gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 09:15:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al as a guitarist.  (Read 7227 times)
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2006, 12:58:48 PM »

Al Jardine has always been known as the rythm guitarist with The Beach Boys  and he also played bass on some recording sessions but I don't think it has been really publicised what his capabilities are as a guitarist. Can he play lead guitar but just left it to Carl who was the official lead guitarist.
Be interesting to know.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »

I think Al is at his best playing bass.  I think he's a solid if unspectacular guitarist.  If you listen to session tape where he's involved, he's very rarely called out for making a mistake, particularly when on bass.  But if you listen to something like the Dance, Dance, Dance session, for the released version, he's always right on, playing that riff including the key change with no problem.  Now, I'm not saying that riff is particularly difficult, but Al was getting it better than Glen Campbell at one point.

I think Al is one of those guys who considers himself a good rhythm guitarist and is happy with that.  Like John Lennon or something. 
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:21:38 PM »

I think Al is one of those guys who considers himself a good rhythm guitarist and is happy with that.  Like John Lennon or something. 

Difference being that John probably said that to down-play his ego, where I'm sure Al truly is and was in comfort being only a part of the performance and not the part.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 01:38:52 PM »

Al is an excellent lead guitarist as well, I saw a show with his more recent band where he played all of Carl's solos and he smoked!  Plus, he always sounds really good, he usually plays his white Strat through a Twin Reverb.

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 03:10:03 PM »

I'm sure I'll get torched for this by some of you...but Al is the third or fourth best of the BB's guitarists. He's certainly competent, probably much better than me, but BB's guitarists, in terms of pure playing skill, should be ranked this way.

1)David Marks...oh yeah...no joke
2)Carl Wilson
3)Al Jardine

I have so much expert testimony among musicians to this effect... it will certainly surprise and challenge any doubters...but you have to read the Dave Marks book. Coming in August. Unfortunately David got to show very little of his skills while with the BB's...so you might not count his best work as "BB's guitar"...and I'd be cool with that...just don't tell me he wasn't a better player than Carl...it wasn't even close.

and Blondie would slide in higher than Al if we counted him. Glen Campbell might rank number one if he were a Beach Boy...but he wasn't.

That said...Al is a real solid musician. He did play some nice guitar and bass on the BB's records. I gladly count myself among the minority in this world who believe all the BB's were good musicians and played a lot of great parts on their records... which they get little credit for because of the overblown Wrecking Crew myth.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 03:14:02 PM »

What might be the most technically challenging song for a guitar player to play from the Beach Boys?

Besides from a few of the leads, and some of the odd voicings that Brian used in his more complex songs, I don't think it takes a virtuoso to play Beach Boys songs well.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 03:17:50 PM »

I believe that Dave is the best.  How much of that do you suppose could be chalked up to Carl and Al thinking of themselves as "singers first"?  I mean, Dave always considered himself a guitarist, right?  And I think I've brought this up before, but I really wonder if Al or Carl think of themselves as guitarists or singers.  I mean, I play guitar, bass, piano, trumpet, drums, and also sing at a pretty passable level, but at gunpoint I'd call myself a bass player.  I wonder what Al would say he is if he had to narrow it down to one thing.  My bet is on "singer".

How do you think the various Beach Boys rank as bassists, Jon?

I don't think it takes a virtuoso to play Beach Boys songs well.

That's why god invented jazz fusion.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 03:40:27 PM »

Are we talking about David later on or during his time with the Beach Boys? I seem to remember reading (probably a myth) that David couldn't hardly play when he was with them.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 05:59:26 PM »

LOL

I don't think it's a good idea to equate difficult parts with good music. The Beach Boys were good enough to play a lot of the material they had to do, and they hired other people for the rest. No harm there. The point, after all, is getting the music made. I think competence is just fine for most rock bands, and once you toss in al these guys' voices, it doesn't much matter if they could do 32nd note sweeping arpeggios or solo in super locrian, does it!?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 07:44:01 PM »

I believe that Dave is the best.  How much of that do you suppose could be chalked up to Carl and Al thinking of themselves as "singers first"?  I mean, Dave always considered himself a guitarist, right?  And I think I've brought this up before, but I really wonder if Al or Carl think of themselves as guitarists or singers.  I mean, I play guitar, bass, piano, trumpet, drums, and also sing at a pretty passable level, but at gunpoint I'd call myself a bass player.  I wonder what Al would say he is if he had to narrow it down to one thing.  My bet is on "singer".

How do you think the various Beach Boys rank as bassists, Jon?

Al definitely thinks of himself as a singer first...no doubt. I complimented him recently on his excellent bass playing...on Dance Dance Dance by the way...and he just wouldn't take the compliment...he said "oh its only four strings". But yeah he's a singer...in fact its hard to get him to focus that the BB's were more than just singers...and in talking about David he really did give him credit for influencing the BB's into a more electric direction.

Carl on the other hand thought of himself as a guitarist first...until '65. He and David were dedicated guitarists and Brian had to prod Carl to sing...hard to believe. Carl had such a unique gift as a vocalist...but it wasn't his desire...he wanted to be a combination of Dick Dale and Chuck Berry.

And to Phileas...Dave was barred from playing lead on the BB's recordings by Murry who only wanted Carl doing that. But Dave did play some tasty rhythm parts and if you ask people like Jeff Foskett they will point out how essential that funky rhtyhm sound was to the BB's energy and early appeal...now its thought of as something basic but at the time there wasn't really a band that had that distinct combination of surf  texture and in the pocket Chuck Berry feel in their guitars...Dave was a big part of that. But later he became a prolific lead player with jazz and classical chops to boot. Listen to the Moon's LP's on Imperial or Colours second LP on Dot..from '67 to '69....the lead guitar is all Dave Marks and much of it is brilliant. Dave also played on sessions for a lot of people including the Sunrays. A great trivia question is who did Eric Clapton replace in 69/70 as Delaney and Bonnie and Friends lead guitarist? David Marks is the answer.

Bass players? Brian and Al were the core until Carole Kaye and Ray Pohlman and others took the work. I love the idea of six BB's... with Brian on keyboards, Al on bass, and Carl and Dave on guitars...and that's basically what the BB's were on the Surfer Girl LP.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:16:45 PM »

What might be the most technically challenging song for a guitar player to play from the Beach Boys?

Maybe it's just my ineptitude (even though I think I'm a pretty decent guitarist), but to me, "Warmth of the Sun" is a BITCH to play.  Some of them chords changes are killer, and to pick the correct arpeggios (meaning not picking the same string patterns from chord-to-chord) is a whore.

Craig
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 09:19:23 PM »

Maybe it's just my ineptitude (even though I think I'm a pretty decent guitarist), but to me, "Warmth of the Sun" is a BITCH to play.  Some of them chords changes are killer, and to pick the correct arpeggios (meaning not picking the same string patterns from chord-to-chord) is a whore.

Craig

Which reminds me...Carl, on his final tour, playing that difficult guitar part WHILE singing the lead WHILE battling cancer...God, what a trouper!  A truly dedicated musician!

Craig
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 09:20:26 PM »

Craig

So the song is a bitch AND a whore?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 09:25:13 PM »

Craig

So the song is a bitch AND a whore?

Pretty much.  BTW, I'd never speak of a woman that way...only a song...and a song I respect no less!
Smiley

Craig
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 09:26:32 PM »

Grin The biggest whore to play is This Whole World. Seriously. Try it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 09:44:21 PM »

The This Whole World lead guitar is quite a part, as I mentioned in the thread about TWW.  David Cohen has my utmost respect.  Jerry Cole, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 02:13:50 AM »

A few thoughts:

Regarding Al's guitar skills, for a long time I assumed he was a solid rhythm guitarist and never intended or wanted to be a flashy lead guitarist. I still believe this is true, but last year when I saw Al perform (at a charity show with Stevie Heger's band), it really blew my mind that Al was actually playing some of the lead parts on stuff like "Sail on Sailor", "409", and "Fun Fun Fun", and he sounded pretty good! I had always heard people say Al sometimes didn't even turn his guitar up or didn't have it mixed up during some songs at BB shows, and maybe that was true, but at this show I was able to not only hear his leads, but his impressive rhythm guitar playing ability. Certainly he's not a virtuoso, but he's a much better guitarist than I had previously believed.

I remember reading an interview once where Eric Clapton said that George Harrison could have been as great of a gutiarist as Clapton or Hendrix or any other hot shots if Harrison had really wanted to. While some may believe this is somewhat of a stretch, I do believe that people that are so inherently talented and musical in any different number of ways, be it Harrison or Al Jardine, have the inherent ability to become much better at a number of musical pursuits if they ever care to. Harrison wasn't interested in being better than Clapton, and certainly Al Jardine was never concerned about even being the best guitarist in the Beach Boys, let alone be compared to anybody else. But I think someone like Al Jardine has the inherent musical gift that means he could have been a more impressive guitarist if he had wanted to.

Regarding David Marks, I'll wait until Jon Stebbins' book before I even begin to pick apart Marks' input on actual BB recordings, because I'm sure there is a lot of new information to clear up about that. But my sense about Marks has always been that he may be a great guitarist, but even in his latter-day stint with the touring BB's, he never got much of a chance to show this. I've seen the video of the show Marks did with the then in-limbo "Beach Boys" in May 1998 (the show where Al is gone, but Matt Jardine is still there), and it seems like apart from a few solo spots doing the solo bits Carl had used to in concert, Marks wasn't doing much in the show. I don't think it had anything to do with his ability. Maybe it had more to do with having another "official" Beach Boy to add to the band. I believe David Marks alluded to this in inteviews a few years ago. But this is probably another area than Jon's upcoming book will get into, which is a part of the story I'm particularly interested in reading.

Regarding difficulty of playing Beach Boys songs on guitar, I think a lot of their stuff is rather difficult. One reason for this is that many of the songs seem to be in a non-guitar-player-friendly key (not surprising considering the liklihood that Brian wrote most of the stuff on piano). If you want to play some of their stuff in the original key, you can't get away with only knowing all the easy open chords. I remember when I first started to learn guitar, I got a hold of a BB music book, and even on seemingly simpler songs without a ton of different chords, it was difficult to play some of the stuff because it wasn't in an easy key like A major or something. And in addition, there are songs like "This Whole World" that would be difficult in any key, with like 57 different chords. I recall that in that "hotel room" video that's been around for years from 1990 with Brian, Bruce, Stamos, and Foskett, Bruce mentions to Brian that the touring BB's can't regularly perform "This Whole World" because there are too many chords. (The touring BB's performed the song on some of the 1988 tour and performed it pretty well, if lacking some of the nuance of the original recording.)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 06:08:50 AM »

Glen Campbell was not a Beach Boy ? I thought  he was...

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 06:17:32 AM »

In the same sense that Hal Blaine was a Beach Boy, I guess.

I'm an amateur guitar player (really not very good at all) and when I first got some BB's chord books, I was pretty pissed that basically I couldn't play any of it, lol.  The only song I ever got down half way competently was "Don't Worry Baby", like someone said above, Brian wrote most of them on piano so they don't easily translate to a guitar's hillbilly chords. 
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 06:19:59 AM »

One diff -- Hal Blaine never toured with the BB nor turned down an offer to become a permanent member (the same offer Bruce eventually took).  Now would THAT have changed history had he accepted.
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 07:21:55 AM »

Al is an eccellent rythm player just look at some DVD/video close ups. One in particular 'The Lost Concert', just watch his fingerings playing the less commonly used chords and in difficult keys for guitar without a capo,(only guitar players know what I mean), hardly any BB songs are simple 3 chord 12 bar.
As for his amp turned down  it is noticed on the 'Beach Boys Concert' album when Mike introduces the band, he cannot be heard, (don't know why he didn't get applauded either,different than on the 'Lost concert' DVD).
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 07:30:21 AM »

He does seem to have quite a pinky finger (on the left hand anyway)

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2006, 08:15:08 AM »

Al's a pretty darn good acoustic folk guitarist.  He did a version of "Sloop John B." on Pete Fornatale's radio show in '83, and his playing was impressive.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2006, 09:04:23 AM »

One diff -- Hal Blaine never toured with the BB nor turned down an offer to become a permanent member (the same offer Bruce eventually took).  Now would THAT have changed history had he accepted.
Why is it that Blaine never toured with the Beach Boys? It's not as if he's opposed to touring -- he was John Denver's percussionist for a period of time in the 70s.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2006, 09:38:42 AM »

Who is that the funkifies the rhythm guitar parts on Wendy and Cherry Cherry Coupe?  I love those rhythm guitar parts.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx