gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:43:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS 1964 KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER (follow up to The Big Beat 1963)  (Read 94993 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2014, 01:51:46 PM »

Apple doesn't use MP3s; they're Apple's own compression scheme. Haven't gotten KAEOS yet, but at least their Beatles release last year was compressed and still sounded better than any boot I've ever heard.

You're right Dauber, but that wasn't the point. They're of course using AAC, 256kbps. My point is that any serious music fan would want some sort of lossless format.
At $0.26 per song, I can live with 256k AAC files. Considering human hearing, the lossy files keep all of what my 57 years old ears can hear. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »

Of course, I too want it lossless, but I'll take what I can get.

As for the question of artwork -- yup, there's artwork. Nothing exciting though....pretty generic. And as pointed out earlier, the picture used for the Sacramento shows was flopped, turning all the Beach Boys into southpaws and parting their hair on the wrong side! (AGD pointed this out really, really early this morning...asking if anybody could spot the "mistake"....too early for me to notice!)

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »

Mp3s... Where's the vinyl or CD? Or at the very least FLACs? I'm not sure they know what demographics they are selling this to.

They're not trying to sell it to anyone. It's a copyright extension scheme, pure and simple. Kudos to Mark and Alan for going above and beyond, but the corporate interests involved are simply interested in preserving intellectual property rights.

Yes, their primary motivation is to preserve intellectual property rights, but that being said, since they are releasing this material, they'd be idiots to not try to make some money off this deal.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2014, 02:37:15 PM »

Nice to see that eight of these tracks are sourced from the Beach Boys multi-track reels I had a hand in discovering back in 2008, and so cool that the fans will get to hear more of those session outtakes and awesome stereo versions. Also really stoked about C-Man's informative sessionography. Please use this to settle any arguments about who played on what.

For anyone who doesn't know the back story on the Shut Down Vol 2 tapes I sort of "found" back in 2009, here's a local article on the story... http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/3164/the-reel-deal/

Jon - Didn't there end up being a little more to the story as to how the tapes went missing?  Were any of the other reels located?

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »

Nice to see that eight of these tracks are sourced from the Beach Boys multi-track reels I had a hand in discovering back in 2008, and so cool that the fans will get to hear more of those session outtakes and awesome stereo versions. Also really stoked about C-Man's informative sessionography. Please use this to settle any arguments about who played on what.

For anyone who doesn't know the back story on the Shut Down Vol 2 tapes I sort of "found" back in 2009, here's a local article on the story... http://www.newtimesslo.com/cover/3164/the-reel-deal/

Jon - Didn't there end up being a little more to the story as to how the tapes went missing?  Were any of the other reels located?

I think, as Alan Boyd alludes to in the article, that back in '64 the Beach Boys might have discarded what were considered "work tapes" after they'd cut the master of each track and transferred it to a master reel. So the multi-tracks of the works in progress tracks weren't considered anything usable at that time, and therefore may have been discarded. But we'll never know, other than the guy (and his brother) that originally had them lived in the South Bay during the '60's, so proximity is key I guess. I heard a rumor about more tapes but can't confirm.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:00:08 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2014, 03:03:46 PM »

Apple doesn't use MP3s; they're Apple's own compression scheme. Haven't gotten KAEOS yet, but at least their Beatles release last year was compressed and still sounded better than any boot I've ever heard.

Would you please refresh my memory on the Beatles release last year? Are you talking about the BBC Sessions?   And what is "KAEOS"?

KAEOS = Keep An Eye On Summer. Smiley

The Beatles...well, the mention of the BBC stuff opens a small can of worms in terms of keeping track...

In 2013, the original Live at the BBC was re-mastered and re-issued (and for the most part, the crossfades between some unrelated tracks were taken out, thank God) on CD, vinyl, and iTunes, and a second volume was released concurrently. In fact, the two were also released as a reduced-price CD box set that of course I pounced on.

In December 2013, there was an iTunes-only release that was for copyright extension, called The Beatles Bootleg Collection 1963. (Man, that day was stressful - on the release day it first came out in Europe but in some countries it was taken down hours later, others minutes later, and even others seconds later -- fans were worried that they were only going to be up long enough to legally meet the new copyright extension law, but they came back online later in the day and are still there now.) The release consisted about 50% of studio recording sessions in absolutely stunning quality, and the other 50% was more BBC recordings in varying quality. (It actually had two instances of the same performance of "She Loves You," btw, apparently because the same performance aired on two different BBC shows, but nobody actually LISTENED to the recording and realized it was exactly the same!) I don't believe there were any liner notes for this release.

And what kills me, again, is that people were complaining about the $39.99 price -- including those who twenty years earlier paid between $50 and $60 for pretty much the same material in the "imports" section of their favorite indy record stores without complaining!

And of course, the Beach Boys/BW release last year was Big Beat 1963...which is seriously the most odd (in a good way) Beach Boys compilation I've ever seen!

Thanks a lot for the info, Sean!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2014, 03:11:11 PM »

Mp3s... Where's the vinyl or CD? Or at the very least FLACs? I'm not sure they know what demographics they are selling this to.

They're not trying to sell it to anyone. It's a copyright extension scheme, pure and simple. Kudos to Mark and Alan for going above and beyond, but the corporate interests involved are simply interested in preserving intellectual property rights.

Yes, their primary motivation is to preserve intellectual property rights, but that being said, since they are releasing this material, they'd be idiots to not try to make some money off this deal.

With stuff this obscure, releasing vinyl or CD copies would be a sure way to lose money, not make it.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »

For some reason the liner notes are gone from bb.com.

Did anyone copy the notes? They're Real Real  GONE...    Did the notes for # 15 identify Larry Denton and his current whereabouts?

Perhaps  Capitol/ the BBs are planning to sell the notes, so they removed them?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:31:35 PM by bgas » Logged

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2014, 04:23:10 PM »

Don't panic:

http://www.thebeachboys.com/#go_page_2600

(Just to be safe, I copied the stuff into a LibreOffice document. Smiley  )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:26:18 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
mjd180
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »

Don't panic:

(Just to be safe, I copied the stuff into a LibreOffice document. Smiley  )

A good idea.

Unfortunately, those aren't the "good" parts of the notes (those are still MIA)...
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2014, 05:20:34 PM »

Time to add Big Beat 1963, Keep an Eye on Summer 1964, and Sacramento Live 1964 to the Album Review section of this forum?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »

Don't panic:

(Just to be safe, I copied the stuff into a LibreOffice document. Smiley  )

A good idea.

Unfortunately, those aren't the "good" parts of the notes (those are still MIA)...

Have no fear - a couple of minor errors in the sessionography need to be fixed - including the date discrepancy for the title track that AGD pointed out.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »

was just looking at iTunes in Australia........ see you can download show 1 and 2 of 'BB's live in Sacramento'!....?

is this new or did I miss this release?...... quality sounds great....... and versions of songs I had not heard before....

32.00 dollars AU....... that is pretty rough, considering, no artwork or disc.......

any further info on this?

RickB
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2014, 06:30:52 PM »

With stuff this obscure, releasing vinyl or CD copies would be a sure way to lose money, not make it.

That's for sure.  I was suggesting that it would make no sense to expect that no money could be made from these digital releases, and that they definitely would like people to purchase this this material as digital downloads.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:46 PM »

Sorry if this has been mentioned in this or another thread but has the fact these releases have more to do with copyright protection been highlighted?

http://www.examiner.com/article/beach-boys-maybe-dylan-with-new-64-copyright-sets-but-how-about-the-beatles
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2014, 06:51:19 PM »

Uhh, yeah, about a page back . Smiley

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »

Arright, listening to bits and pieces of KAEOS....hand to God, I am absolutely serious, the "Denny's Drums" session highlights are absolutely revealing...I won't spoil it for those who haven't heard it yet, but wow...jaw is dropped. Not about the music itself, just how revealing this track is...all I'll say is it pretty much shoots down my theory that it was inspired by Adrian & The Sunsets' "Nothing But Drums."
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 07:51:40 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2014, 06:56:17 PM »

Uhh, yeah, about a page back . Smiley

Got it. So we are likely to see similar for ever and a day by many artists I guess?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2014, 07:38:29 PM »

OK, just downloaded the Sacramento digital album...I'm surprised at how much I'm LOVING it!!! None of the performances are unfamiliar to me, but the sound quality is just stunning....wow....

Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2014, 08:20:21 PM »

If this is on I Tunes is it on CD also

I had a fast Life
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 03, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »

If this is on I Tunes is it on CD also

No, you can only get this on iTunes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 08:25:56 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2014, 08:27:03 PM »

So where the hell did this thing come from?Huh  I wasn't expecting any new releases!  Quite nice.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »

So where the hell did this thing come from?Huh  I wasn't expecting any new releases!  Quite nice.

Copyright law in the UK means that if recordings aren't officially published, they lose copyright protection after 50 years. These releases give Capitol (and the group) 20 more years of rights to the recordings.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2014, 10:02:33 PM »

That's for sure.  I was suggesting that it would make no sense to expect that no money could be made from these digital releases, and that they definitely would like people to purchase this this material as digital downloads.

Of course you're right. I misread the tone of your message. This is absolutely the right strategy for Capitol -- a lot better than the chintzy Dylan limited edition releases.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

Once again, I'm thrilled to be able to buy this stuff. Backing tracks and a cappella are always worthwhile! Thanks again to those who made it happen! Can't wait to digest these.

Watch out for snakes!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx