gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:31:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love and Mercy Soundtrack  (Read 62094 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:13 AM »

So all that horsecrap certain members were posting the other day about Mike Love sabotaging the release of the soundtrack was exactly that - horsecrap.

My spidersenses tell me some folks wanted it to be true though…

I see the soundtrack is attributed to "various artists" even tho' the Atticus Rose stuff seems to be all Beach Boys… assume therefore a blend of Brian solo stuff and Beach Boys stuff.

That's such a shame as he's left the Beach Boys behind and this is his moment in the sun and they did so much to hold him back and I'm certain they tried to delay this release and I hope they wipe their contributions off the tapes before this gets released and he just needs a big cuddle really.  I've got one at my house he could have. He's not hungry, he just thinks he's hungry. Wink
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 12:15:29 AM by John Manning » Logged

“We live in divisive times.”
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 28, 2015, 01:53:02 AM »

I think the filmmakers made a mistake in not featuring more of Brian's 80's music. Seems like the only 80's song anyone will remember is Love and Mercy. Would've been cool to have a few scenes of Brian/Cusak demoing Melt Away, Water Builds Up, Rio Grande. Inclusions like those would have helped create an interesting and different soundtrack album. As it is, I see little use for a soundtrack cd.

Yah, i would've liked that (there's so many '60s studio scenes as it is; why not show Brian at work in the '80s). But i guess it works best the way it turned out. The scenes of Brian "practicing" Let's Go to Heaven in My Car at the piano and Melinda meeting Brian at the studio give a good sense of how recording music was for him by that point.

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: July 28, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »

So all that horsecrap certain members were posting the other day about Mike Love sabotaging the release of the soundtrack was exactly that - horsecrap.

Breaking news: no-one here (OK, almost no-one here) has anything more than the wispiest notion of the internal workings of BriMel, BRI and the like. The real problem, and it's becoming increasingly scary, is that some don't know how much they don't know.

180 degree turn, which I must share: on A. N. Other forum, a poster condemned the soundtrack, claiming it was sub-par and why did they have to use a bad cover band - The California Beach Buoys - instead of the original BB tracks. He'd seen the film, then ten days later heard the soundtrack, or so he claimed. This is that album:

Love and Mercy "soundtrack"

Laugh ? I had to change my shorts.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 28, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »

Breaking news: no-one here (OK, almost no-one here) has anything more than the wispiest notion of the internal workings of BriMel, BRI and the like. The real problem, and it's becoming increasingly scary, is that some don't know how much they don't know.

180 degree turn, which I must share: on A. N. Other forum, a poster condemned the soundtrack, claiming it was sub-par and why did they have to use a bad cover band - The California Beach Buoys - instead of the original BB tracks. He'd seen the film, then ten days later heard the soundtrack, or so he claimed. This is that album:

Love and Mercy "soundtrack"

Laugh ? I had to change my shorts.  Grin

Yup, lot's of thumping of chests and now...crickets. Would love to hear some apologies. How about those with "insider" information give us updates on what changed???
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2015, 05:29:48 PM »

Looks legit.  LOL

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 28, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »

That has been on iTunes since early July. Just someones idea of a "Soundtrack Cover Album".  Must be a new genre.

Luckily, that release has zero to do with the actual LOVE & MERCY Soundtrack that is due on September 18th.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2015, 05:54:53 PM »

That has been on iTunes since early July. Just someones idea of a "Soundtrack Cover Album".  Must be a new genre.

Luckily, that release has zero to do with the actual LOVE & MERCY Soundtrack that is due on September 18th.

Well, it's got the same name, so it has Sth to do with the actual one

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2015, 06:09:27 PM »

Well, it's got the same name, so it has Sth to do with the actual one

I'm sure I share the same name with many people but they have nothing to do with me, personally.  Just making the point so no one scrolling through this thread confuses things.

At any rate, for those interested, Barnes & Noble has the listing on their site as well.  And you can actually pre-order there.  Amazon hasn't given the option yet to pre-order.  And for anyone keeping score at home, the UPC is 0602547507976.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/love-mercy/28959332?ean=0602547507976

Hoping for cover art and track-listing soon.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 29, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »

Someone created a Wikipedia entry (not me I swear!) for the L&M Soundtrack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_%26_Mercy_%28soundtrack%29

Haven't skimmed it to see if any new info is present...on my way out the door from work.

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »

Although obviously happy that it's happening now, the sad truth is that by not having all the shareholders sign off on the OST in the early spring -- when the original screenings were held -- there's a very real chance that the soundtrack will miss out on Grammy consideration.

Most of Grammy voters have had ample time to live with the soundtrack discs before the 10/2 official deadline.

Hopefully we're gonna get to the point when the parties realize that it's ONE brand.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 29, 2015, 03:08:31 PM »

Although obviously happy that it's happening now, the sad truth is that by not having all the shareholders sign off on the OST in the early spring -- when the original screenings were held -- there's a very real chance that the soundtrack will miss out on Grammy consideration.

Most of Grammy voters have had ample time to live with the soundtrack discs before the 10/2 official deadline.

Hopefully we're gonna get to the point when the parties realize that it's ONE brand.

I doubt that will ever happen, at least until there's only one party to make the choice

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »

Amazon doesn't have a release date on its page anymore. And the B&N page is skimpy at best.

Count me skeptical until we have a press release.

And I will never apologize for believing the worst about Mike. He has earned it.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2015, 04:28:28 PM »

Amazon doesn't have a release date on its page anymore. And the B&N page is skimpy at best.

I noticed Monday night on my Amazon app that the release date wasn't there. If you go to the actual web, via an actual web browser, it has the same listing that has been there Monday.

B&N actually has more info than the Amazon page has, specifically the UPC code.

Last night, I did a quick chat with Amazon customer service and inquired about the listing. I was told that these types of listings come directly from the source provider, in this case the label. So it is as "official" as you can get, at this point, I think.

And, count me as someone that thinks maybe this was the plan all along. That is, to release the soundtrack at the same time as the BD/DVD. That has been the pattern with other recent Roadside Attractions films if you look at the release dates; clearly this doesn't deviate from their recent norm.

Basically, I don't think Myke Luhv has anything to do with he delay.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »

I noticed Monday night on my Amazon app that the release date wasn't there. If you go to the actual web, via an actual web browser, it has the same listing that has been there Monday.

B&N actually has more info than the Amazon page has, specifically the UPC code.

Last night, I did a quick chat with Amazon customer service and inquired about the listing. I was told that these types of listings come directly from the source provider, in this case the label. So it is as "official" as you can get, at this point, I think.

And, count me as someone that thinks maybe this was the plan all along. That is, to release the soundtrack at the same time as the BD/DVD. That has been the pattern with other recent Roadside Attractions films if you look at the release dates; clearly this doesn't deviate from their recent norm.

Basically, I don't think Myke Luhv has anything to do with he delay.

I think one can imply from the director's comments that they wanted this out several months ago, and that some sort of delay did occur.  Whomever is at fault, I'm pretty sure they would have had this out around May if they could have. It may have been delayed to the point where they felt it was better to tie it into the BD/DVD release than nothing at all.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:59:13 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »

So JCM,

I'm curious -- is your theory that Mike Love's camp (can't do the cutesy name spell, sorry) had nothing to do with (at least) the soundtrack's delay only have to do with Roadside Attractions' recent soundtracks corresponding with their DVD releases OR from your conversations with numerous people involved in the film, the Beach Boys, the soundtrack?

Or is it a combination of both?
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »

I recall the interview from early June where Bill Pohlad said 'we’re working on it now, there are complications because there are bits of songs from different eras, and it should be out soon after the film', or something like that.

Just trying to stick with what is known, rather than what is not known. Opinions are fine and I have mine too, quite frankly all I care about is that the thing is finally come out. That's what matters most to me.

sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2015, 05:20:04 PM »

So JCM,

I'm curious -- is your theory that Mike Love's camp (can't do the cutesy name spell, sorry) had nothing to do with (at least) the soundtrack's delay only have to do with Roadside Attractions' recent soundtracks corresponding with their DVD releases OR from your conversations with numerous people involved in the film, the Beach Boys, the soundtrack?

Or is it a combination of both?

Obviously I have no connections to anyone, nor do not claim to.

I only know what I have read, that a soundtrack would come out (Billboard, last September and several times since) and comments from the parties involved (Bill Pohlad, Oren Moverman) in interviews. I'm not privy to any "inside" information.

If you know something that's fine, definitely not trying to step on anyone's toes.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2015, 05:21:53 PM »

I want the soundtrack, JCM! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »

I know something.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2015, 05:26:30 PM »

I want the soundtrack, JCM! Grin

You and me both, homie. I'm tempted to speculate what might be on it but I don't want to start that..

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2015, 09:27:29 PM »

Amazon doesn't have a release date on its page anymore.

When I click on the 'See all formats and editions' link the  'Audio CD, September 18, 2015' still comes up.

Date still comes up further down page under 'Product Details' as well.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:30:01 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2015, 11:18:49 PM »

I won't enjoy listening to it as much if it hasn't got a Grammy. Sad

“We live in divisive times.”
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2015, 03:11:32 AM »

I won't enjoy listening to it as much if it hasn't got a Grammy. Sad
Don't be glum - Follow L&M OST up by listening to Carl's reissue CD coming out roughly the same time.  That's got a Grammy.

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2015, 07:06:49 AM »

I know something.

Howie, you're just a big ol' tease.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:07 PM »

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/love-mercy-cd-original-soundtrack/4335120.p?id=3412304&skuId=4335120

Neat, the soundtrack is listed on the Best Buy website now.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx