gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:59:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas for a BW Box Set  (Read 16751 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2014, 05:17:31 PM »

True, I definitely should've put Roxy in there somewhere (I was pressed for space, hence the non-inclusion of certain albums). As it's a fan-made fantasy, I'd rather forget that GIOMH even exists Grin

No, but if you're following my proposal, it will be a re-recorded, remixed special version of GIOMH!

Man, that would be incredible. I really dig most of the tracks on that album, just hate the way they were presented.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2014, 05:50:51 PM »

Did another mockup during some spare time....

The line at Best Buy is already 'round the corner. Tents, sleeping bags, Coleman stoves-we're diggin' in for the long haul!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Camus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:14 PM »

I'd be happy with a release of the Paley sessions.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »

Interesting - I've been proposing LWS as a putative album/box title for over fourteen years with nary a word from the same resident Thought Nazis who accused me of homophobia because I used the word "straight"... then suddenly it's "morbid" and "in rather poor taste".

Interesting.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 11:33:40 PM »

Don't worry none… I like the idea Andrew.

Other, lesser ideas which might better-satisfy anyone prone to taking offence on others' behalfs:

I'm Still Standing
Solo Survivor
There But For The Grace of God Made The Radio
Alone Again, Naturally

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 05:16:06 AM »

Interesting - I've been proposing LWS as a putative album/box title for over fourteen years with nary a word from the same resident Thought Nazis who accused me of homophobia because I used the word "straight"... then suddenly it's "morbid" and "in rather poor taste".

Interesting.

I was just giving my personal opinion on a name that alludes to the fact that two Wilson brothers are deceased and Brian is the only one left. I wasn't making a big deal out of it, just giving my opinion. Of the 14 years you've been proposing this name I've been a fan for 4...so this is probably the first time I've even seen it mentioned.

So it's not all that interesting.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »

Interesting.

Those are different people than the people that post here now. I think the name is in poor taste.

Is it actually more complicated than that for you?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2014, 02:51:19 PM »

The phrase "last Wilson standing" originated at the 2001 Radio City Music Hall tribute concert, and was uttered by Dennis Hopper. I doubt he made it up on the fly, and I'm sure the script would have been approved by Brian's people... and anyway, Brian was in the audience when Hopper said it. Maybe I'm off piste here, but my strong impression was that the lack of reaction or comment, and that Hopper said it at all, indicated that neither Brian nor his management considered it "morbid" or "in rather poor taste".

But hey, what would I know about good taste, huh ?

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »

I get all that, but why bring the "thought nazis" into this.
I don't like the name. I don't care if Dennis Hopper said it at a tribute show and Brian's side is ok with it - *I* don't like it.

That's all I've said here, but to you apparently it's a big issue - or atleast big enough to complain about us not enjoying ur taste  Cry Cry Cry

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »

Moving on...

Any new mock ups?

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 03:25:17 PM »

I hope it's not out of place for me to voice my opinion that I do not find it at all offensive. It's a very loaded statement but, cripes, 30–35 years ago, no one could have predicted that Brian would be the last surviving Wilson brother. "Against All Odds" would be an equally apt term. f***, this is the guy who once rolled up his sleeves and dug his own grave. "Last Wilson Standing" isn't meant as a disrespect to Carl and Dennis; it's a tribute to Brian that he's defied all probability to be with us today and producing the aural nectar we crave.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »

edit: who cares
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:31:54 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2014, 04:17:47 PM »

How about "War Hero"? That was the working title for "Imagination," after all.

And it would offend no one at all.  Grin
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »

Can we make wirestone "mixdown producer" of the box set? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 04:51:46 PM »

The phrase "last Wilson standing" originated at the 2001 Radio City Music Hall tribute concert, and was uttered by Dennis Hopper. I doubt he made it up on the fly, and I'm sure the script would have been approved by Brian's people... and anyway, Brian was in the audience when Hopper said it. Maybe I'm off piste here, but my strong impression was that the lack of reaction or comment, and that Hopper said it at all, indicated that neither Brian nor his management considered it "morbid" or "in rather poor taste".

But hey, what would I know about good taste, huh ?

Yet again, it's personal opinion. Nelson Mandela could've announced this name from a golden scroll and I'd still find it morbid. "Last Wilson Standing" - it just reminds me that the other two are gone. That's it. John is spot on with his breakdown of what the title actually implies. But from my perspective, it's not a title I care for.

If for the 14 years you've been proposing this no one has batted an eye, I wouldn't be too concerned with 3 people that find it in poor taste. It's really not that big of a deal.

It's not a celebration of his brother's deaths

No one implied that.

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »

No one implied that.

No one implied that anyone implied that.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »

I'm sure, Andrew, that at the time when Dennis [H] uttered the words, given the time and the place and the situation, that it was probably pretty funny.  And fitting.  I mean Brian?  Outlasting both Carl and Dennis?  It was [and is] noteworthy.  It's just that it's for other folks to say...not for Brian to then grab it and wear like a badge of honour.

It's not how I think he'd want to officially situate the memory of his his Brothers...either for himself or for the fans.

----------------------------------------------------------------

But then this is all a speculative wish list isn't it?  And suggesting that Brian was, is, or would in the future consider naming any project "The Last Wilson Standing" is of our making...here...in this thread...not true?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:10:43 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2014, 11:11:00 PM »

Wasn't funny at all. Wasn't intended to be funny. Watch that section again.

Ah, f*** it, just call it I'm Not A Genuis, I'm Just A Hard-Working Guy... or is that insufficiently reverential ?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:12:52 PM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »

How about "War Hero"? That was the working title for "Imagination," after all.

And it would offend no one at all.  Grin

I think I see what you did there….  Wink

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2014, 11:53:13 PM »

Sorry...not sure what section you're referring to Scribe.  At any rate my old friend...I don't think I'm getting your point and I don't think you're getting mine either.  No problem.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »

I vote for:

"Music is God's Voice."

A quote from Brian's speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 1988.  It's such a straight-forward quote that I can't believe that it's not attributed to someone else decades -- if not centuries -- before Brian, but I've never been able to find it attributed to anyone else.  The pundits may say, "Well, David Leaf probably wrote the speech," but I don't believe for a second that Brian would have said something that profound if he didn't mean it.

Controversial perhaps (apologies to the atheists in the crowd), but IMO a summation of Brian's musicality and spirituality in four simple words.

Lee
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:01:18 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2014, 07:50:08 AM »

I vote for:

"Music is God's Voice."

A quote from Brian's speech at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in 1988.  It's such a straight-forward quote that I can't believe that it's not attributed to someone else decades -- if not centuries -- before Brian, but I've never been able to find it attributed to anyone else.  The pundits may say, "Well, David Leaf probably wrote the speech," but I don't believe for a second that Brian would have said something that profound if he didn't mean it.

Controversial perhaps (apologies to the atheists in the crowd), but IMO a summation of Brian's musicality and spirituality in four simple words.

Lee

Seconded.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2014, 08:37:29 AM »

Happy with that!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx