gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:49:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Lennon & Paul McCartney Talk Maharishi, Beach Boys on TV, May 68 (audio)  (Read 22297 times)
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »

There was definitely Beatlemania still evident, even when George was in Paris sometime in 1970 for a non-music event that he was simply attending, he was instantly mobbed and became the center of attention.  Much to his dismay of course.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 09:15:02 AM by Ram4 » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »

What is funny is that Johnny Carson was undoubtedly told that his staff had managed to book John and Paul-surely the biggest guests you could get on your show in 1968 and he refused to break his plans to be there for the appearance! I liked Johnny but it illustrates why many rock and rollers felt it was a really square show-Johnny could care less.  Neil Young refused to appear on the show with Buffalo Springfield in 67 because he felt it was a square show.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 09:57:29 AM »

I wanted to touch on the "money" issue a bit, related to some of what was going on with the Maharishi at this time, and possibly related (or not) to the Beach Boys tour, film projects, and other interests. I'll try to keep it brief (well, that usually fails miserably)   Wink   although a book chapter or two could be written about some of these things.

I'm going to suggest quite a bit of the events in 1968 centered around money, plain and simple, and possibly larger goals for the Maharishi and the TM organization he was leading. Without covering every detail, consider these and see if there are connections which can be made to possibly shed more light on the how's and why's of some of these events in '68.

- The Beatles. In 1967 they had also "discovered" the Maharishi through one of his lectures, which they attended and after which they began publicly touting and appearing at other TM-related events. This, as we know, was to culminate in them spending a three-month retreat in India at the Maharishi's TM compound, originally scheduled from Feb 3 1968 to April 25 1968 (keep in mind the last date scheduled for the Beach Boys April '68 tour was a make-up show on April 24).

As the press even in '67 picked up on the Beatles and other assorted celebrities and musicians following the Maharishi and his lecture events, naturally a lot of attention got focused on the Maharishi and TM in general. What I don't think the Beatles realized going into the deal was that the Maharishi was as much the head of a large corporation-like business and media structure as he was a simple religious man, and toward his goal of spreading the word of TM he had in place a structure of marketing, publicity, business, and multimedia designed to promote his message.

Among those pursuits was a film project which the Maharishi had in the works, and which as 1967 rolled into 1968 he was actively shopping and negotiating to have it shown. The Beatles were in the formative planning stages of Apple Corps, and among the ventures through Apple there was to be an Apple Films division. There were reports that the Maharishi had various plans to try to get Apple Films on board as a backer for his film project.

Note: Keep in mind the Beach Boys also had plans as early as fall 1966 to have a films division of Brother Records as that corporate structure was being plotted out.

So the Maharishi and his various marketers, accountants, and negotiators were trying to shop this unfinished TM film project to media outlets. They were in talks with ABC in America to broadcast the film when it was completed, and it was being "sold" to ABC using the celebrity factor. The Maharishi sales team was all but promising ABC that The Beatles would be appearing in this film, along with possibly other celebrity TM followers, but the Beatles were the big draw, the carrot at the end of the stick.

However, the Beatles themselves had never agreed to appear in or endorse a TM film project. They sent Peter Brown, one of Apple's business execs, to meet with the Maharishi and explain that he had to stop promising a Beatle appearance in his film, and to stop using the Beatles in general to promote or sell anything he was shopping around. According to Brown, the Maharishi basically giggled and Brown left thinking it was a done deal.

Soon after, the Apple offices apparently were contacted again by ABC in the US asking for confirmation that the Beatles would be part of this TM film project they were negotiating to buy and broadcast. The sh*t hit the fan, and Brown actually traveled to one of the Maharishi's events with George and Paul with him to tell the Maharishi to stop using their name to plug a project.

Then they travel to India, planned to last Feb 3 1968 to April 25 1968. The details of that are available many places, but one point to consider is that when they arrived, they were surprised to see the Maharishi's compound looking more like a modern business office complex than a traditional, simple meditation ashram. There was a heliport, modern offices, and various plans surrounding a film/TV studio, multimedia projects, etc. And there were various men around the Maharishi who were basically the corporate officers...negotiators, accountants, multimedia and PR staff, etc.

- Side note: My comments above on this as well as John and Paul's words on the Tonight Show were directed to this element. The Beatles very openly wanted to "escape" the celebrity scene and the corporate dealings with Apple and EMI and whatnot, and the place which promised an escape turned out to be not unlike EMI or Apple. They escaped into the same scene, basically, which they were escaping from.

So there is the ABC television situation which the Beatles vetoed strongly, but there is still a TM film project being shopped around and which Apple was hoped to be a financial backer of, through the planned Apple Films division.

And beyond that, a bigger issue. The exact details are scattered around and are not specific point-by-point, but several sources report that a deal was at least on the table which would have The Beatles pledging a sum of their income which depending on the source ranged from 10 percent to 25 percent of their yearly income as The Beatles into a Swiss bank account controlled by the Maharishi and his corporate interests.

10 to 25 percent of the Beatles yearly income in 1968 was a massive sum of money. This point was also one of the tipping points in the Beatles breaking away from the Maharishi once this information got out among their associates. No way would they be pledging that kind of money to the Maharishi or TM. That fell through, as did the India trip in general.

Enter the Beach Boys. They still had in early '68 a cache, industry clout, and were one of the most successful bands in the US up to that point. They also had a fledgling corporate structure which was a precursor to Apple, which had plans on the books for a Brother Films division of the company. Brother Films...Apple Films...see the possible connection.

Obviously we know Mike dove headfirst into the study of TM, and agreed to spend a few weeks in India studying alongside the Beatles and the other celebrities present for that session. He would leave early to be in the US for the planned April '68 tour, as mentioned above. The session in India, again, was to last Feb 3 to April 25...was that a coincidence that the session in India was originally scheduled to end within a day of the Beach Boys April tour of the South ending? Then the next week, the Maharishi would be hitting the road with the Beach Boys as "The GURU" on the tour in May '68.

Assuming the TM film deal concerning The Beatles was off the table, consider some information that came from Nick Grillo. Mike wanted an advance or a loan through the BB's structure to fund a film about the Maharishi and TM, looking to draw money from future royalty payments on their recordings and possibly other sources as collateral. That was not successful, even to the point where Mike sent a letter to the head of Capitol Records demanding such a loan to fund this film project. Again, it did not happen, and according to Grillo the news was not received graciously by Mike. Then the May '68 tour debacle, which cost the band a load of money and made news for being a flop.

Summing it up: There was the Maharishi using the Beatles celebrity power as leverage to broker a deal for his planned film on TM. He wanted to strike a deal with Apple Films to back, promote, and produce a TM film. He was also banking on celebrities as famous worldwide as the Beatles to advertise and promote himself and his ventures, lectures, film, multimedia, etc. He also was banking on a deal which would have The Beatles giving him a percentage of their annual revenue into his Swiss bank account, again at a sum rumored between 10% and 25% of their income. That all literally fell apart the day John and George left the ashram in India in April 1968.

Now put the Beach Boys into the equation. They had some plans for a film division at Brother dating back to fall 1966...could the TM film find some backing there? Nick Grillo says Mike specifically requested funding for a TM film, which was denied both through Brother and despite a request made directly to the head of Capitol for a loan based on future royalty income. The Maharishi was looking for a "vehicle" through celebrities and what seemed to be famous rock musicians to promote his ventures and TM in general. He had the Beatles on board for a period of time, his exposure and business exploded into the media. People knew who he was, if the Beatles are into this, the fans would check it out too.

The Beatles connection collapsed...but here was a Beach Boys opportunity. One member is interested in funding a film project, the band has a corporate structure being developed, they have income through sales and royalties, and most of all related to 1968...

...They had plans to go on tour with the Maharishi. Did the Maharishi know that the BB's popularity was starting to "wane", or that their sales were not what they were in previous years? They still had some clout, they were still touring, and here was a chance to tour with a rock band in America and reach those concert-going young fans with the TM message and lectures. Not to mention whatever business deals, contract guarantees, and the like were signed ahead of time.

Consider the Maharishi was in it for the money as much as any band agrees to a concert tour with the ultimate goal being to make a profit for their work. I think the feelings were mutual, the Maharishi had but lost the Beatles as his main champions and promotional trump cards, but he also had a band who was the most successful in the US up to that point willing to offer a headline spot on a tour, ready to promote his messages and methods, and potentially willing to help bankroll a film project which the Beatles had backed out of.

Mutual benefit, at least on paper. Parallel between The Beatles and The Beach Boys regarding what the visibility and success of those bands could offer the Maharishi and his goals related to spreading the word of TM across the globe. Something to consider.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 01:19:30 PM »

Really interesting background and analysis, GF.  I had no idea that Maharishi had such a well developed commercial organization and PR team in place prior to the Beatles trip to India.  Like most people around then, I'd never heard of Maharishi or ™ until the Beatles, along with Mike, etc went to India.  (Can't get my spell checker to refrain from changing the letters "™" to the trademark symbol ™!)

Man, I'd love to hear a concert recording of one of Maharishi's lectures prior to the BBs performance.  Approximately how long did he speak?  Did Mike meet any resistance selling this concept to the other guys?  Did anyone realize ahead of time that a lecture from an Indian guru with a high pitched, difficult to understand voice really made no sense coupled with a rock n roll concert?  And if it actually did take place, that the lecture should last about three minutes, max, prior to the BBs appearing?  And I'd still like to know why Maharishi received top billing, as well as the percentage of the proceeds he was to receive.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 01:20:30 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »

Fantastic post/thread!

THIS is why I love this board so much Smiley

All things considered, that tour is one I really would have loved to have seen ....... For some reason, the Friends/white suit era is a fave of mine.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 02:44:18 PM by Pinder Goes To Kokomo » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »

Really interesting background and analysis, GF.  I had no idea that Maharishi had such a well developed commercial organization and PR team in place prior to the Beatles trip to India.  Like most people around then, I'd never heard of Maharishi or ™ until the Beatles, along with Mike, etc went to India.  (Can't get my spell checker to refrain from changing the letters "™" to the trademark symbol ™!)

Man, I'd love to hear a concert recording of one of Maharishi's lectures prior to the BBs performance.  Approximately how long did he speak?  Did Mike meet any resistance selling this concept to the other guys?  Did anyone realize ahead of time that a lecture from an Indian guru with a high pitched, difficult to understand voice really made no sense coupled with a rock n roll concert?  And if it actually did take place, that the lecture should last about three minutes, max, prior to the BBs appearing?  And I'd still like to know why Maharishi received top billing, as well as the percentage of the proceeds he was to receive.

Dennis Wilson seemed to support it in an interview in 1974

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »

If you look in my book under the December 15 1967 unicef show listing you will see that I have interviews with Carl, al, Dennis and mike expressing how impressed they all initially were by Maharishi. Only Bruce never got into it.  The Wilsons all meditated for awhile but didn't have the discipline of mike and al
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2014, 01:51:24 AM »

If you look in my book under the December 15 1967 unicef show listing you will see that I have interviews with Carl, al, Dennis and mike expressing how impressed they all initially were by Maharishi. Only Bruce never got into it.  The Wilsons all meditated for awhile but didn't have the discipline of mike and al

Just reread that page, Ian.  Yes, the BBs talk about how impressed they are with the Maharishi and TM back in late 1967.  I'm still curious, though, if all the guys (or all of 'em except Bruce) felt a tour with Maharishi as their opening act (speaking for what? 30 minutes non-stop or longer?) was a good idea.  Also wonder if they knew ahead of time that the advertising posters would give the Maharishi top billing.

Magic Transistor Radio - Do you recall the source of that 1974 interview?  Did Dennis basically say he supported the idea of Maharishi touring with the BBs back in 1968?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:59:30 AM by Custom Machine » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2014, 03:54:26 AM »

well…I recall that in Billy Hinsche's 74 tour documentary-Dennis is discussing meditation on the plane with Al Jardine.  Perhaps that is the reference-I haven't watched it in a while, so can't recall what he says.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2014, 05:42:47 AM »

I'm guessing that in a corporation of 4 or 5 members (not sure of Al's actual status in the corporation at the time) more than one of them had to think it was a good idea.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2014, 06:01:42 AM »

well…I recall that in Billy Hinsche's 74 tour documentary-Dennis is discussing meditation on the plane with Al Jardine.  Perhaps that is the reference-I haven't watched it in a while, so can't recall what he says.

IIRC Dennis was praising EST while Alan was talking about TM in that scene.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2014, 07:49:13 AM »

According to Henry Lewy and his wife Brian had been some sort of certified TM instructor since late 66 with a ceremony and certificate and everything.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2014, 08:40:39 AM »

Makes sense since Brian mentioned in a 1968 interview that he'd previously been introduced to tm but than had forgotten about it till the bbs took him to nyc in January 1968 to meet Maharishi
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

According to Henry Lewy and his wife Brian had been some sort of certified TM instructor since late 66 with a ceremony and certificate and everything.

Makes sense since Brian mentioned in a 1968 interview that he'd previously been introduced to tm but than had forgotten about it till the bbs took him to nyc in January 1968 to meet Maharishi

I think there are some pieces of information getting mixed up or misstated here regarding Henry Lewy, Brian, and meditation. This is taken from Michael Vosse's fall 1966 Teen Set article on Brian:

A long and arduous session is underway at Western. A brief break is called and as the musicians file out for coffee, Brian huddles in a corner talking to engineer Henry Lewy who is on a break from Association's session down the hall. In a few weeks Henry will leave for India for six months of study under a great religious teacher. Brian has been attending discussion classes at Henry's house.

"Meditation is an important part of my life now. It is a great source of peace and energy." Brian has recently built a meditation tent filling a whole room of his large house. The tent is an oval with a puffed ceiling all made from a beautiful red and gold Indian print fabric.

Henry and his wife Nadine were in fact followers of TM and the Maharishi and would hold discussion groups in their home, as Vosse described. But how does Brian attending discussion classes at Lewy's house turn into Brian becoming a certified TM instructor complete with a ceremony? Brian was also interested in Subud at the same time, and one gossip-column blurb at the time even mentioned him working on Subud prayer music, and the article notably mis-spelled Subud and called the group "the Subdubs".

Keep in mind as well that in 1966 and 1967 there are published reports of Brian entertaining and investigating any number of spiritual pursuits, philosophies, and religions, among them astrology, numerology, the I Ching, the Christian Bible, the Bhaghavad Gita, the Tibetan Book of The Dead, Zen Buddhism, Subud, various Eastern forms mysticism and philosophical writings, various Western forms of mysticism and philosophy, and the more traditional method of he and Carl holding prayer sessions before recording songs like God Only Knows. Not unlike any number of college-age or early-20's guys in 1966 exploring many different forms of philosophy/spirituality and their practices seeking enlightenment.

If Brian Wilson had attended a discussion on meditation at fellow producer Lewy's house, it would be in line with any number of lectures and discussions or gatherings he may have attended that focused on any of the areas mentioned above, but that's a whole different scene than saying he was qualified to teach any of those things.

I guess I'm asking two things:

Objectively to Cam, what is the source of Henry Lewy thinking Brian got certified as a TM instructor with ceremony in 1966?

Subjectively, does it make sense logically if Brian in 1966 had learned and studied TM to such a degree that he was certified to teach others the practices and methods, that he would only have gotten his own "eye-may-mah" personal mantra in January 1968 when he and the band flew to New York to attend a lecture? I'd suggest a follower of any spiritual or religious practice would receive one of the key elements of that spiritual practice and ritual, especially if he/she were a certified instructor, well before they were certified to teach others. So your meditation teacher tells you to meditate and repeat a personal and private mantra, and that teacher himself hasn't received one of his own and won't for over a year? That doesn't make sense. Or maybe it does and I'm just too logical sometimes.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »

It was told to me on the phone by Henry Lewy and his wife. I used to actually talk to people and I took notes but I can't promise I'll find them. I remember Marilyn took the classes at the Lewy's home too and the Lewys told me where the "graduation" took place. It was like a downtown LA auditorium or civic center. I'll see what I can find.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2014, 07:21:10 PM »

A little disjointed and repetitive but here is what I could find so far:

Nadine Lewy conducted TM [may have been called Deep Meditation instead of TM at that time] introductory lectures in their home in Laurel Canyon. In the Fall of 1966, at Henry’s invitation, all 6 Beach Boys attend the first of seven lectures. Only Brian and Marilyn returned for the remaining six lectures. There were 7 introductory lectures required at the time, Nadine held the remaining 6 classes mostly for BW/MW. Following the introductory lectures was one personal interview, followed by one personal instruction session, followed by three sessions on consecutive days of verification and validation. The lectures and sessions were held 1 or 2 a week and were completed in about 6 to 10 weeks.
Nadine thinks she remembers Brian bringing non-Beach Boys to a few lectures, the Maharishi encouraged classes for no less than 5 students, so BW would invite friends and associates and their partners making classes of 5 to 12 students usually. She had the impression that Brian “had many influences around him at the time”. She remembers Brian as very interested, participating in lectures, a good student and very sweet.

At the end of the lectures and sessions [6 to 10 weeks], Brian and Marilyn were given instruction and initiated into TM. Brian and Marilyn were instructed at a meeting hall which catered to ballet and vocal lessons on 6th St. between Western and Vermont, probably on a Saturday possibly by an elderly lady by the name of Buelah Smith (she has since died). Ms. Smith would drive up from San Diego on Saturdays to give instruction to initiates. After instruction no further lessons are taken and initiate is on his own with only an occasional visit from an instructor to “check up”.
Nadine remembers that at the Wilson’s initiation, another elderly lady was helping with flowers etc. and while the Wilson’s were waiting the lady made small talk about “good vibrations”. Nadine believes this lady was not familiar with the record or even with who Brian was, it was just a random comment. However Brian seemed “flustered” by the coincidence. [Nadine Lewy 12/1/98]

Henry Lewy and Brian and the Beach Boys were acquaintances through sessions at Western where he was an engineer. The Boys had asked Henry how he was able to handle everything he had to do so well. He told them he was practicing TM. They were interested. Henry had invited the Beach Boys to his wife’s Transcendental Meditation classes at their home. He does not remember when that was except it was 1966, but Henry associated his invitation with Brian playing him an tape of unfinished Good Vibrations (with Theremin). All the Beach Boys attended the first class but only Brian and Marilyn continued to attend. Henry and his wife left for their study with the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in India in Jan. ’67. Henry and Nadine left for India in early January 1967 arriving in India on the 9th or 10th. After India they continued on an around the world trek returning in June ’67. A few days after their return, Herb Alpert hired Henry away from Western to work at A&M Records. [Henry Lewy 12/1/98]

Later Henry and wife were also in attendance with the Beatles and Beach Boys at the Dec. 15 ’67 encounter with the Maharishi in Paris. [Henry Lewy 11/11/98]

Nadine Lewy remembers tagging along on one of Brian and Marilyn’s check ups at their home on Bellagio Rd. in BelAir. [Nadine Lewy 12/1/98]

I also found related notes regarding TM.

Tony Asher told me that regarding TM “I didn't discuss the subject more than once or twice, briefly, with Brian. Perhaps more with Loren, but not particularly at his parties.”  [11/12/98]

Also VDP told me “I met Henry Lewy (the engineer) many times. I liked him alot---always cheerful and encouraging everyone. They don't get nicer. I never met Nadine, I don't believe.” [1/9/99] I guess maybe he was not one who attended Nadine's lectures.

I haven’t found it yet but my memory is Nadine said the Wilsons were then lecturer/instructors who would give lessons in their home and that was why there were the home check ups she mentioned. I don’t know that much about TM’s practices of that time.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »

I wanted to address and discuss these latest posts in two parts, please bear with me and hopefully some new or at least interesting information will come out of it...  Wink

First, a big thanks to Cam for finding and posting those notes from your previous conversations and exchanges with Henry and Nadine Lewy about TM. Very interesting, very good reading and information. Much appreciated.  Smiley

That is the first part of the two I want to address and add to, the next will be the connections with Subud.

What the Lewys were describing was some of the earlier attempts to spread the word of TM in the USA, and that older lady mentioned by Mrs. Lewy, Beulah Smith, was indeed listed as the first certified "teacher" or instructor of TM in the United States. She had learned the program, and would be hired to teach it to other interested people. Based in California, she would travel to various locations, usually rented hotels, halls, rooms, etc, to teach the TM courses in a very specific way.

That is an important thing to note: TM was set up as a very specific and structured course, which was to be taught and learned in a very controlled way. The instructors who were certified were given very specific, almost step-by-step instructions on how the program was to be taught and presented, from individual "lessons" to bigger lectures and introductions via seminars and speeches.

Think of it like any training program in any field: Everything from sales training, to the Bob Ross method of oil painting, to owning a fast-food franchise. The students are presented with a very controlled and detailed course of instruction, created so the results were the same no matter which instructor was teaching the course.

Beulah Smith was the first in the US, certified to be a "teacher", as mentioned. But as interest started to spread, there was a need for more outlets and a greater reach. There was specific interest in and around Los Angeles, specifically on campuses like UCLA and Berkeley, which led directly to the formation of the "Students International Meditation Society", or SIMS, a higher-profile version of the International Meditation Society.

These are perhaps the names which would have been more recognizable to someone interested in 1965 or 1966, as these were the places you would contact or visit if you were interested in the Maharishi or Transcendental Meditation, or if you had heard about them. I think more folks may have known the SIMS offshoots via college campuses rather than knowing it by TM, which would become more well-known in late '67 with media and celebrity connections and interest.

***Important to note. There are reports that the Students International Meditation Society kept very detailed and careful records on who was signing up for the courses as well as who was being "certified" to act as instructors starting in 1965, when Beulah and a few others were spreading out to college campuses through SIMS. I mention this because it stands to reason, as a pretty big possibility (and I bold this) that if Brian and Marilyn Wilson were studying and being certified through one of these channels as early as 1966, there were and are written records of it which probably still exist and could be accessed today. Interesting, right? It would definitely be proof either way of whatever we're discussing.

Now I'd like to add on a few details about those early days of TM, the Maharishi, and everything leading up to what the Lewys told Cam about 1966, Mike Love and the Beatles traveling to an ashram in India, and the whole ball of wax.

The Maharishi made some important connections through very wealthy benefactors and celebrities who could get him and his message into Hollywood circles in the late 50's and early 60's, when he first began his quest as a developed and scripted "methodology" of teaching his type of meditation techniques in a formalized way.

One of his benefactors was a woman once called "the wealthiest woman in the world", a tobacco heiress named Doris Duke. Doris Duke was a media figure, a wealthy giver to many causes, basically one of those mega-millionaire figures like a modern Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, or Richard Branson who made headlines doing any number of activities and attending events.

Doris Duke had given the Maharishi a gift by funding the construction of his ashram and compound in India. This was the same compound which Mike Love, The Beatles, and friends traveled to in Feb. 1968, the one that struck several Beatles as more modern (complete with helicopter port and broadcast facilities) than they had assumed it would be. So all of those photos and film of them in India was taken at the compound funded by tobacco heiress Doris Duke.

Further...factor in a woman named Nancy Cooke de Herrera. Another socialite, known to the media and whatnot, it was Nancy Cooke who had apparently introduced Doris Duke to the Maharishi, which led to the funding of the ashram. Nancy Cooke was the woman who acted as the Beatles' personal guide and almost like a valet in some cases when they arrived in India, showing them around and taking care of various arrangements.

Nancy Cooke was there with her son, Richard Cooke III, who was called Rik and was then attending college. It was Rik and his mother's excursion that led to a tiger being shot on a hunt that was the foundation of John Lennon's song "The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill" ('went out tiger hunting with his elephant and gun, in case of accident he'd always take his mum'...that was Nancy and Rik Cooke at the ashram in India). Nancy Cooke in a recent memoir called "All You Need Is Love" talks all about this era, as well as Richard having a blog where he mentions it too, as he is a photographer of note. Apparently Lennon was the one who didn't hit it off too well with the Cookes in India.

This is a photo of Nancy Cooke de Herrera (second from left) with the Beatles and Donovan in India:

And this is a direct link to Richard "Rik" Cooke III's blog post about that specific tiger hunt, complete with photo:
http://www.thealohabear.com/bungalow-bill-the-real-story/

And here is the photo of Rik after the tiger hunt immortalized by Lennon, if his blog allows remote image links:

So factoring in the Lewys, go back the very early exposure of the Maharishi through socialite Nancy Cooke de Herrera, who connected him and TM to the tobacco heiress Doris Duke who funded his ashram where Mike and the Beatles studied in 1968, then factor in Duke, Cooke, and Hollywood figures like Efrem Zimbalist Jr. in the early 60's...they spread the word of Maharishi and connected interested followers to the instructor Beulah Smith, who had trained the Lewys as instructors, and this leads to the Students International Meditation Society showing up on the UC Berkeley campus sometime around 1965, and reached into UCLA as well, then into downtown LA where rooms and halls were rented to Beulah's instructors who would do the training.

If it reached out to Brian and Marilyn Wilson as early as 1966, based on that bit of info I listed above, there would be a record of it which if the record keeping had been as detailed and meticulous as described, someone would be able to go beyond the words of the Lewys and actually see the Wilsons (and the Beach Boys) names in a ledger somewhere, maintained by SIMS or an offshoot.

But the next part of my post will touch on another spiritual pursuit of Brian's at this same time which leads to questions about what exactly was happening specific to 1966 and who was involved.

And I'd also suggest, again subjectively, that it seems like a direct conflict of memories to have the Lewy version of events saying the Beach Boys had attended a meditation session with Brian and Marilyn as early as 1966, and had a brother who was grandfathered into the practice by the Lewys and Beulah Smith, yet almost *every* report from the Beach Boys themselves seems to suggest the first exposure they had to TM was when they saw the Maharishi in Paris while doing shows there in 1967, then taking Brian to meet him in New York.

If their own brother and de facto "leader" of the group was a certified TM follower since 1966, why did each of them seem to suggest they didn't learn of it until that Maharishi lecture later in '67? Did they all forget?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »

What are the Boys' quotes about meeting the Maha and TM?

I have no idea about the presumed contradictions but according to my notes Nadine pointed out that TM may have been known by another name at the time of the Wilson's initiation so that's a possibility maybe. Also was there always such a cult of personality around the Maha like there was in '68 or were thousands initiated in the mid-60s without knowing much or anything about him?

Nadine was saying the Wilsons were verified and validated so I suggest you pursue those records you mention to verify or not the Lewys memory of the Wilson's initiation.

I don't understand what you mean by "grandfathered in" in that context.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2014, 02:00:53 PM »

Transcendental Meditation was the name for the methods either developed or practiced by the Maharishi as early as the 1950's when he first started becoming known for the practice. No matter what the actual courses were called or what groups like SIMS were offering on campuses like Berkeley in the mid 60's, the methodology being taught by those certified instructors like Beulah Smith and the Lewys was still called Transcendental Meditation, and the Maharishi was the key figure, the father in all that surrounded it. He was the #1, key figure and the most visible as well. And that was the case going back to the time when Doris Duke was introduced to him and gifted the money for him to build the ashram in India, which was to be the primary headquarters for teaching the Maharishi's methods of Transcendental Meditation. The teachers went through the process of becoming certified to teach and lecture to interested parties, but it all focused on what was started by the Maharishi.

As far as the "grandfathered" term, what I mean by that is first we have Nadine Lewy reporting that Brian, Marilyn, AND the other Beach Boys went to a session with her to learn or be introduced to TM. She reported that only Brian and Marilyn came back after that to finish the courses, which would suggest Brian would have had at least a working knowledge of the TM practices if the 1966 dates are correct since he had officially "graduated" with Marilyn.

Yet, and short of finding each and every quote specific to the Maharishi from the other Beach Boys, if you read any or every source of Beach Boys history going back to Byron Preiss, the quotes from any of the Beach Boys read as if they had just "discovered" TM when they heard the Maharishi lecture in Paris, including Mike and Dennis specifically. Again, check Preiss' book or any other BB's history for exact quotes.

What sticks out to me is most importantly, if they had a brother in Brian who had finished the course of study for practicing TM through the Lewys and Beulah Smith as early as 1966, and those same band members had gone with Brian to that session with the Lewys in 1966, why do their quotes not mention Brian's involvement with TM? Why do their quotes not mention that they had been to a TM session over a year before they saw the Maharishi lecture in late '67, and beyond that why do they act as if the first time they were introduced to TM was at that lecture?

I'm speculating and suggesting that if brother/cousin/bandmate Brian had been through a course study and had completed a course in TM which was marked by a ceremony, that those other band members would not have acted as if the Maharishi lecture in 1967 was the first time they had been exposed to TM, because according to Lewy they were there with Brian in 1966 and would have known he had gotten the ceremony after finishing the course they chose not to finish as he did.

It's just one part of the timeline and history which does not add up, considering Nadine specifically said the Beach Boys were there with Brian and Marilyn and were introduced to TM over a year before their comments later would suggest. Again, did all of them including Brian simply forget they had attended TM courses in 1966?

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 02:23:02 PM »

Was TM not also known as Deep Meditation and/or Spiritual Rejuvenation?

See if you can get those records that might settle the important part. Or maybe someone could ask Brian (on his Facebook?) if he remembers being instructed by the Lewys and initiated by Buelah Smith? Or he and the Boys attending the one lecture together at the Lewys?

Someone could also try asking Mike and Al on their Facebook if they remember attending the lecture at the Lewys.

If the Lewys were mistaken I'll still tip my hat to them for such an elaborate and detailed false memory.

Later: I found a few quotes about TM but they seem to be about meeting and being with the Maha not about not hearing of Meditation before Paris. I'll keep looking.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 02:42:22 PM by Cam Mott » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2014, 03:14:47 PM »

I've got to say, it seems quite likely given what we know about Brian in 1966 that he did attend TM classes. Did he graduate? I'll forgive the instructors if they decorate their memories a bit.

The rest of the stuff might not line up exactly, but I think it's kind of pointless to expect it to, especially after all this time. The rest of the guys may have attended a class, but not registered it as TM -- simply another one of Brian's weird things (of which there were many during this period).

And Brian himself has never been a particularly reliable narrator of his own life, in any era.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2014, 03:26:23 PM »

Was TM not also known as Deep Meditation and/or Spiritual Rejuvenation?

See if you can get those records that might settle the important part. Or maybe someone could ask Brian (on his Facebook?) if he remembers being instructed by the Lewys and initiated by Buelah Smith? Or he and the Boys attending the one lecture together at the Lewys?

Someone could also try asking Mike and Al on their Facebook if they remember attending the lecture at the Lewys.

If the Lewys were mistaken I'll still tip my hat to them for such an elaborate and detailed false memory.

Later: I found a few quotes about TM but they seem to be about meeting and being with the Maha not about not hearing of Meditation before Paris. I'll keep looking.

Cam, let me say first that I'm not trying to suggest anything about Nadine and Henry Lewy's memories of introducing TM to Brian and the Beach Boys, and if that was implied I wasn't trying to do that. I have no doubt as I've said in an earlier post here that Brian was exploring various outlets for spirituality, religion, and philosophy at this eact time (1966-67), and we have documented examples of that. What stood out for me, and I want to restate this, is that based on subsequent interviews through the years the impression given by band members suggests they were "introduced" to the TM practices in Paris in 1967 when they went to see the Maharishi. Is it the way they said it, is it the wording they used? I'm just trying to rectify or clarify that part of the timeline which doesn't seem to fit.

Again, if they had a brother and bandmate in Brian who had been introduced to TM through the Lewys and Beulah Smith as early as 1966, and according to Nadine the Beach Boys (whichever members) were there for at least one session, why do they speak as if their introduction was in Paris 1967? Nadine and Beulah were teaching and demonstrating the same methods as Maharishi would have shown the band members in Paris, so why act as if they were being introduced to it if Brian and Marilyn had been there and done that as early as 1966? If one or several other Beach Boys went along with Brian to meet the Lewys in 1966, that was their introduction to the practice, and I'm sure the others heard about it through their fellow bandmates.

Here are examples, print and video, to consider:

1980's Mike Love interview, skip to 3:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ318QInrUg

2011-ish Mike Love interview, skip to 5:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQR4vHjR-CA#t=320

Here is a post from Mike on Facebook:
"Yesterday was the 30th Anniversary of my cousin, Dennis' sad passing. This date in December always brings to mind so many memories, good and not so good. For myself I prefer to remember the good and great times like fishing together off th...e Redondo Beach Breakwater, or racing his corvette and my XKE late night coming home from the Cinnamon Cinder after a show in Long Beach at over a hundred miles per hour. We shared an apartment together in Hermosa Beach were we had many a parties, in fact, there were parties in our apartment when we weren't even there! Dennis was a ball of energy! His powerful drumming back beat lives on till this day every night during our performances. The positive contributions Dennis made to group are to be honored and remembered. Not everyone knows this, but Dennis was the one who called me to come back to Paris from London to be taught Transcendental Meditation by Maharishi...in later years, even when he'd been drinking, when we found ourselves together, Dennis would often say "Hey Mike, Let's meditate" During my last few meditations, I have said extra prayers for Dennis, that his soul has found the happiness that eluded him while here on earth......Sail On Sailor.............ML"

Here is a quote from Al:
""We performed with all the greatest of stars in the world and… The Beatles and the maharishi were sitting in the front row and they were enjoying the concert. And then we learned transcendental meditation a few hours later with the maharishi and The Beatles. So it was kind of nice…"

Another from Mike:
"Yeah it is. Maharishi Mahesh Yogi is the way he's known, he taught several of us transcendental meditation in December of 1967 when we were in Paris doing a UNICEF show which was broadcast all throughout Europe. It was a phenomenal show and at that show Maharishi was in the front row with George Harrison and John Lennon, and we got to hang out at an embassy party with Marlon Brando and so-on. And then we went to England and then we were called back to Paris because my cousin Dennis (Wilson) stayed in Paris and got in contact with the people with Maharishi and they invited us to come learn TM, which we were taught by Maharishi in Paris in December of 1967."

And another:
Q: As part of learning transcendental meditation, you travelled to India with the Beatles. What was that like?
Mike: "I learned TM from Maharishi in Paris in December of ’67, and then in February of ’68 I went over to India and the Beatles were there as well, and so was Donovan, and Mia Farrow was there for a little while. It was actually a teacher-training course, a gathering to train teachers of Transcendental Meditation. I didn’t really realise that that was the case when I first went there, I was so new to meditation. I had only been meditating a month or two and yet I was invited to India by Maharishi, and I said ‘I don’t know about the other guys but I’ll be there’ and it was really the most fascinating time of my life.
I was there at the breakfast table one morning when Paul McCartney came to the table with his acoustic guitar saying hey Michael, will you listen to this: ‘I flew in from Miami Beach, BOAC’ and he sang me the original version of ‘Back in the USSR’ and I told Paul: ‘well you ought to talk about all the girls around Russia like we talked about all the girls around the world in ‘California Girls’ and he did. We had a couple of nice conversations there and listened to Maharishi lecture in the afternoon and evening. It was really, really a fascinating time."

Just that small sampling, video and print, does anything even give a hint that they were aware of TM before Paris 1967? And I'm wondering why this would be the case, especially based on the direct memory of Nadine and Henry Lewy as told to Cam, the fact that they had been aware of it since 1966 and had even gone to a session with Brian and Marilyn hosted by the Lewys as early as 1966.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2014, 04:00:14 PM »

I don't see that any of it contradicts the Lewys. The Boys learned meditation for the first time from the Maha in Paris. The Lewys didn't claim to have taught them how to meditate, in fact they say the Boys didn't even make it to the last 6 of 7 mandatory lectures let alone ever getting to  the instructions or initiation.

In regards to Brian, maybe some better evidence than the Lewys' eye witness-participant accounts can or can not be turned from the TM organization.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »

I don't see that any of it contradicts the Lewys. The Boys learned meditation for the first time from the Maha in Paris. The Lewys didn't claim to have taught them how to meditate, in fact they say the Boys didn't even make it to the last 6 of 7 mandatory lectures let alone ever getting to  the instructions or initiation.

In regards to Brian, maybe some better evidence than the Lewys' eye witness-participant accounts can or can not be turned from the TM organization.

I'm going to again say thank you to Cam for putting out the information in this thread which was told by the Lewys. It goes beyond timelines and more into the area of a historical game changer of sorts, and if the reasons why are not evident, it's important to look at the way the history is told.

For me, I'm willing to take what the Lewys or even only Nadine Lewy told Cam at face value, and even though when I first read it I admit I was skeptical. But I have no doubt that in 1966 Brian attended these discussions and courses just as Nadine Lewy told Cam, up to and including the issue of getting certified if we want to take it that far. I have seen or read nothing which would suggest that what Nadine told Cam is not true, and more to suggest without going further than just the words in this thread that it happened as told to Cam. The extent of what happened and who was involved could be parsed and dissected further, but again I'll take it as a confirmation that Brian studied TM with the Lewys in 1966.

I'll restate it again, and even call out for more participation from people on this board: Is it just me, or does it seem even slightly odd that this aspect of the band's history has not been widely reported? I've read and tried to read almost every bit and blurb of this band's history as it has come out and continues to come out. Of all the books, magazines, histories, and even various online sources, has anyone on this board including those authors and historians who have published their own histories of the band recalled seeing a mention of what Cam revealed in this thread about Brian and Marilyn studying TM? And that one or several of the other band members were given an introduction to TM at one of the first meetings with Henry and/or Nadine Lewy?

Another side of that question would be to ask: Hasn't the story of the band and TM been told more often that they were introduced to it in Paris in 1967 (as told by Mike and Al in my quotes and videos above), that Dennis set up the meeting, and how that specific meeting with the Maharishi was the "first impression" they had of the practices of TM? Mike Love in that video interview specifically uses the term "first impressions" when describing that meeting in Paris, 1967.

So taking what Cam posted again at face value, they all had a brother/cousin/bandmate and his wife who had been attending classes for weeks in 1966, had completed the course of study which ended in a ceremony of some kind attended by the woman who had been the first and only teacher certified to teach TM by the Maharishi himself in the US in the early 60's, and the band's first impressions of TM didn't happen until late 1967 in Paris?

I find it hard to believe that no one would know or remember that Brian had been - according to Nadine Lewy who was there - "certified" or at least given a ceremony in 1966. No one else was aware of this? And beyond that, let's take again at face value the words Cam was told. Mike in one excerpt above described his time in India studying TM as a "teacher-training course", which he says he did not realize it was going into the trip to India, and also mentions that he himself has been certified since 1968 (EDIT: or 1972, or even another year) for teaching and bringing in new members into TM.

Is it just me, or does the revelation that Brian and possibly Marilyn too were potentially given the same certification in 1966 as Mike was given not set off a few alarm bells, send up a few red flags, etc etc etc? Just in terms of how the band's history has been told so far...now the information that Brian was doing what Mike was doing up to the present, only 2 years or so earlier than anyone said...or is it simpler than that?

At the very least, it's a  Shocked  kind of moment, and I want to see where it leads. There is more to this...what exactly the "more" could be is the interesting stuff.  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 05:01:39 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2014, 05:19:26 PM »

I too would be interested too.

To me it seems as simple as no one asked specifically about it before and/ or they didn't mention previous instruction because they didn't get previous instruction according to the best eyewitness account so far.

To me everything factual  presented so far either agrees with, confirms, or does not contradict anything in the detailed account by the Lewys. So somebody needs to get more info from the other people and organizations involved if it is suspected that there is more or different.

Maybe some/all doubt me or that the info is from the Lewys. Fair enough. I can't answer that. It's even happened before regarding whether I had had communication with Michael Vosse. If the Lewys are still alive you could track them down and report the account you get. I really hope someone will also contact the TM org about their records and also the surviving Boys about what they actually know/remember.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx