gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:23:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS 1964 KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER (follow up to The Big Beat 1963)  (Read 94283 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2014, 04:20:26 AM »

The liners (including revised sessionography) are back online, and available at the original link included at the top of this post.
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2014, 04:28:32 AM »

Question: If I pay someone in the US to get the tracks legally for me, what are the legalities involved in that?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2014, 05:11:18 AM »

Buy one copy  of Big Beat 1963 2 weeks ago in Utrecht (surf city label)! that was the sole copy I have seen!

I saw it on at least three different places (along with a 3 CD set of the 4th of July concerts).
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 05, 2014, 05:48:24 AM »

Question: If I pay someone in the US to get the tracks legally for me, what are the legalities involved in that?

You're Under Arrest!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2014, 05:53:32 AM »

Wooo ooo ooo!
 (But at three score and five Im very much alive and I still got the jive to survive with the heroes and villains)
Actually problem solved. The fortune of being married to a British citizen with a British credit Card and address!

And OMG this material is an awesome Revelation!!! The Fun Fun Fun sessions are amazing! Thanks to Mark and Alan and the Team for putting out a legal requirement with enough love and Devotion to make at least this Little Aussie sitting in Germany very happy!

And anyone who says the Beach Boys arent cool has obviously never listened to Shut Down vol. 2
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 06:08:00 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »

From my syndicated feed. . .

http://www.wmmr.com/music/news/story.aspx?ID=2167373
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2014, 06:47:25 AM »

As far as I understand it, it's a mess. If they download the tracks to their copy of iTunes (which of course is the only way to get these tracks), then even if you pay that Stateside person back, then legally speaking, they are the owners of the track, because the songs have gone into *their* iTunes. Even if that person then dumps the files out of iTunes, sends them to you, and deletes their copy of them, they remain the owner in law, and the files that have gone to you are - you guessed it - an illegal copy.

What's more, it will be noted digitally in the file whose iTunes downloaded them, and of course those details won't match you, so the 'illegality' of the copy will be obvious.

Of course, all of this will only ever be a problem if 'they' (ie. the powers that be) come looking on your computer. And that's pretty unlikely, unless you were one of the few high-profile cases that got busted by the RIAA for file sharing a few years back. Plus, in a non-legal sense, I think most people would agree that if the other person is just the conduit, and you have reimbursed them for buying the files off iTunes, then laymen (myself included) would say that morally, you ARE the owner.

But of course, the law doesn't see it like that. Meh! Another reason I wish everything was just on CD, as they don't come with this kind of bloody stupid legal nonsense attached. If your friend bought a CD in the States on your behalf, and you then paid them for it, they could just send it on to you, and bingo, it would be yours. Unfortunately, everything seems to be going this way. I'm sure all software manufacturers would prefer it if everything we bought in the whole world was done on a licensing basis, so that you never really buy anything outright, just purchase a licence to operate it, which cannot then be transparently transferred to anyone else...

EDIT: of course, if your other half has a credit card registered to a UK or US address, all the above problems melt away like snowflakes in July! And thank goodness for that, as they're nothing more than a load of irritating cack getting in the way of the pure enjoyment of this amazing music...
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2014, 06:54:10 AM »

Thanks for the clarification Matt. I am happy we (my wife is also a BB fan) got the stuff the correct way. It is an awesome release. Even my wife commented that these recordings have an energy that has sadly been lost with the technical advancement of studio recordings.

The next two years December Releases will be a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2014, 07:25:36 AM »

Glad you got the album, Mooger. The stupidness of the process of obtaining this music, is fortunately, wholly negated by the awesomeness of the music itself!

Further to the above, I have to add that I had my own irritations when buying the new release yesterday. Someone bought me a £15 iTunes gift voucher literally three years ago for my birthday which I've never used, as I dislike download-only music and would far rather have a CD for almost anything. I kept it because I thought that one day, there might be a download-only release that I wanted.

When the set was announced, I thought: "Finally! A really good use of that gift card!" I got quite excited that I could finally use it and get the new release effectively 'for free'.

The first problem came when I scraped off the backing to the gift voucher authorisation code. Half the code came off with the backing, and I found myself trying to work out what some of the letters and numbers were from the little shavings of the code-concealing backing plastic that had rolled up like woodlice after I'd rubbed them off and were now all over my floor.

Eventually, though, I got lucky after a few failed attempts, and got the voucher code correct. Hey presto, iTunes increased my credit balance to 15 quid. But then when I tried to buy the album, iTunes demanded to know my Apple ID. I've used the iTunes store so infrequently, I couldn't remember what it was. So then I had to go through that whole rigmarole of requesting a password reset, getting an email sent with a link to do that, and re-registering.

Once that was done, I hit 'Buy Album' and prepared for 46 tracks of Wilson goodness to make their way into my track library. But no - the card I registered to the iTunes store in 2010 (unsurprisingly) had expired, I was informed by a strident dialogue box. Why does this matter? I wondered, as I wasn't paying by card for this purchase. But no, I had to register a new card before I could do anything else. So I first had to go and find my credit card, come back and type in all the details. While I was doing this, more time-out dialogue boxes kept popping up on the screen. "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??". Why yes, I do. Boinnng. "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??" Yes. Type type, I went, frantically putting in credit card details. "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??" YES, I DO!!!

Finally, I was done. But again — no. "Our terms and conditions have changed since you last bought anything from the iTunes Store. You must read and agree to the terms and conditions below"... followed by screeds of legalese, several screens' worth, that I doubt ANYONE has ever read bar the lawyers that charged a fortune to draw up the text. And, of course, as I struggled to get past all of that, tick the box at the bottom and move on, there it was again: "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??"

YES, I FODAING DO!!!

In true Basil Fawlty style, I found myself wanting to give iTunes a damn good thrashing with most of a tree after all of that. Compared to the rather different experience of browsing through the racks in a CD shop, finding things I wanted by accident, whiling away a pleasant half an hour or so, and then going to the counter and paying in cash and walking away with lots of lovely shiny discs to play in less than a minute, it was, to put it bluntly, a load of sh*t.

(Just to redress the balance a bit, the good side was that once I'd finally jumped through all of the stupid hoops, banished the "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??" dialogue box for the final time, and pressed Buy Album, I had the tracks within two minutes. That, admittedly, was the good bit. I STILL wish it was on CD though...)

Clearly, I have now become a thoroughly grumpy old man. When I was a kid, people were old if they wouldn't give your ball back when it went over their fence, or if they couldn't programme a computer or set a VCR to record without exhibiting terminal confusion. I guess the new young/old divide is, "Thinks iTunes is Great/Thinks iTunes is poop"...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:43:20 AM by Matt Bielewicz » Logged
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2014, 08:53:37 AM »

Pretty miffed that these are exclusive to i-Tunes. I broke my computer uninstalling i-Tunes a couple years ago. I don't want to go through that again.

Probably my own fault.

Purchasing music via digital download isn't my cup of tea. In fact, last years "Big Beat" is the only time in my life I've every purchased a digital album (got it from Amazon).

Perhaps my resistance to Apple is a losing battle. I might as well sign up as these exclusive downloads will  likely continue for years to come (hopefully).

Pardon my useless rambling. I'm starting to twitch because there is new Beach Boys related product and it is not in my possession.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2014, 09:02:27 AM »

Glad you got the album, Mooger. The stupidness of the process of obtaining this music, is fortunately, wholly negated by the awesomeness of the music itself!

Further to the above, I have to add that I had my own irritations when buying the new release yesterday. Someone bought me a £15 iTunes gift voucher literally three years ago for my birthday which I've never used, as I dislike download-only music and would far rather have a CD for almost anything. I kept it because I thought that one day, there might be a download-only release that I wanted.

When the set was announced, I thought: "Finally! A really good use of that gift card!" I got quite excited that I could finally use it and get the new release effectively 'for free'.

The first problem came when I scraped off the backing to the gift voucher authorisation code. Half the code came off with the backing, and I found myself trying to work out what some of the letters and numbers were from the little shavings of the code-concealing backing plastic that had rolled up like woodlice after I'd rubbed them off and were now all over my floor.

Eventually, though, I got lucky after a few failed attempts, and got the voucher code correct. Hey presto, iTunes increased my credit balance to 15 quid. But then when I tried to buy the album, iTunes demanded to know my Apple ID. I've used the iTunes store so infrequently, I couldn't remember what it was. So then I had to go through that whole rigmarole of requesting a password reset, getting an email sent with a link to do that, and re-registering.

Once that was done, I hit 'Buy Album' and prepared for 46 tracks of Wilson goodness to make their way into my track library. But no - the card I registered to the iTunes store in 2010 (unsurprisingly) had expired, I was informed by a strident dialogue box. Why does this matter? I wondered, as I wasn't paying by card for this purchase. But no, I had to register a new card before I could do anything else. So I first had to go and find my credit card, come back and type in all the details. While I was doing this, more time-out dialogue boxes kept popping up on the screen. "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??". Why yes, I do. Boinnng. "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??" Yes. Type type, I went, frantically putting in credit card details. "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??" YES, I DO!!!

Finally, I was done. But again — no. "Our terms and conditions have changed since you last bought anything from the iTunes Store. You must read and agree to the terms and conditions below"... followed by screeds of legalese, several screens' worth, that I doubt ANYONE has ever read bar the lawyers that charged a fortune to draw up the text. And, of course, as I struggled to get past all of that, tick the box at the bottom and move on, there it was again: "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??"

YES, I FODAING DO!!!

In true Basil Fawlty style, I found myself wanting to give iTunes a damn good thrashing with most of a tree after all of that. Compared to the rather different experience of browsing through the racks in a CD shop, finding things I wanted by accident, whiling away a pleasant half an hour or so, and then going to the counter and paying in cash and walking away with lots of lovely shiny discs to play in less than a minute, it was, to put it bluntly, a load of sh*t.

(Just to redress the balance a bit, the good side was that once I'd finally jumped through all of the stupid hoops, banished the "Do you still wish to buy 'Keep An Eye On Summer'??" dialogue box for the final time, and pressed Buy Album, I had the tracks within two minutes. That, admittedly, was the good bit. I STILL wish it was on CD though...)

Clearly, I have now become a thoroughly grumpy old man. When I was a kid, people were old if they wouldn't give your ball back when it went over their fence, or if they couldn't programme a computer or set a VCR to record without exhibiting terminal confusion. I guess the new young/old divide is, "Thinks iTunes is Great/Thinks iTunes is poop"...

Matt I empathise… went through almost exactly the same process. Made worse because the login email address is different to the one they send the password reminder to. Over the years I've somehow ended up with two iTunes accounts and never know which "hat" I've got on. Macs are superb but the admin fools destroy the process

“We live in divisive times.”
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2014, 10:21:07 AM »

yeah I think the songs shouldn't just be on iTunes but also on Amazom mp3's as well as other mp3 sites, yeah just have the friend burn the songs to a data disc and send it to you or have him send it via email to you..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2014, 10:22:04 AM »

Finally got the damn thing downloaded... well, all except tracks 2 & 3.

Oh, no... no, belay that thought - the network connection timed out on "Parking Lot", and thus far it's taken ten minutes to download five tracks. What a complete fucking joke. Never, ever buying anything from iTunes again - it's been a customer experience from hell.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 10:24:44 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »

Finally got the damn thing downloaded... well, all except tracks 2 & 3.

Oh, no... no, belay that thought - the network connection timed out on "Parking Lot", and thus far it's taken ten minutes to download five tracks. What a complete fucking joke. Never, ever buying anything from iTunes again - it's been a customer experience from hell.

I'm just waiting until it makes the rounds, like waiting for The Brother Reissue tracks, cuz I don't have a clue on  itunes and with all of these horror stories, I'd never do it now!
But, what if it's the same proivider next year ? ( presuming there is a next year) 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »

"All those horror stories" -- how many are horror stories versus those of us who had zero problems?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2014, 10:50:52 AM »

"All those horror stories" -- how many are horror stories versus those of us who had zero problems?

I've never had a problem with iTunes.  If there is a problem, chances are it's you and not them.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 05, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »

Both KAEOS and live albums downloaded in about five minutes on my machine. No problems at all, nor have I ever had any difficulty with iTunes. I've used it consistently for the last decade at least, too.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »

This has been my first experience of buying from iTunes. I was told I couldn't buy it in the UK and redirected to the US site, where my UK id wasn't accepted, and I was re-redirected to the UK site... where I couldn't buy it. The download was interrupted and now it has finally turned up, two tracks just didn't show and two more were interrupted (again) and don't download, so currently I've got 42 of the 46 I've paid (through the nose, relatively speaking) for.

I have a very simple credo when it comes to retail: it's a one-shot deal. Good experience, I'll be back, bad experience and wild horses won't make me go there again. On a customer satisfaction level, I'd rate this slightly above having my appendix removed without anesthetic by Jack the Ripper in Mitre Square. Won't be going there again.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2014, 11:06:06 AM »

Both KAEOS and live albums downloaded in about five minutes on my machine. No problems at all, nor have I ever had any difficulty with iTunes. I've used it consistently for the last decade at least, too.
Same here. I had no issues whatsoever. Never have, not that I buy a lot from iTunes, but when I do there are never any issues.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 11:07:30 AM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2014, 11:14:55 AM »

This has been my first experience of buying from iTunes. I was told I couldn't buy it in the UK and redirected to the US site, where my UK id wasn't accepted, and I was re-redirected to the UK site... where I couldn't buy it. The download was interrupted and now it has finally turned up, two tracks just didn't show and two more were interrupted (again) and don't download, so currently I've got 42 of the 46 I've paid (through the nose, relatively speaking) for.

For the rest of your songs - in the iTunes store homepage, there should be a link on the right side of the page that says 'Purchased' - click that, then click on 'The Beach Boys', and you should be able to find your remaining songs and download them. Hopefully that solves it.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »

It's $25 in Canada on itunes...

Verily, like the UK price, this too bloweth.
199 SEK = US$26.32 is also on the blowing side. I mean, sure, for a physical album, but a download?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »

All these problems in the previous 10 posts are examples of things I've gone through with iTunes. Which is why I'd much rather wait and buy on Amazonmp3 if it will be sold on there eventually. I'd rather wait and save myself the frustration.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2014, 01:58:37 PM »

For the rest of your songs - in the iTunes store homepage, there should be a link on the right side of the page that says 'Purchased' - click that, then click on 'The Beach Boys', and you should be able to find your remaining songs and download them. Hopefully that solves it.

Nope, nothing like that. Mind, I've not updated iTunes since I installed it, oh, eight, nine years ago. I'm running 9.2.0.61, whatever that means.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2014, 02:53:36 PM »

If you need to upgrade your iTunes to get those missing tracks, then trust me: do NOT get iTunes 12. If this means you need to update, get 11 or earlier.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2014, 02:58:07 PM »

Nope, nothing like that. Mind, I've not updated iTunes since I installed it, oh, eight, nine years ago. I'm running 9.2.0.61, whatever that means.

Maybe your issue comes from having an outdated version of iTunes?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx