gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680713 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:44:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al as a guitarist.  (Read 7218 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2006, 10:08:37 AM »

Al is an eccellent rythm player just look at some DVD/video close ups. One in particular 'The Lost Concert', just watch his fingerings playing the less commonly used chords and in difficult keys for guitar without a capo,(only guitar players know what I mean), hardly any BB songs are simple 3 chord 12 bar.
As for his amp turned down  it is noticed on the 'Beach Boys Concert' album when Mike introduces the band, he cannot be heard, (don't know why he didn't get applauded either,different than on the 'Lost concert' DVD).

This is a great example...all the guitar parts Al is playing during The Lost Concert are parts that David Marks put on the original studio recordings, or the same covers Dave had been playing with the band for the previous year and a half...Al is just playing Dave's old guitar parts as shown to him by Carl....except on Fun Fun Fun, which Al recorded himself....although David rehearsed that one with the BB's too while it was first being developed by Brian...he just left before they recorded it. This fact dawns on very few people. Al is a competent musician no doubt...but remember that the set the BB's play during the Lost Concert includes 100% guitar parts that Carl and David developed...not Carl and Al. And on the other hand, both David and Al will point out that although the BB's guitar sound was basically in place upon Al's re-arrival...the BB's vocal blend improved greatly with Al there.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2006, 10:10:09 AM »

Glen Campbell was not a Beach Boy ? I thought  he was...

Toured as Brian's fill-in...was offered a regular job...but declined. He was never an "official" Beach Boy.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2006, 10:23:19 AM »

One diff -- Hal Blaine never toured with the BB nor turned down an offer to become a permanent member (the same offer Bruce eventually took).  Now would THAT have changed history had he accepted.
Why is it that Blaine never toured with the Beach Boys? It's not as if he's opposed to touring -- he was John Denver's percussionist for a period of time in the 70s.

Because Dennis was the drummer and didn't start to miss shows until 1971.  They did hire a second drummer/percussionist in the late 60s but I doubt that Blaine was considered.  My guess is that the Beach Boys never asked Hal to tour.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2006, 10:30:56 AM »

My understanding is that Hal started to tour more after that really extreme time period of 1965-68ish where nobody felt like they could miss a day.  Of course, Hal was so iconic that he could have left and come back and still have been first call, but he would have been less likely to tour at that time, probably.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2006, 11:01:40 AM »

My understanding is that Hal started to tour more after that really extreme time period of 1965-68ish where nobody felt like they could miss a day.  Of course, Hal was so iconic that he could have left and come back and still have been first call, but he would have been less likely to tour at that time, probably.

Hal did play some shows in 63/64/65 as Jan and Dean's live drummer..and at least some of these shows were on the same bill as the Beach Boys. He told me about watching Dennis play live, and even has a photo from a show that he took of Dennis from the side of the stage. Jan and Dean did a TV pilot in '65/65 that has some live concert footage with Hal as their drummer.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2006, 11:12:46 AM »

Hal Blaine starring as "Clubber".  What a hoot that show would have been.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2006, 11:47:46 AM »

I was prett sure I read that Brian asked Hal to join them on tour in '67 but Hal declined. I can't remember if Hal or Brian said it, but I'm pretty sure it was one of them.
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »

Just heard 'PT Cruiser' on 'Songs from here and back' for the first time.
After hearing that I think that Al should definately do a solo album, long awaited by many fans.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx