gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 04:04:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy Soundtrack  (Read 62571 times)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2015, 01:41:39 PM »

When the BD hits in September, I'll "roll my own" for those two tracks.

True, they should be easy to extract from the movie.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2015, 02:03:30 PM »

I wish they included "Headphones" and "Deep End"...

Seems like every Smile piece got the shaft. That's really unfortunate.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 14, 2015, 02:22:53 PM »

On iTunes uk…

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 14, 2015, 02:42:09 PM »

Yep, sorry. BD = Blu-ray.  Just throwing slang around without any caution. Smiley

thanxx, I'm technology impaired

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2015, 03:47:44 PM »

Got 8 hours of driving tomorrow...I've been checking all day and did one final check at 11:40pm and boom! Tomorrows driving sorted...I suppose iTunes did stick to their word.. Undecided

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2015, 03:52:08 PM »

Surf's Up is an odd exclusion especially since Paul Dano sang it in the film.

puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2015, 04:39:27 PM »

Anybody hear any uncredited samples? I'm pretty sure there's electric bass from I'm So Young on Black Hole at 0:30.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 14, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »

Maybe some bonus tracks on the CD for marketing purposes?

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »

Maybe some bonus tracks on the CD for marketing purposes?

"Headphones" and "Deep End"...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 14, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »

Surf's Up is an odd exclusion especially since Paul Dano sang it in the film.

I was wondering about this myself and agree. The only thing I can think of is maybe there isn't a full take of Paul Dano singing and playing that song. That scene is sandwiched between two others. And, IIRC, "Surf's Up" morphs into "The Elements: Fire".

Was kind of hoping that maybe one of the deleted scenes is a full take of "Surf's Up". Fingers crossed.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2015, 06:26:10 PM »

BTW. Wirestone never did take my bet. Wink

What Love & Mercy soundtrack ? Have you seen one ? Has Capitol officially announced it yet ? Have I missed something ? What's the track listing ?

Bit of a given for a musical bio even if not 'official' yet.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6258962/love-mercy-john-cusack-paul-dano-brian-wilson-beach-boys

Capitol will release a soundtrack of Love & Mercy, Pohlad told Billboard, although he has no further details. He is still talking with distributors about picking up the film.

That was four months ago, when we still thought No Pier Pressure was coming out in 2014.

Things change. If the solo record is released alongside the movie, as now looks likely, there is no pressing commercial need for a soundtrack. Indeed, it would only compete with BW solo product.

I'd wager a tidy sum that it ain't happening.

I'll take Wirestones wager. $20 donation to the hosting costs of this board in the winners name. What do you say? Wink
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 14, 2015, 08:16:20 PM »

Jeepers. Could VDP really have been that crabby about how he was portrayed in the movie? I guess so.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 14, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »

Jeepers. Could VDP really have been that crabby about how he was portrayed in the movie? I guess so.

I don't think VDP has that kind of control.

YoungInMind
Smiley Smile Newbie

Anna Maria Island = my other home

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 14, 2015, 08:57:38 PM »

In My Car. They could've used it for a scene where someone's driving a car.
  I agree!   That's where many of Brian's songs came to him, while driving especially to the studio.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 14, 2015, 10:11:50 PM »

In all fairness, at least some of the early discussions here regarding a "soundtrack" seemed to be in reference to a typical "soundtrack" as opposed to the score, meaning solely BB/Brian recordings.

I don't think everyone in that discussion in January (or earlier) was referencing a potential CD with mostly Atticus Ross cues.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 15, 2015, 06:00:24 AM »

Probably because not many people had heard Atticus' score yet in January.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 15, 2015, 03:31:42 PM »

It's pretty amazing that this somehow is a complete work, like the film, yet in a somewhat modular form.  Atticus Ross does an amazing job with isolating the individual sounds from completed works in such a haunting way, interspersed with Brian's actual completed works.  I guess we could always say this or that could be in or out of the mix (like the RS top 100), but it's something I'm going to enjoy for years.  We have Ross's take.  I'm certain some of you will do interesting versions too.  Looking forward to them.  In the mean time, this is a treasure.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 15, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »

Very much so, Debbie KL!

I had started to perhaps lose hope that we would be seeing a soundtrack and was elated that it did indeed finally materialize. The presentation is terrific, the sequencing is well thought out. Some of the score is a bit out of sequence with the film but, it works as a whole album of music to call to mind specific moments in the film.

What is not present could be lamented and I certainly wish more had been included. That said, what is included is splendid and a nice companion to the Blu-ray/DVD release coming in a few short weeks.

thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 16, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »

Interestingly, it seems to still be missing from Spotify in the US.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 16, 2015, 10:16:13 AM »

Very much so, Debbie KL!

I had started to perhaps lose hope that we would be seeing a soundtrack and was elated that it did indeed finally materialize. The presentation is terrific, the sequencing is well thought out. Some of the score is a bit out of sequence with the film but, it works as a whole album of music to call to mind specific moments in the film.

What is not present could be lamented and I certainly wish more had been included. That said, what is included is splendid and a nice companion to the Blu-ray/DVD release coming in a few short weeks.

Agreed, and the delay in it's release is truly regrettable.  I suspect we'll never hear the entire story about that, but it's a shame.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 14, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »

Atticus Ross breaks down the score to 'Love & Mercy':

http://www.scpr.org/programs/the-frame/2015/09/14/44468/atticus-ross-breaks-down-the-score-to-love-mercy/

The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 15, 2015, 07:11:53 PM »

Does anyone know why Love and mercy soundtrack and DVD didnt come out on the same day? Usuallly CD's come out on Tuesdays aswell will this be avalible everywhere on friday?
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 15, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »

Does anyone know why Love and mercy soundtrack and DVD didnt come out on the same day? Usuallly CD's come out on Tuesdays aswell will this be avalible everywhere on friday?

The physical soundtrack wasn't released on Tuesday because the industry is implementing Friday as global record release day.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 15, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »

Thanks! So lots of new records for everyone tomorrow! Anything by the beach boys or Carl wilsons solo cd? Or just Love and Mercy Soundtrack album?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:12 AM »

There seems to be a weird transition phase going on in terms of music releases. Some stuff like “Love & Mercy” has now moved to the new Friday standard. But stuff like the indie reissue of Carl’s album is still on a Tuesday schedule. I think one of the main goals in the Friday standardization was to minimize stuff leaking/being pirated because it hits other markets first. So that pertains more to brand-new releases rather than small label releases of old material.

Then again, the two McCartney “Archive Collection” sets are also coming out on a Friday rather than Tuesday.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx