gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 10:03:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 392597 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2014, 08:43:55 AM »

Never been a fan of Santa's Beard , the lyrics sound weird with a nearly 74 yr old man singing about his 5 yr old brother. Should just change it to grandson, and it's  a little out of Mike's range as his voice cracks  BUT Little St. Nick sounds fantastic! No one sings that song like Mike Love.

It's just tough to truly do those Pet Sounds leads without Al and Carl. People are so used to them dominating those songs , that the modern versions just pale in comparison.  Especially when you hear Al's recent leads on them.  I also agree about Cal. Girls, pick up the tempo but sounds good.

HA! Love the grandson idea...I could totally see Mike doing that.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: December 20, 2014, 09:21:07 PM »

Love the blend... Scott. ..you and Jeff nailed it. I personally would prefer keeping it with the both of you.

I like the arrangements on these too. Nice tight sound.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 20, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »

I too, perhaps willfully, heard BB instead of "beat boys" for many years, and I will likely do so now again. Glad to know I have such company.

The Professor

While searching for the original date for the late 90's rider, I ran across this. Bedtime reading material. Note Stamo's guitar requirements. Look familiar to someone else's guitars? Sorry if it's been posted previously - didn't feel like wading through the arguments.....

http://www.zaphodproductions.com/about-us/the-beach-boys

Mikie, you are the man...how you found that...anyway, thanks for posting! Clears things up. So it's confirmed. A 2014 Beach Boys contract rider that says basically the same thing as the one on Smoking Gun about promotional materials and advertising for the concerts.

All promotional materials and advertising must be approved. Which means however much anyone wants to read into that regarding statements made in these press releases, errors made in those press releases, and various correct or incorrect promotional materials used in those press releases.

Nice find, Mikie. That helped clear up some doubts or debates about the contract situation.

Amazing find. Bravo Mikie. However, as regards the highlighted bit, I have this to say: at work, I have a thing called "proceedure", which states how things must be done, and of course so does everyone else in employment, from brain surgeons down to road sweepers. This is part of my contract and must be strictly adhered to, on pain of disciplinary action. Except... I don't. Like everyone else, I cut corners, or do things my way. Because... it's human nature. Sometimes, it's unavoidable, as in keeping no more than £XXX in the till at any time: other times, it's just a pain to follow, so I don't because it's easier. So, I'm guessing (and I'll check, later) that either not every single item of promo material is signed off, or that the venue & promoters don't submit everything for approval. Over the last few years I've brought several examples of what we're discussing to the attention of Mike's people, and every single time, they've expressed exasperation, not gone "oops, my bad" (er, as if they would...).

And while I'm here, to answer a small section of sweetdudejim's outstanding post, I give Cam & Pinder something of a pass because, while they're certainly playing essentially the same tune, they do vary the melody line somewhat, they do refrain from provocative and profane language while so doing, and they do post on other topics.

Am I starry eyed ? No. I'm 59 and deeply cynical. Am I hugely flattered (and surprised) that first Bruce, then Mike, initiated contact with me on a personal level and let me become, if not a friend, then certainly an acquaintance ? sh*t yes, of course, just as you would be. Am I a fully paid-up member of Club Kokomo ? 'Course not, but I'm not arrogant enough to deny any bias. Jon had a leaning towards David, Ray's been Brian's close friend for decades (and en passant, I'm pleased and proud to call Ray a friend, online and in real life), I tend to stand up for Mike (especially when it all gets very, very silly, or personally abusive). But above all, we're Beach Boys fans. All of... actually, no, on recent evidence, not all of us here are Beach Boys fans. The vast majority of us here are beach Boys fans first and foremost. I loved the music way before I knew who was who and I wish with every fiber of my being I was still in that state of blissful ignorance and just digging the songs. But I don't have a Delorian.

This board has its spasms every now and them, like a dog shedding fleas and when that's done, it plods on until the next upheaval. Nothing much ever changes. It's like work: generally I like it a lot, but I don't like everyone involved.

Let Dobie Gray have the final word:

And when my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' through to soothe me

Thanks for the joy that you've given me
I want you to know I believe in your song
And rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You've helped me along
Makin' me strong

Oh, give me The Beach Boys* and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away...

[* I know. Shut up.  Grin]

ArchStanton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 21, 2014, 05:21:07 AM »

Had a chance to see the show last Sunday. I'm a huge Brian Wilson fan, and I guess I'm supposed to hate Mike, I don't know--but I don't. He's corny, and whatnot, and hits every old guy joke, but it's a fun night and he may be 73, and looks it, but somehow he sounds the exact same as he did 50 years ago to my untrained ears. And I don't dance. Ever. But I had my six-year old daughter with me, and it's the Beach Boys, or what passes as them, and nearly everyone else was sitting down because they could relate very well to Mike Love's jokes, but she wanted to dance and so yeah, I danced, or made an attempt anyway.

Fun night.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: December 21, 2014, 08:29:35 AM »

I'm a huge Brian Wilson fan, and I guess I'm supposed to hate Mike,

Awwww, don't fall for that old myth! Cheesy Good you enjoyed yourselves. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »

An IEM recording of the 12-13-14 Spencer, Iowa show is out there. Really nice quality.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: December 27, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »

Why post this concert memory of a 70s show here? Because there's a video advertisement for the "Mike&Bruce show"'s concert on Jan. 10th at the bottom:

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2014/12/charles-parker-beach-boys-concert-unforgettable/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 27, 2014, 06:17:44 AM »

Why post this concert memory of a 70s show here? Because there's a video advertisement for the "Mike&Bruce show"'s concert on Jan. 10th at the bottom:

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2014/12/charles-parker-beach-boys-concert-unforgettable/
That was a great little read!

Sure, "brings it back" with the eight-tracks!

Etc.  LOL

Thanks, Rocker!  Wink
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 06:18:48 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: December 27, 2014, 07:11:40 AM »

Arch...I've made a decent living over these past 40-some-odd-years using my voice to do it.  A man far more experienced than I...[and WAY more successful as well] told me many times..."Lee...the LAST thing to go is the voice."  So I figure he, and I...and MIKE...are good to go for a little while longer.  [Ya-hooo!!!]

And just because I think the world of Brian Wilson's talents...and that the Beach Boys never would have gotten off the sea shore without him...Mike's contributions were HUGE and extremely important too.  Hating him is NOT required, necessary or even helpful.  [Doesn't mean you have to love him...but... Cool Guy]

I mean really...how can you love the beauty of those collective voices, arrangements, and that specific music....and hate? Huh

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 27, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »

The Space Coast Daily has been running BB-related stories or videos almost daily since that M&B concert was announced. The show seems to be getting good publicity, at least as far as my Google BB newsfeed goes.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the Foskett Beach Boys.  I imagine the sound is quite different than the Christian Love Beach Boys.     The added musicianship just has to be a plus as well.  anyone seen this show who has seen M & B in recent years without him?   I must have missed a discussion of this........How do the shows compare?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 02, 2015, 10:12:48 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the Foskett Beach Boys.  I imagine the sound is quite different than the Christian Love Beach Boys.     The added musicianship just has to be a plus as well.  anyone seen this show who has seen M & B in recent years without him?   I must have missed a discussion of this........How do the shows compare?

I've only seen M&B once since the switch from Christian Love to Foskett so I can't truly compare it to the four concerts I saw with Christian. However, I think musically it was a better blend with Christian's voice. However, Foskett definitely has a better stage presence with M&B than Christian did. He never really looked like he enjoyed it all that much whereas Foskett fits right in to doing a guitar huddle on "Little Honda" or guitar bows on "Barbara Ann" or whatever the case may be. It's overall more visually pleasing and ultimately, I think that's what most of the audience at the concerts I've attended will remember. They'll leave saying something like "Golly-gee Pearl, weren't those guys just the darndest up there swaying back in forth together? And that Bruce Johnston was a-clappin'!" as opposed to saying something like "Didn't the harmonies on Why Do Fools Fall in Love sound extra top-heavy this evening?"

Just my observation...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: January 02, 2015, 10:16:20 PM »

To his credit, when asked Christian always made it clear that playing with his father was never anything more than a paying gig.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 02, 2015, 10:47:41 PM »

AGD I just want to shed some light on your comments about Christian.  You seem to be taking some passive aggressive shots at him, which I would like to help elaborate on.  You are right this was just another paying gig for Christian.  It got to be that way do to some internal politics in the touring BB.  Christian had been with the band 8 years and had asked for a raise and was not given a raise once in 8 years.  He had also asked a weekend off in September 2013 and was subsequently given off the entire month of October 2013 which amounted to a heft 4 figure loss of income for Christian.  Christians leaving was a confluence of internal politics, and a desire to write more original music. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: January 02, 2015, 10:52:26 PM »

Wow...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: January 02, 2015, 11:00:16 PM »

AGD I just want to shed some light on your comments about Christian.  You seem to be taking some passive aggressive shots at him, which I would like to help elaborate on.  You are right this was just another paying gig for Christian.  It got to be that way do to some internal politics in the touring BB.  Christian had been with the band 8 years and had asked for a raise and was not given a raise once in 8 years.  He had also asked a weekend off in September 2013 and was subsequently given off the entire month of October 2013 which amounted to a heft 4 figure loss of income for Christian.  Christians leaving was a confluence of internal politics, and a desire to write more original music. 

Not taking any kind of shot at him at all - just repeating what he's said in interviews, and in personal conversation. 5 Alarm and beach volleyball always topped his list of priorities.

I find your use of the phrase "passive-aggressive" most informative.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 02, 2015, 11:11:18 PM »

Just wanted to put Christians side of the story out there that's all.  He was subjected to some crappy internal politics which is truly a shame.  I agree with the earlier post about the vocal blend being better with Christian in the touring band.  Christian certainly had some similar tonalities to Carl.  In my opinion his talents were under utilized.  The few times I heard him sing lead on God Only Knows before they started piping in Carl were nothing short of amazing.  Quite honestly his lead vocal really put Bruce's to shame.  There is a video somewhere on YouTube from 2011 and it is awesome.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 02, 2015, 11:13:46 PM »

Never been a fan of Santa's Beard

"Santa's Beard" is probably the first Beach Boys song I ever heard - it's certainly the first I remember. About twenty years before I actually got into the band, my mom had some Christmas cassette with this song on it and I really liked that song. Kinda holds a special place in mah heart. Cry

YOU BE NICE TO "SANTA'S BEARD" DAMN EHT Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 03, 2015, 01:22:48 AM »

Bruce also has said more or less its just a paying gig or business to him.

Man, it seems regardless of what 'family' are involved, personal conflict and The Beach Boys are never far apart.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 03, 2015, 07:04:38 AM »

If that's true, then yeah.. what Billy said..
KittyKat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: January 03, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »

How does Christian make a living playing beach volleyball and playing occasional gigs with an indy band no one ever heard of?  Surely the Beach Boys gig had to pay more, even if he never got a raise.
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 03, 2015, 05:04:22 PM »

With out getting into his personal finances, I believe that he owns a rental property or 2.  And from knowing him, he saves everything.  He has a hard time throwing anything away. 
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2015, 06:50:54 PM »

Just wanted to put Christians side of the story out there that's all.  He was subjected to some crappy internal politics which is truly a shame.  I agree with the earlier post about the vocal blend being better with Christian in the touring band.  Christian certainly had some similar tonalities to Carl.  In my opinion his talents were under utilized.  The few times I heard him sing lead on God Only Knows before they started piping in Carl were nothing short of amazing.  Quite honestly his lead vocal really put Bruce's to shame.  There is a video somewhere on YouTube from 2011 and it is awesome.

Having heard Christian in an off-stage setting his voice to my ears at least is more Dennis circa 1970 than Carl at any time.

As for being "subjected to some crappy internal politics" it's still a gig most musicians would walk across broken glass for.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: January 03, 2015, 07:46:49 PM »

As long as he's happy, that should be enough.

SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 03, 2015, 11:36:37 PM »

Looking forward to seeing the Foskett Beach Boys.  I imagine the sound is quite different than the Christian Love Beach Boys.     The added musicianship just has to be a plus as well.  anyone seen this show who has seen M & B in recent years without him?   I must have missed a discussion of this........How do the shows compare?

Just saw the Beach Boys tonight in Tucson, and I will say without any question that I think this is the best they've sounded since Carl died.

They did at least three songs I don't recall hearing the group perform live before ... "Here, Today" (I know, of course, Brian has done this, at least on the Pet Sounds tour), "Good To My Baby", & "You're So Good To Me". If any of these are or have been regulars, chalk it up to an Old Guy's memory. Shortly after the Carl GOK segment, they showed a video (newly discovered, Mike said) of Denny pounding away on his drums while playing an audio of him singing "Do You Wanna Dance?" (not the released version).

Jeffrey definitely does some heavy lifting; in addition to the leads and parts you'd expect from him, he took "Darlin' " tonight. Thought that was Cowsill's.

The other big news... Bruce wore pants. I had to do the package since I got our tickets late, so I did get to speak with him before the show. Apparently others have brought this up before, because he was real quick with his response. Me: "Bruce; you're in Tucson. Where's the shorts?" Bruce: "At the cleaners!" Later, when he signed an old cd I brought, I told him I would have brought "Going Public" but had heard he didn't sign that one. He said he did, and then added "And my next one will be called 'Going Private' ".  I think he's said that before, hasn't he?

One other thought... Their video screens are really terrific. Tons of photos of everybody. A better presentation than I remember from C50.

A really fun night.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:41:51 AM by SonoraDick » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx