gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680770 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 11:46:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best of the Brother Years 2000 comp: US vs UK version  (Read 2116 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:56:41 PM »

I recently bought the UK version. I'm astonished at how much better it sounds than the US version. Am I just imagining this? Til I die, surf's up, Marcella, all sound much clearer. The fade on Marcella seems a little longer....I heard a line I've never heard before "doo be do be do" at the end. I'm not at home to A-B it, but I will check it out tonight.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:03:13 PM »

It also has the single mix of Sumahama and the 4:34 single edit of Here Comes the Night, for the LA Light completest.  Now if I could just find the UK single mix of Lady Lynda...
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

It also has the single mix of Sumahama and the 4:34 single edit of Here Comes the Night, for the LA Light completest.  Now if I could just find the UK single mix of Lady Lynda...
I didn't realize that Sumahama was the single mix. Is it also the single mix on the Platinum Collection? Can't say I know the difference.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 02:45:19 PM »

One of the best Beach Boys compilations! And what a beautiful art work. All around perfect (maybe they could've added a Dennis song).
I have the UK version as it seems. I really love the record and it's still the only album I have with single versions of "California saga", "Rock'n'Roll music", "It's ok", "Here comes the night" and "Sumahama" (thanks Steve Latshaw for the "Sumahama"-info! I didn't realize that before).
Is "Susie Cincinnati" also really the single mix?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_Volume_Three:_Best_of_the_Brother_Years_1970%E2%80%931986

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:51 PM »

I listened to it again...sounds like the album version to me? Unless I'm missing something.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:41:44 AM »

By the way, Best of the Brother Years is also on Spotify and there they used the single versions.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 04:45:51 AM »

I listened to it again...sounds like the album version to me? Unless I'm missing something.

Probably. But what are the differences between the single and the album version? Something very obvious?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 05:19:46 AM »

Sumahama - 45 versus lp.  The difference is at the end fade.  LP mix has "suma...hama" background vocals over and over, 45 just has "ooh" harmonies.  I do not have a UK 45, that's just the difference on the US 45.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 02:33:33 PM »

Sumahama - 45 versus lp.  The difference is at the end fade.  LP mix has "suma...hama" background vocals over and over, 45 just has "ooh" harmonies.  I do not have a UK 45, that's just the difference on the US 45.
Hmmmm let me check this out! Thanks for the info.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 12:19:59 AM »

Just to clarify...it is indeed the album version that is on this comp.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx