gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 09:27:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian bgs on BABY BLUE  (Read 6782 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »

Another LA track that I forgot to mention after listening to this album again.

I'm hearing Carl and Dennis sharing the lead vocal on the baby Blue chorus.  The middle verse ("Late at night... when the whole world's sleeping...") is obviously Dennis.  But the background falsetto at the end of this section, ala Forever, is, again, is unmistakably Brian.  By the last section, falsetto is back to Bruce, I believe.  At least that's my take on it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 01:24:43 PM »

I always thought that middle verse falsetto was Carl.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »

Brian's not on this one. Nor is he vocally on "Good Timin'". He does play keys on "Good Timin'" though.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 01:25:08 PM »

I think you should start a new thread every time you have a new thought about the same subject.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 02:32:26 PM »

Carl is the falsetto on the vocal in question, not Brian.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »

I've always heard Brian singing that higher part from around 1:44 onwards ("Ooooh, ah ha"). Could be Carl, i guess, but sounds more like Brian to me. Though i have no evidence other than my own ears listening to this track.

Anyone have any proof either way?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 04:00:06 PM »

I've always heard Brian singing that higher part from around 1:44 onwards ("Ooooh, ah ha"). Could be Carl, i guess, but sounds more like Brian to me. Though i have no evidence other than my own ears listening to this track.

Probably c-man. He probably has had access to the tracking sheets.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »

There's a vocal part on Santa Ana Winds that I always thought was Brian until I was told it's actually Carl, which disappointed me. Funny, it's like we're trying to spot the Yeti, isn't it? "Look! It's Brian! On there!!!" We just want to have him on there, do we? Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »

Wasn't Brian in the hospital during the making of basically all of LA?

Good Timing was tracked, at least basic tracks, earlier than the official album sessions, right?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 09:30:58 PM »

Good Timing was tracked, at least basic tracks, earlier than the official album sessions, right?
The basic track was cut in the fall of '74 at Caribou with Brian (keyboard), Carl (guitar), Dennis (drums) and Jim Guercio (bass). Brian and Carl later overdubbed more keyboard and guitar most likely at Brother. A Carl lead vocal and Bruce harmony arrangement, plus Bruce keyboards were added in '78 to create the L.A. Light version. Thanks to C-Man and Jim Guercio for the info.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:33:17 PM »

There's a vocal part on Santa Ana Winds that I always thought was Brian until I was told it's actually Carl, which disappointed me. Funny, it's like we're trying to spot the Yeti, isn't it? "Look! It's Brian! On there!!!" We just want to have him on there, do we? Smiley

There is a vocal part - a whole one second - where I think it's Brian. At the 2:37 mark, it sounds like Brian singing "oh the". He may be buried in the harmonies somewhere, too. Who knows...

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »

The basic track was cut in the fall of '74 at Caribou with Brian (keyboard), Carl (guitar), Dennis (drums) and Jim Guercio (bass). Brian and Carl later overdubbed more keyboard and guitar most likely at Brother. A Carl lead vocal and Bruce harmony arrangement, plus Bruce keyboards were added in '78 to create the L.A. Light version. Thanks to C-Man and Jim Guercio for the info.

Thanks! ..... That album is one of my faves, so I love this kind of info.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »

There is a vocal part - a whole one second - where I think it's Brian. At the 2:37 mark, it sounds like Brian singing "oh the". He may be buried in the harmonies somewhere, too. Who knows...

Could be...

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:14 AM »

Probably c-man. He probably has had access to the tracking sheets.

Well, the tracking sheets for this one simply indicate BG vox (across two tracks), Bass vox (one track), Lead vox (across two tracks), and Carl middle section (low trio tag) (one track). The last of these I would take to indicate Carl's high voice in the bridge (and a trio - almost certainly Carl, Bruce and Dennis - in the tag). Alan Boyd and Adam Marsland have heard the isolated vocals, and report that it's Carl on the Brian-y falsetto.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 07:04:05 AM »

<<I think you should start a new thread every time you have a new thought about the same subject.>>

Fantastic idea.  I will!  Thanks for suggesting!
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:46 AM »

<<Well, the tracking sheets for this one simply indicate BG vox (across two tracks), Bass vox (one track), Lead vox (across two tracks), and Carl middle section (low trio tag) (one track). The last of these I would take to indicate Carl's high voice in the bridge (and a trio - almost certainly Carl, Bruce and Dennis - in the tag). Alan Boyd and Adam Marsland have heard the isolated vocals, and report that it's Carl on the Brian-y falsetto.>>

I would trust Alan and Mark's ears more than my own.  Thanks for the detail, c-man.  Solves a 34 year old mystery for me, albeit a tad bit OCD on my part.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 08:26:38 AM »

Carl and Dennis did some incredible work together at the time - Baby Blue, It's Not Too Late, Angel Come Home... all magnificent stuff!
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »

No.  I was there.  He wasn't in the hospital the whole time.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »

To c-man, or anybody that could figure it out. I think this may have been answered before....but where exactly is Brian on L.A. (Light Album)? Here's what I have...

"Good Timin'": Piano? Harpsichord?
"Angel Come Home": Background vocals?
"Shortenin' Bread": Piano? Moog?

Is that correct?

Any anecdotes about Brian during this era? How involved do you feel he was with L.A.? I do remember him saying it some point, maybe the late '80s, saying that L.A. was a big album for them, I guess because it was their first for CBS or whatever. So even if he wasn't on it much, I'm sure he was still emotionally invested a bit.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 09:16:46 AM »

"Not the whole time" - how much is that in percent?

Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2014, 09:28:44 AM »

Seriously? 48.7%  I calculated it to the minute.  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.  I'm really not one of the historians who is into the minutiae...I just remember there were sessions when he wasn't in the hospital.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 09:48:34 AM »

To c-man, or anybody that could figure it out. I think this may have been answered before....but where exactly is Brian on L.A. (Light Album)? Here's what I have...

Is that correct?

Any anecdotes about Brian during this era? How involved do you feel he was with L.A.? I do remember him saying it some point, maybe the late '80s, saying that L.A. was a big album for them, I guess because it was their first for CBS or whatever. So even if he wasn't on it much, I'm sure he was still emotionally invested a bit.

I'd really have to leave it to Brian to say how invested he was emotionally in that album...so sorry.  I'm not trying to be snotty.  I just would be way out of line to speak for him about that.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 09:56:31 AM »

Seriously? 48.7%  I calculated it to the minute. 

Half-seriously Roll Eyes - like expecting a figure like "about one third" or "circa 80 percent of the time", but being aware of the wording of the question being a bit absurd. Smiley

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »

Is that correct?

I think that's pretty much it.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2014, 11:14:51 AM »

Seriously? 48.7%  I calculated it to the minute. 

No problem Micha.  I just get like that sometimes...

Half-seriously Roll Eyes - like expecting a figure like "about one third" or "circa 80 percent of the time", but being aware of the wording of the question being a bit absurd. Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx