gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:12:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS 1964 KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER (follow up to The Big Beat 1963)  (Read 94260 times)
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 23, 2015, 07:29:30 AM »

Right, exactly. As I understand it, there IS no clear-cut way to definitely say 'A is compressed, B isn't'. There are things you can analyse that could be signifiers that compression has taken place, but they're not guarantees. It's a judgement call which can really only be made on the basis of careful analysis of a number of factors.

And I'm not sure I would trust the say-so of a completely free, web-based app to make this sometimes complex judgement. Much less one that simply 'passes' or 'fails' the files you put through it with no indication of how it's reached that conclusion...

EDIT: OK runners, just saw your last post. How do *you* decide if something's compressed? Genuine question, I'm not being snarky. And you're welcome to analyse sections from a couple of the better-quality tracks I got yesterday from the Qobuz version of The Big Beat if you like - I'll put a couple of extracts somewhere you can get 'em. 'Stand by', as they used to say at NASA...

EDIT EDIT: Check your PMs, dood.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:54:01 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 23, 2015, 08:50:06 AM »

Awright, I've recieved two songs in Apple lossless format (which I promptly deleted after doing these tests). Based on what I'm seeing, they're almost certainly lossless and not transcodes. Here are some examples:

Using my semi-ancient recording software, there's a "Frequency Analysis" tool. I can't claim to know everything about it, but I know enough to generally know what it is and how to use it in terms of identifying lossy/lossless files. Here's what it shows at the one minute mark of "The Big Beat" on the retail lossless version:

Here's the one minute mark of the original retail 320kbps MP3 of "The Big Beat":

If you look to the right on the image, you'll see a sharp dip that is not present on the lossless version - this shows the frequencies that are missing on the lossy version. As you go below 320kbps or a high quality variable bitrate MP3 (which I prefer to 320kbps) - say, 128kbps (the effects of which can be seen here on the same song/same time, for those who are curious) or 192kbps, the "dip" goes further to the left as more frequencies are lopped off. The rest of it looks subtly different between these two images too, but this is due to the frequencies being different than the lossless version. The "dip" I mentioned is the biggest indicator, though.

When I align the files with one another and then invert the lossless version, there's no phasing, only a bit of sound that accounts for the frequency loss on the lossy version, thus confirming that the 320kbps version and the lossless version used the exact same source files.

Here's the frequency analysis on "Mother May I" at the thirty second minute mark, retail lossless version:

And the 320kbps retail lossy version at the thirty second mark, sold in 2013:

You'll again see that, on the right side of the image, there are frequencies missing in the lossy version that are not missing on the lossless version.

From what I can gather, the lossless version of the album is indeed lossless and not just a transcode of the album taken from iTunes or something. I can't say for sure about the Live In Sacramento or the Keep An Eye On Summer albums, but I'd take The Big Beat 1963 appearing to be lossless as a good sign for both releases. Very glad to say so, as I was worried about this because occasionally, lossy files ARE sold as lossless, and the advancement of high quality audio kind of takes a kick to the groin when that sort of thing happens as it can kind of deter folks from purchasing these albums.

So yeah. *thumbs up symbol from MSN*
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:50:57 AM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2015, 08:55:45 AM »

Runners, you know this anyway, but: you rool.

Thanks!

And now, I'm pondering: *DO* I shill for KAEOS64 from Qobuz? It kinda grates having paid for it from iTunes just last month, but then again...

...then again, I actually DIDN'T pay for it last month. I used an iTunes gift voucher someone gave me a few years back! So now the little devil on my shoulder is going 'come on, buy it lossless. You haven't ACTUALLY paid for it yet, after all...'

The weird thing is, someone on here definitely said that it would be a cold day in hell (or words to that effect) before lossless versions of the KAEOS64 files were released. I can't remember who it was now, but I remember thinking that it was someone with decent connections to the inner circle, and that made me think that we would never get an uncompressed version of the album. And yet, it looks like maybe, just a month later, we have. WTF?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:05:42 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »

Awesome analysis, Runners!  Thanks!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2015, 10:42:13 AM »

Yeah, best post you've made in months!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #330 on: January 23, 2015, 11:14:25 AM »

There's a flac* version of Live From Sacramento up on Pono music right now (US only - which they forget to tell you til you reach checkout  Roll Eyes ) *well it says it is.

https://ponomusic.force.com/ccrz__CCPage?pageKey=product&oId=of%3A5b1ad32586d040ecb41e85e319191d5e&type=Album&artistId=of%3A23503756b6354a23be87384632a4609d  

Still only 44.1kHz/16 bit. Which may not be noticeably better than the mp3 version, based on what Rob (Custom Machine) says above...

44.1kHz/16 bit lossless would be CD quality, i.e. above that of MP3.

That may have been true a year or two ago, but as Custom Machine pointed out earlier in the thread, the NEW, hi-res mp3s are not noticeably lower in quality than CDs. These aren't your granddaddy's mp3s!  Smiley
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 26, 2015, 01:40:19 PM »

C-man, I hear where you're coming from, but the graphs don't lie!

Just because they can't notice the difference, won't stop some folk (myself included) stumping up extra cash for a difference they can see.

Heaps of stuff goes on that we don't notice, but doesn't mean it doesn't affect us.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #332 on: January 26, 2015, 04:03:20 PM »

Just because they can't notice the difference, won't stop some folk (myself included) stumping up extra cash for a difference they can see.

Heaps of stuff goes on that we don't notice, but doesn't mean it doesn't affect us.

Like all the subliminal, subsonic secret message stuff that hypnotized us into our Beach Boys addiction in the first place?  Smiley
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 26, 2015, 07:17:32 PM »

It's not always what the eye sees, but what the ears hear.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »

Like all the subliminal, subsonic secret message stuff that hypnotized us into our Beach Boys addiction in the first place?  Smiley

I wouldn't quite go that far. But if washing your hands a hundred times a day is a condition, what is shelling out for the Mono LP Christmas album, when you already own it on CD with bonus tracks, without bonus tracks, remastered, Ultimate Christmas, Christmas with The Beach Boys, Christmas Harmonies, because none of them were genuine mono BW mixes.??
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2015, 11:39:05 AM »

Last week I purchased KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER as 88.2kHz/24-bit AIFF files from prostudiomasters.com (a couple of bucks cheaper than HDTracks and PonoMusic).  I burned the files to DVD-Audio Linear PCM uncompressed, and I played them back on my Denon DVD-3910 universal player.  My 52-year old eardrums suffer from tinnitus, and I've lost pretty much everything above 14kHz, but I can definitely hear the difference.  Wider and deeper soundstage, more detail, and more realistic decay.  When "Christmas Eve" came on, I thought I was sitting in the middle of a live performance.

Definitely worth the 18 bucks.

Lee
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 10, 2015, 12:45:17 PM »

Last week I purchased KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER as 88.2kHz/24-bit AIFF files from prostudiomasters.com (a couple of bucks cheaper than HDTracks and PonoMusic).  I burned the files to DVD-Audio Linear PCM uncompressed, and I played them back on my Denon DVD-3910 universal player.  My 52-year old eardrums suffer from tinnitus, and I've lost pretty much everything above 14kHz, but I can definitely hear the difference.  Wider and deeper soundstage, more detail, and more realistic decay.  When "Christmas Eve" came on, I thought I was sitting in the middle of a live performance.

Definitely worth the 18 bucks.

Lee

If only someone would release this as a by-god-I-can-buy-this-CD, we'd have world peace.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2015, 02:45:14 PM »

So...any hopes on what the 1965 release will have? Would love to see the backing track and sessions of "Sandy." I know there's at least that early one floating around. I guess we'd get some Party! outtakes too.
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 10, 2015, 07:15:16 PM »

So...any hopes on what the 1965 release will have? Would love to see the backing track and sessions of "Sandy." I know there's at least that early one floating around. I guess we'd get some Party! outtakes too.

I hope songs that haven't been released yet from the 1965 Chicago concert with Brian are released in some capacity, especially Please Let Me Wonder from that show!!!!

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7325.0.html
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:22:45 PM by GoodVibrations33 » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #339 on: March 11, 2015, 07:19:51 AM »

Wondering if there even will be a 1965 release. The reason there wasn't a Beatles release is that apparently there's a loophole in the law in which the copyright holder can still claim ownership.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #340 on: April 25, 2015, 07:59:27 AM »

I finally got the '64 shows from the german amazon. Such a fantastic thing. Thanks Mark and Alan and everybody involved!

I'm always fascinated with the early live years. Imo they were a great live act and performed very well, the harmonies are outstanding. They could rock the roof off of a hall (iirc exactly that happened one time) with "Papa oom-mow-mow" and then turn around to sing sweet songs as "Surfer girl". And it's also interesting to note how much their sound suffered when Brian was not touring. Wish we'd have some recordings of the time Al and Dave played together in the band.

One question though: where do I get the artwork, liner notes etc.?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:02:33 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 27, 2015, 10:30:07 AM »

Artwork, liner notes, and full credits should be a part of all of these digital releases, imho.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #342 on: April 27, 2015, 11:18:25 AM »

If BRI and the band members and Capitol/Universal would get behind any sort of Dick's Picks/Elvis/FTD sort of archival release program, preferably with some short-run physical copies (and digital downloads in perpetuity), then we'd be far more likely to get liner notes.

Obviously, if it needed to go download-only, I'd be plenty happy with that. With or without liner notes.

I commend the team that did "Keep an Eye...."; it truly appears they pushed through as much as they could. It's a travesty that we only get this stuff through weird loophole arguments, kind of half-way having to trick the copyright holders into putting this stuff out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: April 27, 2015, 11:21:59 AM »

Artwork, liner notes, and full credits should be a part of all of these digital releases, imho.

I just took a look again but they are not in my download. I thought they might be available online somewhere....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 07, 2017, 12:52:23 AM »

Sorry to bump this thread but I was just listening to "Christmas Eve" (which I love) and I swear I can hear vocals around 2:24 - am I just hearing things?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx