gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:39:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this Fender Precision Bass Similar To The One Brian Used?  (Read 2824 times)
Sgt Pepper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 27, 2014, 04:29:06 PM »

Hello!

I want to start playing bass, and being a huge Beach Boys fan, I wanted to get a bass like the one Brian used when performing live with the Beach Boys in the early days. I know he often had The Wrecking Crew playing on records, but as far as I know, a fender precision bass was often used. Brian had an olympic white precision bass. After doing some research, it seems he got it sometime in late '63 or early '64. Here is a picture of the one I'm referring to:

Fender is currently selling a '63 reissue in olympic white.

http://www.fender.com/series/american-vintage/american-vintage-63-precision-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-olympic-white/

Anyone know if this would sound similar to the one Brian used? It looks to be based on the same model that he acquired.

Thanks!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 04:52:52 PM »

Brian used a sunburst Fender bass in '62 and '63 for live appearances, and on the group's first few albums. The white Fender bass appeared in early '64. Most of the bass on the first two BB's LP's is played by Brian. The third LP has both Brian and Al Jardine playing most of the bass. The fourth LP has more Al on bass, as do the next couple of albums, as Brian started moving more to keyboards. Ray Pohlman often doubled Al on bass, especially during the All Summer Long period.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:54:35 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Sgt Pepper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »

Hey Jon. Thanks for the info.

I knew that Brian had the sunburst P bass from the picture inside the sleeve of my Surfin USA album. I believe once he got the white fender, the sunburst fender was more or less retired. I think Bruce used it occasionally too once Brian stopped touring. I've seen pictures of him with it.

I guess I meant to say that I wanted to get a white P bass, and was wondering if anyone knew of the year of the white one Brian had. Based on when he acquired it, it would seem it was likely a '63. Which would mean that the one I linked that fender is currently selling would be based on the same one that Brian had.
Tricycle Rider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 05:39:59 PM »

Hey Sgt Pepper, Welcome to the Forum!  Smiley

The Fender bass you linked to would be great for what you want. (I would go with the Olympic White one too)
Putting flatwound strings on it is VERY important if you want that classic 60s sound. You'll want to remove both the chrome pickup cover AND the chrome bridge cover. This will allow you to mute the strings at the bridge with your palm, and give you maximum playability over the length of the string for different tones. You will also want a hard guitar pick so you can get that "clicky" sound when you mute the strings with your palm. Learn to use the fingers of your right hand as well as a pick. The picked bass sound is all over those Beach Boys records. Here is a link to the closest available set of flatwound bass strings to the ones Fender shipped their basses with in the 60s.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ghs-m3050-precision-flatwound-bass-strings-medium?cntry=us&source=3WWRWXGP&gclid=CPm86ZqQnMICFck-MgodrRoAlQ&kwid=productads-plaid^82172119467-sku^103126000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^51870555867

Have Fun!  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:54:16 PM by Tricycle Rider » Logged

Some of our forum members suffer from an acute form of cynicism resulting in a complete lack of patience and manners in the face of anything joyful or optimistic. Try to humor them as best you can for the time being, and one day, with your help, we will find a cure for this devastating disease. This has been a public service announcement.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx