gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 04:15:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys' Vocal Range  (Read 7383 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2006, 09:32:53 AM »

I remember reading an interview with Brian in the 60's where he spoke about each of their vocal ranges. Does anyone have this handy or anything?

Did Brian arrange the vocals mathematically for whose voice would be most technically fit for the part or simply by feel and timbre of the voice? A mix of both at once?

What is Mike Love's highest pitch sung during his career in the Beach Boys? Dennis?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »

I remember reading an interview with Brian in the 60's where he spoke about each of their vocal ranges. Does anyone have this handy or anything?

That's in the Badman book somewhere.  I forget what he said about his own range, but Mike was an E above middle C, Dennis a G, Carl A, and Al a B.

Did Brian arrange the vocals mathematically for whose voice would be most technically fit for the part or simply by feel and timbre of the voice? A mix of both at once?

It had to be both

What is Mike Love's highest pitch sung during his career in the Beach Boys? Dennis?

I believe that Mike sings an A in falsetto in All I Wanna Do - don't know if that's the highest

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 01:17:05 PM »

Thank you.

Interesting about Mike's vocal on 'All I Wanna Do'.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 01:17:49 PM »

That high note Carl hits in "Surf's Up" has to be higher than an A above middle C! Listening

Bruce could consistently sing the highest of the lot.
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 03:23:03 PM »

That high note Carl hits in "Surf's Up" has to be higher than an A above middle C! Listening

In falsetto, sure.  Brian was talking about their natural ranges

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »

I think there's more impressive falsetto bits than Surf's Up, it's just in Surf's Up it's the only voice so you hear it clearer.  Brian's riff @ the end of GV, is outstanding, his vocal up and down on "Warmth Of The Sun" is almost impossible to replicate, etc.

I saw a video the other day of the band early on singing Surfer Girl live.  It was so strange to see Brian so effortlessly sing Falsetto, most people have to strain and really blow to get it to come out so pure in a song like that, Brian just hardly opens his mouth and the high notes come swooning out.  I also noticed he was playing the bass, so, not only was he singing the high harmony of the song vocally, he was playing the lowest harmony of the song with his hands at the same time. 
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 06:50:04 PM »

in the TM Song (15 big ones) during  the mock (?) argument, somebody, I think it's Mike, screams YOU keep outta this...the "YOU" is WAY WAY up there...though I guess technically that's not singing...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 08:49:15 PM »

in the TM Song (15 big ones) during  the mock (?) argument, somebody, I think it's Mike, screams YOU keep outta this...the "YOU" is WAY WAY up there...though I guess technically that's not singing...

hahaha

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 06:38:32 AM »

I was at least semi-serious...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx