-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:32:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Carnival Of Sound
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Monty Python's Flying Circus
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Monty Python's Flying Circus  (Read 5094 times)
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:11:39 PM »

I've been watching this show since I was in 7th grade, and my interest in it has recently been piqued for some unknown reason. I absolutely love this show! Just about every episode is great (the exceptions being a few post-Cleese clunkers) and the writing specifically has had a huge influence on my own sketch writing. Being an actor, the show Is a wonderful study in characters. It's just great.

So are there any other Python fans around here? If so, feel free to discuss the show here!

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:29:01 AM »

What can I say about it that hasn't already been said? An absolute classic series. Definitely don't care for it after Cleese's departure though, but even that had it's moments.

Favourite sketches include the Dirty Fork, the Dirty Hungarian Phrasebook, the Mattress sketch, Two Sheds and the Lumberjack Song.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 02:55:46 AM »

I love it. All my life the intelligentsia (and the Pythons themselves) have been saying, it hasn't all held up that well, it's dated, it's overrated. I'm having none of it.

Edit: My favourite is the hilarious Graham Chapman. I recently was shocked to see a magazine refer to him as "the least famous" Python. I'm sure that couldn't have been the case during the 70s, and if it's the case now it's only because he's no longer around to remind us about himself.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:58:36 AM by unreleased backgrounds » Logged

Please delete my account
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 03:16:37 AM »

I've only seen the first movie. How does the show compare to it?
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 03:26:19 AM »

I've only seen the first movie. How does the show compare to it?

imagine a sketch show done by the same guys and you're pretty much there. some folk prefer the films; some (including me) prefer the TV show. the only way to find out which group you belong to is to try it.

Please delete my account
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 07:50:54 AM »

I'm a huge Monty Python fan. I love the Flying Circus, and love the movies (especially The Holy Grail). My favorite Flying Circus skit is probably the one with the Zeppelin where everybody is getting tossed out because they're referring to the Zeppelin as a 'balloon'. I also love the "Confuse-A-Cat" and "Silly Job Interview". Damn, John Cleese was just so hilarious! They all were, Chapman, Idle, Jones, Gilliam, Palin... Another favorite of mine is "How To Recognize Different Types Of Trees From Quite A Long Way Away".  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »

Is this the argument clinic? Huh

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 03:29:34 PM »

Ni!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 07:09:31 AM »

I'm a huge Monty Python fan. I love the Flying Circus, and love the movies (especially The Holy Grail). My favorite Flying Circus skit is probably the one with the Zeppelin where everybody is getting tossed out because they're referring to the Zeppelin as a 'balloon'. I also love the "Confuse-A-Cat" and "Silly Job Interview". Damn, John Cleese was just so hilarious! They all were, Chapman, Idle, Jones, Gilliam, Palin... Another favorite of mine is "How To Recognize Different Types Of Trees From Quite A Long Way Away".  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

The episode with the Zeppelin Sketch was my favorite for a long time. Now it's probably "Michael Ellis" which is one of the better season 4 episodes. I also like The Cannibalism Sketches from "Royal Episode 13." Gotta love that dark humor.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 10:08:08 AM »

The episode with the Zeppelin Sketch was my favorite for a long time. Now it's probably "Michael Ellis" which is one of the better season 4 episodes. I also like The Cannibalism Sketches from "Royal Episode 13." Gotta love that dark humor.

Yeah, the Michael Ellis episode is hilarious. Love the zany counter persons at the Ant Counter  LOL
rogerlancelot
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:22 PM »

Never heard of them. Are they really any good?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 12:54:05 AM »

The 'Tough but Fair' sketch with the gangsters is one of my favourites, unfortunately, British TV' still has a love affair with 'hard men' and doesn't see them for the thugs Python did all those years ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: