gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:37:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Long Promised Road  (Read 3411 times)
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »

Let me just say that the middle section in Long Promised Road (1:20-1:52) is amazing. Very underrated moment in the BB catalogue. It just feels so epic, that organ is wonderful.

Almost has a space rock feel to it.

The rest of the song to me is just decent, but that part in particular gets me every time.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:58:42 PM »

The 'trail starts at dawn Trail starts at dawn, carries on to the season's ending' is the best part. Very mystical..
The song deserved a higher chart placing.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »

This musical section was used to great effect by Alan Boyd in the Endless Harmony documentary.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »

Long Promised Road, Feel Flows and The Trader are 3 of my all time favourite BB songs...not to mention the all time greats God Only Knows and Good Vibrations.  Then there's Wild Honey and Darlin'...and I Can Hear Music...and on...and on...  Carl was ever so OUTSTANDING.  Since he passed I have seen Brian perform several times but it PAINS me to consider seeing the Beach Boys without the little brother.  So I haven't...much to AGD's chagrin.  But...that's just me. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 03:05:43 PM »

I know I'm gonna make enemies but I like Carl's 70's songs (4th of July, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, All This Is That etc) more than his 60s stuff (Darlin, I Can Hear Music, Wild Honey).
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »

4th of July is a Dennis Wilson-Jack Rieley tune. Carl did the singing of course.

Long Promised Road is one of Carl Wilson's essential musical moments.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:21:08 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »

4th of July is a Dennis Wilson-Jack Rieley tune. Carl did the singing of course.

Long Promised Road is one of Carl Wilson's essential musical moments.

Ya I'm talking bout lead vocals
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »

I know I'm gonna make enemies but I like Carl's 70's songs (4th of July, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, All This Is That etc) more than his 60s stuff (Darlin, I Can Hear Music, Wild Honey).

Why should anybody become your enemy for stating that opinon???

Do you mean you like Carl's performances better or the songs themselves? Either way, even if I should disagree, that's OK with me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
lostbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 05:11:25 AM »

Both
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 05:32:16 AM »

One of life's great mysteries - why was he unable to maintain this quality of song-writing?
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:55:08 AM »

I have a theory that no matter who it is...songwriters only have X number of good songs in 'em.  Some more.  Some less.  Some of us have none.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:31:47 AM »

Long Promised Road, Feel Flows and The Trader are 3 of my all time favourite BB songs...not to mention the all time greats God Only Knows and Good Vibrations.  Then there's Wild Honey and Darlin'...and I Can Hear Music...and on...and on...  Carl was ever so OUTSTANDING.  Since he passed I have seen Brian perform several times but it PAINS me to consider seeing the Beach Boys without the little brother.  So I haven't...much to AGD's chagrin.  But...that's just me. Cool Guy
No, it's certainly not just you. There are plenty of us who most heartily buy into how you feel. And keep in mind despite all that chagrin you speak of, when Dennis and Carl left us, so did The Beach Boys. See you at the Brian shows.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 02:45:14 PM »

Think I'm on the minority side here, but I really don't like The Trader. LPR and Feel Flows are cool songs, with great moments, but not classics.

In my humble opinion, Carl shined the brightest when singing Brian's songs.

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:47:25 PM »

Think I'm on the minority side here, but I really don't like The Trader. LPR and Feel Flows are cool songs, with great moments, but not classics.

Now THAT's an opinion you might make enemies with! Cheesy (Personally I agree that those are nowhere near up to par with the 1964-66 classics.)

In my humble opinion, Carl shined the brightest when singing Brian's songs.

I think that's "shone", not "shined", otherwise I agree. Smiley But I'm not a native English speaker either, so please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 11:59:27 PM »

One of life's great mysteries - why was he unable to maintain this quality of song-writing?

I guess his initial string of great songs might've had a lot to do with Jack Rieley's influence at the time, actively encouraging a certain style of writing/production.

That said, I also really like his work on the Light Album.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2014, 12:16:49 AM »

His songs on the '85 album are also really good I think.

MJP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2014, 05:37:28 AM »

If you made a Beach Boys album consisting of songs co-written by Jack Reilly you have a Beach Boys album equal to Sunflower if not better.   

Long Promise Road
Feel Flows
A Day in the Life of a Tree
4th of July
Marcella
You need a mess of help to stand alone
Sail on Sailor
Steamboat
The Trader
Funky Pretty

Bonus EP- Mount Vernon and Fairway (A Fairy Tale)

Not a bad album
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx