gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:10:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 393826 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 08, 2014, 08:22:37 PM »

Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 08, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »

Keeping going Pinder, someday you will convince somebody.....

Man, really! Haven't you been sated for one day calling Mike a fucking slimeball?

I'll bet it felt good ...... Can it be enough for now?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 08, 2014, 08:26:25 PM »

If one is to consider Mike the "producer" of Endless Summer, or if he at one point stated himself as such, it probably has about as much meaning as the "executive producer" credit on TWGMTR, meaning that it's a credit that doesn't ultimately mean very much.

I'll throw a genuine bone of empathy Mike's way in that he surely was (and will probably forever be) scarred from the injustice of being denied proper co-writing credits during the 60s, and that really messed up his brain. It damaged him somehow, and I can understand that.

The fact that Mike somehow kept those feelings inside (unless one could consider other actions of his as passive aggressive venting over the real injustice) must have set off something in him to want to actively pursue and inflate credits, like the "concept album" nonsense, in the future. This is a stark contrast to Dennis Wilson's "You Are So Beautiful" crediting omission, which Dennis seemed to more casually brush off in his lifetime (although one must wonder how the official crediting for that song would have played out if Dennis had lived... would a cleaned-up Dennis at some point have tried to pursue a credit, especially at a time of financial hardships?)

I agree with you completely regarding Dennis..... It even hurts to imagine what that sort of good break could have done for him ..... Though Dennis was thrown some pretty amazing good breaks in his life, as it was ......

"concept album nonsense?" ...... See this is where there seems to be a schism between certain cabals of posters here .... Some take a silly PR fluff piece (the kind there is no shortage of in show biz) and go onto hysterics over something like "Mike Love's concept album" and then toss out their opinion on such a statement being so horrendous as basically evidence that the statement is unequivocally false ...... And then there are others who will read such a statement but then take a step back and think past their own emotional reaction and admit that, though the statement IS something of a stretch, there are still enough traces of logic to determine that reasons for getting upset over it are quite slim to none....

Mike Love has every right to call Summer In Paradise his "concept album"; it's his baby, through and through, and it was apparently written and conceived from the onset as the perfect summer record, or something to that effect.

One cannot call a greatest hits package, or what amounts to a prehistoric iTunes playlist, as a "concept album".  One cannot retroactively compile a list of pre-released (and previously re-released, and so on) songs and call it a concept album. If they could, then the random, anonymous Capitol suit who inexplicably put Frosty The Snowman on a late 60s BBs greatest hits LP should be able to proclaim himself as a concept album creator. It's absurd (even if Mike co-wrote a bunch of the old songs).

How the project went from what Capitol had assembled and had plans to release as "Greatest Hits vol. 3" into becoming a "concept album" envisioned by Mike because he suggested a different title remains a mystery to me, at least. A Greatest Hits package is a Greatest Hits package, no matter what someone labels it. That's one of the points which I'd like to see at least expanded on a little, because at this point even the premise of the statement doesn't match what the album actually was or how it was created.

I suppose someone could take a 1/2 pound of raw ground beef, garnish it, put it on a plate and advertise it for $29.99 labeling it as "steak tartare", but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a 1/2 pound of raw ground beef on a plate surrounded by garnish and people would know the difference.

I've used a tiny sliver of spare logical reasoning to explain how (not to everyone, sure) Endless Summer can be considered a concept album, but you choose to ignore it and continue with the wide-eyed exasperation tactic.

I'm sure that the vast, majority of people, music fans, if you ask them what a "concept album" is, would not think this is a term that would apply retroactively to old songs being assembled together. I mean, you can call anything anything if you really want to, but what meaning does it have? You can call a burlap sack a dress suit, and why would I have the right to question you on that?

I'm just saying that it's a big stretch to use the term, and for the term to be used would, in my estimation, be more geared toward less discriminating people who might read such a press release (ie. people who wouldn't fact-check what that album actually was/is), and would just read it and think it adds a layer of legitimacy to the person they reading about. And hell, I suppose that constitutes a large swath of the M&B crowd anyway (people who don't even really know/care about the names of the BBs onstage, past or present). It just seems like a paper-thin argument to call it a concept album, and under close examination, it feels a bit like false advertising.

Yeah, you're right. It is odd and rare and a stretch, but since someone DID call it such, then it's worth examining as such.

I remember David Gilmour referring to the "Echo's" double CD "best of" thing as something of a concept album since the songs had been partially re-edited and mixed to flow from one to another as a continuous experience.....

At the time I took it as the Floyd just being a bit leery of and generally disliking greatest hits albums, but I have come to consider the package as having something of a concept ..... I see no reason to be angry with The Floyd for this.

If there's actually some new editing/remixing, etc done, then the argument I suppose could get a tiny bit better, but it still seems cheap. And coming from The Floyd, I'd also think that's a lame claim to make, seeing as they have other, multiple truly legit from the ground up concept albums under their belt.  I never said Mike Love isn't the only guy who can make a silly claim like that. If Gilmour did it too, then I think it's near-equally as hogwash a statement. Just my opinion.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »

If one is to consider Mike the "producer" of Endless Summer, or if he at one point stated himself as such, it probably has about as much meaning as the "executive producer" credit on TWGMTR, meaning that it's a credit that doesn't ultimately mean very much.

I'll throw a genuine bone of empathy Mike's way in that he surely was (and will probably forever be) scarred from the injustice of being denied proper co-writing credits during the 60s, and that really messed up his brain. It damaged him somehow, and I can understand that.

The fact that Mike somehow kept those feelings inside (unless one could consider other actions of his as passive aggressive venting over the real injustice) must have set off something in him to want to actively pursue and inflate credits, like the "concept album" nonsense, in the future. This is a stark contrast to Dennis Wilson's "You Are So Beautiful" crediting omission, which Dennis seemed to more casually brush off in his lifetime (although one must wonder how the official crediting for that song would have played out if Dennis had lived... would a cleaned-up Dennis at some point have tried to pursue a credit, especially at a time of financial hardships?)

I agree with you completely regarding Dennis..... It even hurts to imagine what that sort of good break could have done for him ..... Though Dennis was thrown some pretty amazing good breaks in his life, as it was ......

"concept album nonsense?" ...... See this is where there seems to be a schism between certain cabals of posters here .... Some take a silly PR fluff piece (the kind there is no shortage of in show biz) and go onto hysterics over something like "Mike Love's concept album" and then toss out their opinion on such a statement being so horrendous as basically evidence that the statement is unequivocally false ...... And then there are others who will read such a statement but then take a step back and think past their own emotional reaction and admit that, though the statement IS something of a stretch, there are still enough traces of logic to determine that reasons for getting upset over it are quite slim to none....

Mike Love has every right to call Summer In Paradise his "concept album"; it's his baby, through and through, and it was apparently written and conceived from the onset as the perfect summer record, or something to that effect.

One cannot call a greatest hits package, or what amounts to a prehistoric iTunes playlist, as a "concept album".  One cannot retroactively compile a list of pre-released (and previously re-released, and so on) songs and call it a concept album. If they could, then the random, anonymous Capitol suit who inexplicably put Frosty The Snowman on a late 60s BBs greatest hits LP should be able to proclaim himself as a concept album creator. It's absurd (even if Mike co-wrote a bunch of the old songs).

How the project went from what Capitol had assembled and had plans to release as "Greatest Hits vol. 3" into becoming a "concept album" envisioned by Mike because he suggested a different title remains a mystery to me, at least. A Greatest Hits package is a Greatest Hits package, no matter what someone labels it. That's one of the points which I'd like to see at least expanded on a little, because at this point even the premise of the statement doesn't match what the album actually was or how it was created.

I suppose someone could take a 1/2 pound of raw ground beef, garnish it, put it on a plate and advertise it for $29.99 labeling it as "steak tartare", but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a 1/2 pound of raw ground beef on a plate surrounded by garnish and people would know the difference.

I've used a tiny sliver of spare logical reasoning to explain how (not to everyone, sure) Endless Summer can be considered a concept album, but you choose to ignore it and continue with the wide-eyed exasperation tactic.

I'm sure that the vast, majority of people, music fans, if you ask them what a "concept album" is, would not think this is a term that would apply retroactively to old songs being assembled together. I mean, you can call anything anything if you really want to, but what meaning does it have? You can call a burlap sack a dress suit, and why would I have the right to question you on that?

I'm just saying that it's a big stretch to use the term, and for the term to be used would, in my estimation, be more geared toward less discriminating people who might read such a press release (ie. people who wouldn't fact-check what that album actually was/is), and would just read it and think it adds a layer of legitimacy to the person they reading about. And hell, I suppose that constitutes a large swath of the M&B crowd anyway (people who don't even really know/care about the names of the BBs onstage, past or present). It just seems like a paper-thin argument to call it a concept album, and under close examination, it feels a bit like false advertising.

Yeah, you're right. It is odd and rare and a stretch, but since someone DID call it such, then it's worth examining as such.

I remember David Gilmour referring to the "Echo's" double CD "best of" thing as something of a concept album since the songs had been partially re-edited and mixed to flow from one to another as a continuous experience.....

At the time I took it as the Floyd just being a bit leery of and generally disliking greatest hits albums, but I have come to consider the package as having something of a concept ..... I see no reason to be angry with The Floyd for this.

This is another example of something that never would have existed if Dennis or Carl were still here. I highly doubt we'd ever see a BB press release with the Mike Love Concept Album statement.

But hell, I suppose if M&B = the BBs, then Endless Summer can be Mike Love's Concept Album. I think the legitimacy level is about equal on those.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:28:58 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 08, 2014, 08:28:22 PM »

If there's actually some new editing/remixing, etc done, then the argument I suppose could get a tiny bit better, but it still seems cheap. And coming from The Floyd, I'd also think that's a lame claim to make, seeing as they have other, multiple truly legit from the ground up concept albums under their belt.  I never said Mike Love isn't the only guy who can make a silly claim like that. If Gilmour did it too, then I think it's near-equally as hogwash a statement. Just my opinion.

Fair enough. I can fully accept that argument Smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 08, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »

This is another example of something that never would have existed if Dennis or Carl were still here. I highly doubt we'd ever see a BB press release with the Mike Love Concept Album statement.

But hell, I suppose if M&B = the BBs, then Endless Summer can be Mike Love's Concept Album. I think the legitimacy level is about equal on those.

In the end it's just a silly press release.....

I tend to stay as clear as I can of such things ..... Even when I agree, PR fluffing just rubs me the wrong way most always ......
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 08, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »

So, basically, it's an incredibly stupid claim, but one that we can grudgingly accept is true?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 08, 2014, 08:33:12 PM »

So, basically, it's an incredibly stupid claim, but one that we can grudgingly accept is true?

Kind of like M&B equaling The Beach Boys. Grudging agreement. Yeah, um, I guess so.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 08, 2014, 08:36:17 PM »

Hey, who do we have to thank for creating the original schism to where it's perfectly OK for all Beach Boys not to appear on stage together?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 08, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »

Hey, who do we have to thank for creating the original schism to where it's perfectly OK for all Beach Boys not to appear on stage together?
And that was what I meant about anti-BW posts!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:07 PM »

And that was what I meant about anti-BW posts!

How is it an anti Brian post?

Did I call him a fucking slimeball and somehow forget in the space of 10 seconds?

I point out a simple fact ..... No judgements.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 08, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »

The sarcasm was all over that post against BW's nervous breakdown.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 08, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »

If the circumstance for the schism is because the overly-stretched-too-thin brains of the operation wanted to take time off the road to write gorgeous songs for the group, thus funneling a bunch of super awesomeness right back into the group to make the group even better... then yeah, I'll give that schism-causer a pass.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 08, 2014, 08:42:15 PM »

If the circumstance for the schism is because the overly-stretched-too-thin brains of the operation wanted to take time off the road to write gorgeous songs for the group, thus funneling a bunch of super awesomeness right back into the group to make the group even better... then yeah, I'll give that schism-causer a pass.

I give him a pass too, but, ya know ..... Brian could have put his foot down and said The Boys would only tour when he was ready ......

All in all, it created the reality where ALL Beach Boys were not necessary for The Beach Boys to tour and play live.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 08, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »

But it isn't just Brian...it's almost all of them really. Actually, I'd go as far as to say it's all of them except Mike Love.

Alan was really the first to approach his involvement this way, of course, his was probably the most legitimate and/or honorable of all excuses.

Then David's quiet removal...Brian's breakdown...Dennis's drunken days...Carl's solo excursions.

The Beach Boys have always been a pretty faceless entity as far as live shows...EXCEPT, I think most people know that they're gonna see that nasal guy with the ball-cap front and center when they go to a concert.

So the problem occurs because people know the NAME: Brian Wilson (as they damn well should). Thus, you get the general public which I believe takes the name Brian Wilson without much or any history and associates that with the live show. However, I don't think this started at all because of C50 or the lineup changes to follow.

The Beach Boys did this to The Beach Boys from the beginning. That's it.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:11 PM »

But it isn't just Brian...it's almost all of them really. Actually, I'd go as far as to say it's all of them except Mike Love.

Alan was really the first to approach his involvement this way, of course, his was probably the most legitimate and/or honorable of all excuses.

Then David's quiet removal...Brian's breakdown...Dennis's drunken days...Carl's solo excursions.

The Beach Boys have always been a pretty faceless entity as far as live shows...EXCEPT, I think most people know that they're gonna see that nasal guy with the ball-cap front and center when they go to a concert.

So the problem occurs because people know the NAME: Brian Wilson (as they damn well should). Thus, you get the general public which I believe takes the name Brian Wilson without much or any history and associates that with the live show. However, I don't think this started at all because of C50 or the lineup changes to follow.

The Beach Boys did this to The Beach Boys from the beginning. That's it.

you put that much better than I could....

I don't think Brian requires or needs, or wants, his fans to be so overly sensitive about him that they can't withstand any mere mention of any of his problems and/or the effect they had on the band ...... Especially if they're perfectly capable of turning around and calling his cousin a fucking slimeball.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: December 08, 2014, 08:54:52 PM »

Brian was missing shows before his breakdown, back when Dave was still in the group. He really didn't enjoy touring that much back then.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: December 08, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »

Especially if they're perfectly capable of turning around and calling his cousin a fucking slimeball.

Ok, this has been mentioned enough times to suggest putting an end to repeating and reposting it. The point has been made, no need to keep hammering it into the ground.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 08, 2014, 08:57:17 PM »

Especially if they're perfectly capable of turning around and calling his cousin a fucking slimeball.

Ok, this has been mentioned enough times to suggest putting an end to repeating and reposting it. The point has been made, no need to keep hammering it into the ground.

If it's perfectly OK to post it in the first place, then it's perfectly OK to talk about it.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: December 08, 2014, 08:57:57 PM »

Way to keep it classy.  This is the second time you've trivialized Brian's debilitating problems, only last time you were quick to delete any evidence.  So when someone acts like an @ss publicly it is wrong to opine and call him out on it, but it's ok to criticize and blame Brian for things that were largely out of his control?  Oh that's right, as you said before (also deleted) you enjoy lashing out at Brian and his mental illness in order to get revenge on people for saying bad things about Mike.

Pinder, you are awesome.

EoL

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 08, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

Way to keep it classy.  This is the second time you've trivialized Brian's debilitating problems, only last time you were quick to delete any evidence.  So when someone acts like an @ss publicly it is wrong to opine and call him out on it, but it's ok to criticize and blame Brian for things that were largely out of his control?  Oh that's right, as you said before (also deleted) you enjoy lashing out at Brian and his mental illness in order to get revenge on people for saying bad things about Mike.

Pinder, you are awesome.

EoL

You mean I should have just called him a fucking slimeball?

Brian's problems understood and respected: you think Mike Love doesn't have human feelings and emotions and tragedy in his history?

I'm not trivializing Brian's troubles at all. I simply pointed out that all Beach Boys not being necessary on stage at all times is a reality that was created long long ago.

Where did I say anything insulting about Brian? When did I call him anything that involved cuss words?

I did not.

As for "removing evidence" ..... You mean a poster on occasion realizing they went over the line and then edited their message ....... Wouldn't this be a good thing?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 09:03:10 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 08, 2014, 09:02:02 PM »

This is why people don't like Beach Boys fans  LOL

Frankly, this is why people don't like The Beach Boys...sometimes it's just not worth the fandom. Put the records on and enjoy...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: December 08, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »

If it's perfectly OK to post it in the first place, then it's perfectly OK to talk about it.

Wasn't ok in the first place, though.

But yeah, this going back and forth is getting tiresome,  and I'm *not* just talking to you, either.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:27 PM »

This is why people don't like Beach Boys fans  LOL

Frankly, this is why people don't like The Beach Boys...sometimes it's just not worth the fandom. Put the records on and enjoy...

Amen.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: December 08, 2014, 09:04:51 PM »

You mean I should have just called him a fucking slimeball?

To keep repeating this, it's now been at least 6 times so far, is getting into baiting/provoking territory, and I'll repeat again it does not need to be reposted another time.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx