gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:25:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 392948 times)
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: July 26, 2015, 07:05:51 PM »

Now you can concentrate on seeing the real deal-Brian Wilson's incredible band with three real actual Beach Boys, not one and a half Beach Boys.   Hello Hello

I would love to hear your reasoning for Blondie being considered a full member (I assume) and Bruce only count as half.

Also, as much as I enjoyed Blondie when I saw him live earlier this month with BW, his 30 minutes total on stage grossly underutilized him.
Fair question. Bruce was called in to be Brian's stand in or replacement for shows. Blondie and Ricky were made permanent members until, of course, they left. They were not "yes" men like Bruce which is one of the reasons he's still around. Plus it's easy money playing the same songs, clapping, and myKe adjusting night after night.

If Anna Lee had ventured into chiropractic work, would she herself have been considered a Myke-adjuster?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL Good one, CD!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: July 26, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »

Now you can concentrate on seeing the real deal-Brian Wilson's incredible band with three real actual Beach Boys, not one and a half Beach Boys.   Hello Hello

I would love to hear your reasoning for Blondie being considered a full member (I assume) and Bruce only count as half.

Also, as much as I enjoyed Blondie when I saw him live earlier this month with BW, his 30 minutes total on stage grossly underutilized him.
Fair question. Bruce was called in to be Brian's stand in or replacement for shows. Blondie and Ricky were made permanent members until, of course, they left. They were not "yes" men like Bruce which is one of the reasons he's still around. Plus it's easy money playing the same songs, clapping, and myKe adjusting night after night.

So, Bruce was never a full member?

He was until 1972 when he dumped his shares in BRI. He also quit the group in that same year, I believe. He did return-and as a sideman which he still is today.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: July 27, 2015, 05:25:22 AM »

So, Bruce was never a full member?

He was until 1972 when he dumped his shares in BRI. He also quit the group in that same year, I believe. He did return-and as a sideman which he still is today.

So, Blondie and Ricky are still shareholders in BRI?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: July 27, 2015, 06:54:58 AM »

Bruce is a full band member of the Beach Boys. He is not a stockholder of BRI, he is a salaried employee. The same held true for Blondie & Ricky. They were full members of the band, but did not share in ownership.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1579 on: July 27, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »

Bruce used to be a full, voting member of BRI, but relinquished his vote in the 70s. However, he's still officially a BB for all other purposes.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:41 AM »

Bruce used to be a full, voting member of BRI, but relinquished his vote in the 70s. However, he's still officially a BB for all other purposes.

When did Bruce get full, voting member of BRI-status, and when did Al get such status?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: July 27, 2015, 12:01:27 PM »

When did Bruce get full, voting member of BRI-status, and when did Al get such status?

Off the top of my head, I think Al was made a voting member in 1967, but I'm not totally positive.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1582 on: July 27, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »

I'm not exactly a Mike Love superfan (if we had to split into two sides then I would be on the "Brianista" side) but OSD and Smile Brian are clearly way more annoying than AGD and their tagteam posting is tiresome and needs to be stopped.  police

Those two are the main reason that I mostly stay clear of this board these days and haven't posted in ages. "Annoying" is a vast understatement. They take the fun out of being a fan. It's nice to see someone else post my opinion on them.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1583 on: July 27, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »

Off the top of my head, I think Al was made a voting member in 1967, but I'm not totally positive.

I've heard that date, and also 1973... can't recall which was the more accurate.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: July 27, 2015, 02:17:14 PM »

I've heard that date, and also 1973... can't recall which was the more accurate.

I seem to recall hearing 1973, which strikes me as odd considering that would mean that Bruce became a voting member prior to Al, who was in the band longer.
Does that scenario seem to make much sense? (Not that anything makes much sense in BB world)...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1585 on: July 27, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »

That's the joy of the BB cosmos - ask ten different people the same question, you'll get ten different answers.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1586 on: July 27, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »

The 1973 date may be a misnomer, or misunderstood in the context, or maybe there is more to it. But the date 1973 comes from elements of one of Mike's lawsuits that referenced a BRI board meeting in 1973 where an "Agreement Of Indemnification" was decided by the board referring to board members or parties dealing with third parties or entering into contracts, deals, etc. Ultimately the case (2004-5) and its various appeals were thrown out of several courts, but that date of 1973 was used as one of the case's elements referring to BRI decisions and the board members at that time were Brian, Carl, Dennis, Mike, and Al, and Stephen Love was managing the finances of the group. So whether Al had already been a voting member prior to '73, or anytime else leading up to it, in 1973 he was definitely a member of the BRI board.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: July 28, 2015, 11:04:20 AM »

For those who are interested, a late fall tour of Germany for Mike & Bruce has just been announced.

NIGHT OF THE PROMS – GERMANY
11/30/15 – Luxembourg – La Coque
12/1/15 – Frankfurt – Festhalle
12/2/15 –  Frankfurt – Festhalle
12/3/15 – Hannover – TUI Arena
12/4/15 – Hamburg – O2 Arena
12/5/15 – Hamburg – O2 Arena
12/6/15 – Bremen – OVB
12/8/15 – Berlin – Mercedes Benz Arena
12/9/15 – Erfurt – Messehalle
12//11/15 – Munich – Olympiahalle
12//12/15 – Munich – Olympiahalle
12//13/15 – Munich – Olympiahalle
12/15/15 – Stuttgart – Schleyerhalle
12/16/15 – Mannheim – SAP Arena
12/17/15 – Dortmund – Westfalenhalle
12/18/15 – Cologne – Lazessarena
12/19/15 – Cologne – Lazessarena
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1588 on: July 28, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »

For those who are interested, a late fall tour of Germany for Mike & Bruce has just been announced.

NIGHT OF THE PROMS – GERMANY
11/30/15 – Luxembourg – La Coque
12/1/15 – Frankfurt – Festhalle
12/2/15 –  Frankfurt – Festhalle
12/3/15 – Hannover – TUI Arena
12/4/15 – Hamburg – O2 Arena
12/5/15 – Hamburg – O2 Arena
12/6/15 – Bremen – OVB
12/8/15 – Berlin – Mercedes Benz Arena
12/9/15 – Erfurt – Messehalle
12//11/15 – Munich – Olympiahalle
12//12/15 – Munich – Olympiahalle
12//13/15 – Munich – Olympiahalle
12/15/15 – Stuttgart – Schleyerhalle
12/16/15 – Mannheim – SAP Arena
12/17/15 – Dortmund – Westfalenhalle
12/18/15 – Cologne – Lazessarena
12/19/15 – Cologne – Lazessarena

Thanks.
They actualy are coming to my hometown on dec, 3rd. Although it certainly will be a cool show, I really don't have much need to see them (or Brian and Al) after I saw the Beach Boys (which was in 2012).
Are any SmileySmilers going? Is there a possibility to meet up and have a drink with boardmembers Scott T. and John C.? But then again, I'm not much of a fan of concerts. Maybe I'd join you after the show.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:52:36 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1589 on: July 28, 2015, 03:05:46 PM »

According to a slightly dodgy Google translation, "According to organizers, PSE Germany is the "Night of the Proms" 2015 "marked by stylistic contrasts and exceptional musical bandwidth". So the American cult band The Beach Boys is the Halls "turn into a symphonic beach landscape" if they present in orchestral accompaniment their hits." Quite.

Other artists are:

Fernando Varela
Johannes Oerding
John Miles
Scala & Kolacny Brothers
Il Novecento Orchestra with Robert Groslot

Oddly, this was announced on July 2nd, but flew entirely under the radar until now. Last year, the total attendance was over 150,000.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: July 28, 2015, 05:08:16 PM »

Andrew, the dates were confirmed and released by BRI today.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1591 on: July 29, 2015, 01:00:05 AM »

They're coming to my town too, which actually is near Rocker's town. Even though I qualify as "Mike Love apologist" I'm more a Brian Wilson fan and wouldn't go see M&B if it would cost much money (I'd definitely go if it was free! Cheesy), but Beach Boys songs played with a symphonic orchestra... Hmm... tantalizing. I hope they play Surf's Up, which IMHO only fulfills its potential with a symphonic orchestra.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1592 on: July 29, 2015, 04:33:46 AM »

They're coming to my town too, which actually is near Rocker's town. Even though I qualify as "Mike Love apologist" I'm more a Brian Wilson fan and wouldn't go see M&B if it would cost much money (I'd definitely go if it was free! Cheesy), but Beach Boys songs played with a symphonic orchestra... Hmm... tantalizing. I hope they play Surf's Up, which IMHO only fulfills its potential with a symphonic orchestra.

One could only hope that they will play some fitting songs with orchestra. But remembering that they are tending to play stuff like "Fun, fun, fun" etc. on those occasions (just recently Boston Pops as well as things like the Symphonic Sounds album) which is unimaginative at best and easy to do (how much time for rehearsing with the orchestra do they have anyway?) so that you'd have the same effect if you just use a string sample on your electronic keyboard, I don't give a sh!t. Kudos to them should they play some thoughtful choices, like Please Let Me Wonder, Warmth Of The Sun, 'til I Die and write actually new arrangements for them that bring something new to the tunes and of course songs that already have an orchestral arrangement (in a wide sense) like Surf's Up, Here Today, Cuddle Up, God Only Knows etc. Otherwise I don't really see a point in performing with an orchestra if it's just done the usualy and easy way.

IIRC this is the first time Mike & Bruce are in Germany since the Beach Boys tour. I wonder if the media promos will understand that it's only Mike & Bruce and not all five guys. I'm sure the success of the Beach Boys concerts helped them getting some good bookings now.
Have a great time!

And as I said if there's time for some SmileySmilers after the show in Hannover to have a drink and maybe be joined by Scott Totten and John Cowsill, I'd probably be there to say hi.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1593 on: July 29, 2015, 05:00:52 AM »

Andrew, the dates were confirmed and released by BRI today.

I know, but the web page I got the text from was dated July 2nd, and that had the list of venues as well.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1594 on: July 29, 2015, 05:09:51 AM »

One could only hope that they will play some fitting songs with orchestra. But remembering that they are tending to play stuff like "Fun, fun, fun" etc. on those occasions (just recently Boston Pops as well as things like the Symphonic Sounds album) which is unimaginative at best and easy to do (how much time for rehearsing with the orchestra do they have anyway?) so that you'd have the same effect if you just use a string sample on your electronic keyboard, I don't give a sh!t. Kudos to them should they play some thoughtful choices, like Please Let Me Wonder, Warmth Of The Sun, 'til I Die and write actually new arrangements for them that bring something new to the tunes and of course songs that already have an orchestral arrangement (in a wide sense) like Surf's Up, Here Today, Cuddle Up, God Only Knows etc. Otherwise I don't really see a point in performing with an orchestra if it's just done the usualy and easy way.

Given the number of other artists and the nature of the tour, I rather doubt any of those titles will show up.

IIRC this is the first time Mike & Bruce are in Germany since the Beach Boys tour. I wonder if the media promos will understand that it's only Mike & Bruce and not all five guys. I'm sure the success of the Beach Boys concerts helped them getting some good bookings now.

The photo accompanying the article is accurate-ish, in that it shows Randell instead of Ike, but no-one called Wilson or Jardine is present.

cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: July 29, 2015, 06:18:02 AM »

Rocker and Micha, do yourselves a huge favour, and attend.  Go, and you will be surprised and delighted.

I have seen Brian this year, and the Beach Boys many times in 2015.  Both are events not to be missed.

BB2015 are much improved.

- do not miss it
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1596 on: July 29, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »

Rocker and Micha, do yourselves a huge favour, and attend.  Go, and you will be surprised and delighted.

I have seen Brian this year, and the Beach Boys many times in 2015.  Both are events not to be missed.

BB2015 are much improved.

- do not miss it

I know the guys are good. And I am sure that the concert will be a lot of fun. But as I said, after seeing the Beach Boys, I really don't feel much need to see any of the splinter groups (Mike&Bruce or Brian&Al&Blondie). I am not a concertgoer anyway.

The photo accompanying the article is accurate-ish, in that it shows Randell instead of Ike, but no-one called Wilson or Jardine is present.

That's good. German media usually gets everything wrong it can when it comes to the Beach Boys. I still remember once around 2002 I read an article about Brian's shows in Hamburg and Berlin being totally sold out and then learn afterwards that there probably were more empty seats than people...
But not only that, also the stories about the Beach Boys etc. are mostly garbage
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:17:06 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
cant wait
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: July 29, 2015, 04:14:51 PM »

Rocker
"I know the guys are good. And I am sure that the concert will be a lot of fun. But as I said, after seeing the Beach Boys, I really don't feel much need to see any of the splinter groups (Mike&Bruce or Brian&Al&Blondie)."

you must attend.  otherwise, someday you will wish you had.

- i know
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1598 on: July 29, 2015, 04:18:35 PM »

I've seen Brian over ten times since 1999, and the one or two times I *unavoidably* missed a show near me, I even regret those instances.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: July 29, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

I'm seeing Mike and Bruce in a few weeks in CT.  I enjoy the music and it's performed well. I specifically look for smaller theatre venues now with them because you get the best shows and set lists.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx