gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 10:38:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS 1964 KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER (follow up to The Big Beat 1963)  (Read 94850 times)
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

46 tracks for $11.99? ok  Smiley

this is a beautiful thing.
Twice the price in Canada. What a rip-off

Make waves, not love
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »

Too true, as I said earlier in the thread, but at the same time, I think we probably agree that if this stuff was out on CD for, like, 30 pounds (just under 50 US dollars or just over 50 Canadian dollars), many of us would still stump up for it. Hell, to misquote Darth Vader, if we look into our hearts, many of us know it to be true that we've dropped more than that on CD bootlegs in the past - and they weren't mixed bespoke from the original tapes in a proper studio like this stuff is. And haven't many of us been saying for years that we'd pay for tracks like this from a putative Beach Boys Central, if they could only get their on-line act together? This isn't quite that - but it's close...

With this release, it's true that we don't get a disc or proper artwork, and that sucks. I also hate the lossy files. Verily, it also vacuumeth most efficaciously that the iTunes prices outside the US are so much higher than they are in the Beach Boys homeland. But on the other side of the scales... this release is under 25 Canadian Dollars, it's 14 quid in the UK, and it's *ridiculously* cheap in the States. And you pay this to hear vocal-only and partial track mixes that many of us have dreamt about hearing for years; and these presentations are professionally mixed, not on some inaudible, hissy bootleg captured at the wrong speed.

I'm no Capitol apologist. There's a lot that's annoying about this release, but it gets a pass from me overall because it sounds so damn good.

And, as I said upthread, would I pay again for more of these? You betcha. I mean - we *did* do that for years, with things like the Capitol Punishment CDs and then the SOTs-and they didn't sound as good as this stuff. And finally, although I almost hate to say it because I hate download-only albums so much... these iTunes downloads are *cheaper* than the CD boots used to be...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:05:02 PM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2014, 11:19:20 PM »

“The Beach Boys Live In Sacramento 1964” also released.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/beach-boys-live-in-sacramento/id942017956

That's been booted heaps but is this the first official release?

According to the sleeve notes on the UK iTunes site, this is lifted from the Sea of Tunes releases (less several tracks). Note also the stated release date of 1997.

That said, the timing are not the same as the SoT… and the copyright is credited to Capitol…

But I suspect an iBootleg.

Thanks to all for not calling me out on this!

I find the notes accompanying the UK iTunes version very misleading though:

Quote from: Bloody iTunes.uk
This is the first release on the strictly Beach Boys bootleg label Sea of Tunes -- a name originally given to Brian Wilson's early publishing company. Live In Sacramento, 1964 is the first of two volumes featuring raw performance tapes from which the legitimate Beach Boys Concert! would be ultimately be drawn. This disc features the Beach Boys afternoon performance in its entirety, plus a nearly 30 minute soundcheck. As is the case with every Sea of Tunes release, the sound is overwhelming. The sheer frenzy and mania that accompanied the Beach Boys stage performances in the early ‘60s has never sounded so manic. Underneath all the hype is the original self-contained quintet. On the whole, the performance is a bit sloppy -- hence the copious overdubs, which are available as bonus tracks on companion piece to this set Live In Sacramento, 1964, The Second Show. Judging by the coarse language and banter, the soundcheck on the second half of this disc is something that would not be released legitimately. Musically, the absence of wall-to-wall screaming allows the boys a fighting chance to pull off those amazing harmonies and early rock & roll riffs. They accomplish both with great aplomb, in and amongst the bickering and bawdiness of rock stars in their youth.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2014, 11:22:32 PM »

Too true, as I said earlier in the thread, but at the same time, I think we probably agree that if this stuff was out on CD for, like, 30 pounds (just under 50 US dollars or just over 50 Canadian dollars), many of us would still stump up for it. Hell, to misquote Darth Vader, if we look into our hearts, many of us know it to be true that we've dropped more than that on CD bootlegs in the past - and they weren't mixed bespoke from the original tapes in a proper studio like this stuff is. And haven't many of us been saying for years that we'd pay for tracks like this from a putative Beach Boys Central, if they could only get their on-line act together? This isn't quite that - but it's close...

With this release, it's true that we don't get a disc or proper artwork, and that sucks. I also hate the lossy files. Verily, it also vacuumeth most efficaciously that the iTunes prices outside the US are so much higher than they are in the Beach Boys homeland. But on the other side of the scales... this release is under 25 Canadian Dollars, it's 14 quid in the UK, and it's *ridiculously* cheap in the States. And you pay this to hear vocal-only and partial track mixes that many of us have dreamt about hearing for years; and these presentations are professionally mixed, not on some inaudible, hissy bootleg captured at the wrong speed.

I'm no Capitol apologist. There's a lot that's annoying about this release, but it gets a pass from me overall because it sounds so damn good.

And, as I said upthread, would I pay again for more of these? You betcha. I mean - we *did* do that for years, with things like the Capitol Punishment CDs and then the SOTs-and they didn't sound as good as this stuff. And finally, although I almost hate to say it because I hate download-only albums so much... these iTunes downloads are *cheaper* than the CD boots used to be...

But... it's the exact same product, with absolutely zero shipping costs. No reason whatsoever for the price to vary, allowing for currency exchange rates.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: December 03, 2014, 11:25:40 PM »

Don't panic:

http://www.thebeachboys.com/#go_page_2600

(Just to be safe, I copied the stuff into a LibreOffice document. Smiley  )

A good idea.

Unfortunately, those aren't the "good" parts of the notes (those are still MIA)...

Have no fear - a couple of minor errors in the sessionography need to be fixed - including the date discrepancy for the title track that AGD pointed out.

Ooh, ooh... do I get a teeny weeny credit in the revised version for being a nitpicking smart-arse ?  Grin

Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 03, 2014, 11:36:26 PM »

Don't panic:

http://www.thebeachboys.com/#go_page_2600

(Just to be safe, I copied the stuff into a LibreOffice document. Smiley  )

A good idea.

Unfortunately, those aren't the "good" parts of the notes (those are still MIA)...

Have no fear - a couple of minor errors in the sessionography need to be fixed - including the date discrepancy for the title track that AGD pointed out.

Ooh, ooh... do I get a teeny weeny credit in the revised version for being a nitpicking smart-arse ?  Grin

Keep An Eye On Summer, Revised Version, Take Two: We would like to thank Andrew G. Doe for being a nitpicking smart-arse.   Grin

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: December 03, 2014, 11:43:59 PM »

Works for me !  LOL

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 03, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »

But... it's the exact same product, with absolutely zero shipping costs. No reason whatsoever for the price to vary, allowing for currency exchange rates.

This pisses me off too. While I can't wait to hear the tracks, this is an indefensible pricing policy.  If this was physical product which had been imported from the US as a place of manufacturer, then fair enough, import/transportation costs apply. But we're pressing the same buttons the world over these days.

But first, the music (and a hole where my wallet use do be!) …

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »

So, as long as copyright laws stay the same, does this mean we'll get a new collection of unreleased recordings every year now?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2014, 12:02:13 AM »

This pisses me off too. While I can't wait to hear the tracks, this is an indefensible pricing policy.  If this was physical product which had been imported from the US as a place of manufacturer, then fair enough, import/transportation costs apply. But we're pressing the same buttons the world over these days.

Brilliant. After several days of nasty Mike vs Brian posts, they get side lined and we all agree that itunes and Capitol are the real pr!cks.

Its a beautiful world sometimes! Grin
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:03 AM »

Brilliant. After several days of nasty Mike vs Brian posts, they get side lined and we all agree that itunes and Capitol are the real pr!cks.

Its a beautiful world sometimes! Grin

I don't know whethe it's Capitol or iTunes … and wouldn't moan if there wasn't a price disparity. If everyone the world over had been asked for $20 or even $30 it wouldn't have occurred.

As for whether Mike or Brian are pricks, I stay away from that kinda thing now. I think they just have a thinner version of the management shield than other acts, and their human-ness shows through more… Grin

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2014, 12:29:34 AM »

It's undoubtedly Mike Love who set the prices to annoy anybody in the world except the U.S. citizens - this is America's band, they're entitled to get a discount! Grin

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2014, 01:59:45 AM »

Just to clarify, the releases themselves are stellar, no complaints there... but the price difference, and for a digital product, is insulting.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2014, 02:31:52 AM »

I'll assume the answers lie with Apple rather than Capitol, based on last year's news (and who knows what the inquiry found out):

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-22/apple-microsoft-grilled-over-high-prices/4587900

In the meantime, looking forward to these turning up on iTunes at some stage - keep the good news comin'!

Would be good to get one's hands on some high rez versions - Mark L tends towards 24 bit 88.2khz files - and I'd happily pay for flacs via HD tracks or similar over iTunes any day.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2014, 04:02:19 AM »

I really wish they released these on CD.

Indeed! There are still people who very much prefer something physical over a few files on a computer. Especially a band like The Beach Boys, that has gotten big in the age of physical records and has a relatively old (or at least somewhat old fashioned) fan base should understand that. Even if this album is not interesting enough to hit the stores, at least just sell the CD online. It's not like you're not going to sell enough copies to at least get your expenses covered... And since there were bootleg CD copies of The Big Beat all over the record fair in Utrecht last month, I'm pretty sure that this will get bootlegged too if no official CD will come out. So why not keep control (and profits) in your own hands?
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2014, 04:30:02 AM »

Just to clarify, the releases themselves are stellar, no complaints there... but the price difference, and for a digital product, is insulting.

Agreed 100%. I was just trying to make the point that although the releases are more expensive outside the US (and that's definitely wrong!), the cost is nevertheless way less than we often used to happily spend on CD boots at Record Fairs that sounded way worse.

Maybe it's a generational thing. I dropped cash, and quite a bit over the years at that, for the SOTs in their nicely produced long boxes, on silver CDs. I did so willingly and am glad I did - listening to each and every one was fascinating. In comparison, this feels like a good deal, notwithstanding the lack of a non-lossy, physical media-based version, which admittedly does drive me crazy.

Of course, if you became a fan since around 2000, when all of the classic Beach Boys boots could be found on-line as MP3s for nothing, then even 11.99 US dollars must seem like a total rip-off, let alone the prices that everyone else around the world is expected to pay to get this. I mean, from nothing to 11 US dollars 99, or 13 pounds 99, or 25 Canadian dollars — whichever way you look at it, it's a rise of *INFINITY* percent!!!!! (OK, OK, so I'm being silly there...).

Also, not to defend the price disparities — they are utterly *INdefensible* in this instance — but it continues a long and equally indefensible tradition of the US paying less for almost anything, while the rest of us get hosed. I know the argument about shipping costs for physical product and hardware goods, but come on. When I brought my most recent Apple Mac, I did so while on a business trip to California, because the damn thing was over a THIRD cheaper there than from Apple UK. The products are made in China, so there's shipping involved whether you ultimately buy from the States or Europe. And yet the products are still absurdly cheaper in the US.

Disparate iTunes download pricing has no leg to stand on, but neither does the cost of any download-based software, much of which is cheaper to buy in US dollars from US servers than it is to download the exact same code to a computer in the UK. Everyone's doing it. You just have to decide whether you object so much that you vote with your feet and refuse to buy whatever it is in protest. Sadly, in the case of this release, as soon as I saw the tracklisting, I knew I'd have to shill for it. Such is the nature of my love for this music...!

Finally, I would like a physical media version of these tracks too - I am of that era that bought and still prefers 'real' releases, which is why I own so few download-only albums. But I suspect the economics don't stack up, and this release is only happening at all because it's a download-only project. In other words, the line from Capitol is probably: accept it like this, or you won't get any more releases of this sort at all, and it will just be Sounds Of Summer-style releases until all of the remaining Beach Boys, and indeed all of us typing and reading here, are long gone...

It's not right, and it certainly isn't fair. But who said life was?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 04, 2014, 05:27:46 AM »

And since there were bootleg CD copies of The Big Beat all over the record fair in Utrecht last month....

Really? I didn't see one copy... and I checked pretty much every stall with BB CD's... Undecided    Did you buy them all ?   Grin 

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2014, 07:07:04 AM »

Buy one copy  of Big Beat 1963 2 weeks ago in Utrecht (surf city label)! that was the sole copy I have seen!
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2014, 07:55:01 AM »

Wait...the Sacramento release is just the exact Sea of Tunes bootleg release re-named?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:18 AM »

And since there were bootleg CD copies of The Big Beat all over the record fair in Utrecht last month....

Really? I didn't see one copy... and I checked pretty much every stall with BB CD's... Undecided    Did you buy them all ?   Grin 

Seen a few versions offered online… which must be MP3 versions, I suppose…

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2014, 08:14:40 AM »

Oh man. This is a great set. The acapella stuff is breathtaking!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2014, 10:28:16 AM »

Just did an extended A/B of the new concert release and the 1964 album, and before I revise 10452, thought I'd post my deductions here for your perusal and comments.

So, the sources are, to my ears:

Side 1              
Fun, Fun, Fun [1964, studio]
The Little Old Lady From Pasadena [1964 - see below]
Little Deuce Coupe  [1963]
Long Tall Texan [1963]
In My Room [1963]
Monster Mash  [1963]
Let's Go Trippin' [1964 2nd show]

Side 2:
Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow [1963]
The Wanderer [1964 2nd show]
Hawaii [1964 2nd show]
Graduation Day [1964 2nd show]
I Get Around* [1964, studio]
Johnny B. Goode [1963]

"LOLFP" is a poser - obviously it has to be a 1964 recording, but it doesn't exactly match either show, so either the band sweetened it, or it's a rehearsal recording.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2014, 10:31:24 AM »

What does the asterisk mean? Hopefully "They thought we're too dumb to notice that they just slipped the released record in."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

It mean "I forgot to delete it when I copied the track listing from the webpage".  Grin

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2014, 10:46:13 AM »

So, as long as copyright laws stay the same, does this mean we'll get a new collection of unreleased recordings every year now?
even if it doesn't they should release a internet release at LEAST once a year, just because the fans want it..
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx