gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:29:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: THE BEACH BOYS 1964 KEEP AN EYE ON SUMMER (follow up to The Big Beat 1963)  (Read 94794 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »

So, as long as copyright laws stay the same, does this mean we'll get a new collection of unreleased recordings every year now?
even if it doesn't they should release a internet release at LEAST once a year, just because the fans want it..

Brother has had ample time to do some sort of fan-friendly archival program, and they haven't done it. They even apparently set up the website ("Beach Boys Central"), but for whatever reason (and with the BB's it's easy to think of dozens) that never happened.

These "Copyright Extension" releases are cool, but they still seem rather haphazard and not befitting the legacy of the band (either the Beach Boys or the Beatles) in terms of presentation. It's something they need to dump on the market, and the fringe benefit is the fans get some cool stuff.

I will say that it appears Boyd and company put in a lot more effort on the new '64 compilation than they would have had to. I'm sure they put in as much work as they were allowed to.

Here's a question those familiar with the "copyright protection" stuff at play maybe can answer for me: The idea put about last year was that the only thing they *have* to put out by the end of the year is anything that has already circulated. Anything that is already "out there" has to be put out officially in order to avoid having others take those old boots and putting them out as "public domain" releases.

But if that's the case, why did, for instance, the Beatles 1963 compilation still omit selections of the "circulating" 1963 session takes?

If Take 1 through 10 of a song has already circulated, and one of these "copyright protection" releases includes half of those takes, aren't the other half still then in the public domain?

Is there some law or rule at play we don't know about, like they just have to include one track from every tape reel or something?

Without checking, aren't there plenty of other 1964 Beach Boys session tapes from the SOT releases that *aren't* on this new release? Do those takes go into the public domain?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2014, 11:10:51 AM »

Biggest revelation so far - Al Jardine on lead falsetto on "All Dressed Up for School" in the choruses (the "ooh what a turn on" part)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2014, 11:23:33 AM »

I KNOW, RONDEMON!!!! Man, that blew my mind! For twenty-four years I knew there was something odd about it, but it wasn't obvious until last night!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »

The backing track to Fools is phenomenal. I actually like it now.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2014, 11:54:20 AM »

Ok these 2 1964 issues are great and the sound is perfect. But what has happened to all those Brian 's outside productions (Honeys, peterson, Usher....) and What i d say from Rarities?

Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 04, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »

Wait...the Sacramento release is just the exact Sea of Tunes bootleg release re-named?

No, it's a new mix.  The SOT boot release was a straight dump of the three track, new release sounds more like a two channel mix with better separation and clarity (and less screaming).
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: December 04, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »

Ok these 2 1964 issues are great and the sound is perfect. But what has happened to all those Brian 's outside productions (Honeys, peterson, Usher....) and What i d say from Rarities?

Simple - they've all been previously released, so the copyright isn't about to expire. Always remember, that's the basic reason these comps exist: copyright extension.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 04, 2014, 01:28:30 PM »

So only 29 years to go for the 1993 Unplugged Set? LOL
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 04, 2014, 01:35:45 PM »

I still can't link to the sessionography - is it still down?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 04, 2014, 01:41:22 PM »

Down.

Down down.

Down down comma comma down dooby doo down down.  Grin

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »

It's up, just relocated Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:21 PM »

Where?? I just checked and I can only find the two essays from Mark'n'Boyd.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »

That's OK, no, really... don't tell us where - we'll just GUESSAngry

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #138 on: December 04, 2014, 02:50:22 PM »

The whole thing is wonderful. Yeah, I'd rather have a CD version (or double CD, because that's what it would take), but this is something else. Just finished downloading and. as you can tell, I'm blown away. I'll get the Sacramento shows tomorrow! Where's the artwork, though? I don't normally do iTunes, but there was no artwork with it. Should there have been?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »

I know where I can find the old one - http://fridaynightboys300.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/the-beach-boys-1964-keep-eye-on-summer.html
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2014, 02:54:37 PM »

The whole thing is wonderful. Yeah, I'd rather have a CD version (or double CD, because that's what it would take), but this is something else. Just finished downloading and. as you can tell, I'm blown away. I'll get the Sacramento shows tomorrow! Where's the artwork, though? I don't normally do iTunes, but there was no artwork with it. Should there have been?

Yeah...should show up when it plays.

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2014, 02:56:13 PM »

You tell lies thinking I can't see.  You can't cry 'cause you're laughing at me!
It's down (it's really down) It's down  (down on the ground)
How can you laugh, when you know it's down?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 02:57:06 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jonathan Blum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2014, 03:12:41 PM »

So, while we're waiting for the liner notes...  I wonder if next year they're going to want to extend the copyright on Murry Wilson's finest hour in the "Help Me Rhonda" sessions?

Cheers,
Jon Blum
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2014, 03:39:16 PM »

Yeah, I saw that yesterday.  So there's a new one now or this one was just taken down?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »

Yeah, I saw that yesterday.  So there's a new one now or this one was just taken down?

Well, one thing's been changed...the description "the inestimably brilliant" has been mysteriously inserted before my name! Believe me folks, that was NOT my doing!  Smiley
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »

Uh huh. Sure. You expect us to believe that, Mr. C?  Wink

Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »

Just to clarify, the releases themselves are stellar, no complaints there... but the price difference, and for a digital product, is insulting.
Exactly. I have never seen such disparity on ITunes between US  and Canada on other releases whether BB or anyone else.
It's rip offs like that that drive people to torrents

Make waves, not love
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #147 on: December 04, 2014, 11:24:52 PM »

Yeah, I saw that yesterday.  So there's a new one now or this one was just taken down?

Well, one thing's been changed...the description "the inestimably brilliant" has been mysteriously inserted before my name! Believe me folks, that was NOT my doing!  Smiley

No. But it's true.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2014, 02:36:54 AM »

Now up on iTunes Australia.

$31.99   Brow

That's $27 US or 17 pound and ten.

While I want this stuff, think I'd rather pump my 31 gold pieces into an Acoustic Sounds slice of plastic.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:38:12 AM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Matt Bielewicz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 05, 2014, 03:34:13 AM »

Now up on iTunes Australia.

$31.99   Brow

That's $27 US or 17 pound and ten.

While I want this stuff, think I'd rather pump my 31 gold pieces into an Acoustic Sounds slice of plastic.

That really IS nuts! The craziest thing of all is: the price seems to be increasing the further you get geographically from the USA, as if there really were shipping costs from the States being added on for this material. And yet - it's just a load of electrons passing through wires and radio frequencies. For free.

I always pay for music - I know far too many hungry musicians too well, and just can't bring myself not to. But this kind of attitude WILL drive people to the dark side...
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx