gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:09:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 391032 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: May 11, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »

I think around the time of C50, and/or other times, there were a few interesting threads here about the debate of staying seated versus standing/dancing, etc. The ultimate take-away I had from the discussion was that standing/dancing and blocking someone’s view behind you was a bigger hindrance to the people getting their view blocked than someone who wants to stand/dance are hindered by having to stay seated.

Obviously, a polite request (perhaps with an explanation, such as someone having trouble standing or moving around due to back problems, etc.) for someone to not stand and block the view is nicer than some guy yelling like he’s yelling at kids to get off his lawn. I’m also guessing (and many folks in person have agreed) that the median or average age of attendees at Mike’s shows tends to be on the older side. Considering I’ve been to concerts by bands whose members weren’t born when the BB’s started yet who already have aging fans who prefer to be seated, I’m not surprised people want to sit and actually *see* the concert that probably cost significantly more than five or ten bucks.

I was at a Frampton concert a few years back and experienced the oddest thing: The opposite. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the show, applauding and cheering wildly, but pretty much remaining seated. I wasn’t getting any sort of “old fuddy duddy” vibe from the audience. And there was one lady literally angrily yelling at people for not standing and dancing. My favorite part: Mid-way through the set Frampton whipped out some new track that the lady (who probably just remembers owning “Frampton Comes Alive” thirty years ago) didn’t know, and she angrily screamed “I don’t know this one!” As if Frampton should stop and just play “Show Me the Way” again or something.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:34:51 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #951 on: May 11, 2015, 12:33:59 PM »

I had lawn seats for one of the C50 shows, and the audience was pretty sedate during the TWGMTR material and most of the album tracks.  But when the Boys would go into one of the big hits, the majority of the lawn would get up and dance.  What was really annoying was how people were loudly talking when they wouldn't recognize a song.   

The venue, Merriweather Post, doesn't have a great view from the lawn.  So, even when I was standing, I had a difficult time seeing the stage at times, and I'm over 6' tall.  So, I wound up watching most of the second half of the show through the video board. 

Luckily, I was able to get primo seats for Brian Wilson, and pretty decent seats for The Mike and Bruce Beach Boys, so this likely won't be an issue again.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: May 11, 2015, 01:28:09 PM »

If everyone would get up and dance for the fun stuff, and sit down and don't talk during the melancholy/ballad stuff, everything would be just fine.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 11, 2015, 02:47:53 PM »

Has All I Wanna Do appeared in the set list yet??  3D

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 11, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »

I think around the time of C50, and/or other times, there were a few interesting threads here about the debate of staying seated versus standing/dancing, etc. The ultimate take-away I had from the discussion was that standing/dancing and blocking someone’s view behind you was a bigger hindrance to the people getting their view blocked than someone who wants to stand/dance are hindered by having to stay seated.

Obviously, a polite request (perhaps with an explanation, such as someone having trouble standing or moving around due to back problems, etc.) for someone to not stand and block the view is nicer than some guy yelling like he’s yelling at kids to get off his lawn. I’m also guessing (and many folks in person have agreed) that the median or average age of attendees at Mike’s shows tends to be on the older side. Considering I’ve been to concerts by bands whose members weren’t born when the BB’s started yet who already have aging fans who prefer to be seated, I’m not surprised people want to sit and actually *see* the concert that probably cost significantly more than five or ten bucks.

I was at a Frampton concert a few years back and experienced the oddest thing: The opposite. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the show, applauding and cheering wildly, but pretty much remaining seated. I wasn’t getting any sort of “old fuddy duddy” vibe from the audience. And there was one lady literally angrily yelling at people for not standing and dancing. My favorite part: Mid-way through the set Frampton whipped out some new track that the lady (who probably just remembers owning “Frampton Comes Alive” thirty years ago) didn’t know, and she angrily screamed “I don’t know this one!” As if Frampton should stop and just play “Show Me the Way” again or something.

I understand the priorities of those sitting vs. those that would prefer to stand...we were in the vast minority of people under the age of 50 (we were 18 & 19 at the time) and the old couple behind us were probably about 65.

The point is...this is a rock concert, regardless of age or interest...a song like "Do You Wanna Dance" would not be remembered today, if people hadn't DANCED to it 50 years ago...it was the irony of the whole situation that killed me. I knew there were just a few songs remaining, so we left.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: May 12, 2015, 12:16:42 AM »

If there is ever an option to be up front standing, I take it. I'd rather be around like-minded people who would rather stand than be nervous about offending people by enjoying the concert.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 12, 2015, 12:30:06 AM »

I think it's just crazy to sit when there's a rock band playing in front of you. I just don't get it. Luckily the only time I've seen Beach Boys live, was in Wembley arena in 2012, the audience was really into it and sat only during couple songs. I remember people sitting down first time during Disney Girls.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #957 on: May 12, 2015, 11:53:06 AM »

I don’t disagree with the sentiment of wanting to stand and dance. But some people don’t want to. Once there is that impasse, then who’s more put-out? People sitting who want to stand, or people who want or need to sit who get to look at someone’s back for two hours?

And how often do people who are standing take a look behind them and see if maybe it’s obvious the person behind them can’t stand or can’t easily stand. Easy clue: They’re sitting the whole time. You’d have to be a pretty big d**k to stand an entire show *knowing* the person behind you is sitting and looking at your back the entire time.

If I wanted or needed to sit the whole concert, I wouldn’t even mind a scattered song here or there where my view is blocked. The problem is, a lot of people don’t just dance during songs with the word “Dance” in their title. I’ve been at concerts where you can see it go down: Guy in the first row stands. Like one or two people. Then the people behind them *have* to stand, and then it takes off from there. At least *some* of the time (and actually most of the time at the shows I've been to), people are standing not because they *want* to, but because they *have* to. They’re not dancing or jumping around or going nuts. They’re standing and acting otherwise exactly as they would if they were sitting. But they’re standing solely so that they can see because the person in front of them is standing. And that’s kind of ridiculous.   

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #958 on: May 12, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »

I don’t disagree with the sentiment of wanting to stand and dance. But some people don’t want to. Once there is that impasse, then who’s more put-out? People sitting who want to stand, or people who want or need to sit who get to look at someone’s back for two hours?

And how often do people who are standing take a look behind them and see if maybe it’s obvious the person behind them can’t stand or can’t easily stand. Easy clue: They’re sitting the whole time. You’d have to be a pretty big d**k to stand an entire show *knowing* the person behind you is sitting and looking at your back the entire time.

If I wanted or needed to sit the whole concert, I wouldn’t even mind a scattered song here or there where my view is blocked. The problem is, a lot of people don’t just dance during songs with the word “Dance” in their title. I’ve been at concerts where you can see it go down: Guy in the first row stands. Like one or two people. Then the people behind them *have* to stand, and then it takes off from there. At least *some* of the time (and actually most of the time at the shows I've been to), people are standing not because they *want* to, but because they *have* to. They’re not dancing or jumping around or going nuts. They’re standing and acting otherwise exactly as they would if they were sitting. But they’re standing solely so that they can see because the person in front of them is standing. And that’s kind of ridiculous.   

Amen. 

And just because the band / artist is playing a song you might not be aware of, that is not the time to talk loudly with whoever you're with or on the phone.  I've experienced this at many shows, and it's very annoying. 

One of the worst was a Roger Waters show I attended in 2007 in Philly on his Dark Side of the Moon Tour.  The first half of his show was a mix of Floyd songs from Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut along with the song Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun, and a couple of solo songs.  There was a woman sitting next to me who would scream during the songs she knew from classic rock radio.  But when Roger and the band did an album track or solo song, she loudly talked with her friend. 
GoodToMyBaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 12, 2015, 12:25:50 PM »

As someone with a physical handicap it really annoys me when people stand and jump around and WILL NOT sit down.  This has invariably been the case at any show i've attended.  People are pretty rude about it.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: May 12, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »

As someone with a physical handicap it really annoys me when people stand and jump around and WILL NOT sit down.  This has invariably been the case at any show i've attended.  People are pretty rude about it.

Is this typical a problem you experience from handicap seating, regular seating, or both?
Nicko1234
« Reply #961 on: May 21, 2015, 05:14:23 AM »

THE BEACH BOYS CELEBRATE 50 YEARS OF
“SUMMER DAYS & SUMMER NIGHTS” WITH UNFORGETTABLE
UK TOUR MAY 27th – JUNE 4th

ROYAL ALBERT HALL DATES WILL FEATURE
GRAMMY & OSCAR WINNNING ARTIST CHRISTOPHER CROSS
& STELLAR LINE-UP OF LONDON MUSICIANS

Legendary Beach Boys Guitarist David Marks Joining for UK Leg
Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!) being re-released on Vinyl Summer 2015

LOS ANGELES, CA, MAY 4, 2015 — “America’s Band” The Beach Boys are bringing their Endless Summer Tour to a range of dates throughout the United Kingdom. Beginning May 27th, the band will tour Manchester, Sheffield, Birmingham, Brighton, Cardiff and perform a special two-night stand at London’s famed Royal Albert Hall. (SEE BELOW FOR DATES, VENUES AND ON-SALE INFO.)

The Grammy® Award-winning and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band, The Beach Boys, features band co-founder, lead singer and songwriter, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Scott Totten, Jeffrey Foskett, Tim Bonhomme, and John Cowsill, as well as new member Brian Eichenberger (The Four Freshman). The tour coincides with a special celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the band’s beloved album Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). The album, originally released July 5, 1965, includes the seminal hits “California Girls” and “Help Me, Rhonda.” Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!) marked the first appearance of Bruce Johnston with its release 50 years ago.

For the band’s Royal Albert Hall dates (May 30-31), The Beach Boys will welcome special guest Academy-Award & Grammy winning artist Christopher Cross as well as a number of London’s finest musicians. The Royal Albert Hall shows will delve deep into the Beach Boys catalogue, with full brass arrangements and a focus on songs from Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!). Longtime Beach Boy guitarist David Marks will join the band for the entire UK leg of the tour.

“The UK has always had a special place in our hearts,” said Beach Boy co-founder, Mike Love. “I remember in 1966 a magazine put out a poll of their favorite bands and The Rolling Stones were number three, The Beatles were number two and we took the top spot. I’ve always loved traveling across the pond to visit our friends. And this time it’s going to be really special. I’m excited longtime friends Christopher and David are joining us, and honored to have these extraordinary musicians aboard. I love when our songs are elevated by the sounds of a full brass section. Something magical happens and it’s going to be a pretty magical run.”

The special “Beach Boys” Royal Albert Hall Band will feature Simon Morgan (French horn), Mike Lovatt (trumpet), Richard Edwards (tenor and bass trombone); Andy Findon (bass, baritone sax and flute), Chris Baron (drums and percussion), Martin Williams and Dave Bishop (alto sax and woodwinds). Collectively this ensemble of musicians has accompanied the likes of Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Quincy Jones, Michael Bublé, Sting, Amy Winehouse and Stevie Wonder, London Symphony Orchestra, The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, and scorings films including Harry Potter, Skyfall and The Dark Knight Trilogy.

The tour coincides with a special reissue of the classic Beach Boys album Summer Days (and Summer Nights!!!) on vinyl. Analogue Productions (in association with Capitol Records and Quality Record Pressings) will release this classic and historic Beach Boys album in its most premium and high-fidelity vinyl format to date. The album will hit select record stores later this summer.

The Beach Boys are in full force on a worldwide Endless Summer tour performing more than 140 dates in 2015 with a canon of songs that have been global radio and cultural staples for more than 50 years.
jamesellaby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 21, 2015, 05:23:17 AM »

It's a shame those of us who don't live in London aren't getting the same show. The Apollo in Manchester isn't as grand as the Royal Albert Hall, but Brian managed to fit strings and horns on stage there for SMiLE, so surely they could have just arranged for them to travel to the five other gigs? Ah well, looking forward to it anyway.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 21, 2015, 06:42:35 AM »

The Royal Albert Hall shows will delve deep into the Beach Boys catalogue, with full brass arrangements and a focus on songs from Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!).

Wonderful news about the extra musicians.  Given the big hits on Summer Days that will naturally be played anyway, I wonder how much of the whole they'll be playing.  If they're gonna play more obscure parts of it, then Amusement Parks USA would be my top choice, followed by Salt Lake City.  I'd have thought most of the delving deep in the shows will come from elsewhere.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 21, 2015, 07:03:51 AM »

Mike is really cheapening the 50th title. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 21, 2015, 07:19:44 AM »

Mike is really cheapening the 50th title. Roll Eyes

Yeah, for sure, but the most defining moment is always which hat will cover the LuHvster's shiny landing strip, and will a new ring adorn yet another finger thus helping him keep count of the number of women he shared marital bliss with?   Razz

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: May 21, 2015, 08:52:17 AM »

It’s not unexpected, but it is a bit wonky to continue to market everything after 2012 as the “50th Anniversary” of something. But it is just a marketing thing. Assuming the reunited lineup doesn’t do anything next year, it will be interesting to see if Mike pisses off a bunch more fans by celebrating the 50th anniversary of “Pet Sounds” with his own tour band. Maybe he’ll bypass that and go straight to the 50th for “Good Vibrations.”

I can already envision next year’s press release:

“GOOD VIBRATIONS” WITH UNFORGETTABLE 2016 WORLD TOUR

LOS ANGELES, CA, 2016 — “America’s Band” The Beach Boys are bringing their “50 Years of Good Vibrations tour” to a range of dates world wide.

The Grammy® Award-winning and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band, The Beach Boys, features band co-founder, lead singer and songwriter, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Scott Totten, Jeffrey Foskett, Brian Eichenberger, and new additions Taylor Mills, Scott Bennett, Bob Lizik, Jim Hines as well as Brian Wilson’s entire 2015 road crew and tour bus driver………

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: May 21, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »

It's getting ridiculous! Typical Beach Boy nonsense.

I'm sure the show will be fine, though.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: May 21, 2015, 10:25:31 AM »

It’s not unexpected, but it is a bit wonky to continue to market everything after 2012 as the “50th Anniversary” of something. But it is just a marketing thing. Assuming the reunited lineup doesn’t do anything next year, it will be interesting to see if Mike pisses off a bunch more fans by celebrating the 50th anniversary of “Pet Sounds” with his own tour band. Maybe he’ll bypass that and go straight to the 50th for “Good Vibrations.”

LOS ANGELES, CA, 2016 — “America’s Band” The Beach Boys are bringing their “50 Years of Good Vibrations tour” to a range of dates world wide.

The Grammy® Award-winning and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band, The Beach Boys, features band co-founder, lead singer and songwriter, Mike Love, Bruce Johnston, Scott Totten, Jeffrey Foskett, Brian Eichenberger, and new additions Taylor Mills, Scott Bennett, Bob Lizik, Jim Hines as well as Brian Wilson’s entire 2015 road crew and tour bus driver………

Many a true word spoken in jest...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 21, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »

Exactly. This Summer Days and Summer Nights celebration is pretty much the end of celebrating Mike's reign of old-school BB hit albums that were heavy on his input. Is this the last hurrah of celebrations piggybacking off of C50? There's no way M&B are gonna touch the Pet Sounds 50th by promoting it as a celebration of PS, are they?  And if they just casually skip over the widely-regarded best album in the band's catalog (and among the best albums in history)... well, that might be a bit awkward, huh?  Then again, if they do tackle it, Mike could sing I'm Waiting For The Day, as a tribute to the alternate Mike-sung version from Pet Sounds Sessions (doubtful in the extreme though). Actually, maybe they can do a 50th celebration for Pet Sounds, but only play a 30-minute loop of "Good Night, Baby... Sleep Tight, Baby"  Grin

I'm certain we'll get a GV 50th celebration. Then what? SMiLE? Smiley Smile? Wild Honey? When pigs fly! I could maybe see a Do It Again celebration in 2018, and Sunflower in the year 2020.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:08:12 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 21, 2015, 11:04:21 AM »

Well, at least he's drawing the public's attention to another album from the Beach Boys.  That's a good thing.  It's a step away from the usual perception of them having just one good album, a mythic unfinished album and a bunch of singles.

Also, maybe David will play Summer Means New Love.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:09:24 AM by Fire Wind » Logged

KDS
« Reply #971 on: May 21, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »

I'm saving my money for the big shows in 2038..........

This summer, 97 year old Mike Love and The Beach Boys celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Kokomo, the biggest Beach Boys hit of all time.  

During each special concert, America's Band will open with Kokomo, close with Kokomo and play it a few times in between.  The encore will be......Kokomo, Barbara Ann, then Kokomo.  

It's been rumored that 75 year old John Stamos will be in the band to play the bongos, just as he did in the iconic music video.  

Also, as an opening act, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the greatest moment in TV history, the big screens will show the episode of the classic sitcom Full House when Mike, Bruce, Brian, Al, and Carl visited the Tanner family and sang an acoustic version of....you guessed it.....KOKOMO....on the Tanner family sofa.  

During the 7th time The Beach Boys play Kokomo during the concert, they'll duet with the Tanner family via the big screen, thus creating an emotional moment each night, not dissimilar to when The Beach Boys played to videos of the late Dennis and Carl Wilson during their first 50th Anniversary tour 26 years ago.

At this time, Bob Saget has yet to confirm nor deny the rumor that he'll be on hand to do his classic one man version of Good Vibrations, as featured in the classic episode.  

Mike was asked if he plans any more big tours.  He responded, "well four years from now (2042) will mark the 50th Anniversary of the classic Beach Boys opus Summer in Paradise.  I'll be 101, but it's gonna be fun, fun, fun."  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:14:55 AM by KDS » Logged
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 21, 2015, 11:16:49 AM »

One week till the Sheffield gig!!! So excited to break my BBV. Anyone else on the board going?

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 21, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »

I'm saving my money for the big shows in 2038..........

This summer, 97 year old Mike Love and The Beach Boys celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Kokomo, the biggest Beach Boys hit of all time.  

During each special concert, America's Band will open with Kokomo, close with Kokomo and play it a few times in between.  The encore will be......Kokomo, Barbara Ann, then Kokomo.  

It's been rumored that 75 year old John Stamos will be in the band to play the bongos, just as he did in the iconic music video.  

Also, as an opening act, in honor of the 50th anniversary of the greatest moment in TV history, the big screens will show the episode of the classic sitcom Full House when Mike, Bruce, Brian, Al, and Carl visited the Tanner family and sang an acoustic version of....you guessed it.....KOKOMO....on the Tanner family sofa.  

During the 7th time The Beach Boys play Kokomo during the concert, they'll duet with the Tanner family via the big screen, thus creating an emotional moment each night, not dissimilar to when The Beach Boys played to videos of the late Dennis and Carl Wilson during their first 50th Anniversary tour 26 years ago.

At this time, Bob Saget has yet to confirm nor deny the rumor that he'll be on hand to do his classic one man version of Good Vibrations, as featured in the classic episode.  

Mike was asked if he plans any more big tours.  He responded, "well four years from now (2042) will mark the 50th Anniversary of the classic Beach Boys opus Summer in Paradise.  I'll be 101, but it's gonna be fun, fun, fun."  

LOL
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 21, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »

I think it'll be interesting to see if the "new" songs from Summer Days...stick around for the rest of Mike and Bruce's dates in the UK and when returning to the states. They're playing North and South of Baltimore in Lancaster, PA and Vienna, VA....a decent setlist shake-up just might ignite a bug in me to go!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx