gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680558 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:05:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Talking Heads  (Read 7275 times)
Jason
« on: January 02, 2006, 01:39:31 PM »

Let's have at it for the second new wave band (sorry, but Roxy Music came first....and we all know that Eno is God).

David Byrne is a fucking genius.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:46:11 PM »

Chris's review thread was some of the best writing on music I have ever read. Chris, did you save that stuff, and if so, can you repost here?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 05:51:34 PM »

Thanks Ian, but unfortunately I don't have it.  They were a great band, going far beyond any classification like New Wave.  Each album is great, and the last few seem to be finally getting a slow understanding recently.  And their film True Stories is very underrated -- Kevin Smith certainly started a nice career doing his version of it.

I am disappointed with their way of releasing rarities though.  A few on each hits package and reissue?  They should have just put out a nice rarities boxset.  f*** the album reissues, the vinyl sounds much better anyway.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 06:12:49 PM »

Do I have any reason to get the new issues?  I am currently content with the old CDs and their sound.

Great, great band.  They get talked about mostly for Byrne and his lyrics and style, yet this band was always about the rhythm section and the groove.  Whether they were in new wave style, funk, or African adventures, Chris and Tina always ruled the best tracks.
Chris D.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 06:19:26 PM »

Jeff, the new issues have a lot of nice-looking bonus stuff.  I guess it just depends on whether you feel it's worth it for that.  I've heard a lot of complaints about the new discs not working for people since they are dualdisc, though.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 08:25:07 PM »

Talking Heads were responsible for a great piece of Bubblegum - Psycho Killer!
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 11:16:01 PM »

I saw them live on their tour with the expanded band. One of the best shows I've ever seen! That big suit, Tina's bass, the running around on stage...
And all those people coming on stage one by one. All first rate musicians...

They even played 'Wordy Rappinghood'!

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 07:56:22 PM »

Talking Heads released a box set called "Brick" back in November.  Essentially it's all eight of their studio albums on DualDisc (a double-sided disc with a CD layer on one side and a DVD layer on the other side).  The CD sides of the discs all contain their respective album remastered as well as bonus tracks.  The DVD sides of the discs have their respective album in high resolution 5.1 surround sound and stereo mixes for DVD-Audio players and Dolby Digital Surround and Stereo mixes for standard DVD-Video players.  The surround sound mixes were done under the supervision of Jerry Harrison.  The DVD sides also contain some of the same bonus tracks as the CD side of the disc, in higher-quality sound, and also include videos on some discs.

Each album has expanded liner notes including notes on the 5.1 surround remixes, photos, and neat cards with cool art on them.

If you're a Talking Heads fan, this is a must-have.  I got this set and I can't stop listening to it.  These albums sound absolutely AMAZING in surround sound!

The albums included are:

Talking Heads: 77 [1977]
More Songs About Buildings and Food [1978]
Fear of Music [1979]
Remain in Light [1980]
Speaking in Tongues [1983]
Little Creatures [1985]
True Stories [1986]
Naked [1988]

Does anyone else have this set?  If so, what are your opinions?

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 02:55:51 PM »

Saw them at the Lyceum in London just before the release of 'More Songs...' - I was right at the front an managed to startle David Byrne simply by saying 'Hello There' to him between songs. He looked at me for about 30 seconds like a deer caught in headlights before saying hi back. Haven't got any of their stuff on CD yet, just all the vinyl, so these reissues sound very interesting. I love 5.1 stuff and can imagine 'Remain In Light' should sound excellent.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 03:07:54 PM »

I don't often tell anybody this, but I was at one of the nights at the Pantages when Stop Making Sense was filmed. Great show.

Chris D.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 05:03:44 PM »

Why, 'cause you slept with David Byrne?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 05:13:06 PM »

No, but Chris Frantz hit me with his rhythm stick.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 05:27:20 PM »

I don't often tell anybody this, but I was at one of the nights at the Pantages when Stop Making Sense was filmed. Great show.
Jeez, you got to see every major good show.  I was lucky to be at the show Glass Harp recorded for their live album.  I never get to see the good stuff.

So, just how re-recorded WAS Stop Making Sense?  You would be in a position to know.

Re-recorded or not the DVD is essential.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 05:55:40 PM »

It sounded perfect to me!
I think the entire audio for the film was re-recorded though.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 05:58:54 PM »

Yeah, from what I heard the "live" album had very little live content and may be the least live album ever released.  Still great but more than a bit deceptive.  But I forgive them for the far superior versions of "Once In a Lifetime" and "Girlfriend Is Better" among others that blow away the original studio versions.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 06:05:43 PM »

Yeah, it doesn't really matter to me, they're different versions, and that's fine with me.
What A Day That Was is my jam on that record.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx