gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:21:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS 1964 KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER (follow up to The Big Beat 1963)  (Read 94827 times)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:59:25 PM by zatch » Logged
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 06, 2014, 12:08:47 AM »

I had no clue this came out - what a gift!  I had an issue with iTunes version 11, so I took the plunge, updated to version 12, downloaded all 46 tracks in about 3-4 minutes.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 06, 2014, 04:54:42 AM »

I'll wait until this comes to Amazon. And if it doesn't, I'll get it through other means.  Roll Eyes

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: December 06, 2014, 08:31:52 AM »

Why? I don't remember noticing that much of a difference going from 11 to 12. Don't know how it is on Windows though.

A lot of layout changes, for one thing (My household is all Mac, btw, save for a Windows/Linux dual boot box I keep under my desk for testing purposes and that I haven't even touched in over a year). Used to be that on the sidebar it would list videos, playlists, music, podcasts, etc. down the line; now it only allows you to look at one thing at a time.

And seriously, it took my wife and me over an hour of DuckDuckGoing and Googling to figure out how to "import" from one library to another. There used to be a clearly marked "Import" button. They eliminated the "Import" button and replaced it with a hidden drag'n'drop feature. And believe me, I'm a tech guy, and I DID RTFM, but TFM is for the OLDER iTunes; they didn't update the docs!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2014, 09:12:14 AM »

Talking about rip offs, I ordered the vinyl Christmas album with the original mono mixes from Amazon US because it wasn't on Amazon Germany. They include with that free mp3s of the album which they call "AutoRip". Unfortunately, you're only allowed to download them if you're a US resident using a US based credit card. So no mono Christmas album mp3s for me. I feel AutoRipped off. (Should there be someone on this board who thinks that's a cheat and doesn't dare to tell me that on the thread, that someone is free to PM me.)

Fortunately, I can plug the record player to the computer and make my own rip.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: December 06, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »

Legalities, pure and easy.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: December 06, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »

Hmm....okay, I know it's sacrilege to ask this, but...in the "Denny's Drums" session that's on KAEOS, is that indeed, indisputably 100% for sure Dennis on drums??? Doesn't sound like his style AT ALL. I'm convinced it's Dennis on the actual final album release (too many mistakes not to be!), but this just sounds too....jazzy, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:56:41 AM by 37!ws » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: December 06, 2014, 11:28:41 AM »

Just chiming in to say I'm frustrated as all hell because I'm another somewhat tech-savvy music guy who basically refuses to deal with iTunes based 99% on previous bad experiences trying to deal with it on a Windows computer. For those who were able to D/L this collection, that's great.

I'd just like to say for those "officially" reading this board: Make this available for download-purchase on other formats and platforms, anything from Amazon to whatever other online store, short of some hard-copy discs too (since some actually prefer that).

This is an organization that pressed freakin' novelty 78rpm discs a few years ago of material most if not all fans who would be the target buyers already had, yet the only format fans have to buy this is iTunes?

Look at the frustration from a handful of fans in this thread, and consider opening up some other media in order for these fans to actually buy it without dealing with what some of us either cannot access or refuse to deal with because of system compatibility issues.

Thank you. iTunes sucks.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 06, 2014, 11:33:33 AM »

Just chiming in to say I'm frustrated as all hell because I'm another somewhat tech-savvy music guy who basically refuses to deal with iTunes based 99% on previous bad experiences trying to deal with it on a Windows computer. For those who were able to D/L this collection, that's great.

I'd just like to say for those "officially" reading this board: Make this available for download-purchase on other formats and platforms, anything from Amazon to whatever other online store, short of some hard-copy discs too (since some actually prefer that).

This is an organization that pressed freakin' novelty 78rpm discs a few years ago of material most if not all fans who would be the target buyers already had, yet the only format fans have to buy this is iTunes?

Look at the frustration from a handful of fans in this thread, and consider opening up some other media in order for these fans to actually buy it without dealing with what some of us either cannot access or refuse to deal with because of system compatibility issues.

Thank you. iTunes sucks.

This.

Should be a petition.

“We live in divisive times.”
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 06, 2014, 12:23:45 PM »

Egohanger, I'm pretty certain these are all fresh transfers. New stereo mixes for pretty much every track and everything sounds a thousand times better than SOT boots.

Well..................I dunno about that.

OK, after listening to it this morning, I think you're bloody well right!  Maybe not a thousand times better, but in the general vicinity thereof.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 06, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

Fortunately, I can plug the record player to the computer and make my own rip.
Which will probably sound better anyway

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 06, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »

Egohanger, I'm pretty certain these are all fresh transfers. New stereo mixes for pretty much every track and everything sounds a thousand times better than SOT boots.

Well..................I dunno about that.

OK, after listening to it this morning, I think you're bloody well right!  Maybe not a thousand times better, but in the general vicinity thereof.

Perhaps I did over-exaggerate Grin but I'm still blown away by the quality of this new set! I'm glad everyone else is digging it too.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 06, 2014, 12:52:02 PM »

In The Parking Lot session. Dennis - "Murry's gone so that gives us a chance to screw around all we want, you know."   Grin
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 01:04:22 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #188 on: December 07, 2014, 01:33:39 AM »

Thank you. iTunes sucks.

Would've thought the BB audience demographic (older, grumpier males) was a more of a CD market than a download one. I managed to download it, though my PC is running slow and it took three sessions to get the lot (in the period the price went up - though I only paid the initial one) but there is no artwork
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: December 07, 2014, 02:33:46 AM »

Hmm....okay, I know it's sacrilege to ask this, but...in the "Denny's Drums" session that's on KAEOS, is that indeed, indisputably 100% for sure Dennis on drums??? Doesn't sound like his style AT ALL. I'm convinced it's Dennis on the actual final album release (too many mistakes not to be!), but this just sounds too....jazzy, I guess.

Ask Stebbins - he's heard the original multi tracks.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 07, 2014, 09:38:23 AM »

So these annual copyright releases are guaranteed to only include stuff that's been previously booted, correct? No point renewing a copyright for tapes nobody can get to.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: December 07, 2014, 10:20:01 AM »

No, not necessarily. The 1964 collection has some stuff that's never been booted.

BTW, this is basically a win-win situation: either they'll release stuff, or in the EU it'll fall into the public domain, making it easier to distribute, theoretically.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 07, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »

Ask Stebbins - he's heard the original multi tracks.  Smiley
From my recollection there is audio evidence on the session tapes that Dennis is playing multiple takes, and no evidence that he is not playing others. The arrangement is evolving as the session continues along. C-Man's session credits concur with what I heard, that it's Dennis throughout. I know he studied this session in a more thorough way than I did. Regarding "jazzy"...Dennis stated back in that time that he was a fan of Louis Bellson. Perhaps he copped some riffs. I can imitate Jimi Hendrix on the guitar for about 10 seconds.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 07, 2014, 02:43:19 PM »

Maybe I missed it but I went to the site from the link and could not find KAEOS.    Is it part of the release or not?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 07, 2014, 02:57:09 PM »

Yes it is. Everything but Brian's lead vocal on Keep An Eye On Summer. Sounds boss!

Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 07, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »

Holy sh*t... This makes me super excited for a 1965 comp.

A discipline daddy.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 07, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »

I'm not too familiar with the copyright law, so hopefully someone can answer this for me:  Will we be getting stuff like this every year (where there is material to be released) for the next 48 years or is there some kind of cut off date where the music is automatically extended to 70 years?
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 07, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »

I'm not too familiar with the copyright law, so hopefully someone can answer this for me:  Will we be getting stuff like this every year (where there is material to be released) for the next 48 years or is there some kind of cut off date where the music is automatically extended to 70 years?

Unless they change the law (and I'm assuming at some point, they will), these will be released every year into eternity.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »

Unless they change the law (and I'm assuming at some point, they will), these will be released every year into eternity.

But isn't it in the public domain no matter what after 70 years?  I thought these releases just gave the music a 20 year extension. 
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 07, 2014, 07:35:03 PM »

But isn't it in the public domain no matter what after 70 years?

Yes, unless they change the law (and I'm assuming they probably will).

I thought these releases just gave the music a 20 year extension. 

They do. That's another 20 years for companies like Capital to figure out how to make money off of this stuff.

What I meant is that every year, more music will reach that 50 year mark that will need to be released. In 2062, maybe they'll dump the TWGMTR sessions into our laps.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx