gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 03:23:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cheesiest Beach Boys Songs  (Read 7066 times)
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2006, 04:58:20 PM »

Probably already done as a topic of discussion but what do you think are some of The Beach Boys cheesiest songs either as a group or as solo artists?  I would say...

1) How She Boogalood It
2) When A Man Needs A Woman
3) Belles Of Paris
4) TM Song
5) Disney Girls
6) Matchpoint Of Our Love
7) Sumahama
8) Kokomo
9) Endless Harmony
10) Tears In The Morning
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 05:02:40 PM »

Great thread. The Beach Boys are the king of cheese sometimes.

Let's see,

The entire Surfin' album  :D
Anna Lee The Healer
Catch A Wave
Love and Mercy (Perhaps I'll be punched for this one)

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 05:16:13 PM »

Good choices, I never put much thought into any early surfing era Beach Boys songs as cheesy.  As for Love And Mercy that's fair, I would probably get punched for saying You And I and Pacific Ocean Blues is cheesy.
Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 05:22:58 PM »

Great thread. The Beach Boys are the king of cheese sometimes.

Let's see,

The entire Surfin' album  :D
Anna Lee The Healer
Catch A Wave
Love and Mercy (Perhaps I'll be punched for this one)

Screw L&M, how can you have Anna Lee?  That song is A-mazing.

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 05:25:25 PM »

I like it, but it's cheese fest U.S.A.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 05:49:32 PM »

-everyone's in love with you
-he came down (kinda)
-sumahama
-beaks of eagles

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:55:54 PM »

What exactly do you mean by "cheese"? Is it exclusively romantic schmaltz, or tacky lyrics, etc? When someone says cheesy I usually think of a trite love song.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 06:20:43 PM »

Surf's Up, Cabinessence, Don't Worry Baby, Sail On Sailor, This Whole World, Til I Die, Feel Flows, and the entire Pet Sounds album.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »

Surf's Up, Cabinessence, Don't Worry Baby, Sail On Sailor, This Whole World, Til I Die, Feel Flows, and the entire Pet Sounds album.

Totally agree.

Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 06:26:13 PM »

What exactly do you mean by "cheese"? Is it exclusively romantic schmaltz, or tacky lyrics, etc? When someone says cheesy I usually think of a trite love song.

All of the above, I think of overly sentimental and schmaltzy music like lush syrupy orchestral arrangments and lyrics, to me Bruce Johnston is the ultimate Schlockmeister.
Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 06:35:27 PM »

Brian- Dream Angel, Rainbow Eyes, Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel, City Blues, Make A Wish (Pretty much most of Gettin In Over My Head)

Dennis- Cuddle Up, You And I, Pacific Ocean Blues, Rainbows.

Carl- Goin South

Mike- Kokomo, Getcha Back, Sumahama, Everyone's In Love With You.

Al- Lady Lynda, Beaks of Eagles.

Bruce- Pretty much everything.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 06:40:37 PM »

Hey, what's up, Jason. I love Johnston and his cheesiness, just as much as Dennis' primal soul.

Denny's Drums
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 06:43:28 PM »

OMFG Ian!!??  How's it hanging?  Don't answer that!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 06:48:01 PM »

Hey buddy, I missed yer McCartney lists and all.
Have you dropped by the Smile Shop yet? If not, do, as well as here more often. Rock on, buddy!
http://thesmileshop.phpwebhosting.com/forum/

Rerun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 07:18:11 PM »

Ok, how about the awful, "Be True to Your School?"  Rah Rah!

"Today, in our increasingly secular world, loving one another doesn't just mean "loving."  It means being forced to accept as normal those behaviors and lifestyles that are absolutely abnormal.  It's not enough to live and let live.  You must chant their mantra as well; you must repent, renounce your own values, and pronounce those of the radical left as superior and adopt them."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 09:24:29 PM »

Oh hell no.  "Be True To Your School" is awesome.  Weren't they just out of high school then?

And what the heck are you thinking saying "Catch A Wave"?  That whole song is a euphenism for life... I know that, and I don't even know how to spell euphenism.  He's talking about how in life you have low spots and high spots, and the high times carry you through the bad times.  Just like a surfer waits all day for a nice wave to be sittin' on top of the world, people do that in life too.  In the second verse Mike says "They'll hit the road and I'll be surfin' soon, and when they catch a wave they'll be sittin' on top of the world" indicating that even though they're not surfing they're still catching waves, etc.  Finally, I leave you with:

"the ocean is yesterday--that's where the waves are coming from, from the past. The shore is tomorrow--where the waves are going to, where they die. Where they meet is where it gets rough, but that's where I want to be, riding the now."- Brian F'in Wilson
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 10:00:33 PM »

Ok, how about the awful, "Be True to Your School?"  Rah Rah!

If you mean the version with the Honeys , then I agree with you, but not the LDC version.  Classic Beach Boys. 

The cheesiest Beach Boys song I think is probably 'The Surfer Moon', but only because of it's production.  Add to that all of the Dick Reynolds produced stuff on the Christmas Album.

And in terms of most cheese per Beach Boy, it has to be Bruce.  I like a lot of his songs, but his voice combined with his melodies=cheese.  Even 'Dierdre'.  But a lot of people would consider the entire BB catalog 'cheesy', including The Beatles and any old music.  But I prefer old cheese to new crap.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 10:07:23 PM »

You say cheese, I say heart. And whether it makes you cry or throw up depends on the talent of the composer.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 10:24:02 PM »

County Fair, Ten Little Indians, Chug-A-Lug, Heads You Win Tails I Lose, Cuckoo Clock, The Baker Man, You're So Good To Me, When A Man Needs a Woman, I Saw Santa Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, I Sleep Alone, PT Cruiser, Christmasey, anything by Mike Love that's not written with Brian

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 10:26:18 PM »

You're So Good To Me?Huh?
No WAY!
Same for Be True, Surfer Moon and Catch A Wave.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 10:49:53 PM »

You're So Good to Me has terribly cheesey lyrics. Come on, what kind of love song begins with, "You're kinda small" ? Is that supposed to be a compliment?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 11:15:42 PM »

What kind of song contains the line "They isolate their heads and stay in their safety zone"? That a cheesy one?
Mar IS small!

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2006, 11:18:42 PM »

What kind of song contains the line "They isolate their heads and stay in their safety zone"?
A song about drugs; it fits perfectly. The whole song is full of hipster speak.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2006, 11:50:10 PM »

What kind of song contains the line "They isolate their heads and stay in their safety zone"?
A song about drugs; it fits perfectly. The whole song is full of hipster speak.

Well, You're So Good To Me is a song that is very personal to Marilyn Wilson. Therefore the specificity of the lyric about her very small stature is entirely fitting and endearing.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 12:23:58 AM »

I still don't see how mentioning that she's short is par for a love song.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx