gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:07:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update to beachboysarchives.com  (Read 2281 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2006, 02:54:20 PM »

My essay on the "Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)" album is now available fo viewing.  Go to
www.beachboysarchives.com
and click the appropriate links.

There may still be a few revisions to be made in the coming days, but it's basically all there.
Many thanks to Mark, Alan, and Josh for providing valuable historical details. 
Hope everyone enjoys it.

Craig
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 05:13:24 PM »

Man, that's great !!! I'm not through with reading yet, but I can't wait for the next update !! Congrats !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 05:14:42 PM »

WOW, totally awesome stuff, fascinating read!  Thank you so very much!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 05:45:44 PM »

Amazing Craig...just amazing. I can't wait for you to get your brain and ears around All Summer Long.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 09:29:11 PM »

Thanks, Craig.  We appreciate the work you've put into researching and writing these things up.

Amazing Craig...just amazing. I can't wait for you to get your brain and ears around All Summer Long.               

Is that what's next?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 10:30:40 PM »

Thanks, Craig.  We appreciate the work you've put into researching and writing these things up.

Is that what's next?

That's the one I have the most curiosity about...I don't know about Craig's plan.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 10:32:59 PM »

ASL could be difficult, because there's a lot of gaps in the documentation as well as a lack of circulating session tape.  Of course, that's all the more reason to dive in and try to sort some of it out.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 05:29:48 AM »

I plan on finishing up 1965 and 1966 first, so after the "Summer Days" outtakes, we'll have "Party!", the "Party!" outtakes, the "Little Girl" single, "Pet Sounds", and a special essay on the "Good Vibrations" sessions.  Some of these last two are already finished (they were among my first writings).  With some luck, these all might be up before year's end.  The two reasons I chose to start with 1965 and 1966 are (1) they are the most-documented years in terms of what I call "primary sources" (circulating session tapes & AFM contracts), and (2) as Josh says, those years are "Brian's masterpiece". 

I'm dreading the thought of a "SMiLE" essay...so many people are more knowledeable on that subject than I, plus there are some gaps there, as well.  Not saying I won't do it, of course...just
that it will be a challenge, and I'll need lots of help from people who know more than I.

Before I do "SMiLE", I just might go all the way back to the beginning, with the Hite Morgan sessions, and work my way through the end of 1964 to complete everything pre-"SMiLE".  By then, Jon's book on Dave will be out, and should be very benefical as a source for the early years.  That's kinda the plan for now, I guess.  I could go either way on "SMiLE", but definitely I'll get up to that point before doing anything else. 

Craig

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx