gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:43:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS 1964 KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER (follow up to The Big Beat 1963)  (Read 94684 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »

Head Spin Banana Listening
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »

Egohanger, I'm pretty certain these are all fresh transfers. New stereo mixes for pretty much every track and everything sounds a thousand times better than SOT boots.

Well..................I dunno about that.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:29 AM »

Mp3s... Where's the vinyl or CD? Or at the very least FLACs? I'm not sure they know what demographics they are selling this to.

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2014, 10:31:10 AM »

Apple doesn't use MP3s; they're Apple's own compression scheme. Haven't gotten KAEOS yet, but at least their Beatles release last year was compressed and still sounded better than any boot I've ever heard.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2014, 10:35:06 AM »

I can't even download bliddy itunes!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »

Mp3s... Where's the vinyl or CD? Or at the very least FLACs? I'm not sure they know what demographics they are selling this to.

They're not trying to sell it to anyone. It's a copyright extension scheme, pure and simple. Kudos to Mark and Alan for going above and beyond, but the corporate interests involved are simply interested in preserving intellectual property rights.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:44:06 AM by Wirestone » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2014, 10:44:07 AM »

Yeah, Dylan fans only get it on vinyl -- and only 100 copies released.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
tansen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »

Apple doesn't use MP3s; they're Apple's own compression scheme. Haven't gotten KAEOS yet, but at least their Beatles release last year was compressed and still sounded better than any boot I've ever heard.

You're right Dauber, but that wasn't the point. They're of course using AAC, 256kbps. My point is that any serious music fan would want some sort of lossless format.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:09:16 AM by tansen » Logged

Tansen - "He Who Commands an Army of Notes"
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »

They're not trying to sell it to anyone. It's a copyright extension scheme, pure and simple. Kudos to Mark and Alan for going above and beyond, but the corporate interests involved are simply interested in preserving intellectual property rights.

Very true. Another tidbit of info that tells you how much Capitol wanted to invest in this project beyond the mixing/mastering stage is the fact that the "cover art" for all of these releases, while certainly harmless, kind of looks like a late 90's fan-made photoshop cover.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »

I broke my computer uninstalling iTunes so Im hesitsnt to mess with them again. Hope these show up on Amazon. ...
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2014, 12:13:14 PM »

Well I've done the download from itunes , and it missed/skipped download of 3 tracks - Christ it's like having bad sex  Roll Eyes
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »

Also interesting to note on UK ITunes that release date is ,

'Released: 01 January 2014
℗ 2014 Capitol Records, LLC'       
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2014, 12:21:24 PM »

Just have to repeat that besides the quality of the music/selection of tracks, the sound quality on this is amazing.  Just a straight, unadulterated presentation of what's there on the tapes.  Very similar to the SOT releases in that regard, though with even better SQ.

If they made a hundred more releases like this one I'd buy every single one.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »

My Sacramento Live Set seems to be missing a few tracks.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »

My Sacramento Live Set seems to be missing a few tracks.

Actually just realized iTunes held back those tracks and I had to pay an additional 1.49 each to get them.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2014, 12:28:26 PM »

So 37!ws is Dauber??  I didn't know that!  Hi Dauber!

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2014, 12:29:36 PM »

Well I've done the download from itunes , and it missed/skipped download of 3 tracks - Christ it's like having bad sex  Roll Eyes

Ah, jeez, bad sex really sucks!

job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2014, 12:35:54 PM »

Nah...sex is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »

Would you please refresh my memory on the Beatles release last year? Are you talking about the BBC Sessions?   And what is "KAEOS"?

Thanks. I've been outta the Beatles loop for a little while.

ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »

Loving the live tracks at the end of this... so how much an improvement is the live collection over the boot? Should I pull the trigger on that?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:04:43 PM by ontor pertawst » Logged
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »

For some reason the liner notes are gone from bb.com.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2014, 01:09:36 PM »

Nah...sex is like pizza: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

You've obviously never eaten at Little Ceasars.
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »

So true. Crazy Bread can f*** right off.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »

Would you please refresh my memory on the Beatles release last year? Are you talking about the BBC Sessions?   And what is "KAEOS"?

KAEOS = Keep An Eye On Summer. Smiley

The Beatles...well, the mention of the BBC stuff opens a small can of worms in terms of keeping track...

In 2013, the original Live at the BBC was re-mastered and re-issued (and for the most part, the crossfades between some unrelated tracks were taken out, thank God) on CD, vinyl, and iTunes, and a second volume was released concurrently. In fact, the two were also released as a reduced-price CD box set that of course I pounced on.

In December 2013, there was an iTunes-only release that was for copyright extension, called The Beatles Bootleg Collection 1963. (Man, that day was stressful - on the release day it first came out in Europe but in some countries it was taken down hours later, others minutes later, and even others seconds later -- fans were worried that they were only going to be up long enough to legally meet the new copyright extension law, but they came back online later in the day and are still there now.) The release consisted about 50% of studio recording sessions in absolutely stunning quality, and the other 50% was more BBC recordings in varying quality. (It actually had two instances of the same performance of "She Loves You," btw, apparently because the same performance aired on two different BBC shows, but nobody actually LISTENED to the recording and realized it was exactly the same!) I don't believe there were any liner notes for this release.

And what kills me, again, is that people were complaining about the $39.99 price -- including those who twenty years earlier paid between $50 and $60 for pretty much the same material in the "imports" section of their favorite indy record stores without complaining!

And of course, the Beach Boys/BW release last year was Big Beat 1963...which is seriously the most odd (in a good way) Beach Boys compilation I've ever seen!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:21:06 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »

Is there any album artwork for the new BB releases?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx