gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 03:39:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys darkest songs  (Read 12749 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 01:22:23 AM »

I still have to ponder what my own entries will be. Most often it is best for me to let such a question just do its work in the back of my mind (sic) for a while.

But this is a great thread. The Beach Boys are, in the perception of the public at large, a band that was and is about fun, the sea, the sun, in general: good, upbeat times. Scanning this very thread teaches one otherwise, very convincingly so. The Boys also touched on the dark side of life, the recesses of the human mind, the bad times, the sadness, depression, what have you.

I dare say: they dared more than many loud, narcissistic, expressly and self-consciously 'disturbing', and quasi-experimental groups tried to express. Directionless anger and arty melancholia: not for me, it's all posing in the end.

The Boys achieved so much more, for those who really listen, and keep up with the lyrics.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 02:46:33 AM »

"My Diane" is pretty grim.

Of the ones mentioned I like "Wind Chimes" from SMILEY SMILE in the sense that it is REALLY disturbing.  It might not have the darkest subject matter, but it has menacing and psychotic feel to it...and the cheerful little cadence that leads into the outro does nothing to leaven the mood, in fact it just makes it all creepier.  I'd actually vote for SMILEY SMILE as darkest album overall, odd considering its humorous intent (though I wouldn't argue with HOLLAND, though I would argue that part of the darkness is its murky production style).  But there are so many jarring WTF moments on SMILEY SMILE.  Is it the weirdest full-length album ever made by a major band at the height of their careers?  Is their a parallel elsewhere?  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:47:52 AM by adamghost » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 02:50:18 AM »

Of the ones mentioned I like "Wind Chimes" from SMILEY SMILE in the sense that it is REALLY disturbing.  It might not have the darkest subject matter, but it has menacing and psychotic feel to it...and the cheerful little cadence that leads into the outro does nothing to leaven the mood, in fact it just makes it all creepier.  I'd actually vote for SMILEY SMILE as darkest album overall, odd considering its humorous intent (though I wouldn't argue with HOLLAND, though I would argue that part of the darkness is its murky production style).  But there are so many jarring WTF moments on SMILEY SMILE.  Is it the weirdest full-length album ever made by a major band at the height of their careers?  Is their a parallel elsewhere?  

There isn't, IMHO. Smiley Smile is only 'humorous' on the surface. I always thought there are so many hidden (childhood) fears in that album. 'Fall Breaks' says it all, without words. It's a bit like watching cartoons on TV whilst being depressed because of a heavy case of the flu.

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 03:18:44 AM »

'Thats Not Me' has always resonated quite deeply with me. It's such a lonely song, especially the guitar riff. I feel very alone when I listen to it, and I can't help but look to the rest of my life with a bit of fear, that I might go through the same thing.
Take Good Care Of Your Feet also depresses me, but for other reasons  Tongue

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 09:51:54 AM »

Don't Go Near the Water

the Heroes/Bicycle Rider theme is kinda spooky too
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:46:26 AM by bossaroo » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »

Also, SMiLE 67's 'Fire' is a lot darker than 2004's. Especially with the cackling fire burning along in the background.

Could you explain that a little more? Because I always feel that the new one is actually the scarier one. It has more ... uhm ... power, you know? To me, the old one sounds like you are watching a burning house from the other side of the street. With the new one, you are IN the house.
Could it be that the myths surrounding the original version make it seem darker?

I agree with the power statement, but that's partly down to the mixing on the album. The original "Fire" has so much mood to it, It sounds more demented and wild that the more powerful 2004 version. I don't let the myth surrounding the song get to me much; It's all just the paranoia of a crack-pot artist. Going to the recording studio to record Fire is no different than booking time to go record Surfer Girl in a way. There's one mono mix floating around of the song with the burning fire included -- and it's one dark piece. It mumbles along steadily like it's in a trance, the odd bass lines, the unusual organ voicings, the rising and falling strings, etc. IMO it was captured better in 67'.

The 66 Fire has some unusual and disturbing string lines that were removed for the BWPS version, in part to make it less "scary" - at least I recall a comment along those lines from Brian at the time.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »

That album (and that is one great song example) endlessly fascinates me. You're right there's a lot of WTF moments on Smiley Smile, and that's what fascinates me. The only explanation given for how Smiley sounds the way it does is they smoked a lot of pot and/or hashish. I think even Brian explained it on that 1974 interview posted in another thread. It's still very weird how the album came out though, and you would think it would be funnier than how it came out. So many creepy or disturbing moments (like that interlude of Wonderful.. just what in the f*** are they doing??), you wonder why it came out that way.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:28:14 AM by jcjh20 » Logged
celticsurfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »

I just wasn t made for these times (the real life of Brian) , 4th of july  (great lyrics mixing bombs and children..... and incredible music) and Carry me home (should have been on MIC).
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »

Don't Worry Baby: the deeper underlying meaning: A guy scared shitless about life, needing someone close to him to tell him it'll be alright. I guess in the context of Brian's life, it's sad that he was thinking this way when he was that young.
When I Grow Up (To Be A Man): "Won't last forever...it's kinda sad." It's Brian realizing that the drive-ins, malt shops, makeout sessions in the back of the T-bird will all disappear once he grows up.
Where Is She?: "Where can she be if she's not here with me?"
Pacific Coast Highway: "My life, I'm better off alone, my life, I'm better on my own." always thought those were some of The Beach Boys saddest lyrics.
Summer's Gone: pure nostalgic melancholy

"We laugh, we cry
We live then die
And dream about our yesterday
"

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 12:25:09 PM »

The full Swedish Frog section is pretty freaky sounding, especially when played with the lights out...
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »

"Lonely Sea."
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »

The full Swedish Frog section is pretty freaky sounding, especially when played with the lights out...

Swedish frogs are not freaky. Sad
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:43:09 PM by Swedish Frog » Logged

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
frightfulhog
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 03:00:55 PM »

the smiley version of "wind chimes" is definitely the most disturbing, but "wonderful" somehow seems to come from somewhere even darker. the incongruity of the interlude is part of it, but the background voices (children?) in the verses, carl's whispering vocals, and even the faint out-of-tune melodica-like thing really creep me out.

there's also something indescribably "off" about "i went to sleep." i guess that's part of why i like bw's 1967-1969 songwriting so much - even the most seemingly straightforward stuff he wrote from that period is subtly dark.

Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »

It's Over Now

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »

With Me Tonight on Smiley Smile is pretty dark too.. especially the part towards the end where the Baldwin organ gets louder and louder and drowns out the vocals.. There's definitely something strange going on on pretty much every song on Smiley.
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 05:25:37 PM »

Swedish frogs are not freaky. Sad

you ARE.

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »

The first one that came to mind for me (and yes, I see it was mentioned a page ago) was "Let the Wind Blow".  Such a haunting song, with it's desperate plea of 'don't take her out of my life'.  It makes me sad....in a good way.  Great song!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 07:19:44 PM »

It's Over Now

That is probably the darkest song in the whole BW catalog, Peter. Nice one! Don't forget "Still I Dream Of It" while we're at it.
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 08:05:47 PM »

No one has mentioned Morning Christmas yet. There is no other Beach Boys song that makes me as melancholy as that one. Particularly the last half.

Good call.

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »

Can't forget "Oh Lord" too.. It's not a Beach Boys song, or anything near releasable, but it's pretty damn dark.

Also the version of "This Isn't Love" on the same boot has a dark, very sad sound..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 08:09:51 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2014, 08:21:35 PM »

Can't forget "Oh Lord" too.. It's not a Beach Boys song, or anything near releasable, but it's pretty damn dark.

Good call! Probably the darkest/saddest BB related recording I've ever heard.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »

It's Over Now

That is probably the darkest song in the whole BW catalog, Peter. Nice one! Don't forget "Still I Dream Of It" while we're at it.

It's Over Now there darkest song - really?? I'd say there's darker moments than this over-produced, over-rated schmaltz.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2014, 01:57:42 AM »

No one has mentioned Morning Christmas yet. There is no other Beach Boys song that makes me as melancholy as that one. Particularly the last half.

Good call.

Count me in. 'Morning Christmas' somehow sounds hungover-ish to me, but in the sense that one has just had two or three drinks to loosen up a bit... the world has slowed down... one's perception isn't quite right, but it doesn't feel all too bad... but some dark feeling of foreboding is definitely there, as if one perceives the future as not bright at all...

(my comment has nothing to do with Dennis' life, or habits, it's precisely what I feel with this song)

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2014, 06:09:54 AM »

Good call! Probably the darkest/saddest BB related recording I've ever heard.
That song made me cry....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 01:40:01 AM »

Everything on side two of Surf's Up!----dark as in nocturnal, deep and/or dense but not depressing.

As for consistently nocturnal-sounding albums, Smiley Smile comes the closest.

While on the subject, it feels to me as if Surfin' U.S.A. begins in broad daylight and ends in darkness. No idea why...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx