gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:41:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 390977 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: June 02, 2015, 09:45:27 AM »

Do you think we can persuade him to dust off Big Sur next?  Grin

He really, really should. And to throw a curveball at the naysayers, how about dusting off the 1970 arrangement?  Azn
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: June 02, 2015, 10:47:03 AM »

All I Wanna Do from Sunday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exwt69SOTbg

Mike's vocal sounds much better!

That's very good, makes you wonder why the song was never given an airing back in the day.

That does sound quite good, and Mike looks like he's feeling it and giving his A-game. Gotta give props, and glad that Mike is no longer overlooking this gem of his and Brian's. I wonder if this song was ever even considered for playing live in the early 70s.
Love it. Sounds great... Hope it sticks around for the US tour.

And yes, Big Sur would be another real treat.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: June 02, 2015, 10:49:35 AM »

Lovely, thanks!  Great to get close-up footage.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: June 02, 2015, 11:28:05 AM »

I agree, much improvement from the debut. Seems to be a fairly challenging vocal and I'm glad to see it make the setlist in the UK. Of all the new "deep cuts" I hope this makes it back to the states later this summer.

You are right, Nicko.

I assume this was a shot at me for thinking this was a positive performance? I assure you I am a brand new member, having never posted to the board before under any other name. I've been lurking for about nine months. Learned a lot from reading the board. Recently picked up Stebbins "In Concert" book and wanted to join the discussion.

I'll be seeing both Brian Wilson (Al Jardine and Blondie) and the M&B Beach Boys in July. I'm looking forward to both shows equally.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: June 02, 2015, 12:05:22 PM »

That Scott picked up the song suggestion from this board, proposed it to Mike, and then championed the arrangement and led the rehearsals for it, cannot be thanked enough.

Thank you Scott!
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: June 02, 2015, 12:33:31 PM »

That's very good, makes you wonder why the song was never given an airing back in the day.

Much better and then at about 0.57 secs it sounds like the recorded vocal, tenderly sung.  Nice one!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1506 on: June 02, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »

... and right at the beginning of the clip you can see a birthday message on the video screen that made someone's day.  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: June 02, 2015, 04:17:05 PM »

... and right at the beginning of the clip you can see a birthday message on the video screen that made someone's day.  Cheesy

and I wasn't even there to see it!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: June 03, 2015, 04:22:44 AM »

I hope the simple handshake I gave her after the concert was appreciated as well.  Roll Eyes

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Ang Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: June 03, 2015, 05:09:15 AM »

Yes, I noticed this ON FB. Lucy seemed absolutely delighted.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:19:44 PM by Ang Jones » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1510 on: June 03, 2015, 09:13:47 AM »

Mike's in great voice there, but someone certainly isn't.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: June 03, 2015, 09:41:48 AM »

It shouldn't be overlooked that out of some fans' request (right here) he went as far as singing All I Wanna Do, which requires a singing style he seldom, if ever, used before or after in his career. The mere fact that he went for it, in such a heartfelt manner, is praiseworthy for me. But not only that... he also sounds pretty cool in it.

My only minor quibble with the arrangement is having John sing a line that is sung by (I believe) Bruce in the original. Nothing against John's wonderful soulful voice, but I prefer Bruce's airy tone in that section. BTW, I think John should try one or two Dennis leads like Baby Blue, Be Still or something like that.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: June 03, 2015, 10:21:28 AM »

Much better and then at about 0.57 secs it sounds like the recorded vocal, tenderly sung.  Nice one!

That's absolutely beautiful.  If Mike keeps going with this current lineup and setlist, I might actually want to go see them!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: June 03, 2015, 10:25:03 AM »

It shouldn't be overlooked that out of some fans' request (right here) he went as far as singing All I Wanna Do, which requires a singing style he seldom, if ever, used before or after in his career. The mere fact that he went for it, in such a heartfelt manner, is praiseworthy for me. But not only that... he also sounds pretty cool in it.

Agreed.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1514 on: June 03, 2015, 10:44:59 AM »

Apologies if this is known already, but I saw a radio advertisement for the Beach Boys at Jackson County Fair, MI, on August 2nd...   Smiley
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: June 03, 2015, 04:51:23 PM »

I like John C and he's been a fabulous replacement as drummer, but I couldn't help but notice when watching the AIWTD recording that when he chimes in it sounds quite tinny. I've heard this before, like on his rendition of Wild Honey.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: June 03, 2015, 05:23:20 PM »

I like John C and he's been a fabulous replacement as drummer, but I couldn't help but notice when watching the AIWTD recording that when he chimes in it sounds quite tinny. I've heard this before, like on his rendition of Wild Honey.

They mike him that way to make Mike Love sound better in comparison

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: June 03, 2015, 09:40:14 PM »

wow...

I've been a little taken away from BB's fandom as of late due to a new job and moving into a new apartment so I've missed a lot of news..

Mike is doing "All I wanna Do" live?Huh  Shocked Shocked

Thanks so much for the video, Mike gave it his all. See this is what a great guy Mike is, doing a song he knows the true fans love...for the true fans..

Thanks Mike, beautiful.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: June 04, 2015, 02:41:25 AM »

I found John's section a touch jarring initially.  But then, on this live version, this part is a bit heavier (in a slightly grungey way) than on the original recording and using John for the vocal as he's like the 'rock' element of the band.  I figured they could have gone for a smoother, more lush approach for it like on the record, but chose not to.  Maybe they felt it needed more punch in a live setting.  Anyway, for me it just took some getting used to, a live version of this being so new, and now I don't mind it.  Maybe it'll change and develop over time if they keep it in the setlist.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:47:31 AM by Fire Wind » Logged

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1519 on: June 04, 2015, 03:30:21 AM »

They mike him that way to make Mike Love sound better in comparison
During soundcheck the sounguy makes sure to give mike love more of what he refers to as "mic love" and he gives  ???stamos the hate. the mike hate. Ha .
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: June 04, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »

Apologies if this is known already, but I saw a radio advertisement for the Beach Boys at Jackson County Fair, MI, on August 2nd...   Smiley

Not on August the 10th? That's what the official website has.
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: June 09, 2015, 01:07:02 AM »

Looks like New Zealand too. Five minutes drive from home in fact.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: June 22, 2015, 08:14:32 AM »

Wow. Ike (and group)does a great job here.

You Still Believe In Me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uT-jQ_BwQ8
Tell me about it! So beautiful it hurts. Thanks to Ike it's got some poetic sheen to it. I read along & the next thing I liked was All This Is That - Chris didn't sound like Carl to me, as others said, but he did on I Can Hear Music! SJB is surprisingly well done. I'm really liking the idea w/ orch. They should hire it more.
I'm not one of fans who clamored for AIWD, & I still think that Cowsill has bad voice, but actually his line sort of gave it an edge. Mike did okay. Aging took its toll, obv.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: June 29, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »

Playing in WV tonight.   Ran inTo Bruce at the town center mall....3 times this afternoon.   spoke to us for a few minutes.  Seemed to be getting off by himself for a bit so we didn't linger.   Asked if we were retired and when we said yes, he reminded us of his age and said he was still working.    I think he was tired.    Scott and John seemed tired when I saw them in March.   Must be a grueling tour for a group of older and aging guys.    Looking forward to the show tonight.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: June 29, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »

Playing in WV tonight.   Ran inTo Bruce at the town center mall....3 times this afternoon.   spoke to us for a few minutes.  Seemed to be getting off by himself for a bit so we didn't linger.   Asked if we were retired and when we said yes, he reminded us of his age and said he was still working.    I think he was tired.    Scott and John seemed tired when I saw them in March.   Must be a grueling tour for a group of older and aging guys.    Looking forward to the show tonight.

Too cool! Very interested in the setlist...here's to something close to what they did overseas!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 75 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx