gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:17:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cool Auction starting soon  (Read 1278 times)
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2014, 04:19:56 PM »

Got a notice today from Gotta Have Rock and Roll  for a preview of their auction starting November 26th; Lots of signed LP covers, but two items that lcould be really neat! 

1; Original Capitol Gold Record Award for Surfer Girl LP, signed by Brian( on the glass, presumably) 
     http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/Brian_Wilson_Signed_Beach_Boys__Surfer_Girl__Origi-LOT14962.aspx

2; Original acetate of a " One Of A Kind BBs single" presumably sent to Jules Siegel by 16 Magazine  ??
    http://www.gottahaverockandroll.com/Beach_Boys_Original_Acetate-LOT14965.aspx   

No details for either item as of yet; presumably when the auction starts..

Full auction site here:  www.gottahaverockandroll.com

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 08:47:12 PM »

Could include another missing Smile piece like the recent Durrie Parks acetates!  Anyone have $10,000 to buy this?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:11:04 PM »

I hope they're sure of the content - the word "Monkees" is pencilled on the sleeve! Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:52:58 AM »

This is out on Wikipedia:

"During the 1960s, 16 Magazine introduced its readers to a variety of rock and roll/pop music acts, referred to by the editor and readers as 'Faves.' Some of those acts include The Beatles, Herman's Hermits, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Monkees, The Cowsills, Jim Morrison, and The Doors. The appearance of the 'faves' was highly selective. Some acts such as The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys received very little coverage in comparison to other bands, and many of the popular Motown acts were virtually ignored."

So I could see an scenario where 16 Magazine receives an advance Beach Boys acetate in the mail, and the editor says, "Meh, send this over to Siegel at Saturday Evening Post.  He likes the Beach Boys."

Lee
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 11:02:52 AM »

It's very unlikely 16 Magazine would have somehow received a unique Beach Boys acetate then forwarded it to Jules.

What could be more likely is that this acetate could indeed be a 1966-67 Beach Boys (or Brian) acetate which Jules was given or acquired directly from Brian, and which he simply used that envelope to store it in safely. Maybe 16 Magazine had sent him something previously, he had the envelope, he needed to protect and store something Beach Boys or Brian related, and this is what we see in the photo. It wasn't a Monkees disc, so Jules or someone taped a label on the envelope to remind what was really in there.

The bottom line I think would be actually putting a needle on this acetate and playing it before asking people to bid on it, especially since it appears to be unlabeled (lines up with descriptions Jules gave of the Smile acetates Brian played for him at the house, 1966). Maybe the auction house doesn't realize that if there is something Smile related on this disc, the value would increase enormously, as would the interest and bidding. I'm sure they also realize if this amounts to nothing unique, the value is shot, which is why perhaps no description of what is actually recorded on that acetate has been listed. Unless that info is coming soon.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx