gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:06:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bone of Contention with Brian  (Read 4761 times)
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:13:13 AM »

In his song "H.E.L.P. Is On the Way", it says, and I quote: "Your education creates much benefit and peace." Now I'd argue that the Western educational system is diametrically opposed to peaceful living. Its doctrines of environmental exploitation and materialistic aspiration, in fact,  encourage war. So why would Brian endorse such a message?

Steve Latshaw?
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:22:21 AM »

I think the line is actually "Health through Education creates Love which benefits Peace" (note that the capitalized letters spell out H.E.L.P., explaining why it reads that way in the title rather than just as "Help").  The line is about why it's important to educate people about their health rather than an endorsement of this phantom monolithic Western education system, whatever that is.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:43:39 AM »

The education in the different countries of the western hemisphere differ from one another, so you can't generalize that. I have no clue about Eastern educational systems, are they better? Given all that I.S. fighting, I'd say "currently not".

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 07:59:02 AM »

It's my understanding that H.E.L.P. is On The Way is the first section of a three part mini suite devoted to world peace, the evils of pollution (air, water, earth and noise - the "elements" of pollution, if you will),  and nutrition.  The second section was an aborted Spring track called Pipe Stem (an allusion to Murray, no doubt), before evolving into a Carl & the Passions out-take called Cigar Butt.  It's third and final incarnation was Cigarette Butt, a.k.a. Everyone Wants to Live. 

The third and final section was, of course, Shortnin' Bread.  In 3/4 waltz time. Those who have heard the last section say it's like no other version of Shortnin' Bread we've ever experienced.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:03:20 AM »

We all know Brian is a champion of the automobile. From "Little Deuce Coupe" to "In My Car" and "Desert Drive", the man loves burning through fossil fuels like there's no tomorrow. As we know, America's addiction to oil has "fueled" unrest throughout the world. Frankly, the man needs to realign his priorities.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »

Didn't Al Jardine strive relentlessly to help him do that and smash the oil cartels? He was pushing "Run, James, Run" a lot in interviews last year and vaguely calling it some sort of eco-friendly car song.
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 08:23:45 AM »

I think the line is actually "Health through Education creates Love which benefits Peace" (note that the capitalized letters spell out H.E.L.P., explaining why it reads that way in the title rather than just as "Help").  The line is about why it's important to educate people about their health rather than an endorsement of this phantom monolithic Western education system, whatever that is.

I'm not not so sure that Health creates Love. How would that work exactly?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:45 AM »

Extremely loose acronym policy.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »

Quote from: ontor pertawst
Didn't Al Jardine strive relentlessly to help him do that and smash the oil cartels? He was pushing "Run, James, Run" a lot in interviews last year and vaguely calling it some sort of eco-friendly car song.

All I heard about was a song about wheatgrass juice.

Wheatin', so wheatin' me
Have some wheatgrass juice
(Drink a little wheat wheat wheat grass, drink a little)
(Grass wheatin' me)

Have some grass

Wheat wheat wheat wheat wheat
Now now now now now

Wheatin', so wheatin' me

When Mike Love's got you down
Here's what you oughta
Get yourself some fresh wheatgrass juice
(The wheatgrass wheatin' me)
Wheatgrass juice

In a cafe or in the booth
Wheatgrass juice is the truth
From urban farms on down to the store
Wheatgrass keeps on wheatin' more
When ol' Joe is playin' steel guitar
I keep on dreamin' 'bout a wheatgrass bar

When I'm just too tired to move
Wheatgrass juice is such a groove
In a shady spot when I'm layin' down
Only thing movin' are the ants on the ground

Wheatgrass juice keeps on wheatin' me
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:42:58 AM by Mr. Cohen » Logged
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 08:45:35 AM »

Quote from: ontor pertawst

All I heard about was a song about wheatgrass juice.

Wheatin', so wheatin' me
(Grass wheatin' me)

Have some grass

Wheat wheat wheat wheat wheat
Now now now now now

Wheatin', so wheatin' me

When Mike Love's got you down
Here's what you oughta
Get yourself some fresh wheatgrass juice
(The wheatgrass wheatin' me)
Wheatgrass juice

In a cafe or in the booth
Wheatgrass juice is the truth
From urban farms on down to the store
Wheatgrass keeps on wheatin' more
When ol' Joe is playin' steel guitar
I keep on dreamin' 'bout a wheatgrass bar

When I'm just too tired to move
Wheatgrass juice is such a groove
In a shady spot when I'm layin' down
Only thing movin' are the ants on the ground

Thanks a lot! Now I gotta get me some wheatgrass juice, and my wheatgrass bar is closed for renovations.

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 09:12:44 AM »

That would be the explanation.  Any problems with the lyrics should probably be taken up with the owners of the restaurant that Brian liked.  As I recall, they spelled out the acronym's meaning on the menu or something.  I only went there once because he wanted to go and he liked the food.  He also really liked hamburgers, but I don't think any of this is big news.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 09:23:22 AM »

That would be the explanation.  Any problems with the lyrics should probably be taken up with the owners of the restaurant that Brian liked.  As I recall, they spelled out the acronym's meaning on the menu or something.  I only went there once because he wanted to go and he liked the food.  He also really liked hamburgers, but I don't think any of this is big news.

Do you recall the address of the restaurant? Perhaps you have a menu or know someone that does?  Maybe you know the owners or know who they were...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

H.E.L.P. was at Fairfax and Third.  Don't recall the exact address but it's right across Fairfax street from the Farmer's Market and what is now the Grove complex.  The next block (going west) on Fairfax is the Writers Guild of America building.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 09:47:49 AM »

H.E.L.P. was at Fairfax and Third.  Don't recall the exact address but it's right across Fairfax street from the Farmer's Market and what is now the Grove complex.  The next block (going west) on Fairfax is the Writers Guild of America building.

Is the building still there, or has it been replaced?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 09:51:18 AM »

I remember it was more down in the Fairfax District - maybe even on Fairfax, but definitely didn't keep a menu or anything else from it.  I just remember reading what H.E.L.P. stood for at the restaurant.

Do you recall the address of the restaurant? Perhaps you have a menu or know someone that does?  Maybe you know the owners or know who they were...
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 10:04:43 AM »

I stand corrected... perhaps an early attempt by the band at misdirection... Wikia shows this as located at the corner of North San Vicente Blvd and Melrose, in West Hollywood.  Heavily built over now with giant complexes and modern coffee shops, etc.

http://beachboys.wikia.com/wiki/Historical_Sites
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »

I stand corrected... perhaps an early attempt by the band at misdirection... Wikia shows this as located at the corner of North San Vicente Blvd and Melrose, in West Hollywood.  Heavily built over now with giant complexes and modern coffee shops, etc.

My memory may be really faulty, but 3rd and Fairfax sounds far more like where we went to H.E.L.P.  Might the location have changed?  I suppose San Vicente and Melrose could be correct.  It's been a very, very long time...
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 11:35:07 AM »

3rd and Fairfax is quoted in the song... maybe that's it.  There are still some of the older buildings along the north side of Fairfax in that block... now a combination of liquor stores, deli, etc.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »

Is "Bone of Contention" the name of Brian's new album??

Old Man

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »

Is "Bone of Contention" the name of Brian's new album??

Old Man

It's an outtake from Pleasure Island Smiley
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »

I always thought they were saying "manifests in peace".

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »

I think the line is actually "Health through Education creates Love which benefits Peace"

I just listened to it 20 or so times, I have no idea what they do sing, but this comes closest. Lyricwiki claims "H.E.L.P. your education creates much benefit and peace", which definitely lacks a syllable or two. What's Brian singing on top? "Help creator peace"Huh

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 11:59:03 PM »

I stand corrected... perhaps an early attempt by the band at misdirection... Wikia shows this as located at the corner of North San Vicente Blvd and Melrose, in West Hollywood.  Heavily built over now with giant complexes and modern coffee shops, etc.

That's where the Radiant Radish was. Like it says in the link you provided.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:01:29 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx