gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ideas for a BW Box Set  (Read 16706 times)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

I was thinking about how incredible a BW box set would be, releasing all kinds of stuff from his career...because there is more than enough material to make an incredible release.
Or even just a CD of stuff...

What do you all think would belong on something like this, and how could it best be presented?

Some ideas
-Burlesque (B. Wilson/Rieley)
-The second BW fairytale
-The Original TLOS Demos
-The two(?) songs from the Fred Vail country album
-Please Let Me Wonder Live 1965
-A collection of original piano demos (Til I Die, Little Red Book, Fairy Tale Music)
-Highlights of collaborations between BW and Andy Pailey
-Early BW Productions
-Unreleased Tracking Sessions (Sunflower-Surf's Up era preferably)
-All of the Love You Demos released in high quality
-Alternate Love You tracks from Brother Rarities (Johnny Carson w/Guitar Intro)
-Any interesting live BW vocals
-Any interesting isolated lead/backing vocals
-Bonus stuff from Gershwin album
-Let's Call the Whole Thing Off from Gershwin
-Surf's Up pt. 2 (which is an extra string part?)
-DRIP DROP
-I'm Begging you Please
-Original My Solution
-Black Widow
-Any random sound clips, for example, the 'hypnotize me Van Dyke' tape.
-ANYTHING from the Bedroom Tapes (Even Steven, All I Wanna Do 1968, Song to God, Alternate Day in the Life of a Tree, (anything from that set works))
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 01:07:11 PM by Woodstock » Logged

Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 01:19:53 PM »

If Surf's Up part 2 actually existed (or if there's a copy of it out there that hasn't been destroyed), I'd be willing to pay 20 bucks just for that.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:21:19 PM »

Sounds great! Here's my wallet! Hello
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:26:54 PM »

Brian's demo of 'Awake' would be an incredible addition.
'Oh Lord' is also an obvious choice.

If such a release were to appear, I would love for it to be a boxset, much along the lines of 'The Smile Sessions'; 3 CDs of demo tracks, alternate takes, a section of a cappella only tracks (showcasing his brilliance of harmony). A book detailing Brian's creative process(es), rare pictures, interviews with the Wrecking Crew about certain sessions. A repressing of the 'Caroline, No' 45.

It's a shame that the VDP's 'Sail on Sailor' tape will probably never see the light of day.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 02:53:22 PM »

You can make an entire Brian Wilson set just out of bonus tracks, B-sides, soundtrack contributions, and tribute album contributions.  Wilco just came out with a great set of the same sort.  I might be missing a few but look at all what hasn't been collected (used AGD's site to make the list).

Goodnight Irene (from Leadbelly tribute album)
Daddy's Little Girl (She's Out of Control soundtrack)
Sweets for My Sweet (from Doc Pomus tribute album)
Country Feeling (Sweet Insanity outtake from Every Child Deserves a Lifetime compilation)
This Could Be the Night (from Harry Nilsson tribute album)
In My Moondreams (Andy Paley co-production/instrumental)
This Song Wants to Sleep With You Tonight (B-side, Do It Again single)
This Isn't Love (piano instrumental version from Songs Without Words compilation)
Little Deuce Coupe (duet with Brian Setzer)
Everything I Need (duet with Jeff Foskett)
California Feelin' (2002 solo version)
Rodney on the Roq (Mayor of the Sunset Strip soundtrack)
You Are So Beautiful (duet with Carnie)
In My Room (with Wilson Phillips from their California album)
The Spirit of Rock and Roll (2006 version)
Live Let Live (Arctic Tale soundtrack, different Van Dyke Parks lyrics)
Speed Turtle (collab with childrens author Sandra Boynton)
What Love Can Do (Burt Bacharach collab from compilation of the same name)
God Only Knows (solo re-recording from What Love Can Do)
Walking Down the Path of Life/Love and Mercy (charity single)
Believe In Yourself (from Duck Dodgers cartoon show)
Heaven (beautiful cover of Carl's solo song)
California Sun (Curious George soundtrack)
Listen to Me (from Buddy Holly tribute album)
Wanderlust (from Art of McCartney)
Plus exclusives from his website like White Christmas, The Christmas Song, the demo version of Midnight's Another Day.  All the various bonus tracks from different versions of That Lucky Old Sun
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 09:47:34 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »

With the movie and a new album coming out next year, I feel the next year or two is a good a time as any for a Brian Wilson box set.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 03:08:34 PM »

I have no inside information, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a Brian Wilson box set timed to concide with his 75th birthday in 2017.

Lee
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »

You can make an entire Brian Wilson set just out of bonus tracks, B-sides, soundtrack contributions, and tribute album contributions.  Wilco just came out with a great set of the same sort.  I might be missing a few but look at all what hasn't been collected (used AGD's site to make the list).

Goodnight Irene (from Leadbelly tribute album)
Daddy's Little Girl (She's Out of Control soundtrack)
Sweets for My Sweet (from Doc Pomus tribute album)
Country Feeling (Sweet Insanity outtake from Every Child Deserves a Lifetime compilation)
This Could Be the Night (from Harry Nilsson tribute album)
In My Moondreams (Andy Paley co-production/instrumental)
This Isn't Love (piano instrumental version from Songs Without Words compilation)
Little Deuce Coupe (duet with Brian Setzer)
California Feelin' (2002 solo version)
Rodney on the Roq (Mayor of the Sunset Strip soundtrack)
You Are So Beautiful (duet with Carnie)
In My Room (with Wilson Phillips from their California album)
The Spirit of Rock and Roll (2006 version)
Live Let Live (Arctic Tale soundtrack, different Van Dyke Parks lyrics)
Speed Turtle (collab with childrens author Sandra Boynton)
What Love Can Do (Burt Bacharach collab from compilation of the same name)
God Only Knows (solo re-recording from What Love Can Do)
Walking Down the Path of Life/Love and Mercy (charity single)
Believe In Yourself (from Duck Dodgers cartoon show)
Heaven (beautiful cover of Carl's solo song)
California Sun (Curious George soundtrack)
Listen to Me (from Buddy Holly tribute album)
Wanderlust (from Art of McCartney)
Plus exclusives from his website like White Christmas, The Christmas Song, the demo version of Midnight's Another Day.  All the various bonus tracks from different versions of That Lucky Old Sun
yes they should finally put all of these on a collection..also the Gershwin Piano Demos..maybe if not a box set maybe a two disc anthology with Disc 1 having highlights from all of his cds and a couple unreleased songs and disc 2 could be these songs you listed..
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 05:26:37 PM »

yes they should finally put all of these on a collection..also the Gershwin Piano Demos..

Those Gershwin piano demos, which appeared on the BW website for a time, were not from Brian. They were, IIRC, recordings made by the Gershwin estate of the unissued tunes.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 05:46:50 PM »

Personally, I believe they should just reissue all of Brian's solo albums as two- or three-disc sets ...

BW88 -- Already mostly done with the reissue, but they could add even more tracks, including ones with alternate lyrics and more of the Usher sessions.

OCA -- Perhaps some a capella and instrumental mixes, as well as some versions of the tunes with fewer stacked Brian vocals (such as OCA from the documentary). Also, stuff like "What a Wonderful World" and "Rhapsody in Blue" that VDP and BW recorded around that time.

Imagination -- They recorded more tracks than appeared on the record, and there were a capella mixes issued with singles, etc. They could also include some of the live(ish) tracks from the concert special. And the "Cry" piano-only demo could finally find a home.

Live at the Roxy -- Just release it with all available bonus tracks, with a third disc being the "Brian Wilson on Tour" DVD.

Pet Sounds Live in London -- Ditto, with the the second disc being the PS Live DVD. They might want to remix the first disc, too, given its clear inferiority to the DVD mixes.

GIOMH -- Include the original album, but then include a full-on remix, with added vocals from the BW band. There's a listenable record in there, if they gave it a go. Extra tracks could include earlier versions of some of the tunes (but not the Paley ones), as well as some of the BW-Kalinich stuff composed around the time.

BWPS Smile -- First disc would be the studio reconstruction, second disc would be a soundboard recording of the London premiere. Bonus tracks could be some of the instrumental mixes already released. Deluxe version would include the DVD performance of the album.

WIRWFC -- The rest of the Christmas songs that haven't been included on an album, as well as some instrumental and vocal-only mixes. The bonus early versions of On Christmas Day could be included too.

Lucky Old Sun -- Include all the original Scott Bennett demos, the bonus tracks, and a recording of the live premiere. Deluxe version would include DVD performance.

BWRG -- Live performance of the album, as well as some a capella and instrumental versions. Possibly the first, waltz version of Northing But Love.

ITKOFD -- Amazon bonus tracks, along with a special, Darian-produced, maxi-Moog version of the album, with all new, rocking keyboard bass lines on every song. (This is a joke, obviously -- I'm finding it difficult to figure out how to get a second disc out of this record.)

In addition to this core library, we would include three special, all-new sets.

The Complete Paley Sessions -- Everything BW and AP did in the mid-90s. There could be a three-or-four disc main version, including works-in-progress and new mixes -- basically everything possible. There could also be a single-disc version, sold more or less as a new album.

Spare tracks -- All of the BW soundtrack and tribute work on the first disc, with the second disc being his guest backing vocal appearances.

The Touring Years -- A two-disc set of BW's best concert performances from his solo career.

And it could all be packaged together as the compleat BW -- a 33-plus disc boxed set!

A man can dream, right? Come on, Ray -- someone needs to make the case for this!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:43:21 AM by Wirestone » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 05:55:42 PM »

BWPS Smile -- First disc would be the studio reconstruction, second disc would be a soundboard recording of the London premiere. Bonus tracks could be some of the instrumental mixes already released. Deluxe version would include the DVD performance of the album.

I would love this. It'd also be great if they re-issued the vinyl.

No Pier Pressure demos and outtakes would be great as well. I've noticed lately that releasing bonus discs with your album is getting more popular. I hope NPP isn't an exception. I'd love to have a lot of extra goodies alongside the album.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 07:28:55 PM »

yes they should finally put all of these on a collection..also the Gershwin Piano Demos..

Those Gershwin piano demos, which appeared on the BW website for a time, were not from Brian. They were, IIRC, recordings made by the Gershwin estate of the unissued tunes.
I never knew that,,thanks,
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 07:35:49 PM »

BTW if anyone has those Gershwin Demo's please PM me... I have been looking for them and well since they aren't Brian then I guess I can't see why anyone would have a problem with it.. I just want to hear them in piano form..
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »

Ideally I'd just love to see as much of the Paley sessions released as possible. To me that's the best music Brian's made since Love You.

Actually I like an official issue of those Gary Usher sessions as well. Some nice tunes there like "Christmas Time" and "Turning Point".

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »

I want me some of that alleged 'Song To God' which Brian would hate everyone hearing because it's such a personal song apparently.

Nothing would please me more than hearing a song Brian would do everything to prevent me hearing. GrinI'm the worst kinda fan
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:48:40 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:46 AM »

On TLOS reissue - alternate version of "Live Let Live" from Arctic Tale.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »

I'm setting aside the funds...
Outtasight!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »

Just get the Wilson-Paley tracks issued. All of 'em!
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »

Smiley Smilers' new BW Album Artwork Ideas

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »

A rerelease of all his albums with bonus tracks would be awesome.  But in terms of a box set:

Disc one and disc two: Unreleased songs pre solo career. (61 - 69ish) and (70ish - 87)
Disc three: Song selections from solo albums
Disc 4: Non album singles, outtakes and demos from solo years

Something like this would be great.  But if the albums are reissued with bonus tracks the first two discs along with one of Adult/Child and a fourth of Sweet Insanity 

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »

I wish there was some way we could push for something like this to be released. It's pretty obvious there's tons of stuff just waiting to be released. I'd like a physical box set packed with unreleased stuff, but even something simple like a digital release ala Big Beat 1963 would be incredible. Who here wouldn't buy that  Smokin

And on that note - will there be a Big Beat type release this year?

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 06:00:09 PM »

More than anything I'd like balance of stuff from the last 52 years - solo career and Beach Boys stuff. 6 CD's in a chronological format ala Made in California would be so cool.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 06:16:42 PM »

Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 06:19:37 PM »

That's super cool. A release of The Bedroom Tapes could be marketed like the Bob Dylan basement tapes.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »

That's super cool. A release of The Bedroom Tapes could be marketed like the Bob Dylan basement tapes.

I've always thought the Beach Boys could use a Bob Dylan-esque 'Bootleg Series'

The Good Vibrations boxset did a tremendous job of pushing the later, lesser known eras to the general population. MiC again drove this point home. But now that you've got my attention, now that you've got many other casual fan's attention, it's time to release some sets with a focus on deeper material. Especially now that Brian Wilson (arguably the greatest American songwriter) will be again thrust into the public eye shortly. Would be the perfect time to announce such a project.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx