gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:56:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 392975 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: March 30, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »

Also worth keeping in mind is that there have been indications that Brian in the last year or so has been given any number of “friendly reminders” from legal quarters to make sure he doesn’t over-emphasize the “Beach Boys” name in advertising his solo shows. Al alluded to this in an interview last year.
And, this is where I have a problem. If BRI is in agreement that Mike will continue to license the name, that's their business. Mike has the right to tour where he wants, even if I disagree with his run it into the ground approach, in general.

However, when the guy who wrote all that music Mike sings every night is getting "cease and desist" letters because he dares to emphasize his own contribution, that's just wrong. It's not like he's going out there calling himself "The Beach Boys Too" or anything.  He's Brian Wilson, founding member of The Beach Boys and the man responsible for the hits, Pet Sounds and SMiLE. He has the right to say so, dammit!

Good thing most of the press already know this and can say it for him.
Hey Jude - if they (letters of advisement) are sent (and I'm not privy to that) It might be just to make sure there is "no confusion in the marketplace." And a uniform standard that is already in place.  I remember some "marketplace confusion" with some post C50 shows.  It could mean for promoters and advertisers.  Advertisers might take some "poetic license" and  even innocently do ads that are misleading. The standard is uniform.  
The thought that Mike legitimately, truly is deeply concerned about the terminology "confusion in the marketplace" is preposterous to the extreme. C'mon. He only cares about it when it doesn't apply to him.
No, Century Deprived - confusion in the marketplace it is a legitimate legal standard.  Not some bluster. And plenty of info from the US Patent and Trademark Office.

How do you know "what he (Mike) cares about?" Only Mike "knows" what Mike "cares about."

I don't "know", and apologies for not stating IMHO before my post. It's an assumption based on actions I've read about. Hell - I could be wrong, entirely 110% offbase. I just doubt I am.
No apologies are necessary, to my mind; EVERY post should be considered as that poster's opinion. What other interpretation is possible?

bgas - Some posters, specifically many of the Honored Guests, were "there" and are eyewitnesses to this history, and their posts aren't "opinion." I think there is a difference on this board.  I'm just a fan, so mine is personal opinion, generally.

And those statements are akin to "putting words and thoughts in someone else's head or mouth."  It was mighty gracious for Century Deprived to apologize. And that's JMHO  Wink

Yean, maybe. But even those who were "there" are describing their interpretation , so it makes it an opinion

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #851 on: March 30, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »

I thought this was the no-spin zone. Mike cannot spin his way out of killing the C50.

The first rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about the faults of Mike Love. The second rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about anything ever remotely being blamed on Mike Love. Them's the rules. I didn't make 'em.

Wrong: The rule is "don't use different standards". Someone indirectly accused Mike of damaging the legacy by playing at a venue he deems inappropriate, AGD remarks that Brian also played there. And Brian doesn't get snipe remarks for playing there.

It's perfectly OK to criticize Mike for his actual faults, like becoming a religious fanatic over TM in the early 70s resulting in non-meditators being removed from the scene for example. Post a rant about that, fine with me. Spewing bile over Mike for something Brian also did is IMHO hypocritical.
Micha - it is a sort of "extremism" and reminds me of the workers of opposite political parties who, in their fervor to get each's candidate elected, love warring, division and pettiness. All the while, the actual "principals" have worked toward concession, rather than division.  It is what made C50 happen. Concession and profession respect.  Just like politicians who have to work together for consensus after the elections are over. 

Some have retreated after C50 to their respective intractable positions.  MIC embodies all that is good.  We are all flawed, and no one needs to point out those flaws.  Unless you're perfect.

I'm not sure I really get what you're trying to tell me - but it seems to be mindful. Anyway, I only mentioned Mike's "flaw" to point out that I'm not in a camp "pro-Mike anti-Brian" when I criticize people about what I perceive as using a double standard.

should someone inadvertently actually think that I believe I am stating absolute facts.

I tend to believe that from the way you phrase your posts. I'm wrong in doing so, then?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: March 30, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »

I thought this was the no-spin zone. Mike cannot spin his way out of killing the C50.

The first rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about the faults of Mike Love. The second rule of Mike Love is: You do not talk about anything ever remotely being blamed on Mike Love. Them's the rules. I didn't make 'em.

Wrong: The rule is "don't use different standards". Someone indirectly accused Mike of damaging the legacy by playing at a venue he deems inappropriate, AGD remarks that Brian also played there. And Brian doesn't get snipe remarks for playing there.

It's perfectly OK to criticize Mike for his actual faults, like becoming a religious fanatic over TM in the early 70s resulting in non-meditators being removed from the scene for example. Post a rant about that, fine with me. Spewing bile over Mike for something Brian also did is IMHO hypocritical.
Micha - it is a sort of "extremism" and reminds me of the workers of opposite political parties who, in their fervor to get each's candidate elected, love warring, division and pettiness. All the while, the actual "principals" have worked toward concession, rather than division.  It is what made C50 happen. Concession and profession respect.  Just like politicians who have to work together for consensus after the elections are over.  

Some have retreated after C50 to their respective intractable positions.  MIC embodies all that is good.  We are all flawed, and no one needs to point out those flaws.  Unless you're perfect.

I'm not sure I really get what you're trying to tell me - but it seems to be mindful. Anyway, I only mentioned Mike's "flaw" to point out that I'm not in a camp "pro-Mike anti-Brian" when I criticize people about what I perceive as using a double standard.

should someone inadvertently actually think that I believe I am stating absolute facts.

I tend to believe that from the way you phrase your posts. I'm wrong in doing so, then?

Sometimes, peoples' actions (bandmembers who are the subject of our posts) seem to be indicative of certain things. I should use the acronym IMO or IMHO more often, but when I'm talking about my assumptions of bandmembers' motivations, thoughts, etc., it's all just speculation based on what we all publicly know. That said, sometimes witnessing decades of patterns of behavior tends to speak volumes, at least to me. The old phrase "it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out..." comes to mind. Some stuff is just human nature, like jealousy. But nothing is irrefutable fact when it comes to how we see other people, particularly people we don't know personally. I'll be the first to admit that. It's subjective, but discussion hopefully brings us closer to the truth.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 02:31:35 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 07, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »

What I would really love to hear at the RAH in London are those long forgotten classic live showstoppers like "Sherry", "Duke of Earl" and "I Saw Her Standing There". Grin
In terms of never-played-before songs, I would love to hear "Rendezvous" from Bruce's "Going Public" album.  I'm not even joking. It would work great. Bruce needs something to sing anyway.
Scott, you can make this happen! Wink

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:47:56 PM by STE » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 07, 2015, 02:10:05 PM »

What I would really love to hear at the RAH in London are those long forgotten classic live showstoppers like "Sherry", "Duke of Earl" and "I Saw Her Standing There". Grin
In terms of never-played-before songs, I would love to hear "Rendezvous" from Bruce's "Going Public" album.  I'm not even joking. It would work great. Bruce needs something to sing anyway.

Deirdre and Tears in The Morning would be excellent additions to the current show...I think they'd yield just as great a response as Disney Girls for Bruce.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 07, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »

Deirdre and Tears in The Morning would be excellent additions to the current show...I think they'd yield just as great a response as Disney Girls for Bruce.

Honestly Bruce should do Tears, Disney and Deirdre and that's it. They're his songs he sang he should sing them unless he doesn't want to. Him doing Wendy and You're So Good To Me is nice but they're not HIS songs.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 07, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »

Honestly Bruce should do Tears, Disney and Deirdre and that's it. They're his songs he sang he should sing them unless he doesn't want to. Him doing Wendy and You're So Good To Me is nice but they're not HIS songs.

Saying they're nice is being generous!  LOL

I like his voice when they do "Please Let Me Wonder" it's much more suited to him than the other two songs.
Nicko1234
« Reply #857 on: April 16, 2015, 03:47:13 AM »

Happy Days part of the Mike and Bruce show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bn8wkK8CUM
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 16, 2015, 05:47:40 AM »

Well that's something you don't see everyday...gosh, Bruce was driving me nuts with his arms...good gravy...
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 16, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »

Jeez Stamos gave Ralph and Potsie the most attention they've gotten since the 70's.
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 17, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

Wow, I know that was just one (albeit long) clip but it appears as if this is morphing into John Stamos' Beach Boys.

Anyways, little disappointed they didn't break into "Do the Fonzie" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeF3hew6McY
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 18, 2015, 07:25:37 PM »

Anyone found any footage of the new addition the band this weekend?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 18, 2015, 08:18:39 PM »

Anyone found any footage of the new addition the band this weekend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWIcTFNtU1c

Looks like Ike is playing bass.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 08:19:36 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #863 on: April 18, 2015, 08:31:59 PM »

Here as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMh_E8AthvI
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 18, 2015, 08:38:40 PM »

As if Barbara Ann could get any more corny...yeesh. Ike seems to blend in seamlessly, at least as much as a youtube clip can justify.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 18, 2015, 09:06:32 PM »

And here I thought this was going to be a link to Mike and Bruce singing the Brian solo song "Happy Days" from Imagination.  That would certainly be an interesting addition to the show!

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 19, 2015, 01:06:10 AM »

Looks like Ike doesn't sing into the microphone except for the very end of BA.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 21, 2015, 06:04:42 AM »

Mike and Bruce show just announced for Atlanta at the Botanical Garden on July 24th:
http://www.concertsinthegarden.org/

So those of us in the Atlanta area get five Beach Boys within one month -- Brian, Al, and Blondie in June; Mike and Bruce in July.

Somebody please bring David along!

Nicko1234
« Reply #868 on: April 23, 2015, 04:18:48 AM »

A classy venue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcqqvn8cqVc
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 23, 2015, 04:33:26 AM »

Mike should add Lenny & Squiggy to the tour...but if I've thought of it the deal may already be in the works. Squiggy could spell Bruce on the keyboards now and then.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 04:44:14 AM by Moon Dawg » Logged
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: April 23, 2015, 05:09:19 AM »

Looks like Ike doesn't sing into the microphone except for the very end of BA.
Nay, nay, my friend...

Ike has been incrementally working into the background vocals, and seems to be at about 30% of the setlist, at Turning Stone, the other night where he did his first lead, Then I Kissed Her.  TIKH, has also beautifully performed by Al Jardine, Christian Love and Randell Kirsch, whose work I just love...  Love

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:45:49 AM by filledeplage » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #871 on: April 23, 2015, 06:08:42 AM »

Mike should add Lenny & Squiggy to the tour...but if I've thought of it the deal may already be in the works. Squiggy could spell Bruce on the keyboards now and then.

But Lenny and Squiggy haven’t been in Brian’s band, so we can’t expect them to be poached for Mike’s band just yet.

In the meantime, how about Lenny and Carl?

It is kind of irony on top of irony that, after years and years, Mike is finally poaching guys from Brian’s band, *and* these days Al Jardine is (usually) *in* Brian’s band, yet Al still isn’t one of the guys Mike is pursuing. I get it of course, Al is more expensive and a bunch of political and interpersonal baggage is attached. And, I guess it’s for the best musically, as Al probably gets more leads in Brian’s band and is featured more prominently than he would be in Mike’s.

I hear Tim Bonhomme is trying really hard to get Brian to get all of his keyboard players on a retainer salary.   LOL
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 06:17:25 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #872 on: April 23, 2015, 06:11:53 AM »

HAW HAW!! 

Grin
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #873 on: April 23, 2015, 08:37:43 AM »

yet Al still isn’t one of the guys Mike is pursuing.

Jones Beach 2014

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 23, 2015, 08:55:24 AM »

That latest clip shows what a pale shadow M&B are of the BBs sound. The soundstage show from BW better captured the BBs sound even with revamped songs for the guests.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx