gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:53:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wontcha Come Out Tonight  (Read 14256 times)
zachrwolfe
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 11:58:54 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:59:38 PM by zatch » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2014, 12:35:46 AM »

This song makes me cringe and come close to throwing up every time I hear it. "I find myself a singin' this little song...." Please kill me if I have to ever hear that again.

If you wrote the same thing about Belles of Paris I'd certainly understand it. M.I.U. has some cringe-worthy moments (much more so than any other BB album up to that point) but Come Out Tonight isn't one of those I think.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2014, 01:01:43 AM »

Winds of Change is the only song on there i actively despise, mistly because Al Jardine sounds like Kermit the Frog on Quaaludes on it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2014, 03:23:29 AM »

We need more songs from freddie! Grin

Maybe...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »

Not a fan of this album at all. Having said that, I like My Diane, Pitter Patter and I can just about take Winds of Change (though one version sounds considerably better than the other) because at least it's trying to be something good. Wontcha is the best of the rest. Don't think it's any worse than It's Okay - both are evidence lyrical ability had gone south. On my attempt to revamp MIU and make it more palatable (to me), I still include it.

BTW, That Same Song is the rollicking version from the TV special and Lady Lynda is minus the intro, in an attempt to replicate the version recorded during the MIU sessions.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:31:23 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Nicko1234
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 06:41:53 AM »

Not a fan of this album at all. Having said that, I like My Diane, Pitter Patter and I can just about take Winds of Change (though one version sounds considerably better than the other) because at least it's trying to be something good. Wontcha is the best of the rest. Don't think it's any worse than It's Okay - both are evidence lyrical ability had gone south. On my attempt to revamp MIU and make it more palatable (to me), I still include it.

BTW, That Same Song is the rollicking version from the TV special and Lady Lynda is minus the intro, in an attempt to replicate the version recorded during the MIU sessions.

Sorry to be pedantic but I thought that Lady Lynda was recorded some time before the MIU sessions and wasnt worked on in Iowa at all.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 09:46:15 AM »

I love MIU!

The "U" in MIU stands for underrated.

And "MI" stands for mostly isn't.

Cheesy Good one!

I love this song. I think more people would like it had it been on, say, the Surfer Girl album.

Why does Brian's vocal sound so clear compared to other vocals of his from the mid-70's on?

I assume that Brian's vocal cords had recovered a bit from the cocaine damage done before Landy's first stint. When Brian took on the cocaine habit again after Landy was gone, his vocal cords were ruined for good, I guess.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »

Thing is, though...he had resumed usage before the MIU sessions and was relatively clean a year previous.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

Sorry to be pedantic but I thought that Lady Lynda was recorded some time before the MIU sessions and wasnt worked on in Iowa at all.

You are correct. "Lynda" was not worked on at MIU.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 10:21:02 AM »

Sorry to be pedantic but I thought that Lady Lynda was recorded some time before the MIU sessions and wasn;t worked on in Iowa at all.

Be pedantic away! You're right. My bad. It was recorded at Brother, I think, and turned up on Almost Summer - though not on the OST album, more's the pity. But I think it was considered for MIU. Either way, it's on my alt version.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 12:09:21 PM »

The gruff Brian voice totally perplexes me.  I almost think he was sick or something.. like bronchitis or whatever.  He never sounded like this ever again.   Oddly his falsetto was still solid on songs like Sherry She Needs Me and Airplane.
Bill Ed
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »

I remember hearing Wontcha Come Out Tonight on WREC, an AM radio station, back in 1978. It was particularly strange since the station was geared more towards talk radio, and most of the music they did play was geared towards old farts, my current demographic.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 01:09:02 PM »

http://youtu.be/GSLclEJ0IAQ

This is a  strange yet really intriguing Brian video from 1978. His voice sounds very damaged here.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 09:33:41 PM »

This is a  strange yet really intriguing Brian video from 1978. His voice sounds very damaged here.

That does not look like 1978 Brian. It looks like this is 1981, post Keepin' The Summer Alive.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 10:05:35 PM »

I agree with those who say Wontcha Come Out Tonight and She's Got Rhythm were cringe worthy.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »

Thing is, though...he had resumed usage before the MIU sessions and was relatively clean a year previous.

That's what I assumed though, that he went back to cocaine the minute Landy was gone, and Landy was gone before the MIU sessions. But the reason for his cleaner voice on MIU might be the non-using of cocaine the previous year. Apparently the cocaine drippings on one's vocal cords take some time to have a bad effect, and it takes some time to recover. My take is that at the time of the MIU sessions, his vocal cords had recovered because of his cocaine hiatus, and the cocaine taken at the time of the sessions had not yet re-ruined them.

Maybe I'm totally off-track, but that's what I think.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »

Interesting vid, thanks for posting, but re the voice - it does note at 1.18 (or thereabouts) that Brian told the crew he had laryngitis

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »

That does not look like 1978 Brian. It looks like this is 1981, post Keepin' The Summer Alive.
Check out the footage of Carl towards the end, looking a little ragged and crazy eyed - doesn't look like post KTSA Carl.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:27 AM »

I like Brian's lead on the verses. Reminds me of Match Point of Our love, which has grown to be my favorite on MIU.

The chorus, however, conjures up a mental image of the guys in a recording studio strutting around in circles like chickens and flapping their wings. The chorus has always sounded like singing cartoon chickens to me, particularly on the last 30 seconds or so. If this comes on the car stereo at a traffic light, you can bet I'm turning that down.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2014, 01:45:18 AM »

There is an alternate version of this song that is quite different to the released version, if I recall correctly.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2014, 04:14:14 AM »

That footage is from the 1978 pm magazine segment. The footage was all filmed at a May 1978 appearance in Oakland. What I always notice is how calm and real Brian seems there.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2014, 04:38:49 AM »

That footage is from the 1978 pm magazine segment. The footage was all filmed at a May 1978 appearance in Oakland. What I always notice is how calm and real Brian seems there.

Yes, I saw it the night it was televised on PM Magazine. I still remember my Dad, who was reading the newspaper at the time but glanced at the TV and said, "What's wrong with that guy?" I agree that Brian seemed "real" in the interview. He displayed emotion, thought about the question, and sounded articulate. However, I didn't think he was calm; actually he looks perturbed about something. It's one of the few times I have actually seen Brian "angry" in an interview. It remains one of my favorite Brian interviews, as short as it is. That Brian was so fascinating.

One quick thing on "Wontcha Come Out Tonight".... I haven't listened to it in years, but doesn't the vinyl Ten Years Of Harmony have a version of "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" which has a longer tag and a slightly different mix with the brass more prominent at the end. I could be wrong.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2014, 09:14:47 AM »

"That Same Song" should never have appeared ANYWHERE.  Awful.  THAT'S the tape that Brian should have burned.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »

Yes, I saw it the night it was televised on PM Magazine. I still remember my Dad, who was reading the newspaper at the time but glanced at the TV and said, "What's wrong with that guy?" I agree that Brian seemed "real" in the interview. He displayed emotion, thought about the question, and sounded articulate. However, I didn't think he was calm; actually he looks perturbed about something. It's one of the few times I have actually seen Brian "angry" in an interview. It remains one of my favorite Brian interviews, as short as it is. That Brian was so fascinating.

One quick thing on "Wontcha Come Out Tonight".... I haven't listened to it in years, but doesn't the vinyl Ten Years Of Harmony have a version of "Wontcha Come Out Tonight" which has a longer tag and a slightly different mix with the brass more prominent at the end. I could be wrong.
Yes indeed, it sure does.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »

Yes indeed, it sure does.

Is this on the CD too? Or just the original vinyl?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx