gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:54:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: December 1968 interview recording and Christmas greeting.  (Read 7814 times)
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »

I have a recording of an interview with Alan from the reception for the group at the Hilton hotel a few days before the recording of the "Live in London" album. When asked what the Beach Boys will be doing over Christmas Alan replies "we'll be reviewing the live album which we'll be doing this Sunday at the Palladium".  Which puts paid to the notion that the group weren't aware, as Steve Desper claims on page 115 of the Rusten and Stebbins book, that the performance was being recorded.

Alan also talks about the current single (Bluebirds), the upcoming album (20/20), their busy schedule and fields the inevitable Brian questions. All with considerable poise.

Also included is a very cool Christmas greeting from Dennis and another from Bruce.

Anyone familiar with the interview?
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:43:41 PM »

Not me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »

I find it easier to believe Desper than Alan. The ML banter of that show was so far out that it would be strange how anyone would want that included on an upcoming live album.
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 12:17:18 AM »

I find it easier to believe Desper than Alan. The ML banter of that show was so far out that it would be strange how anyone would want that included on an upcoming live album.

However the interview pre-dates the show (and hence any banter by Mike) and Alan is plainly aware of the intention to record and release the performance.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:39:01 AM »

Interesting.  Specifically, how does Al handle the "Brian question" in this interview?  I'm curious as to how PR was handled regarding Brian during this time.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:41:17 AM »

The banter could've been edited out, but wasn't. Somebody wanted it in.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 05:23:41 AM »

I have a recording of an interview with Alan from the reception for the group at the Hilton hotel a few days before the recording of the "Live in London" album. When asked what the Beach Boys will be doing over Christmas Alan replies "we'll be reviewing the live album which we'll be doing this Sunday at the Palladium".  Which puts paid to the notion that the group weren't aware, as Steve Desper claims on page 115 of the Rusten and Stebbins book, that the performance was being recorded.

I thought the story was that everyone was aware that the show on Sunday, December 1 at the London Palladium was to be recorded, but that no one knew that the show on December 8 at Finsbury Park, Astoria was being recorded by EMI.  When the album came out, and it was from EMI's tapes of the Finsbury Park show, the group was not happy.  So Jardine's statement and Desper's statement are not mutually exclusive.

Lee
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:24:34 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »

Interesting.  Specifically, how does Al handle the "Brian question" in this interview?  I'm curious as to how PR was handled regarding Brian during this time.
I'd very like to hear it too. Someone kind can upload the interview & greeting? Ty.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 08:13:42 AM »

I have a recording of an interview with Alan from the reception for the group at the Hilton hotel a few days before the recording of the "Live in London" album. When asked what the Beach Boys will be doing over Christmas Alan replies "we'll be reviewing the live album which we'll be doing this Sunday at the Palladium".  Which puts paid to the notion that the group weren't aware, as Steve Desper claims on page 115 of the Rusten and Stebbins book, that the performance was being recorded.

I thought the story was that everyone was aware that the show on Sunday, December 1 at the London Palladium was to be recorded, but that no one knew that the show on December 8 at Finsbury Park, Astoria was being recorded by EMI.  When the album came out, and it was from EMI's tapes of the Finsbury Park show, the group was not happy.  So Jardine's statement and Desper's statement are not mutually exclusive.

Lee
You're right Lee... If you read Stephen's quotes literally. "We were only there for one night..." They were unaware the Dec 8th show was the concert EMI would use for the LP, as Alan confirms that in the quote Kiwi posted... his, the group's and Stephen's assumption was the Dec 1 show was going to be the album's source.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 01:21:45 PM »

Actually, some of the banter was edited out.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 01:43:27 PM »

Actually, some of the banter was edited out.

Yeah, that's why the intro of "California grils" was cut short.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »

I have a recording of an interview with Alan from the reception for the group at the Hilton hotel a few days before the recording of the "Live in London" album.

Can you post a link to this interview, if you've got it in an e-format?

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 02:00:23 PM »

Lee
You're right Lee... If you read Stephen's quotes literally. "We were only there for one night..." They were unaware the Dec 8th show was the concert EMI would use for the LP, as Alan confirms that in the quote Kiwi posted... his, the group's and Stephen's assumption was the Dec 1 show was going to be the album's source.

Ah, I see now.  The comments by Steve Desper and Alan, as noted above, are not mutually exclusive. I had overlooked the 1 December show on the preceding page despite Alan referring to the upcoming Palladium performance in a "couple of days" as being recorded for a live album. This likely dates the interview/reception either on the day of arrival in the UK on the 28th or on the following evening.

Interviewer: "Any chance of Brian ever touring with you again? Alan: "I don't ever foresee that, I'd say he's retired from the road". Interviewer: "Just staying behind and doing all the writing:. Alan: "No, not all the writing as you will see by the next album. The group has contributed 60 to 70% of the material. Brian is working in the capacity of making sure things get done right rather than actually spearheading them, the group is doing much more of the actual effort now of producing and engineering the album."
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 04:21:11 PM »

I have a recording of an interview with Alan from the reception for the group at the Hilton hotel a few days before the recording of the "Live in London" album.

Can you post a link to this interview, if you've got it in an e-format?

At some point I will make the interview available. I have had number of reel-to-reel tapes for several years one of which was labelled The Beach Boys but until yesterday I had no idea of the contents.

Other artists include Marc Bolan, The Nice, The Hollies, Duncan Browne, Solomon King, The Scaffold, Cliff Richard, Love Sculpture and likely others. The Marc Bolan interview is possibly the most interesting seeing that it was recorded upon the release of Tyrannosaurus Rex’s first single Debora.  Several artists launch into Christmas carols for their "New Zealand fans."  Alas, no Beach Boys effort yet. The Scaffold (recorded in New Zealand) in particular sing an off colour version of "Lily the Pink" which very likely was never broadcast.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 07:40:45 PM »

Hopefully, it will be available sooner than later. Otherwise, no point in creating a topic about interview with no link to that. We shall wait.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
kiwi surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »

Hopefully, it will be available sooner than later. Otherwise, no point in creating a topic about interview with no link to that. We shall wait.

That attitude is hardly likely to spur me along.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »

It just feels weird to read the descriptions with no actual listening to the interview. I think it would've been more logical to make it available 1st, then start asking questions like you did in the original post. The more people discuss it the better, don't you think so? There's so little of what we heard from the 60s, it's always interesting what's surfaced from that time.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 08:03:56 PM »

Best just to ignore her

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »

Best just to ignore her
You keep your advice to yourself, I say.

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »

Best just to ignore her

That's good advice.  Kiwi Surfer, thanks for what you've posted so far, including the section transcript - if and when you get a chance to pop something up at your leisure, I'll happily be clicking the link - cheers - A

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »

What did I say wrong. Reread back reply #16. I tried to explain my best. You started this offtopic, not me.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:39:13 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2014, 04:05:05 PM »

Thanks, Kiwi. Good thread. Please 'spur' along.  Smiley

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2014, 07:54:46 PM »

I have to say I'm from a period of BB fandom when you had to dig for stuff and do research. Now people think they are entitled to be spoon-fed whatever they want. I also walked five miles in the snow to school.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 10:36:51 AM »

I have to say I'm from a period of BB fandom when you had to dig for stuff and do research. Now people think they are entitled to be spoon-fed whatever they want. I also walked five miles in the snow to school.

A problematic truth.
SenorPotatoHead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 10:57:43 AM »

To play Devils advocate a bit:  When someone starts a thread where they regale folks with this rare and mostly unheard interview they have, they oughtn't be surprised that people are gonna be bugging them to hear it.   
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx