opener.  I've avoided 'the partial presentation' for years.  I'll have a chance to catch it this summer if everything works out as per the handshake agreement made up here.  The Desper 'thumbs up' is HARD to ignore or slough off. Cool Guy

Thanks Stephen.

COMMENT:

Thank you for your kind words. I did not write the review with any ulterior motives, but now that I see some of my fellow fans have delaying a trip to the theater to see the Beach Boys on one of their tours -- saying I'll catch the next one -- I'll make these further observations.

The first thing I noticed is how time has smoothed out Michael's stage delivery. He was very connected with the audience and more conjoined or personal with everyone. Sometimes he can be stand-of-ish, but I was amazed and happy to see Mike, even though he had a cold, interact with the audience in a very comfortable way. It was easy, or at ease -- he was at ease and made everyone at ease.

Bruce looked like he was genuinely having fun. He even did one of those jumps he does. Up in the air, then move the feet back and forth, then land on his feet and play the organ chord. Pretty good for his age!

The other members of the eight people on stage were quite capable of delivering good Beach Boy sounding harmonies . On the start of School Days this was most evident and on another entry where they did the entire song a cappella. The harmonies were excellent in blend and since I was in the center, spread across the stage quite convincingly. The group did give you that melt-in-your-mouth harmony blend.

The drummer, I don't know his name, would entertain any drum-addict. He had good rhythm and was animated and entertaining. When he added tasty and complex playing vamps, I was impressed. The sound of the drums was separated. I could hear each drum distinctly.

The lights were not over-done. They did compliment the stage action, but did not become the show themselves.

It was obvious to me that the entire show was in sync with the videos being projected behind the band on a large screen. This is not the way we did it when I mixed. But technology moves forward. This was something new for me.  However, I thought they pulled it off grandly. That is, I did not get any impression that the show was following a 'click-track' or cue of some kind. The show remained fluid and flowing without any sign of regimented timing. I guess that comes from having performed these songs for fifty years on stage. I said, 50 YEARS!  Can you believe it?

The bottom line for live concerts is: did the patrons get their moneys worth? Was the price of the ticket worth the time of entertainment. As a mixer, I must be very sensitive to this aspect of providing live entertainment to a crowd of thousands of listening souls. The audience reaction to the show I saw was fantastic -- and I've witnessed thousands of Beach Boy shows. These people were loving every moment of this experience. They were clapping, singing, dancing in their seats, and at one time Mike got out his phone and turned on the flashlight feature. As he sang, he moved the phone from side to side in rhythm. Everyone these days does not carry lighters, as in the past, but today everyone has cell phones. So thousands of cell phones came to be up-in-the-air, moving back-and-forth. I looked back at this display of stars-in-the-auditorium. People who did not have the flashlight feature on their cell, they used the screen light. It was so reminiscent of those concerts of, what now seems, so long ago -- when the lighters came out on ballads. Another bonding moment with Michael, as he continued to sing and jester with his cell phone for the entire song . . . the audience followed him to the end. It was an enjoyable moment for me and for all.  

So the question becomes, how much of a fan are you?  I would pay $100 per ticket for the show I saw, and I'm retired. I got comp tickets, and I think they were for fifty dollar seats. The place was packed. Bruce told me (he and I have always discussed monetary issues between us) that they make an extra $20,000 for the meet-and-greet sales of tickets. That's $500 gets you to the sound check, to eat with the crew and be visited by both Michael and Bruce, a signed poster, very good seats, a back-stage pass and a visit to the dressing room area after the show. That's forty VIP tickets to sell. He says they go fast.

As I said in the last post, consider the age of these guys. Out of six Beach Boys (the one's I know) two have gone to more advanced harmonies, Brian has his own band, and Alan is content to make guest appearances in major venues, so that leaves Michael Love and Bruce Johnston to carry the Beach Boy surfboard.  

That's reality. Take it LIVE while you can. The show is excellent. If you like the music, you will like the show.

~SWD

Thank you Stephen for your dose of reality. Sometimes we get stuck in our prejudices.

What was your first concert in service to the Beach Boys? Do you remember the city and or the supporting bands?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: January 10, 2015, 08:42:38 AM »

It is indeed refreshing to read Stephen's review.

And I'm digging that Here Today clip. I think cold or not, Mike's vocal remains compelling and essential to the song.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #504 on: January 10, 2015, 10:27:11 AM »

I guess Mike realizes that he has some limitations as a composer Rob.  Pretty hard to measure up musically or with vocal arrangements compared to those of that Brian guy.  So why try and fake it or pull one over on the public?  What would that do for the Beach Boys image?  [or for Mikes's and the touring band's bottom line?]  So then...Mike is going to have to re-imagine Wilson or he's going to have to forget the solo thing.  He has a handful of tunes which would supplement the rest.  That tribute to George Harrison he wrote...Pieces Brother is it?...went over well when he presented it for scrutiny at the event he 'did' up here in November.  They play it live as the Beach Boys too.

Stephen's 'review' of his night with old friends was an eye opener.  I've avoided 'the partial presentation' for years.  I'll have a chance to catch it this summer if everything works out as per the handshake agreement made up here.  The Desper 'thumbs up' is HARD to ignore or slough off. Cool Guy

Thanks Stephen.

I get your point and no offense but he is already faking it calling his solo act "The Beach Boys".
w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

And this is precisely why a quarantine sub board is not an unreasonable suggestion.  Old Man

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: January 10, 2015, 11:36:27 AM »

Found a clip of Cottonfields from last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR6qxFNutmo
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: January 10, 2015, 11:59:39 AM »

Here's a link to the album of concert photos from the January 3 show I posted on flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sonoradick/sets/72157650081526906/
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:07:43 PM by SonoraDick » Logged
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 10, 2015, 01:27:22 PM »

I don't post here all that often and I don't know if Scott Bennett will see this or not (and in the greater scheme of things, I guess it doesn't matter...heh) but I'd like to say that based on what I've heard via YouTube - and not taking anything away from anyone who has come before - that Scott has done an outstanding job (rhetorical question, but how do you make it sound so 'big'?) with the Beach Boys - so much so, I'd love to hear/see them if they ever come to Scotland in the future.
Couple of specific questions/comments: great guitar playing, that while different from Carl still manages to sit in there and 'swing'. Also, during the 50th tour - was that a pull-string on Cottonfields? Either way it was cool and the icing on the cake.
And generally, thanks for treating that music with the respect it deserves.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: January 10, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »

Scott Bennett ?

Beach Boys ??

Am I missing something here Huh

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 10, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »

Scott Bennett ?

Beach Boys ??

Am I missing something here Huh And you know you're not.

No, you're not missing anything.
Yes, I mistook the names 'Totten' and 'Bennett'. I  have long term memory issues, but I won't make that an excuse and so I apologise to both Scott Totten and Bennett. However, pointing that out in the manner you did is so typical of you, Andy.
I hope your interruption and my own reply to doesn't detract from my sincere appreciation of Scott's approach to the gig.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: January 10, 2015, 03:47:53 PM »

Scott Bennett ?

Beach Boys ??

Yes, I mistook the names 'Totten' and 'Bennett'. I  have long term memory issues, but I won't make that an excuse and so I apologise to both Scott Totten and Bennett. However, pointing that out in the manner you did is so typical of you, Andy.
I hope your interruption and my own reply to doesn't detract from my sincere appreciation of Scott's approach to the gig.

Gee whillkers!  You screw up the names and feel chuffed with this VERY mild rebuke?  I can see why you don't post here that often.  THAT was NOTHING....
I'd offer you should best be careful when changing the details of someone's post inside quotes.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 10, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »

Scott Bennett ?

Beach Boys ??

Gee whillkers!  You screw up the names and feel chuffed with this VERY mild rebuke?  I can see why you don't post here that often.  THAT was NOTHING....
I'd offer you should best be careful when changing the details of someone's post inside quotes.

He obviously didn't mean to change the quote.
You are rude and crude, bigass. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 10, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »

Scott Bennett ?

Beach Boys ??

Yes, I mistook the names 'Totten' and 'Bennett'. I  have long term memory issues, but I won't make that an excuse and so I apologise to both Scott Totten and Bennett. However, pointing that out in the manner you did is so typical of you, Andy.

Gee whillkers!  You screw up the names and feel chuffed with this VERY mild rebuke?  I can see why you don't post here that often.  THAT was NOTHING....

And how would you know that dumbfuck?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:59:45 PM by bgas » Logged

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 10, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »

oh boy, here we go..........!!

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 10, 2015, 04:47:25 PM »

Scott Bennett ?

Beach Boys ??

Yes, I mistook the names 'Totten' and 'Bennett'. I  have long term memory issues, but I won't make that an excuse and so I apologise to both Scott Totten and Bennett. However, pointing that out in the manner you did is so typical of you, Andy.

Gee whillkers!  You screw up the names and feel chuffed with this VERY mild rebuke?  I can see why you don't post here that often.  THAT was NOTHING....

Because I can read words and it's obvious "You know you're not" is a response to Andrew asking "Am I missing something here," you BUTTKNOCKER.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 04:51:45 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »

You know...there really was NO need to be rude to the guy to begin with.  We all make mistakes.

Lighten up boys.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 10, 2015, 05:20:07 PM »

Scott Bennett ?

Beach Boys ??

Because I can read words and it's obvious "You know you're not" is a response to Andrew asking "Am I missing something here," you BUTTKNOCKER.

No homophobic terms please  Cry

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 10, 2015, 05:28:38 PM »

No homophobic terms please  Cry

Erm, I didn't. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: January 10, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »

Best to call a timeout, go back to your respective corners, etc. Deep breaths all around, no flaming from here on out, end it now before it unnecessarily gets really ugly. No more altering quoted posts, no more name-calling, the whole bit - so no more of it all around.

What I'd suggest is if there are still issues, take them off the board via PM and hash them out one-to-one. It looks like one of these flare-ups was a misunderstanding, might be good to reach out off the board and clear the air.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 10, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »

Best to call a timeout, go back to your respective corners, etc. Deep breaths all around, no flaming from here on out, end it now before it unnecessarily gets really ugly. No more altering quoted posts, no more name-calling, the whole bit - so no more of it all around.

What I'd suggest is if there are still issues, take them off the board via PM and hash them out one-to-one. It looks like one of these flare-ups was a misunderstanding, might be good to reach out off the board and clear the air.

I wasn't even mad, I thought it was pretty hilarious that he called me a "dumbfuck" outta nowhere like that.

NOW GIVE ME A HUG.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #520 on: January 10, 2015, 06:21:14 PM »

I was just watching some reruns of "Entourage" this past week, for some reason, so the phrase "hug it out" is fresh in my mind... Grin  Good advice, actually.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 10, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »

I wasn't even mad, I thought it was pretty hilarious that he called me a "dumbfuck" outta nowhere like that.

NOW GIVE ME A HUG.

I was offended by reading Bgas' post, and not just because of the word, or name "dumbfuck", that he used (which is actually two words).  Bgas' correct spelling, or lack thereof, has stooped to an all time low with his spelling of the centuries old term "gee willikers". Let me clarify:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gee+willikers

http://www.word-detective.com/2013/07/gee-willikers/

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 07:11:09 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 10, 2015, 08:26:14 PM »

NOW GIVE ME A HUG.

I was offended by reading Bgas' post, and not just because of the word, or name "dumbfuck", that he used (which is actually two words).  Bgas' correct spelling, or lack thereof, has stooped to an all time low with his spelling of the centuries old term "gee willikers". Let me clarify:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gee+willikers

http://www.word-detective.com/2013/07/gee-willikers/

Gee Mikie, I propose you check on alot of these first:

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/27/messages/323.html

http://www.yourdictionary.com/gee-whillikers

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/whillikers

http://tureng.com/search/gee%20whillikers

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gee%20whillikers

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gee_whillikers 

https://www.pinterest.com/roo93/gee-whillikers-batman/

https://www.wordnik.com/words/gee%20whillikers

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 10, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »

Well, gee, Mr. Alot, check these out:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gee_willikers

https://www.wordnik.com/words/gee%20willikers

www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/spose/geewillikers.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080921002559AAcxT82

http://www.yourdictionary.com/gee-willikers

http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2462

https://www.facebook.com/gee.willikers.50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQnNRUfbY-M

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 08:37:46 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 10, 2015, 09:01:50 PM »

I did, I DID check this one!!!!! 
and since I know you did also, I know that you know from reading alot of the responses that the third and fourth entries refer to the Cassell Dictionary of Slang, which correctly spells the phrase as Gee wHillkers...

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx