gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:01:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Whole World track production  (Read 6292 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2006, 12:57:22 PM »

This Whole World has been one of my favourite Beach Boys tracks for some time, and I encourage you all to take a new listen to it sometime if you haven't lately.

It's a very unique track in the Beach Boys catalog.  The next time you listen, take a very careful listen in the far left and far right of the stereo picture for the guitars.  The guitar work is very unique for a BW type of thing.  David Cohen, in particular, is just let loose to do whatever he wants, and he really turns in a virtuosic display of county-inspired licks and fills.  I believe he's in the right channel.  On the other side, Jerry Cole plays crunchy, power-pop kind of eighth-note power chords, which I don't know if the Beach Boys had really done up to that point.  But then on the chorus, David steps it up with fills and licks of his own, and the two guitarists lock into a pretty thrilling interplay.  Check it out.

Also of note is a return to a BW favorite technique of using two electric basses in unison. 

I just really like the sound that this particular group of people got together. 

What a track.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 09:14:04 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 01:10:01 PM »

Maybe the unusualness of this track in terms of production has something to do with Carl producing it?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 01:13:24 PM »

Well, I thought Carl produced it too, and maybe he had a hand in arranging it, but I can tell you that Brian was calling the shots from the control room while the tape was running, at least.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 01:15:18 PM »

The guitar work is really sweet. I love how 'in the groove' they are.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 01:25:39 PM »

Interesting - since Alan mentioned how Carl was listed as producer for the session.  So it would be at the very least a coproduction.

Dating back to the days of Brad Elliott I've been under the assumption that the only track fully produced by Brian was Add Some Music - as you get more definitive information from the tapes as to who produced what, please share with us!
Wilsonista
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 01:28:56 PM »

Doesn't Brad's notes on the Brother GH disc say that Brian produced the basic track with Carl finishing it?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:44:01 PM »

I love and admire the track, too. It is probably my favorite production of the Desper years, and one of the first to really jump out at me. I remember having first bought the twofer and being amazed. It is one of the BBs best uses of the entire stereo spectrum to really make a full sounding production, as opposed to stereo for stereo's sake (I'm thinking Beatles as a nice example of that...Pepper, etc.). The background vocals, too, sound just brilliant. It is all so sharp.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »

The other night Alan agreed with statements by Peter Reum and Peter Carlin that Brian didn't finish what he started after the Friends album, letting Carl pick up slack.  I could see Brian start production and therefore being on the tracking tape but leave it to Carl to finish.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 02:56:06 PM »

From what I can ascertain, and I'm sure Mark or Alan could clarify, but I bet  after Brian produced the basic track (which was actually quite minimal) to 8-track, Carl did the dub over to 16-track and produced the overdubs and perhaps the vocal sessions as well.  I believe the notes that list Carl as the producer are on the tape box that contains the 16-track second generation.

You know, while I love Desper's engineering with all of my heart, in some ways it's too bad that they're such full, sonically rich mixes...haha, because you tend to not hear some of the neat individual stuff sometimes as you're washed over with the waves of divinity.  That's what could make a Sunflower Box Set or something so neat.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 03:05:11 PM »

I absolutely love this song.  The backing vocals are wonderful, is that Marilyn on it too?  Was this recorded in Brian's home?   
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 06:54:56 PM »

"The other night Alan agreed with statements by Peter Reum and Peter Carlin that Brian didn't finish what he started after the Friends album, letting Carl pick up slack"

I thought Peter has said that Brian didn't finish what he started with Wild Honey and Friends either, Carl and Murry picking up the slack.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 07:56:33 PM »

Carl and Murry picking up the slack.

Murry!? More info please.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 03:31:47 AM »

It's been fairly established I think by Peter that Murry helped out on the Friends album.  I didn't mean that Brian finished the total sum of WH or Friends alone, but rather that he may have been able to polish off individual tracks on the Friends album but afterwards couldn't even do that.  The watershed track seems to have been "Old Man River" which meant a lot to Brian but the group would not support or realize to his satisfaction.  Around that time Brian also was institutionalized and put on Thorazine.  From that time on, so these insiders say, until even today, Brian has never finished without help and outside prodding, ANY track of any sort.  Even on Love You, Carl had to take very rough demos and mix them extensively to be releaseable.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 06:26:31 AM »

Why is that? Is it just because the studio makes him nervous or does he have brain damage and can't keep track of what he's doing?

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 06:52:09 AM »

Possibly both.  I do think that Thorazine could have that impact -- Thorazine changes you forever when you take it.  That's why it isn't given as often or as quickly anymore.  Peter was very specific -- those around Brian say that he was NEVER the same after that institutionalization, and the medication is a sufficient explanation.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 07:21:22 AM »

Possibly both.  I do think that Thorazine could have that impact -- Thorazine changes you forever when you take it.  That's why it isn't given as often or as quickly anymore.  Peter was very specific -- those around Brian say that he was NEVER the same after that institutionalization, and the medication is a sufficient explanation.

Peter would know, being trained in that field.  And this may also explain Dennis' comment (to Pete Fornatale in '76):  "I could tell you atrocity stories of things that have happened to Brian". 

Craig
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 09:40:16 AM »

Murry 'helping out' on Friends explains a lot about that record. I thought that Brian often listed it as his favorite BB's album because it was the only one that the rest of them helped him finish (or something like that.) Could Murry arrange? What would his suggestions have been, other than in aspects of 'feel'? If there's any specific info out there, I'd love to hear it - Friends has been puzzling me for some time now.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 10:50:23 AM »

I had no idea Brian was institutionalized.

Was that common knowledge back then, or was it kept secret?

This must have been around the time of 20/20, right?

Glenn
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 01:42:21 PM »

I also think it's important to note that the whole "Brian never again finished a track on his own" business coincides with the general trend in recording to delegate more duties as the recording process became more complicated. Certainly the studios of the mid 60s were far different from those of the 70s, 80s and 90s. Brian, once he left that environment for a time, may never have felt the need to learn how to "do it all" again.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 02:56:54 PM »

I'd have to think there are many reasons why Brian seems to have been unable to have completed a track without help for several decades.  I don't think it's all attributable to taking Thorazine.  Psychosis unto itself causes brain damage, especially acute psychotic episodes, at least from what little I've read about those types of illnesses.  The theory goes that anti-psychotic medication should be administered early in those illnesses to prevent brain damage from the illness. Whatever damage they do on their own is another issue.  Brian also took a lot of street drugs, of course.  All of which can cause permanent damage if you take enough of them, and short-term damage in the form of  reducing productivity and motivation.

That said, even if you take those things out of the equation, there are a couple of other factors with Brian.  One is the success factor.  He could never equal that early monster success, so that may have made him unmotivated to try harder.  He felt rejected as early as "Pet Sounds," which went to #9.  Maybe he just didn't want his name associated with things that didn't have the potential to sell large quantities, so he withdrew.  The nature of studio work also changed drastically, as claymcc noted.  Just for starters, it went completely stereo, which Brian was unable to do on own because of his partial deafness.  His productions were also very arrangement-dependent and mostly live.  Maybe he just never had a big interest in multi-tracking, punching in each part, extensive overdubbing, and the laborious mixdowns of all those elements.  Look at the hassles he went through in putting together "Good Vibrations," with all the sessions and editing involved.  It was done incredibly well, and he actually was a pioneer of the form, but perhaps that method of putting together music left him drained.

That combination of the hassle of modern recording technology and the lack of incentive for his extra effort in the form of huge commercial success may have left Brian with a lack of desire.  It's also possible he sort of gave up on it because he just doesn't personally like the sound of modern-method music.  It's hard to complete things when you don't really enjoy what you're doing.  Though as far as his work ethic in the studio in recent years, it must be good when he's onto something he actually enjoys doing, or he wouldn't be able to do all those self-overdubbed harmonies.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:02:53 PM by forget marie » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 07:20:22 PM »

Well, how is Brian not finishing 'Old Man River, 'Can't Wait Too Long', or 'Walk On By' any different than not finishing the tracks on Smile? Maybe it's the same phobias?

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 07:33:34 PM »

Friends was an attempt to move past Smile, an attempt to get back to the old ways and forget Smile.  While it was successful during that set of sessions, with lots of help from the band, during Old Man River it came apart again, this time not to come back together at all.  This was when Brian began his retreat in earnest.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 08:23:51 PM »

So what happened during the 'Old Man River' sessions? The band said they hated it and thought it was lame and Brian was in such a fragile state he just said "Ah, foda it."  Is this similar to what happened with 'Fairy Tale Music' during Holland?

It's amazing how the band lost so much faith in the guy who was responsible for all the hits. Even if he was acting pretty weird, it's strange they didn't trust his musical instincts. Up to that point they had never done anything except take orders from him.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 08:26:52 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 08:31:52 PM »

Yeah, but come on.  We have to cut the band some credit; they went along with A LOT of his musical ideas.  Just because a few songs didn't get finished (or several, whichever) doesn't mean they weren't supportive or didn't trust him.  They did plenty of work on plenty of songs that to be frank are either pretty wild out of the box stuff or just plain bad music. 
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 08:32:13 PM »

No one has publicly told us the details of what happened yet at that period.  Hints have been dropped.  I think that Peter Carlin's book will tell the story in more detail (I hope).  Alan Boyd made some comments, which I won't repeat, but basically he said it was a tremendous chore to edit together the vocal only version of OMR because of the issues at the time.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx