gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:37:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 ... 75 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Tour 2015  (Read 392941 times)
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1200 on: May 29, 2015, 11:47:16 AM »

Well let history repeat itself - I need to correct something that Ang keeps saying over and over.

Mike Love did NOT refuse to do Surf's Up on the C50 tour.  No one asked to perform that song.

I, however, asked the band to play it when we had some time in Oslo.

Your source "who should know" is either misinformed, or....Huh?

Scott

Thank you SO much Scott. That's exactly what I asked for. I think it's good for some people on this board to know that bands can play songs just because they're great pieces of music, and not because it's a political statement!

It would be interesting to know how Mike and Bruce feel about playing such a trademark Brian Wilson piece without him though. It's not a bad move by any means, but it is definitely the most Brian-centered piece I think maybe the touring band has ever tackled without him.
Carl, Brian and Al shared the leads on the Beach Boys Surf's Up LP.  It seems to be an exhausting song to perform.  The image of a young glossy-haired Brian, solo at the piano for Leonard Bernstein's Inside Pop, is a strong one.  But, Carl sang it on BB tour as well. It isn't new in a live performance setlist.  And certainly Mike and Bruce had been acclimated to it in the setlists.  

Post Carl's passing, the band needed to be rebuilt, almost from scratch.  Once it hit a BB album, it seemed to be BB material.  The UK has enjoyed an immense setlist for a very long time, now. They are very lucky that it is included in the setlist.  
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1201 on: May 29, 2015, 11:57:22 AM »

"Firing" Al Jardine from the band he spent his life working hard for seems like a pretty counterproductive if not maddeningly selfish and control-freaky way to rebuild The Beach Boys, but alrighty then.

If you want to hear a cover band do a good cover of "Surf's Up," The Punch Brothers nail it pretty nicely. Much better harmonies. Granted, their mic stands aren't very well-adjusted.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:01:39 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: May 29, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »

The touring band wasn't "rebuilt almost from scratch" after Carl's passing. In the immediate, it continued in the same exact lineup, only without Al and Matt Jardine after a very short time.

Every other personnel move occurred over the span of many years, one member at a time. Those personnel changes continue to be made, with no less than two changes in the past year or year and a half.

Even folks that aren't that into Mike's band will acknowledge the backing band is much better now than it was in the first five or so years after Carl's death. But nothing was prompted by Carl's passing. It was a gradual process, as it always has been for the backing band.

The only time I can think of that it appears they ever made a specific effort to move a larger hunk of members out of the backing band at the same time was, according to the "Beach Boys in Concert" book, when several guys were let go in 1977 due to, according to the book, those members not embracing TM.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: May 29, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »

The touring band wasn't "rebuilt almost from scratch" after Carl's passing. In the immediate, it continued in the same exact lineup, only without Al and Matt Jardine after a very short time.

Every other personnel move occurred over the span of many years, one member at a time. Those personnel changes continue to be made, with no less than two changes in the past year or year and a half.

Even folks that aren't that into Mike's band will acknowledge the backing band is much better now than it was in the first five or so years after Carl's death. But nothing was prompted by Carl's passing. It was a gradual process, as it always has been for the backing band.

The only time I can think of that it appears they ever made a specific effort to move a larger hunk of members out of the backing band at the same time was, according to the "Beach Boys in Concert" book, when several guys were let go in 1977 due to, according to the book, those members not embracing TM.
In the EH video there is a section with Al where he talks about the touring, as being unthinkable without Carl.  So however a backing band was built or rebuilt, looks pretty different from the beginning. 

The backing band is extraordinary and tight.  I have no knowledge about what role, if any, TM played in 1977, and don't have that book close by, now.
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: May 29, 2015, 12:27:23 PM »

"Firing" Al Jardine from the band he spent his life working hard for seems like a pretty counterproductive if not maddeningly selfish and control-freaky way to rebuild The Beach Boys, but alrighty then.

If you want to hear a cover band do a good cover of "Surf's Up," The Punch Brothers nail it pretty nicely. Much better harmonies. Granted, their mic stands aren't very well-adjusted.
Any day, I'd rather see it done in a BB context, rather than a cover.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1205 on: May 29, 2015, 12:28:33 PM »

Yeah, exactly. Exactly.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1206 on: May 29, 2015, 12:30:40 PM »

In the EH video there is a section with Al where he talks about the touring, as being unthinkable without Carl.  So however a backing band was built or rebuilt, looks pretty different from the beginning. 

To the degree I can understand the last sentence, I don't agree. The band replaced backing band members in the same way post-1998 that they had prior to 1998. Al's comments have nothing to do with the touring band lineup (with the possible exception of the haste with which he himself was gone from the touring band).

Yes, the band looks different in 2015 compared to 1998. It also looked different in 1996 as compared to 1979.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: May 29, 2015, 12:34:26 PM »

All these nasty insults to defend Mike's solo bar band under the BBs name. They truly make a mockery of BW's music.

Scott Totten, unfortunately I can't delete this post ^ but I will apologize to you for it.
Doo Dah
Smiley Smile Associate

One man's troll is another man's freedom fighter.

View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: May 29, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »

Sheriff, It wasn't a personal attack upon anyone, other than a blunt assessment. A music review. And we all know that all of them are subjective.

Those four clips kind of summed up the paradox to me. Even on one of Brian's most difficult nights, I've never seen his touring band less than nail nuanced, fully textured tracks, such as anything from Pet Sounds. When you've got a truncated set-up such as Mike's solo band -  Evil - I mean BEACH BOYS band, there are fewer moving parts. So what do you think is going to happen when they try to weave a tapestry such as All I Wanna Do? A-for-effort, but the result (that night) was subpar. Kinda like a bar band. It was. That and the fact that Mike's voice has taken a beating these past few years what with all the dates.

BUT...Farmers Daughter and Cottonfields fit the bill, and the touring ensemble fit into those like a well worn set of Hush Puppies. They fit nicely.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:52:16 PM by Doo Dah » Logged

AGD is gone.
AGD is gone.
Heigh ho the derry-o
AGD is gone
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: May 29, 2015, 01:10:07 PM »

Sheriff, It wasn't a personal attack upon anyone, other than a blunt assessment. A music review. And we all know that all of them are subjective.

Those four clips kind of summed up the paradox to me. Even on one of Brian's most difficult nights, I've never seen his touring band less than nail nuanced, fully textured tracks, such as anything from Pet Sounds. When you've got a truncated set-up such as Mike's solo band -  Evil - I mean BEACH BOYS band, there are fewer moving parts. So what do you think is going to happen when they try to weave a tapestry such as All I Wanna Do? A-for-effort, but the result (that night) was subpar. Kinda like a bar band. It was. That and the fact that Mike's voice has taken a beating these past few years what with all the dates.

BUT...Farmers Daughter and Cottonfields fit the bill, and the touring ensemble fit into those like a well worn set of Hush Puppies. They fit nicely.

I give props to Mike's band for learning these newly-played classic songs, and I think their hearts are in the right place, though I wonder if it's a sense of competition above all else that's motivating Mike to play these songs. Better late than never I guess. Not intended whatsoever as a diss to any musician, but I do doubt that any member of the band would in their heart of hearts dispute that the songs would probably sound better with a greater quantity of musicians onstage, on par with C50, but I am quite glad they are being played, and I give props to Mike for playing them too.

What bugs me is the Kokomaoists who think it's perfectly fine (and not in any way in poor taste or inappropriate for Mike to continually point out) when Mike does interviews for Mike to bring up Brian having issues and not performing at his otherwise optimal level due to excessive substance abuse decades earlier, but somehow the same Kokomaoists will find it offensive for someone on this board to suggest that Mike may not be singing at his own otherwise optimal level and perhaps would have a stronger voice if it was conserved more by less excessive touring, right? I'm just curious how any Kokomaoist on this board could not call this a hypocritical stance.

These are the things that ultimately piss off fans, and increase divisions. It's a no-brainer that since none of those types of things were said by Mike in interviews during C50, that they are being said now out of some bitter agenda; it ain't a coincidence, folks. If more Kokomaoists stopped being blind yes-men to defending this type of interview stuff, and less (how about zero?) fans openly defended these interviews, perhaps we'd hear less of this type of needless sh*t-stirring in interviews, and then we'd have world peace.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 03:37:34 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1210 on: May 29, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »

All these nasty insults to defend Mike's solo bar band under the BBs name. They truly make a mockery of BW's music.

Scott Totten, unfortunately I can't delete this post ^ but I will apologize to you for it.

I'm with you on this one Sheriff.  Regardless of anybody's feelings on Mike or Bruce, there's no reason to go after the band themselves, who have not done anything to anyone.  Lest anyone forget, two of the members were until recently in Brian's band, and two others were vital members of the C50 band.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Terry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: May 29, 2015, 01:14:00 PM »

The band is so much better now than when I saw them after Carl was gone in 1999...no comparison. Phil Bardowell's falsetto and Mike Kowalski's lagging beats..no thanks.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: May 29, 2015, 01:25:21 PM »

This board hurts these days.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: May 29, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »

Maybe you're just surfing  too much?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: May 29, 2015, 04:13:14 PM »

What happened with Nicko1234?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: May 29, 2015, 04:38:28 PM »

"We've been asked by many fans if we plan to bring this set list home to the States....of course we will!!!  Unfortunately, we have curfews in every venue, but we will always deliver as much music as we can!!!!"

Mike Love

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: May 29, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »

Since taking my week vacation from the board, I do have some thoughts about Mike and his group doing material like "Surf's Up" and "'Til I Die" and stuff like that.

I have to say I'm conflicted. Because since they are the one's carrying the official banner of "The Beach Boys" it is good that they are performing some of Brian's greatest songs for the public. However, listening to Scott Totten murder "Surf's Up", I do have to say how much more I now respect Brian's attempts at the song from there early 2000's up through the BWPS tour. It's pretty obvious to me that current day Brian (i.e. 2002 through now) is still better at doing this song than most.

But anyways, I kinda got off track. I know I myself would kinda roll my eyes when Mike would go on tour, and instead of playing all the great material that's been unexplored by the touring band, he would go and do stuff like "Still Cruisin'" or "Summer In Paradise." But now (or more like since '04 in select places), his group is doing stuff like "'Til I Die", "Surf's Up", "Wild Honey" and others. Which is super cool to me, in a way. It's "The Beach Boys™" doing great Beach Boys songs. However, Scott Totten doing "Surf's Up" or John Cowsill doing "Wild Honey" isn't The Beach Boys doing their material. It's random guys singing Beach Boys songs. And I feel the same way about Darian doing "Darlin'" (as good as he can do it) or Matt Jardine doing "She Knows Me Too Well" or whatever.

So because of this, I think the most reasonable solution is for the lead singers of the original songs to sing the songs (if they are still with us). Therefore for Mike's group, center it on Mike type stuff. People are paying to see him (if they indeed know that they aren't seeing the real Beach Boys). And same for Brian. I think it'd be cool for Brian should stick to the more "Brian" songs for the most part. The ones that work for him these days like "Please Let Me Wonder" and "Caroline No" and stuff like that.  Maybe even "Lonely Sea" Now for stuff like "God Only Knows" and "Good Timin'" obviously it's okay for Brian to do those, especially since his voice is pretty close to Carl's, even after all these years. But anyways, back to what I'm saying, is if Mike wants to do some deeper cuts he should tackle stuff with him originally on lead like "Big Sur" or "Salt Lake City" or whatever. That would make more sense to me. And lastly, there's also some top 40 hits which aren't always parts of setlists, like "Caroline No" (which would still work well for Brian) "Good Timin'" (which Brian should do, since his voice works with it) and "It's OK" (obviously for Mike), which somehow seem to get forgotten when it's setlist time.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:29:13 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: May 29, 2015, 04:55:59 PM »

<<So because of this, I think the most reasonable solution is for the lead singers of the original songs to sing the songs (if they are still with us). Therefore for Mike's group, center it on Mike type stuff. People are paying to see him (if they indeed know that they aren't seeing the real Beach Boys). >>

By this logic,  Billy Hinsche  shouldn't have sung Sail On Sailor, I'm Waiting for the Day, In My Room or even Wipe Out, Jeff Foskett never should have attempted Warmth of the Sun back in the early 80s, Blondie should never have touched Wild Honey, Bruce should not have done Wendy or Do You Wanna Dance or God Only Knows or Please Let Me Wonder or In My Room, Carl should have given Caroline No a pass, Dennis and Carl should have skipped Help Me Rhonda and - heavens - Al Jardine never should have touched Surfer Girl.  Or Heroes and Villains.  Or Wouldn't It Be Nice.  Or Sloop John B.  Or You're So Good To Me.  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:03:54 PM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: May 29, 2015, 04:57:17 PM »

I give props to Mike's band for learning these newly-played classic songs, and I think their hearts are in the right place, though I wonder if it's a sense of competition above all else that's motivating Mike to play these songs. Better late than never I guess. Not intended whatsoever as a diss to any musician, but I do doubt that any member of the band would in their heart of hearts dispute that the songs would probably sound better with a greater quantity of musicians onstage, on par with C50, but I am quite glad they are being played, and I give props to Mike for playing them too.

What bugs me is the Kokomaoists who think it's perfectly fine (and not in any way in poor taste or inappropriate for Mike to continually point out) when Mike does interviews for Mike to bring up Brian having issues and not performing at his otherwise optimal level due to excessive substance abuse decades earlier, but somehow the same Kokomaoists will find it offensive for someone on this board to suggest that Mike may not be singing at his own otherwise optimal level and perhaps would have a stronger voice if it was conserved more by less excessive touring, right? I'm just curious how any Kokomaoist on this board could not call this a hypocritical stance.

These are the things that ultimately piss off fans, and increase divisions. It's a no-brainer that since none of those types of things were said by Mike in interviews during C50, that they are being said now out of some bitter agenda; it ain't a coincidence, folks. If more Kokomaoists stopped being blind yes-men to defending this type of interview stuff, and less (how about zero?) fans openly defended these interviews, perhaps we'd hear less of this type of needless sh*t-stirring in interviews, and then we'd have world peace.
In the end, I cannot do anything about what either Mike or Brian say about one another. It isn't worth arguing over and I can't make them take it back and sing Kumbia. What I fail to understand is why we continue to cat fight instead of discussing it rationally. With Surf's Up, I don't care who sings the song. It is a Beach Boys song, not a Brian Wilson solo number. Any of the guys have a right to perform it if they choose to do so. The last I checked Brian, Mike, Al and Bruce are still Beach Boys and should never be questioned about performing any song that is in the band's canon. We complained for years that Mike mainly performed a meat & potatoes set. We should be happy that he now wants to perform the numbers that we always wanted him to do. My wish is that he carries it on back here in the states later this summer.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:05:48 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: May 29, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »

<<So because of this, I think the most reasonable solution is for the lead singers of the original songs to sing the songs (if they are still with us). Therefore for Mike's group, center it on Mike type stuff. People are paying to see him (if they indeed know that they aren't seeing the real Beach Boys). >>

By this logic,  Billy Hinsche  shouldn't have sung Sail On Sailor, I'm Waiting for the Day, In My Room or even Wipe Out, Jeff Foskett never should have attempted Warmth of the Sun back in the early 80s, Blondie should never have touched Wild Honey, Bruce should not have done Wendy or Do You Wanna Dance or God Only Knows or Please Let Me Wonder, Carl should have given Caroline No a pass, Dennis and Carl should have skipped Help Me Rhonda and - heavens - Al Jardine never should have touched Surfer Girl.  Or Heroes and Villains.  Or Wouldn't It Be Nice.  Or Sloop John B.  Or You're So Good To Me. 
Exactly! The Beach Boys live show would have totally blew chunks if all of those songs were passed up because Brian decided to give up touring.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: May 29, 2015, 05:05:20 PM »

<<We complained for years that Mike mainly performed a meat & potatoes set. We should be happy that he now wants to perform the numbers that we always wanted him to do. My wish is that he carries it on back here in the states later this summer.>>

True words there... and sad to say, at some point in the future there will be no original Beach Boys singing these songs.  Enjoy while you can.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 05:06:58 PM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: May 29, 2015, 05:09:47 PM »

I'm glad to be able to see any of them in concert at this rate.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: May 29, 2015, 05:19:46 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: May 29, 2015, 06:09:42 PM »

"We were looking forward to kicking off our “2015 Summer Days Tour” with a set list that best represents our catalog. There were a few songs we've never performed live like “All I Wanna Do”, and others we haven't performed for awhile. For me personally, it was emotionally rewarding to dive so deeply into our catalog."

Mike Love

"We've been asked by many fans if we plan to bring this set list home to the States....of course we will!!!  Unfortunately, we have curfews in every venue, but we will always deliver as much music as we can!!!!"

Mike Love

Is there a source or are you in fact Mike Love? Wink
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: May 29, 2015, 06:14:37 PM »

"We were looking forward to kicking off our “2015 Summer Days Tour” with a set list that best represents our catalog. There were a few songs we've never performed live like “All I Wanna Do”, and others we haven't performed for awhile. For me personally, it was emotionally rewarding to dive so deeply into our catalog."

Mike Love

Mike Love

Is there a source or are you in fact Mike Love? Wink
Facebook

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,