gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:00:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wontcha Come Out Tonight  (Read 14253 times)
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2014, 12:44:15 PM »

The last :52 seconds of this thing is kicking my ass right now... great stuff.  I love the slide off the cliff as Mike sings... "...of ways that I can spend all my nights with you..." and then all those layered parts start stacking... the brass line kicks in... a classic Beach Boys "fade" as Carl used to say, like the end of Breakaway, At My Window, etc.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 12:46:18 PM by Steve Latshaw » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 01:18:13 PM »

I LOVE this song

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 01:46:49 PM »

I LOVE this song

Me too.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »

One of the best 70's BB songs, definetely. Criminally underrated! It gives me chills goddammit, it's so great!
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »

Count me in as a lover of Wontcha Come Out Tonight! It's a killer tune with great harmonies! I bet more fans would like it if it were on a different album.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »

Brian's smooth vocals-can't get enough of that.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 02:25:40 PM »

I love MIU!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2014, 02:38:31 PM »

I love MIU!

The "U" in MIU stands for underrated.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2014, 02:54:36 PM »

I love MIU!

The "U" in MIU stands for underrated.

And "MI" stands for mostly isn't.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »

I agree it's probably even one of their best 70s songs. So catchy!

Not too crazy about M.I.U. as a whole but there are a couple of songs where Brian's input was really inspired.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »

LOVE this song....love Brian's vocals on it, and actually MIU is  my favorite album outside of the 1967-1972 period. Yeah...I said it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2014, 03:16:29 PM »

MIU is an LP I can play in an entirely flat manner. It doesn't disgust me. It doesn't delight me. And I haven't played it enough. It's just... there.

Except HAY LITTLE HAY LITTLE.

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
The Dumb Angel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »

Yes!!! Wontcha Come Out Tonight is a fantastic song!

I completely agree with those who say MIU is underrated. Tracks like She's Got Rhythm, Wontcha, Sweet Sunday Kinda Love, Pitter Patter, My Diane, and Match Point and all very under appreciated gems.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2014, 03:49:29 PM »

This song makes me cringe and come close to throwing up every time I hear it. "I find myself a singin' this little song...." Please kill me if I have to ever hear that again.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:52:13 PM by Jon Stebbins » Logged
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »

This song makes me cringe and come close to throwing up every time I hear it. "I find myself a singin' this little song...." Please kill me if I have to ever hear that again.

To be fair, given' how indifferent I am to the LP, I can't remember how the song goes bar the intro... You have given me motivation not to find out... Thank You :D

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

We need more songs from freddie! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 05:04:56 PM »

We need more songs from freddie! Grin

No, we don't.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 05:07:15 PM »

To most ears it's just as garbage as pretty much everything else on MIU. I'll always respect fans for loving the music the BB's put out; quirkiness and all!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 05:14:43 PM »

Haven't played this song in a long time. Whenever I've played MIU before, I've skipped over it.

There's one thing that I've wondered to this day since I first heard it when it came out. I've seen suggestions to an answer, but nothing definitive. Maybe I missed the correct answer somewhere along the way:

Why does Brian's vocal sound so clear compared to other vocals of his from the mid-70's on?  Has it been established that his voice went through a processor or other means when recording this song?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »

Let me guess. You want the album to self destruct and to f*** up Mike Love's meditation forever. Right?

I think this song just needed David Marks' axe on it. Then it would be a total classic! Kinda like if he rocked all over Wild Honey.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »

Why does Brian's vocal sound so clear compared to other vocals of his from the mid-70's on?  Has it been established that his voice went through a processor or other means when recording this song?

An equally good question might be why Brian never sounded as gruff again as he did on 15BO and LY, even in 1981.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

LOVE this song....love Brian's vocals on it, and actually MIU is  my favorite album outside of the 1967-1972 period. Yeah...I said it.
And I've always loved Pitter Patter-now there's a candidate for a single. The song has a fabulous melody line, the vocals are spot on, and it just rocks along on it's merry way. Cool

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

I like the song,,,of course I always sing it to myself without the word "Out" in it... Grin
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 08:12:41 PM »

Why does Brian's vocal sound so clear compared to other vocals of his from the mid-70's on?  Has it been established that his voice went through a processor or other means when recording this song?

An equally good question might be why Brian never sounded as gruff again as he did on 15BO and LY, even in 1981.
Yes!  I call it, "4-packs-a-day Brian"  How did he just vanish?!

He's first started to show up, I think on Mt. Vernon and Fairway, a bit... perhaps?  This is admittedly a very strange "Brian."  But I like this Brian.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 08:48:22 PM »

And I've always loved Pitter Patter-now there's a candidate for a single. The song has a fabulous melody line, the vocals are spot on, and it just rocks along on it's merry way.

Hell...yes. May have been produced by Al, but the way the backups play off each other rhythmically reminds me of Brian in his prime.

I like the song,,,of course I always sing it to myself without the word "Out" in it...

LMFAO

Yes!  I call it, "4-packs-a-day Brian"  How did he just vanish?!

He's first started to show up, I think on Mt. Vernon and Fairway, a bit... perhaps?  This is admittedly a very strange "Brian."  But I like this Brian.

I've always held that Brian's raspiness was a bit put on, and his MIU voice was more indicative of how he really sounded at that point.

Seems to be my favorite subject, but you can hear his mid-period voice turn up several times in the backups on So Tough, especially He Come Down

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx