gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 07:39:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Whole World track production  (Read 6296 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 08:56:33 PM »

Yeah, but come on.  We have to cut the band some credit; they went along with A LOT of his musical ideas. 

Not going along with two of his best post Good Vibrations songs? 'Can't Wait Too Long' and 'Old Man River'!?! Couldn't they recognize the greatness in these tunes?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2006, 02:14:18 AM »

I think Ol' Man River was one of Rodgers and Hammerstein's best songs from the musical Show Boat. Particularly like Frank Sinatra and the Jeff Beck Group's versions, as well as the 1936 film version by Paul Robeson.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Quincy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2006, 07:32:08 AM »

Didn't his writing really start to dry up during this period..I always wondered why he could'nt knock out a song like he did a few years before..I figured he just dried up and thats why he retreated from being a force in the band..even his filler in 64-66 wasn't shabby..I'm probably wrong..but thats the impression I always had at the time.

Wayne
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2006, 08:25:26 AM »

Yeah, but come on.  We have to cut the band some credit; they went along with A LOT of his musical ideas. 

Not going along with two of his best post Good Vibrations songs? 'Can't Wait Too Long' and 'Old Man River'!?! Couldn't they recognize the greatness in these tunes?

I think they were always looking for songs that sounded like the songs on the charts to be succesfull, while Brian always tried to achieve great musical heights. I seriously doubt that Mike liked "Good Vibrations" even though he wrote (part of) the lyrics. 
And stuff like "OMR" and "Can't wait"  didn't sound like the other contemporary songs...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 10:39:47 AM »

I think Rocker is on the mark here - when Smiley SMile failed commercially, and the subsequent albums and singles failed (well, wild Honey did OK), the band, which were taking more of a role in songwriting and production, no longer trusted Brian's musical instincts in terms of making a hit.  They weren't interested in struggling to complete Brian's passing fancies that didn't seem to be going anywhere and had very little potential to become a hit.  This was a dark period of unpopularity for the band, the Maharishi tour was a disaster, and they really wanted a hit song.  I'm sure they recognized the musical brilliance of some of what Brian was doing, but it seemed to them out of touch with the music market of the day (heavy, guitar driven music - Hendrix, Cream - or the more poppy stuff) so  they went to outside
producers (Rick Henn, the Seasons in the Sun guy).  They were desperate.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx