gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:17:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God Only Knows (Brian solo music video)  (Read 3115 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2014, 04:10:30 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCYw3HrtXAQ

Found this while browsing the Youtubes, looks like it was only put up a few days ago.  Some footage of Brian recording his vocal track for his solo version of God Only Knows in the studio.

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »

That was excellent.  The shirt though!!!   Embarrassed   At any rate what I admire and love about that is the fact that Brian and HIS crew can reproduce THAT level of performance live on stage.  The other gang?  Maybe not quite to as lofty a plateau.  [that was pretty nicely said wasn't it?]

Since the post Landy comeback Brian's voice has continued to get stronger and truer to the notes.  There are still certain things he should step aside and let someone else sing [as he did with the Beach Boys every inch of the way] but by and large...the guy just amazes me endlessly.

I have LONG thought, and it has never been confirmed in any way shape or form, that a MAIN reason why Brian stopped touring and didn't want to perform with the Beach Boys all those decades ago was because they [and the backing musicians] couldn't deliver the level of performace Brian could [with musical assiastance] in the studio.  I just kind of saw Brian thinking to himself that if his creations couldn't be performed the way he heard them and wanted them done that he wasn't going to participate.

Maybe I'm dead wrong...but now that his music is being presented and performed that specific way he's there like a dirty shirt.  [there's that shirt thing again]

Anyway...thanks for the video.  Well worth the listen.  REALLY well done.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:41:24 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 05:19:51 PM »

that is FUCKING Great!!!!!   the ol' boy still has it!!  

what a 'ripper' version from Bri!

This needs a release somewhere..... somehow!! someway!!  Killer cover of one of his own great tunes....

Brian Wilson is still the man...... is this new? or is this from the 'what love can do' period???......

what is the Go with this clip and song?

RickB
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:25:17 PM by Rick Bartlett » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 05:22:21 PM »

It is available on Amazon and iTunes. It truly is a wonderful mix!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:34:36 PM »

This is overwhelming! To imagine him doing all kinds of justice to his song is none other than truly heartwarming while giving shivers at the same time. Any recording date here? Does it come on the heels of The Voice performance? Thank you, Rocky!! Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 05:37:30 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 05:53:12 PM »

It's from 2007, from a compilation called What Love Can Do produced by the late great Phil Ramone.  Brian also recorded the title song for the album which he co-wrote with Burt Bacharach.  It's one of his best latter day songs if you've never heard it.  There's a video for that one too.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8A_J4KSvRg

You can download both songs from iTunes here.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/what-love-can-do-god-only/id331220449
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:14:33 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »

Ha. I mentioned this last week under the 'The Voice' thread just in case I was an idiot and had missed it from 2007. I guess I now have my answer. LOL

As I also said, the high profile of late makes a perfect marketing opportunity.

Oh....Just remembered that 'Big Love' first aired in 06 so the original was getting weekly plays on TV at the time.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:44:35 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Gregg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »

Wow, that almost brought a tear to my eye that was so beautiful!

God bless Brian Wilson.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:59:34 PM by zatch » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 09:49:17 PM »

Good and heartfelt vocal by Brian - but this BBC version found at the side of it baffled me more, both by the visuals and the sheer amount of people on there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIeWWgmLbY4

While I can only identify the older artists on there, most youngshters with no Beach Boys knowledge will probably think "Who's that autotuned old guy at the end?" Brian's vocal on the solo version this thread is originally about is much better.

Still, this version gives the big respect to Brian's great composition it deserves. Even if there are some things in it I don't like that much, so much effort was put into this, what you wouldn't do if the song wasn't so great. When was this one made?

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »

Good and heartfelt vocal by Brian - but this BBC version found at the side of it baffled me more, both by the visuals and the sheer amount of people on there:

While I can only identify the older artists on there, most youngshters with no Beach Boys knowledge will probably think "Who's that autotuned old guy at the end?" Brian's vocal on the solo version this thread is originally about is much better.

Still, this version gives the big respect to Brian's great composition it deserves. Even if there are some things in it I don't like that much, so much effort was put into this, what you wouldn't do if the song wasn't so great. When was this one made?

Very recent Micha:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18368.0.html

“We live in divisive times.”
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:07 PM »

Very recent Micha:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,18368.0.html

Wow, 14 pages! OK, I was kind of very busy at the time that thread started... thanks for leading me there. Embarrassed

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »

Who remembers that huge debate about the original teaser promo video of this recording regarding the last one or two seconds?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 11:51:13 AM »

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,3479.msg59483.html#msg59483

Feels like I've been around these parts for such a long time now.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx