-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:16:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  "The Complete Mr. Arkadin" - DVD Box Set (Need Advice!)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "The Complete Mr. Arkadin" - DVD Box Set (Need Advice!)  (Read 7415 times)
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2006, 06:44:02 AM »

I'm seriously thinking of picking up this new Criterion box set of one of Orson Welles movies that he lost control of--and many versions that subsequently got released to the public, including a newer version of the movie edited--based on Orson's notes and interviews. Box set includeds the novel of the movie. Has anyone purchased this set? Never seen this movie(s)and I'm hearing great things about this box set? Is this a great blind buy for me or should I hold off? Seems very intriging of a box set though....Kind of reminds me of "Smile" in some sort of way--as it's another unfinished (By Orson, though they took away the movie in the editing room from him)and with many versions available, reminds me of everyone trying to piece Smile together all these years....

Appreciate any comments or thoughts?

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 12:09:29 PM »

Well...I picked it up as I was able to obtain this box set for a very good price! Still curious as to your thoughts/reviews on this box set...?

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 12:41:57 PM »

Arkadin was the Red Herring, the convenient place of blame for Welles to place all of his hatred. Because THIS film was ruined, his life was ruined, not because of his erratic and unbalanced personality, or his drunkenness.
Looked at without Welles-colored glasses, it could have been a really good film, but not a masterpiece. The horrid wigs he wears alone would have marred it to the point of non-masterpiece status. And the story wants to be profound, but sadly it doesen't come near the popular cinema of Ford and Capra that Welles so covertly and jealously envied, while willing to do none of the real work that gave those men their industry cache.
But, Arkadin is full of Welles' cinematic pyrotechnics, so is essential for any true cinema fan. The DVD itself is a masterwork of detective work for the geeks among us.
Film=3 stars.
DVD=4 stars.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »

Thank you for responding! But...are you referring to this Criterion box set with the 3 versions of the film on 3 discs (3rd version latest creation based on Welles notes and interviews?), or are you referring to one of the two specific versions contained within the box set that have been previously available on PD DVDs?

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 01:01:01 PM »

The Criterion set.

Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 01:10:26 PM »

Thank you, sir! Appreciate it once again! Though I do look forward to viewing this set immensely!

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 05:15:41 PM »

Hey Cal, you're Buffalo Wings on the FECC board, right?
If so, please check out my Elvis thread on the Smile Shop Board.
Cheers!
http://thesmileshop.phpwebhosting.com/forum/

Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 07:06:47 AM »

IS,

Which version of the movie do you recommend I should start with, and which ones should be next, in your opinion?

I'll check out the link to the Elvis thread. Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 06:42:11 AM »

Has anyone else purchased this Criterion DVD box set? What's the preferred order to viewing the 3 films contained in this set?

Thanks!

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 12:11:15 PM »

I'd say watch the set from Disc 1 on, that's the way I watched it!

Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 12:13:39 PM »

My final exam in one class is reproducing a 'radio broadcast' of a Third Man episode called the Man Of Mystery.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:01 PM »

Arkadin was the Red Herring, the convenient place of blame for Welles to place all of his hatred. Because THIS film was ruined, his life was ruined, not because of his erratic and unbalanced personality, or his drunkenness.
Looked at without Welles-colored glasses, it could have been a really good film, but not a masterpiece. The horrid wigs he wears alone would have marred it to the point of non-masterpiece status. And the story wants to be profound, but sadly it doesen't come near the popular cinema of Ford and Capra that Welles so covertly and jealously envied, while willing to do none of the real work that gave those men their industry cache.
But, Arkadin is full of Welles' cinematic pyrotechnics, so is essential for any true cinema fan. The DVD itself is a masterwork of detective work for the geeks among us.
Film=3 stars.
DVD=4 stars.

Ian, I am always impressed by your knowledge of music. And I am pleasantly surprised that you are knowledgeable about film too.  Thumbs Up

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 11:06:18 PM »

Hey, thank you very much, good sir!  Smiley

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 02:27:47 PM »

I love Arkadin, now in it's more "complete" form". Get it. Ignore "Confidential Report". BUY IT. BUY IT. BUY IT!!!!

Then buy Lady From Shanghai!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 03:52:40 PM »

How's the dvd quality for Lady From Shanghai? Is it a good transfer?

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 09:19:51 AM »

Yes, it looks fine. And there's even commentary from Bogdonvich and a doc about the making of the picture. Not a "Criterion" effort by any means, but a respectable effort from Tri-Star. It's probably my favorite Welles film, even though it too was compromised. Particularly in the soundtrack department.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 03:23:54 PM »

How many of Welles' films were completed? 12 or 11 right?  How many of those have PROPER dvd releases?

1. Mr. Akadin

2. F For Fake

3. Citizen Kane

4. Touch Of Evil

5. Lady From Shanghai

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 06:01:16 PM »

Othello was also "properly" released, although with a newly constructed soundtrack approved by his daughter. Overseas you can get Macbeth and Chimes at Midnight and The Immortal Story. Ambersons and Journey into Fear will be released simultaneously maybe next year, says Warners.

The Stranger is out there to. So far, only the Roan version is worth owning. Very clean print. And it's a great little flick, even through Orson was aiming to please.

The Trial is OOP I think, but was available from Milestone. It can be gotten on eBay for an arm or leg. Accept no substitutions. ONLY MILESTONE. All else is crap.

Only Kane, F For Fake, The Trial, Othello and Chimes at Midnight were truly uncompromised films. All the others had someone else's hand in them messing them up.

Lady From Shanghai is my favorite, and oh how I dream of what it would have looked like if Orson had done it the way he wanted.....

Pray Ambesons is found.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: