gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:54:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 391050 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #375 on: December 11, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »

Brian is not God or Mozart,  true...he's Brian Wilson, and that's good enough for me and most of the other people here, I'd imagine.

It makes all the difference to me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: December 12, 2014, 02:37:50 AM »

sweetdudejim, one thing I can agree with you about Cam, is that he really never "gives an inch". My own experience in arguing with him is that his points of view are so firm that he isn't receptive to arguing and won't rethink his view. But, as AGD pointed out, he don't use foul language, and I felt treated respectfully when arguing with him. And I don't remember him bashing Brian. In fact, some of the Mike condemners criticize people who state that Brian was a mere puppet, and Cam does the opposite: He claims Brian is always in full control - IIRC. And of course I don't see him cheering when someone says something negative about Brian, as OSD and SB do when someone says something negative about Mike.

I share AGD's feeling though that, as you said, Pinder and Cam don't "bug me like OSD and SMiLE Brian because they aren't quite as vulgar". You may be right in stating that Pinder and Cam are overly biased towards Mike and defending him too much, but they're not part of that insane "wifeandmanagers"-bashing either.

I liked the tone of your last post, which I felt was arguing in a reasonable way. That's the way we should treat each other.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 02:47:20 AM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 12, 2014, 04:15:25 AM »

Thanks AGD and Micha for your lukewarm endorsement. Just kidding, I love you guys even when I don't agree with you.

My wish is that Jim can get over his crush on me. I'm sorry but I'm not into dudes, sweet or not. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I'm flattered.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 12, 2014, 04:21:12 AM »

Good find on the riders Mikie.

Now those with questions can contact Melanie (if that is HER real name) to get some solid info and either alert her to the malfeasance or correct her history and find out what Mike knew and when did he know it.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 12, 2014, 04:41:43 AM »

Not sure if a lot of tickets have already gone or not for the RAH show.  Have seen hardly any stalls or grand tier or loggia box tickets this morning at all on the RAH site.  Maybe they've gone already, or are being held back until the cheap, circle seats have all gone and they're trying to get rid of the worst first.  I note that Ticketmaster are selling VIP packages for the stalls, but not ordinary seats.

Stargreen has Arena and Stalls seats for sale.

As for all the fighting, those posts which guitarfool put up look like sincere arguments with more than a few words to them.  That sort of thing's fine, whichever side it's coming from.  But it's the endless, bitchy one-liners which are the nuisance, usually made against Mike, as well as the 'woot, woot' cheerleading bs that's increased with it lately.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: December 12, 2014, 05:00:48 AM »

RAH is pretty much sold out. Granted, the scalpers may have bought the bulk but either way, they're mostly gone.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 12, 2014, 05:11:13 AM »

I note that Ticketmaster's £199 stalls reception package uses a C50 picture.  They really ought to change that.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 12, 2014, 05:12:15 AM »

RAH is pretty much sold out. Granted, the scalpers may have bought the bulk but either way, they're mostly gone.

Were their promotional materials misleading by any chance?

Edit: answered while I was posting. Thanks.

Edit edit: you said Ticketmaster. Noted.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:43:27 AM by Cam Mott » Logged

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 12, 2014, 06:04:31 AM »

Edit edit: you said Ticketmaster. Noted.

Yeah, only them.  Not that it matters too much, I guess, but you'd think Ticketmaster would be on the ball.  They're only selling the VIP packages, which I note is just a fancy room with free booze, not an offer to meet the band at all.  I suspect these won't be sold and then these good seats will go on sale at ordinary prices.  

Most tickets are just sold through the Hall's own site, where they had a correct image.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:06:10 AM by Fire Wind » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 12, 2014, 12:51:16 PM »

I am reliable informed that Albert Hall's sales page has a correct picture with Foskett but a blurb that says "The Beach Boys are led by Mike Love and Bruce Johnston, who along with Christian Love, Randell Kirsch, Tim Bonhomme, John Cowsill and Scott Totten, have toured as the Beach Boys regularly since 1998 when Carl Wilson passed away."

Christian Love! An obvious falsehood perpetrated by Mike to brag up the fact that he has balls.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 12, 2014, 03:20:08 PM »

I love you guys even when I don't agree with you. I'm sorry but I'm not into dudes, sweet or not. Not that there is anything wrong with it. I'm flattered.

Grin

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 12, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »

No doubt

Brian or no Brian that is a great achievement

Have a great night everyone who is going, they are the greatest band of all time, The Beach Boys.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 15, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

Audience/IEM audio mixes on these recent Youtube videos:

Santa's Beard - Little St. Nick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iM3BoEM-_0

California Girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9pjAtjKf4

Sloop/WIBN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-bpsZyWa0
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »

CG sounded pretty good but why the slowed down tempo. Like they were tired or something. It is quite noticeable to me.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:19 PM »

The Christmas tunes sound great...I wish they'd do a Christmas show close enough to me one of these years.

California Girls gets slower every time I hear them play it...otherwise it sounds great.

Sloop John B melodies were really rocky in some places, and Wouldn't it Be Nice was really distracting in that you could clearly tell Scott AND Jeffrey were both singing lead. It sounded like two voices, instead of one strong one (which I'd think is the sound they're going for).

And it doesn't need to be said but....damn Bruce, tone back the handclaps.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 15, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »

Someone can correct me but without the extended outro, they both clock in about the same 2.45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIsdMWzdaE
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 16, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

Someone can correct me but without the extended outro, they both clock in about the same 2.45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIsdMWzdaE

Open up two windows and start them at the same time. It's uncanny.
Scott
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »

Hey!  Thanks for the on-topic posts.  One reason why I like to check in to this thread is to see what fans like you (and me) think of our show.  That's why it's been so frustrating to see all the off topic stuff that's been going on.

As for CAL GIRLS, Andrew Hickey pointed out earlier this year that it was too slow.  So I started picking it up.  I think if you look at where the organ comes in you can see me conducting and that seems to be close to the right tempo, but it ends up settling down a few bpm.  I'll run it today at soundcheck.  On the record, the band plays the choruses a tad slower than the verses, while the vocals seem to be ahead of the beat most of the song.

As for Sloop, Bruce wants me to double him at the top, and from this youtube I think that sounds ok.  I note that Mike has made up a counter melody that isn't on the record.

As for WIBN, the melody is doubled on the record, that's what we were going for.  Maybe we'll try it with just Jeff.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Scott

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 16, 2014, 09:29:19 PM »

Hey!  Thanks for the on-topic posts.  One reason why I like to check in to this thread is to see what fans like you (and me) think of our show.  That's why it's been so frustrating to see all the off topic stuff that's been going on.

As for CAL GIRLS, Andrew Hickey pointed out earlier this year that it was too slow.  So I started picking it up.  I think if you look at where the organ comes in you can see me conducting and that seems to be close to the right tempo, but it ends up settling down a few bpm.  I'll run it today at soundcheck.  On the record, the band plays the choruses a tad slower than the verses, while the vocals seem to be ahead of the beat most of the song.

As for Sloop, Bruce wants me to double him at the top, and from this youtube I think that sounds ok.  I note that Mike has made up a counter melody that isn't on the record.

As for WIBN, the melody is doubled on the record, that's what we were going for.  Maybe we'll try it with just Jeff.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Scott

Scott- Thanks for posting a reply! I noticed your conducting and I recall you addressing the issue previously on the board. It's one of those things you don't really notice until you look for it...but once you've found it, it's unavoidable.

Perhaps it's Mike's counter-melody that was sounding off to me. I just noticed something different/not quite right.

Again...thanks for posting and not just giving up on this board. Some of us here DO actually care about the music!  Azn
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 16, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »

Audience/IEM audio mixes on these recent Youtube videos:

Santa's Beard - Little St. Nick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iM3BoEM-_0

California Girls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT9pjAtjKf4

Sloop/WIBN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-bpsZyWa0

This is a fantastic sounding band, and I think it starts with Mike's vocals, which seem really on point here. Christmas songs sound great.

I have no dog in the fight between Brian vs. Mike -- I like The Beach Boys as a whole -- but until Brian's band fixes the "Mickey Mouse with a sore throat" falsetto tag on California Girls, then I'll contend that Mike's band has the better vocals and Brian's the better instrumentals. And I'll go see either one when they come to town.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: December 17, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »

It's nice to see pics of the full group in the background on these videos, instead of avoiding Brian and Al pics as they were doing for a while. It seems that Brian's and Al's requests to not include pictures of them have been rescinded.

I have yet to see the Beach Boys in December, so I've never heard the Christmas songs live, so video is always a treat!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 12:20:00 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 19, 2014, 01:15:08 PM »

Scott thanks for taking the comments in the right manner. I'm here for the music too and it's great for fans to have some input into the shows through you, the band leader.  I also like the fact that you keep it fresh and pull out some of the rare (and brilliant) album tracks.

The band are sounding great, come to Scotland in 2015!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 19, 2014, 01:30:59 PM »

Damn, Mike sounds quite good on this.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2014, 07:29:57 PM »

Never been a fan of Santa's Beard , the lyrics sound weird with a nearly 74 yr old man singing about his 5 yr old brother. Should just change it to grandson, and it's  a little out of Mike's range as his voice cracks  BUT Little St. Nick sounds fantastic! No one sings that song like Mike Love.

It's just tough to truly do those Pet Sounds leads without Al and Carl. People are so used to them dominating those songs , that the modern versions just pale in comparison.  Especially when you hear Al's recent leads on them.  I also agree about Cal. Girls, pick up the tempo but sounds good.
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 19, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »

I actually think Scott and Jeff sound great doubling the lead on WIBN. No splattered notes, they seem to nail it. People have been raving about Al's lead on the same at the Venetian recently, and while the energy and tone were great, there's no denying there were quite a few notes that he just didn't quite make it up to.

I say if two singers can double a lead that accurately together live, and it was doubled on the original recording, then go for it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx