gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:44:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Christmas Songs  (Read 13334 times)
Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

My Favorite Beach Boy ( The Real Surfer)

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2014, 07:41:28 PM »

What is your favorite Christmas Song by the Beach Boys ? Mine is

Morning Christmas by Dennis Wilson
Santa Got an Airplane
Little Saint Nick
Santa's Beard

I had a fast Life
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:14:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:02:56 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »

Christmas Day

+11111

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:42:30 PM »

Little Saint Nick
Auld Lang Syne
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:25:57 PM »

"Auld Lang Syne" a Christmas song by The Beach Boys? It's traditionally sung at the conclusion of New Year gatherings around the world, especially in English-speaking countries. Its traditional use is to bid farewell to the old year at the stroke of midnight. By extension, it is also sung at funerals, graduations and as a farewell or ending to other occasions.

But The Boys did a great rendition of it. Dennis messed up the voice over. Who knows why Brian let it go. I like the story Foskett told when he first approached Dennis about it.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

I love "Little Saint Nick". Thanks, Mike, for clearing up my confusion on when Christmas comes each year.
I also love "Merry Christmas, Baby". The chorus is a little undercooked, but I dig the verses.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 11:13:46 PM »

Little Saint Nick - 45 or album version is just fine.

Santa's Beard - the bit about the little bro standing in line and shaking like a leaf really speaks to me, man - I've been there.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 12:50:41 AM »

1.  Little St. Nick
2.  The Man With All the Toys
3.  We Three Kings

I kinda wish that there had been a bonus version of Auld Lang Syne...one without Dennis' voice-over.  Timely...if not cheesy...back in the mid 60s...I would appreciate a 'clean' version for programming purposes.

Would it have been Brian's choice and/or recommendation to bring in Benjamin Barrett and Dick Reynolds for that specific project?  Quite a departure in sound for the band...not to mention for the mix as well.  I came to appreciate it as I got older but initially I kind of found it to be a little over the top with the 'schmaltz'...although Frosty was cool.  [as it were/so to speak]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 01:33:43 AM »

1.  We Three Kings of Orient Are
2.  Little St. Nick
3.  The Man With All the Toys
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:47:39 AM »

1. Winter Symphony - it is so Brian; love the piano; I don't hear any Al in this song, for those who do at what minute/seconds of the song do you hear Al's voice?
2. Little St. Nick - as good as almost any other BW/ML tune from that era; like most Brian productions so much happening in two minutes
3. Morning Christmas - again Dennis creates a mood and atmosphere that only he could come up with
4. Child Of Winter - again a lot going on in this song; favorite part is the way the song transitions into "Here Comes Santa Claus"; probably in the minority here but I don't like Brian's spoken interlude
5. Joy To The World - great Joe Thomas production and emotional Brian lead vocal; if it wasn't for Brian yelling dit-dit-dit this would be a classic
6. Frosty The Snowman - whenever this comes on the radio or at the department store or at the grocery store it makes me happy and makes it feel like Christmas
7. We Three Kings - can't leave this one out; they were peaking vocally; that short video snippet from 1964 is incredible, other-worldly
8. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - again when I hear it played in public it makes me smile; Brian absolutely shines both on the intro and chorus
9. On Christmas Day - Spectorian; other than maybe "Joy To The World" the best song on a disappointing album
10. The First Noel - honorable mention for Brian hitting "that note" and you know the one I mean; however the harmonies at the end of the song are the shining moment of Brian's solo career
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 02:37:58 AM »

I kinda wish that there had been a bonus version of Auld Lang Syne...one without Dennis' voice-over.  Timely...if not cheesy...back in the mid 60s...I would appreciate a 'clean' version for programming purposes.

But there is a version without DW's voiceover. Released on Rarities, and later on as a bonustrack on a few BB Christmas Album reissues on CD, if I recall correctly. I'm sure it can be found on the Ultimate Christmas album from 1998.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 03:17:34 AM »

Thanks for the tip.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 04:50:52 AM »

Gotta be Little St Nick and The Man with All the Toys. I also like Child of Winter, although more as a Love You forerunner than a Christmas song.

Mele Kalikimaka is a lost classic

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
The Real Barnyard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 05:19:38 AM »

Alone On Christmas Day

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 06:36:59 AM »

1.  We Three Kings of Orient Are
2.  Little St. Nick
3.  The Man With All the Toys
We Three Kings "live" is magnificent...I've seen it a couple of times, but there is a old YouTube black and white video that I figure must be circa 1964, because Brian is singing with them.  I can't link it on an iPad.

Little St. Nick - just three most fun Christmas song, better live (still some vintage black and white videos)

As well as

The Man with all the toys!   Wink

***Adeste Fideles from the UNICEF Paris concert 12-15-1967!  Love
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:12:34 AM by filledeplage » Logged
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »

I love Blue Christmas Brains voice is spot on.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 07:20:17 AM »

Child of Winter, Winter Symphony, We Three Kings
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 07:55:26 AM »

Alone On Christmas Day

I have a vague recollection that back when "Ultimate Christmas" came out, it was said that some of the '77 tracks that *weren't* on it were due to the tracks being vetoed by someone in the band. Now, I think the CD is filled pretty close to capacity, so I'm not sure if they could have squeezed everything on there anyway. But I've always wondered if "Alone on Christmas Day" was vetoed, and if so, was it vetoed by Mike? Same with "Go and Get that Girl."

It's not a great song, but it strikes me as a better than at least a few of the other '77 tracks. Mike's lead is a bit shaky, and it has what sounds like the backing vocal sound from that era that sounds like mostly Brian and Rocky, but it's not the worst thing they churned out during that period.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 07:59:07 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 08:11:01 AM »

But The Boys did a great rendition of it. Dennis messed up the voice over. Who knows why Brian let it go. I like the story Foskett told when he first approached Dennis about it.

What is that story, if I may ask?

My favorites: Little Saint Nich (single) and We Three Kings.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2014, 08:22:39 AM »

THese are the BB-related Christmas songs that turn up the most on my Christmas comps:
Morning Christmas
Winter Symphony
Little Saint Nick - Mike's vocal is terrific on this one
What I Really Want for Christmas - I think this is a great track. Pity it's a Christmas song...
Go and Get That Girl
On Christmas Day
Joy to the World (except the dits; with you on that one, SJS)
London is a Lonely Town (well, it's got Bruce on it)
Goin' South
We Three Kings
O Holy Night - something about this one from Brian's album that I really like - except for the ending
Christmassey
Alone on Christmas Day
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »

Man With All The Toys is my favorite Xmas Beach Boys song, and it's also one of the only BB songs that I prefer the BW solo version of.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »

Hard to pick a favourite!  Winter Symphony, LSN, Morning Christmas, Joy to the World etc.

I heard a cover of Merry Christmas, Baby in a store a few years ago.  It was a modern version.  Anyone else heard it or know who covered it?
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 11:00:52 AM »

What is that story, if I may ask?

My favorites: Little Saint Nich (single) and We Three Kings.

After Foskett was hired by the Beach Boys in 1981, around Christmas time, he had to head to the airport to get to his first gig with the group. When he gets to the gate, he sees Dennis Wilson sleeping the previous evening's activities off. He introduces himself to Dennis and says that he was listening to some Beach Boys stuff the night before. He says to Dennis, "How about this old gem?" and he plays a tape of the Beach Boys' "Auld Lang Syne."

Dennis responds: "How about THIS old gem? 'You're Fired!'"

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Nicko1234
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 04:31:20 PM »

The live version of O Come All Ye Faithful is superb.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 12:58:18 AM »

***Adeste Fideles from the UNICEF Paris concert 12-15-1967!  Love

The live version of O Come All Ye Faithful is superb.

Yeah, an absolutely wonderful vocal performance.  Wish it was available in even better audio quality than the YouTube version I'm used to hearing.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx