gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:33:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 393865 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »

COMMENT:

Saw the Mike & Bruce Beach Boy show last night. It was true to its billing name, “50 Years Of The Beach Boys – Fun  Fun  Fun” as I think the sold out audience would agree, a fun, fun, fun time for all two hours.  Saw the show at Ruth Eckerd Hall, in Clearwater, Florida entertains holds 2,200 people, with good acoustics and state-of-the-art sound. (http://d1ya1fm0bicxg1.cloudfront.net/14-08222012-5035ce860644f.jpeg)

The show must have been over-sold as people were sitting to the side of the stage as well as a packed hall. As I walked through the crowded lobby, I realized that here in Florida (at least) I was edging my way through a field of gray-headed folks, many around my age. There were also teenagers, young moms and dads, many wearing short-sleeve surfing or Hawaiian printed shirts – deciding to disregard the cool weather in favor of a Surfing theme statement. These were die-hart fans! I thought to myself as I followed a security guard to the dressing room area.

Went back-stage to say hello to Bruce and Mike, but only found Bruce. He looked great, gave me a big hung, and we talked for a few minutes before I had to get to my seat, a comp set from BRI – and a good one too, Center at row 10.

The hall darkened for a few minutes of Beach Boy footage projected to a large screen forming a backdrop to the stage.  The stage was dark, very dark, so all you could see was the video. Soon we were seeing monochromatic footage of them playing on stage from a past show and starting the song Surfin’ Safari. After the lead line of the song and right in sync, the lights came up and the live, front-line of Beach Boys took over the song. Quite affective.

Bruce gave me the playlist before the show, and we reminisced how, before the days of computers and printing-made-easy, Carl would write the playlist on his hand, with changes crossed out. How the palm his hand would be black from lists. Here’s the line-up, as printed:

SURFIN
CATCH
HONDA
GOIN TO BEACH
DO IT AGAIN
SAFARI

SURFER GIRL

DON’T WORRY
DEUCE COUPE
SHUT DOWN
GET AGROUND
BETSY

BE TRUE

ROOM
WENDY
FOOLS
GROW UP
DARLIN

WARMTH
FOREVER-JS

CAL DREAMIN
SLOOP
NICE

CAL GIRLS

HEARTS
DISNEY
GOD – Carl

PISCES
VIBS

*WANNA DANCE – Bb
RHONDA
BARBARA ANN
SURFIN USA – E

KOKOMO
FUN FUN FUN – Eb

Before Bruce sang Disney Girls 57, he spoke a little about the recording of the song and pointed out some highlights for him, leading into a call-out for me to stand with acknowledgement from the stage. What an honor to stand and hear loud applause from the crowd with Bruce dedicating the song to me and saying, “This song is dedicated to you Steve, I love you man.” Very touching for me. The show ended with the two encores shown.    

As soon as I heard Mike start singing, I turned to my friend and said that Mike has a cold. He did fine for the show, but you could hear the top end of his voice was strained. It turned out he and several band members had a cold. I could tell Marc Urselli, a New York based, Grammy-winning engineer traveling with them, was doing his best to get Mike’s voice out front, as I’m certain Mike was singing very softly so as not to strain and finish the show.
You might get a feel for the show from this clip, not in a hall, but still the studio performance is a good representation:
http://queenlatifah.com/music/performances/beach-boys-perform-live/

What’s not showing in the above clip is John Stamos of Full House fame, and his on-stage antics tempered with lighthearted jesting in the company of Mike’s routine that gave the show a good uplift. He played a second drum kit, Fender guitar, and sang BG.

Here are some photos of John and Mike, typical of what I saw: >>>
https://www.google.com/search?q=john+stamos+beach+boys&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=601&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=nMKuVP3CBcjVeObag6AB&ved=0CDkQsAQ

Jeff Foskett covered for Carl's parts -- Guitar, GB's and on some songs sang lead. His is not a bad copy of Carl's vocals and blended right in. On God Only Knows, Carl Wilson sang the lead via a video of Carl from long ago wherein his part was isolated and mixed with the live group and band to give a good impression of concerts past. I felt as if dear Carl was present on stage. (Tears.) Bruce later told me their working on doing the same thing with a song of Dennis' -- with him singing.

Jeff and Mike/Bruce -- tour >>> http://www.examiner.com/article/jeff-foskett-ready-to-celebrate-50-years-of-fun-fun-fun  

Mike and I met after the show. He looked fine, but his voice was indeed challenged. He said all the shows are being sold-out and had just received word that their upcoming gig in London (Royal Festival Hall – I think) was sold-out too. He figured these shows are selling good because people realize that two 70-year old Beach Boys are not going to be doing this surfing music much longer.

While leaving the hall I overheard several couples saying what a good show it was. I agree. Of course it’s not the same as the many tours I’ve mixed with all six on stage, but still after 40-years, they still can deliver fun, fun, fun.
  ~SWD
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:45:53 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2015, 10:52:03 AM »

Thank you Mr. Desper for this great concert review.

And thank you for mixing all those BBs songs. You will always be a key player in their history  Smiley

COMMENT:

Saw the Mike & Bruce Beach Boy show last night. It was true to its billing name, “50 Years Of The Beach Boys – Fun  Fun  Fun” as I think the sold out audience would agree, a fun, fun, fun time for all two hours.  Saw the show at Ruth Eckerd Hall, in Clearwater, Florida entertains holds 2,200 people, with good acoustics and state-of-the-art sound. (http://d1ya1fm0bicxg1.cloudfront.net/14-08222012-5035ce860644f.jpeg)

The show must have been over-sold as people were sitting to the side of the stage as well as a packed hall. As I walked through the crowded lobby, I realized that here in Florida (at least) I was edging my way through a field of gray-headed folks, many around my age. There were also teenagers, young moms and dads, many wearing short-sleeve surfing or Hawaiian printed shirts – deciding to disregard the cool weather in favor of a Surfing theme statement. These were die-hart fans! I thought to myself as I followed a security guard to the dressing room area.

Went back-stage to say hello to Bruce and Mike, but only found Bruce. He looked great, gave me a big hung, and we talked for a few minutes before I had to get to my seat, a comp set from BRI – and a good one too, Center at row 10.

The hall darkened for a few minutes of Beach Boy footage projected to a large screen forming a backdrop to the stage.  The stage was dark, very dark, so all you could see was the video. Soon we were seeing monochromatic footage of them playing on stage from a past show and starting the song Surfin’ Safari. After the lead line of the song and right in sync, the lights came up and the live, front-line of Beach Boys took over the song. Quite affective.

Bruce gave me the playlist before the show, and we reminisced how, before the days of computers and printing-made-easy, Carl would write the playlist on his hand, with changes crossed out. How the palm his hand would be black from lists. Here’s the line-up, as printed:

SURFIN
CATCH
HONDA
GOIN TO BEACH
DO IT AGAIN
SAFARI

SURFER GIRL

DON’T WORRY
DEUCE COUPE
SHUT DOWN
GET AGROUND
BETSY

BE TRUE

ROOM
WENDY
FOOLS
GROW UP
DARLIN

WARMTH
FOREVER-JS

CAL DREAMIN
SLOOP
NICE

CAL GIRLS

HEARTS
DISNEY
GOD – Carl

PISCES
VIBS

*WANNA DANCE – Bb
RHONDA
BARBARA ANN
SURFIN USA – E

KOKOMO
FUN FUN FUN – Eb

Before Bruce sang Disney Girls 57, he spoke a little about the recording of the song and pointed out some highlights for him, leading into a call-out for me to stand with acknowledgement from the stage. What an honor to stand and hear loud applause from the crowd with Bruce dedicating the song to me and saying, “This song is dedicated to you Steve, I love you man.” Very touching for me. The show ended with the two encores shown.   

As soon as I heard Mike start singing, I turned to my friend and said that Mike has a cold. He did fine for the show, but you could hear the top end of his voice was strained. It turned out he and several band members had a cold. I could tell Marc Urselli, a New York based, Grammy-winning engineer traveling with them, was doing his best to get Mike’s voice out front, as I’m certain Mike was singing very softly so as not to strain and finish the show.
You might get a feel for the show from this clip, not in a hall, but still the studio performance is a good representation:

What’s not showing in the above clip is John Stamos of Full House fame, and his on-stage antics tempered with lighthearted jesting in the company of Mike’s routine that gave the show a good uplift. He played a second drum kit, Fender guitar, and sang BG.

https://www.google.com/search?q=john+stamos+beach+boys&sa=X&biw=1280&bih=601&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=nMKuVP3CBcjVeObag6AB&ved=0CDkQsAQ

Mike and I met after the show. He looked fine, but his voice was indeed challenged. He said all the shows are being sold-out and had just received word that their upcoming gig in London (Royal Festival Hall – I think) was sold-out too. He figured these shows are selling good because people realize that two 70-year old Beach Boys are not going to be doing this surfing music much longer.

While leaving the hall I overheard several couples saying what a good show it was. I agree. Of course it’s not the same as the many tours I’ve mixed with all six on stage, but still after 40-years, they still can deliver fun, fun, fun.
   ~SWD

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »

COMMENT:
Saw the Mike & Bruce Beach Boy show last night. It was true to its billing name, “50 Years Of The Beach Boys – Fun  Fun  Fun” as I think the sold out audience would agree, a fun, fun, fun time for all two hours.  Saw the show at Ruth Eckerd Hall, in Clearwater, Florida entertains holds 2,200 people, with good acoustics and state-of-the-art sound. (http://d1ya1fm0bicxg1.cloudfront.net/14-08222012-5035ce860644f.jpeg)

The hall darkened for a few minutes of Beach Boy footage projected to a large screen forming a backdrop to the stage.  The stage was dark, very dark, so all you could see was the video. Soon we were seeing monochromatic footage of them playing on stage from a past show and starting the song Surfin’ Safari. After the lead line of the song and right in sync, the lights came up and the live, front-line of Beach Boys took over the song. Quite affective.

SURFIN
CATCH
HONDA
GOIN TO BEACH
DO IT AGAIN
SAFARI

SURFER GIRL

DON’T WORRY
DEUCE COUPE
SHUT DOWN
GET AGROUND
BETSY

BE TRUE

ROOM
WENDY
FOOLS
GROW UP
DARLIN

WARMTH
FOREVER-JS

CAL DREAMIN
SLOOP
NICE

CAL GIRLS

HEARTS
DISNEY
GOD – Carl

PISCES
VIBS

*WANNA DANCE – Bb
RHONDA
BARBARA ANN
SURFIN USA – E

KOKOMO
FUN FUN FUN – Eb

Jeff Foskett covered for Carl's parts -- Guitar, GB's and on some songs sang lead. His is not a bad copy of Carl's vocals and blended right in. On God Only Knows, Carl Wilson sang the lead via a video of Carl from long ago wherein his part was isolated and mixed with the live group and band to give a good impression of concerts past. I felt as if dear Carl was present on stage. (Tears.) Bruce later told me their working on doing the same thing with a song of Dennis' -- with him singing.

Jeff and Mike/Bruce -- tour >>> http://www.examiner.com/article/jeff-foskett-ready-to-celebrate-50-years-of-fun-fun-fun  

~SWD
Thanks for that great review and those little touches such as writing the setlists on the palms with Flair pens.  And for all you've done mixing the music.  Still love your mix of Til I Die on Endless Harmony...

And a new intro...Surfin' Safari...nice to change things up...sounds like a blast!

Thanks again, Mr. Desper.   Wink
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2015, 05:11:52 PM »

The SS intro with video is not really new. Saw them open like that 7 or 8 years ago.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #479 on: January 08, 2015, 10:14:43 PM »

To clarify, it's not Surfin Safari, it's a few bars of Surfin, leading into Catch a wave. This was the intro from about 2009 to 2011 (going by memory).
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2015, 01:03:51 AM »

He figured these shows are selling good because people realize that two 70-year old Beach Boys are not going to be doing this surfing music much longer.

Beh. Sad

I suppose I need to get some money together and actually see these folks before I never have the chance to do so again. I didn't go to the 2012 reunion shows because I was a dipshit and was going through a bit of a rough patch anyway, and I kinda naively figured I'd have another chance.

MAN. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2015, 05:00:25 AM »

I've never seen Mike & Bruce.

Luckily I saw C50.

However, I was a dipshit in 2008 (is that the last time Mike and Bruce visited London except for C50?); ignorantly I didn't feel particularly inclined to go, but when I saw that setlist my jaw dropped.

I was busy when the RAH 2015 tickets went on sale the other week, and when I read that it had sold out, felt rather dipshitty again.

However, I refused to believe the hype and luckily just secured a couple of grand tier seats, which don't look too shabby.

I thought I was going to have to beg AGD to sort me out.

I have yet to aquire a companion for the evening...Runners come to London and you can have my spare ticket  3D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:10:54 AM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2015, 05:28:26 AM »

Thanks Stephen for your review!
BTW did you get to attend any of the Beach Boys shows in 2012? If so, what did you think about it?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:42 PM »

He figured these shows are selling good because people realize that two 70-year old Beach Boys are not going to be doing this surfing music much longer.

Beh. Sad

I suppose I need to get some money together and actually see these folks before I never have the chance to do so again. I didn't go to the 2012 reunion shows because I was a dipshit and was going through a bit of a rough patch anyway, and I kinda naively figured I'd have another chance.

MAN. Cry

Mike has plans for 2017. You have time.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2015, 12:33:48 PM »

Re-recordings of old songs?  Cheesy

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #485 on: January 09, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »

I guess Mike realizes that he has some limitations as a composer Rob.  Pretty hard to measure up musically or with vocal arrangements compared to those of that Brian guy.  So why try and fake it or pull one over on the public?  What would that do for the Beach Boys image?  [or for Mikes's and the touring band's bottom line?]  So then...Mike is going to have to re-imagine Wilson or he's going to have to forget the solo thing.  He has a handful of tunes which would supplement the rest.  That tribute to George Harrison he wrote...Pieces Brother is it?...went over well when he presented it for scrutiny at the event he 'did' up here in November.  They play it live as the Beach Boys too.

Stephen's 'review' of his night with old friends was an eye opener.  I've avoided 'the partial presentation' for years.  I'll have a chance to catch it this summer if everything works out as per the handshake agreement made up here.  The Desper 'thumbs up' is HARD to ignore or slough off. Cool Guy

Thanks Stephen.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:51:44 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 09, 2015, 12:53:51 PM »

And to support those re-recordings, a  concert at every existing Dairy Queen.  Smokin

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 09, 2015, 12:59:35 PM »

I guess Mike realizes that he has some limitations as a composer Rob.  Pretty hard to measure up musically or with vocal arrangements compared to those of that Brian guy.  So why try and fake it or pull one over on the public?  What would that do for the Beach Boys image?  [or for Mikes's and the touring band's bottom line?]  So then...Mike is going to have to re-imagine Wilson or he's going to have to forget the solo thing.  He has a handful of tunes which would supplement the rest.  That tribute to George Harrison he wrote...Pieces Brother is it?...went over well when he presented it for scrutiny at the event he 'did' up here in November.  They play it live as the Beach Boys too.

Stephen's 'review' of his night with old friends was an eye opener.  I've avoided 'the partial presentation' for years.  I'll have a chance to catch it this summer if everything works out as per the handshake agreement made up here.  The Desper 'thumbs up' is HARD to ignore or slough off. Cool Guy

Thanks Stephen.

I get your point and no offense but he is already faking it calling his solo act "The Beach Boys".

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 09, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »

And to support those re-recordings, a  concert at every existing Dairy Queen.  Smokin

LOL for nostalgia sake I hope they play some bowling alley's too.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: January 09, 2015, 01:21:52 PM »

Ya Rob...HE is...with the backing, support and 'permission' of Brian and the other ingredients of the whole BB package.  AND he's making them money...and taking the musical message to the masses...many of whom never had the chance to see it when it was what it was.  It is what it is.  I too have not supported it.  Maybe I've been wrong?  When Brian tours and plays songs Mike co-wrote I'd imagine HE has to pay Mike some dough too.  So...I have in that regard...supported Mike...over and above album, cd and merchandise purchases.

If Mike hadn't been doing this all along...with Bruce who celebrates 50 years since he became a Beach Boy this year...and a caste of other excellent talents...like John Cowsill who's pretty darned GREAT at it from what I can see on-line...and Jeffrey Foskett who sure hepled out Brian along these past dozen years and more...we wouldn't be happy either.

We fans sure can be dicks. LOL
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 01:24:24 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: January 09, 2015, 05:24:45 PM »

To clarify, it's not Surfin Safari, it's a few bars of Surfin, leading into Catch a wave. This was the intro from about 2009 to 2011 (going by memory).

COMMENT:  You may be correct, as your memory is doing better than mine.

And to Dave in KC, I wasn't inferring that the Carl/Screen thing was something new, I've also seen it used with other artists. What I was saying is, that for me, it worked good, it accomplished what is was set out to accomplish. It made my eyes water. In short, no one can sing this song like Carl Wilson -- and there he was virtually singing on stage.

I suppose in the future we will see not only the Beach Boys, but other acts or groups in performance by automatons or represented by mechanical men mimicking the great groups of the future's past (which we experience as present). 

~SWD
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #491 on: January 09, 2015, 06:20:33 PM »

Thanks Stephen.

COMMENT:

Thank you for your kind words. I did not write the review with any ulterior motives, but now that I see some of my fellow fans have delaying a trip to the theater to see the Beach Boys on one of their tours -- saying I'll catch the next one -- I'll make these further observations.

The first thing I noticed is how time has smoothed out Michael's stage delivery. He was very connected with the audience and more conjoined or personal with everyone. Sometimes he can be stand-of-ish, but I was amazed and happy to see Mike, even though he had a cold, interact with the audience in a very comfortable way. It was easy, or at ease -- he was at ease and made everyone at ease.

Bruce looked like he was genuinely having fun. He even did one of those jumps he does. Up in the air, then move the feet back and forth, then land on his feet and play the organ chord. Pretty good for his age!

The other members of the eight people on stage were quite capable of delivering good Beach Boy sounding harmonies . On the start of School Days this was most evident and on another entry where they did the entire song a cappella. The harmonies were excellent in blend and since I was in the center, spread across the stage quite convincingly. The group did give you that melt-in-your-mouth harmony blend.

The drummer, I don't know his name, would entertain any drum-addict. He had good rhythm and was animated and entertaining. When he added tasty and complex playing vamps, I was impressed. The sound of the drums was separated. I could hear each drum distinctly.

The lights were not over-done. They did compliment the stage action, but did not become the show themselves.

It was obvious to me that the entire show was in sync with the videos being projected behind the band on a large screen. This is not the way we did it when I mixed. But technology moves forward. This was something new for me.  However, I thought they pulled it off grandly. That is, I did not get any impression that the show was following a 'click-track' or cue of some kind. The show remained fluid and flowing without any sign of regimented timing. I guess that comes from having performed these songs for fifty years on stage. I said, 50 YEARS!  Can you believe it?

The bottom line for live concerts is: did the patrons get their moneys worth? Was the price of the ticket worth the time of entertainment. As a mixer, I must be very sensitive to this aspect of providing live entertainment to a crowd of thousands of listening souls. The audience reaction to the show I saw was fantastic -- and I've witnessed thousands of Beach Boy shows. These people were loving every moment of this experience. They were clapping, singing, dancing in their seats, and at one time Mike got out his phone and turned on the flashlight feature. As he sang, he moved the phone from side to side in rhythm. Everyone these days does not carry lighters, as in the past, but today everyone has cell phones. So thousands of cell phones came to be up-in-the-air, moving back-and-forth. I looked back at this display of stars-in-the-auditorium. People who did not have the flashlight feature on their cell, they used the screen light. It was so reminiscent of those concerts of, what now seems, so long ago -- when the lighters came out on ballads. Another bonding moment with Michael, as he continued to sing and jester with his cell phone for the entire song . . . the audience followed him to the end. It was an enjoyable moment for me and for all.  

So the question becomes, how much of a fan are you?  I would pay $100 per ticket for the show I saw, and I'm retired. I got comp tickets, and I think they were for fifty dollar seats. The place was packed. Bruce told me (he and I have always discussed monetary issues between us) that they make an extra $20,000 for the meet-and-greet sales of tickets. That's $500 gets you to the sound check, to eat with the crew and be visited by both Michael and Bruce, a signed poster, very good seats, a back-stage pass and a visit to the dressing room area after the show. That's forty VIP tickets to sell. He says they go fast.

As I said in the last post, consider the age of these guys. Out of six Beach Boys (the one's I know) two have gone to more advanced harmonies, Brian has his own band, and Alan is content to make guest appearances in major venues, so that leaves Michael Love and Bruce Johnston to carry the Beach Boy surfboard.  

That's reality. Take it LIVE while you can. The show is excellent. If you like the music, you will like the show.

~SWD
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:24:30 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 09, 2015, 10:39:18 PM »

Thirty seconds of "Here Today".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSF0t5aa30U&list=UUQThRLF3VrEXsl4yP-eYNaQ
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 09, 2015, 11:01:21 PM »

I know it's just a 30 second clip...but I think we can take a lot from it!

First off, I think it further solidifies the report that Mike has a cold which seems totally evident...as is his reading of the lyrics on the floor...

Secondly, Bruce sounds GREAT! I like having the lead vocal split between them.

Hopefully this makes a return sometime soon...if they come close enough for me this year, this would surely be a highlight of the evening. The only real complaint (if you wanna call it that) is the band doesn't seem too into it...except Scott & John, as usual. Foskett looks incredibly bored...
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: January 10, 2015, 03:40:48 AM »

I know it's just a 30 second clip...but I think we can take a lot from it!

First off, I think it further solidifies the report that Mike has a cold which seems totally evident...as is his reading of the lyrics on the floor...

Secondly, Bruce sounds GREAT! I like having the lead vocal split between them.

Hopefully this makes a return sometime soon...if they come close enough for me this year, this would surely be a highlight of the evening. The only real complaint (if you wanna call it that) is the band doesn't seem too into it...except Scott & John, as usual. Foskett looks incredibly bored...
COMMENT ---  He's not looking at lyrics (as if he needs them) on the floor, he's looking at the first three rows of people. It's a small venue. The only thing posted on the floor is the playlist.  The band may look bored to you, but remember this is the last song of the show. They've been singing and dancing around for two hours before you see this snip of time.
I would also comment that the sound is a direct feed. When you add in the acoustics of the hall (reverb and such) the sound will fill out and fill in.  Listen to the crowd reaction.  After the first short clip follows a three minute segment.
 ~swd
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:47:54 AM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #495 on: January 10, 2015, 04:18:03 AM »

I get your point and no offense but he is already faking it calling his solo act "The Beach Boys".

... with the expressed approval of two of the other three BRI members, all of whom profit from this arrangement. That no one has sought to amend this situation these last fifteen years is most instructive.

Seriously, keep trotting out this frayed old canard, you can expect to have your posts treated with the derision they deserve.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: January 10, 2015, 04:44:14 AM »

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #497 on: January 10, 2015, 05:04:26 AM »

Did Bruce sing the whole lead on "Here today"? And was it just because of Mike's cold or does he always get the lead on this?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2015, 06:11:25 AM »

Thanks Stephen.

w00t! w00t! w00t! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: January 10, 2015, 06:20:16 AM »

Eric - you are correct. Mea culpa. My bad.

That Surfin' intro is very fine, and historically dramatic...they've come a long way, baby!  Wink
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx