gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:35:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Winter Symphony  (Read 4356 times)
Smilin Ed H
« on: November 27, 2014, 10:13:31 AM »

I love this! But is Brian's the only voice I hear or is Al on it too?
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »

Love it too!

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »

I think I here Al's voice as well! Even just doubled over Brian's voice. Amazing how much Al can sound like Brian. I could barely tell them apart on I Know There's an Answer and Be Here in the Morning.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 11:16:31 AM »

Another one in the "love it" category. Wouldn't it be cool if Brian performed it in his December shows?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 11:43:35 AM »

Further proof that Brian still "had it" at that point. Much better than anything on M.I.U. except for My Diane.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »

Wasn't that recorded in 1974? One of the last ones before Brian's voice went South? It's on the Beach Boys Ultimate Christmas album and fits right in. Sure glad they formally released it after all those years.

Holiday greetings to you, Smilin' Ed!  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:27:04 PM »

1977. Recorded after the change

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:03:31 PM »

1977. Recorded after the change

The vocal itself was recorded in '77 I'm pretty sure, but I do recall that the backing track is actually from '75 or so, and not originally intended as a seasonal number.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 03:23:43 PM »

I love it too!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »

Love it. I'd be sad if anyone didn't. Did Brian record this for a specific album or was it just an idea to jot down?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 01:21:23 AM »

To you too, Mikie!

Thought the music was written in 74 and the lyrics came later. Pretty sure the track was from 77 because a student at MIU played the fluglehorn on it - or maybe that was just added then.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 03:57:29 AM »

Vocals were done in 77 and don't sound that different from Brian's voice on other MIU tracks.  His voice was about as good as it would ever get post 1973.
Nicko1234
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 04:09:01 AM »

Yep, I agree this is a really nice one.

Will definitely dig it out again in December.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »

I beat you to it, and dug it out earlier this week. For the record, it appears the whole track was recorded at MIU, as it's on the list of songs recorded with the core BBs band on Nov. 15 (along with two other outtakes - "Our Team" and "How's About A Little Bit"), with the horns added on Nov. 21 and Nov. 22.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 07:00:45 AM »

I beat you to it, and dug it out earlier this week. For the record, it appears the whole track was recorded at MIU, as it's on the list of songs recorded with the core BBs band on Nov. 15 (along with two other outtakes - "Our Team" and "How's About A Little Bit"), with the horns added on Nov. 21 and Nov. 22.

Hmm. So you're saying that it wasn't originally tracked in '75 like the liner notes said? Interesting.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 08:23:48 AM »

When were the lyrics written? I thought they were done especially for the (non) album
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »

Well, I know the tracking to Winter Symphony was done in 1974 or '75. I thought the vocal was done too, but maybe I was thinking of Child Of Winter. I thought his vocal sounded a little clearer. Better pull out the disc for next month's playdom....

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 11:48:50 AM »

Well, I know the tracking to Winter Symphony was done in 1974 or '75.

C-man would know, and it appears that's not true.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2014, 12:04:18 PM »

Well, I know the tracking to Winter Symphony was done in 1974 or '75.

C-man would know, and it appears that's not true.

Good of you for giving him props, though. Well-deserved.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:02:01 PM by Mikie » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx