gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:43:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wontcha Come Out Tonight  (Read 14261 times)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »

Just the vinyl.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 06:53:51 PM »

I like Brian's lead on the verses. Reminds me of Match Point of Our love, which has grown to be my favorite on MIU.

The chorus, however, conjures up a mental image of the guys in a recording studio strutting around in circles like chickens and flapping their wings. The chorus has always sounded like singing cartoon chickens to me, particularly on the last 30 seconds or so. If this comes on the car stereo at a traffic light, you can bet I'm turning that down.

LOL

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »

That footage is from the 1978 pm magazine segment. The footage was all filmed at a May 1978 appearance in Oakland. What I always notice is how calm and real Brian seems there.

Yes, I saw it the night it was televised on PM Magazine. I still remember my Dad, who was reading the newspaper at the time but glanced at the TV and said, "What's wrong with that guy?" I agree that Brian seemed "real" in the interview. He displayed emotion, thought about the question, and sounded articulate. However, I didn't think he was calm; actually he looks perturbed about something. It's one of the few times I have actually seen Brian "angry" in an interview. It remains one of my favorite Brian interviews, as short as it is. That Brian was so fascinating.

One quick thing on "Wontcha Come Out Tonight".... I haven't listened to it in years, but doesn't the vinyl Ten Years Of Harmony have a version of "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" which has a longer tag and a slightly different mix with the brass more prominent at the end. I could be wrong.
Yes indeed, it sure does.

Is this on the CD too? Or just the original vinyl?

Yes, just the vinyl. Ten Tears Of Harmony lost a couple of cool mixes when it went from vinyl to CD. Why, I don't know!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 11:32:31 PM »

Just relistened to this song a couple of days ago. Both the singing and the melodies still sounded very strong to me but once again it struck me how the backing tracks on the entire M.I.U. Album are just incredibly dull and pedestrian. There is virtually none of the old magic to these arrangements and this I think is what ultimately makes this record sound so corny. It's certainly not underproduced in a way that's charming, like Wild Honey.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:34:50 PM by phirnis » Logged
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2014, 06:40:11 AM »

Just relistened to this song a couple of days ago. Both the singing and the melodies still sounded very strong to me but once again it struck me how the backing tracks on the entire M.I.U. Album are just incredibly dull and pedestrian. There is virtually none of the old magic to these arrangements and this I think is what ultimately makes this record sound so corny. It's certainly not underproduced in a way that's charming, like Wild Honey.
Well, that can be said for everything after Sunflower through M.I.U. There are hardly any trademark harmonies on those albums. When Good Timin' was released, as soon as those harmonies kick in, there was no mistaking that that was The Beach Boys on the radio.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2014, 07:42:52 AM »

Dry, fat, and compressed. Typical record from 1974 to 1981 but I love how it sounds nonetheless.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »

When Good Timin' was released, as soon as those harmonies kick in, there was no mistaking that that was The Beach Boys on the radio.

The backing track for that is duller than anything on MIU though IMHO. I actually didn't notice how good a song it is until I heard the unplugged version on the SMiLE tour. The dull backing track totally ruins Good Timin' for me.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 11:04:18 AM »

When Good Timin' was released, as soon as those harmonies kick in, there was no mistaking that that was The Beach Boys on the radio.

The backing track for that is duller than anything on MIU though IMHO. I actually didn't notice how good a song it is until I heard the unplugged version on the SMiLE tour. The dull backing track totally ruins Good Timin' for me.
The vocals more than make up for it. One of those songs that always puts me in good mood. Smiley

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »

The vocals more than make up for it. One of those songs that always puts me in good mood. Smiley

Lucky you!

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »

The last :52 seconds of this thing is kicking my ass right now... great stuff.  I love the slide off the cliff as Mike sings... "...of ways that I can spend all my nights with you..." and then all those layered parts start stacking... the brass line kicks in... a classic Beach Boys "fade" as Carl used to say, like the end of Breakaway, At My Window, etc.

Classic tune!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2014, 02:33:02 PM »

Yes, just the vinyl. Ten Tears Of Harmony lost a couple of cool mixes when it went from vinyl to CD. Why, I don't know!

What are the other alternate mixes on the Ten Years of Harmony vinyl?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »

I'm guessing this alternate mix was mistakenly released, as opposed to an intentional decision to release it this way? (Especially since the CD version doesn't have it). MIU seems to be the album that has resulted in the most goofs in terms of reissuing wrong mixes, like the multiple wrong mixes used on the 1990 CD version. And it's inadvertently good for fans that this has happened, of course - the more versions out there, the better.

I've often wondered if that's because less effort on a reissue was put into making sure that everything was done properly for songs on an album regarded by many (including many of the BBs themselves) as lower-tier BB material? Then again, maybe MIU just had the worst tape labeling of masters/mixes of any other album in the BBs vault. Or maybe a combination of those 2 factors.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:34:16 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2014, 04:05:15 PM »

This is from long ago memory; I haven't listened to it in years; I stand to be corrected:

Wontcha Come Out Tonight - a longer tag with more prominent brass
School Days - a different beginning and bell ringing I recall
It' OK - I think they used the single mix
Rock And Roll Music - I think they used the single mix
California Saga - I know they used the single mix

clinikillz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »

I admit Brian's verses are catchy, but that's the only good thing I can say about it. The MIU album is so bland it's ridiculous.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2014, 11:47:10 AM »

The songs on MIU which have stood *my* test of time are Kona Coast...I always appreciated the tip of the hat to Hawaii, Peggy Sue...neat Carl vocal/neat version, and Pitter Patter...just 'cause I felt it.

I suppose I can also include Come Go With Me as an honourable mention selection.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 11:50:43 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »

Dry, fat, and compressed.

What is Orson Welles sober, driving a mini?

Drumroll

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2014, 11:59:51 PM »

The songs on MIU which have stood *my* test of time are Kona Coast...I always appreciated the tip of the hat to Hawaii, Peggy Sue...neat Carl vocal/neat version, and Pitter Patter...just 'cause I felt it.

I suppose I can also include Come Go With Me as an honourable mention selection.
Didn't Al sing Peggy Sue?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2014, 06:42:54 AM »

Didn't Al sing Peggy Sue?
Carl sings the lead on the chorus, which is fantastic. If you listen to the 15 Big Ones mix, Carl's vocal is missing and the whole thing is played down.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,