gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680814 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:36:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Credits on Only With You  (Read 7145 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »

Hi Mikie.  Ya...You caught me.  Just kind of thought that maybe I should move away a little from using the real name on-line...especially if I'm gonna do any 'spouting'.   Water builds up you know.  And then...BOOM!!!   I think "The less cyber-space knows about me the better. "

Anyway...It wasn't 77...'cause I was still in Winnipeg then and this happened in T.O.

Big changes though from '72 when I first spent serious time with Carl to the later 70s and 80s.  [and now]  They all used to get along quite well I thought.  [Brian...not so much...but, again, I have some personal theories about why SOME of it came off the tracks there and it had more to do with the artistic Brian than the man in need of a proper diagnosis.  although perhaps the two fought each other as well...the mis-diagnosed guy and the artistic guy.]  Anyway...too bad about Shut Down.  Good site that.  This one?  It'll take me some time to kind of figure out who's who.  LOADS of Brian vs. Mike vs. Brian stuff.  Gawd that's old. Roll Eyes

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »

Add Some, this board is 10x better than the now defunct Shut Down board. No control freaks here and you're free to speak your mind (within the rules) without somebody looking over your shoulder all the time. Yeah, water builds up sometimes, but without people disagreeing once in awhile, the board would be boring. Excitement is good and healthy! Welcome back, man.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2014, 06:29:11 PM »

I would think Dennis and Mike had some respect for each other's talent and so they collaborated with each other. And don't forget Dennis had Mike do the vocal on "All I Want to Do," even though it would have suited Dennis well, too. Af course, Dennis chose to handle the tag on that one.  LOL

"Sound of Free" was released in Europe only, right? It's too bad it didn't come out in the U.S. (before Made in California). Obviously I'm a big fan of the song.

As for their personal relationships, I have to think that up until the airport tarmac blowup in 1977 that there were still good moments. The  Timothy White book describes a 1976 session where Brian (and presumably Timothy White) walked in on a very friendly conversation between Dennis, Mike and Stan. That's where Dennis said how much he loved "The Wiz" on Broadway.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »

I would think Dennis and Mike had some respect for each other's talent and so they collaborated with each other. And don't forget Dennis had Mike do the vocal on "All I Want to Do," even though it would have suited Dennis well, too. Af course, Dennis chose to handle the tag on that one.  LOL

"Sound of Free" was released in Europe only, right? It's too bad it didn't come out in the U.S. (before Made in California). Obviously I'm a big fan of the song.

As for their personal relationships, I have to think that up until the airport tarmac blowup in 1977 that there were still good moments. The  Timothy White book describes a 1976 session where Brian (and presumably Timothy White) walked in on a very friendly conversation between Dennis, Mike and Stan. That's where Dennis said how much he loved "The Wiz" on Broadway.

Can you imagine what the Beach Boys universe would look like if Mike had handled the "All I Want To Do" tag Wink
robmhendrick
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2014, 08:02:57 PM »

If I'm not mistaken,  Dennis collaborated with Mike more than any other Beach Boy!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 08:10:18 PM »

If I'm not mistaken,  Dennis collaborated with Mike more than any other Beach Boy!

Mmmm ... my suspicion is that he collaborated more often with Brian, but those tunes weren't always release or credited as collaborations. Example one: Little Bird. Example two: vocal arrangements on Forever. Example three: Stevie. Examples four and five: Oh Lord and City Blues. And Brian nicked some of Dennis's stuff for Someone to Love on SI (he uses the San Miguel verse melody) and Rio Grande.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 08:44:22 PM »

I would think Dennis and Mike had some respect for each other's talent and so they collaborated with each other. And don't forget Dennis had Mike do the vocal on "All I Want to Do," even though it would have suited Dennis well, too. Af course, Dennis chose to handle the tag on that one.  LOL

As for their personal relationships, I have to think that up until the airport tarmac blowup in 1977 that there were still good moments. The  Timothy White book describes a 1976 session where Brian (and presumably Timothy White) walked in on a very friendly conversation between Dennis, Mike and Stan. That's where Dennis said how much he loved "The Wiz" on Broadway.

If I'm not mistaken,  Dennis collaborated with Mike more than any other Beach Boy!
He collaborated with Carl more than any other Beach Boy. Dennis' co-writing credits with Carl include...Friends, When A Man Needs A Woman, It's About Time, Barnyard Blues, River Song, Rainbows...and some would add Holy Man. Wirestone is right that he also collaborated with Brian quite a bit, but in a different way.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 08:46:48 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 09:51:27 PM »

Mr. Stebbins, might I ask again for the location of that Jack Reilly quote that you mentioned? You made me curious.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 10:01:11 PM »

Mr. Stebbins, might I ask again for the location of that Jack Reilly quote that you mentioned? You made me curious.
I paraphrase in the Beach Boys FAQ book, but I'm blanking on the source at the moment. Maybe in the In Concert book files I will find it. It was def out there.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »

I paraphrase in the Beach Boys FAQ book, but I'm blanking on the source at the moment. Maybe in the In Concert book files I will find it. It was def out there.

I own both books - which chapter in the FAQ?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »

I would think Dennis and Mike had some respect for each other's talent and so they collaborated with each other. And don't forget Dennis had Mike do the vocal on "All I Want to Do," even though it would have suited Dennis well, too. Af course, Dennis chose to handle the tag on that one.  LOL

As for their personal relationships, I have to think that up until the airport tarmac blowup in 1977 that there were still good moments. The  Timothy White book describes a 1976 session where Brian (and presumably Timothy White) walked in on a very friendly conversation between Dennis, Mike and Stan. That's where Dennis said how much he loved "The Wiz" on Broadway.

If I'm not mistaken,  Dennis collaborated with Mike more than any other Beach Boy!
He collaborated with Carl more than any other Beach Boy. Dennis' co-writing credits with Carl include...Friends, When A Man Needs A Woman, It's About Time, Barnyard Blues, River Song, Rainbows...and some would add Holy Man. Wirestone is right that he also collaborated with Brian quite a bit, but in a different way.

Jon - by chance, is anything known about what Dennis' songwriting contributions were to the songs Friends and When A Man Needs A Woman? Wondering if its known if his contributions went beyond writing drum parts on those tunes.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 12:42:47 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2014, 08:39:58 AM »

The paraphrase is on page 125 but the actual quote is even more biting than that. I'm looking for it.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2014, 08:46:10 AM »

Jon - by chance, is anything known about what Dennis' songwriting contributions were to the songs Friends and When A Man Needs A Woman? Wondering if its known if his contributions went beyond writing drum parts on those tunes.
I'd never heard that his co-credits on the Friends songs had to do with drum parts. With the song Friends i know he contributed to the vocal arrangement and I'd bet it was the buildup aaaaaahhhhhhh, but I have no specifics on either. It would be a great thing to learn about, but I've found that when you ask Al he doesn't remember, Brian might.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2014, 09:13:15 AM »

I'd never heard that his co-credits on the Friends songs had to do with drum parts. With the song Friends i know he contributed to the vocal arrangement and I'd bet it was the buildup aaaaaahhhhhhh, but I have no specifics on either. It would be a great thing to learn about, but I've found that when you ask Al he doesn't remember, Brian might.

Isnt that Jim Gordon on drums for Friends?

My guess (and this is just a guess) is that Dennis and Carl just leaned in and came up with their own harmony parts for the song as Brian banged it out on the piano.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »

The paraphrase is on page 125 but the actual quote is even more biting than that. I'm looking for it.

Thanks! Smiley To those who don't want to get up and fetch their copy from the bookshelf, in the FAQ it is said that the group voiced jealousy of the songs on which Dennis sang lead.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx